PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Bash Script to rucurrsively create directories

habtish
November 8th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Since I have to use a windows machine at work, I am using Cygwin to emulate the *nix environment and am asking for your help in creating a bash script to do the following...

I have 20+ directories in a drive 'N' (/cygdrive/n). I want to scan all these directories for the presence of a sub-directory 'abc*' and if it doesn't exist, to create an empty directory with the name 'abc'.

How can I achieve this?

Thanks!

geirha
November 8th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Something like this perhaps?

find -type d -not -name abc -exec install -v -d "{}/abc" \;

ThinkBuntu
November 8th, 2007, 06:21 PM
Random, but nice user pic. Does this make you the Conquering Lion of Judah?

habtish
November 8th, 2007, 07:53 PM
Something like this perhaps?

find -type d -not -name abc -exec install -v -d "{}/abc" \;

OK, so what I am trying to do is look for a folder that starts with UPC, it could be named 'UPC List' or UPC Lists. If the folder exists, skip, if not create a folder named 'UPC List' as a sub-directory in all of the 20 directories I have.

htb@TIMS20050822B /cygdrive/p
$ find -type d -not -name UPC* -exec install -v -d "{}/UPC\List" \;
install: creating directory `./UPC'
install: creating directory `./UPC/List'
install: creating directory `./Dls/UPC'
install: creating directory `./Dls/UPC/List'
install: creating directory `./Dls/ftp%3a%2f%2fmirrors.kernel.org%2fsourceware%2
fcygwin/UPC'
install: creating directory `./Dls/ftp%3a%2f%2fmirrors.kernel.org%2fsourceware%2
fcygwin/UPC/List'
fcygwin/release/UPC'
fcygwin/release/UPC/List'
fcygwin/release/a2ps/UPC'
fcygwin/release/a2ps/UPC/List'
fcygwin/release/a2ps/UPC/List/UPC'
fcygwin/release/a2ps/UPC/List/UPC/List'
fcygwin/release/a2ps/UPC/List/UPC/List/UPC'
fcygwin/release/a2ps/UPC/List/UPC/List/UPC/List'
fcygwin/release/a2ps/UPC/List/UPC/List/UPC/List/UPC'
In the above example, I tested the command you gave me on a network drive P:\ [cygdrive/p] and under a directory called 'Dls', I created a folder 'UPC_list' and in another folder on the P:\ drive called 'Pics', I created another folder called 'UPC List'.

So I wanted to see if the command quoted above was going to skip the P:\Pics folder as well as the P:\Dls folder and make a directory called "UPC List" in the other directories....

What it did was, it created a directory UPC on P:\, on P:\Dls, P:\Pics, P:\Dls\ftp ... at this point I stopped the command since it was not doing what I had wanted it to do... any suggestions?

habtish
November 8th, 2007, 07:57 PM
Random, but nice user pic. Does this make you the Conquering Lion of Judah?

It used to be the official seal of my country back when we had a king who claimed to have a direct linage to King Solomon;'His Imperial Majesty King H/Selassie Conquering Lion of Judah' or something like that... I just use it to identify myself as an Ethiopian :)

geirha
November 8th, 2007, 10:56 PM
Sorry, I missed the * in "abc*" there. That makes it a bit more complex.
I believe this should work.

for dir in `find -type d -not -name "UPC*"`; do
if ! ls "$dir/UPC"* &>/dev/null; then
install -v -d "$dir/UPC List"
fi
done

habtish
November 9th, 2007, 08:05 PM
Sorry, I missed the * in "abc*" there. That makes it a bit more complex.
I believe this should work.

fi
done

geirha, I really appreciate your help in this. The script above resulted in making a directory in the P:\ called 'dir' and the under that 'dir' directory it made another folder called 'UPC List"... hmmm what are we missing?

$ for dir in `find -type d -not -name "UPC*"`; do
> if !ls "$dir/UPC"* &>/dev/null; then
if ls "$dir/UPC"* &>/dev/null; then
> install -v -d "dir /UPC List"
> fi
> done
install: creating directory `dir '
install: creating directory `dir /UPC List'

geirha
November 9th, 2007, 08:11 PM
you've misspelled the install-line there. Try copy/pasting the whole thing.

edit: and also, there's a rogue if-line there as well

habtish
November 9th, 2007, 08:22 PM
Bah, I missed the $ in the $dir, my apologies... part of it worked. Here's what I had in the P:\ drive.

$ ls
Pics another one synopsis.pdf
Dls Space Stuff generate.sh test
In the directory "Space", I created a "UPC Lists" folder to see if the script would skip it since it starts with UPC*.
The script ran fine and created a directory "UPC List" in the parent /, all the subfolders including /Space, which it should have skipped....

Edit: Also for folders that have spaces > "another one" in my example above, it created new folders, "another" and "one" and populated those with "UPC List", how can we account for spaces in directory names?

geirha
November 9th, 2007, 08:26 PM
install -v -d "dir /UPC List" you also have a space which should not be there.

install -v -d "$dir/UPC List" no space between "$dir" and "/UPC List"

geirha
November 9th, 2007, 08:41 PM
We're not handling directories with spaces properly. Better make it a script like this:
#!/bin/bash

IFS=$'\n'
fi
done

the $IFS (Internal Field Seperator) by default seperates on any whitespace, By setting it to only seperate on newline, we avoid splitting on spaces in directory-names.

habtish
November 9th, 2007, 08:46 PM
Worked like a charm. You are a life saver!!!

Thanks a bunch for following up on this and helping me through it.....Thank You!!