PDA

View Full Version : Last.fm

MattBD
November 8th, 2007, 02:32 PM
What do people think of Last.fm? I've been on there since June this year and I love it. There's loads of stuff I've discovered through there that I wouldn't have found otherwise.
I particularly love the fact that they not only provide a Linux client, but they have a .deb package specifically for Ubuntu, and they now have their own repository for apt-get so you can get new versions as they become available. It's rare that a website like that supports open source so well.
The only thing it really needs is a way for me to sync my iPod with my profile in Ubuntu (but that's not really their fault).
Any thoughts? Or are there competitors that you like better?

seopher
November 8th, 2007, 02:39 PM
I've been a member of Audioscrobbler since 2004, so I've seen the whole thing progress. It's really very very good.

23meg
November 8th, 2007, 02:44 PM
I particularly love the fact that they not only provide a Linux client, but they have a .deb package specifically for Ubuntu, and they now have their own repository for apt-get so you can get new versions as they become available. It's rare that a website like that supports open source so well.

It's no surprise, given that their whole infrastructure is FOSS.

cyclefiend2000
November 8th, 2007, 02:44 PM
it is ok. trying to listen to music through their player is annoying. it always seems to get musicians i dont like.

MattBD
November 8th, 2007, 02:56 PM
it is ok. trying to listen to music through their player is annoying. it always seems to get musicians i dont like.

True, but you can ban them at the click of a mouse button. And you can also play it in Amarok (although I've found that skipping or banning tracks takes ages in Amarok - one of the very few failings it has)

cyclefiend2000
November 8th, 2007, 03:07 PM
i usually listen at work and it is a pain to try and ban songs all the time while i am trying to work.

MattBD
November 8th, 2007, 03:20 PM
So do I - often if I'm going out after work I'll just take my headphones with me, rather than my iPod, and it means I've got something to listen to but I don't have to worry about carrying the iPod around on a night out.

Tomosaur
November 8th, 2007, 04:13 PM
I love it, I'm going to subscribe when I get some money (student)!

MattBD
November 8th, 2007, 04:20 PM
I've subscribed, and it's well worth it - for £18 I get so much more out of it. Also I use it virtually every day.
It's not worth it if you're only a casual user, but if you use it as often as I do, it's a bargain.

SomeGuyDude
November 8th, 2007, 05:19 PM
Definitely a fan, but I was really hoping one of the various Linux audio programs would integrate better with it. I dislike having multiple pieces of software for what's basically the same function.

lespaul_rentals
November 8th, 2007, 06:23 PM
Definitely a fan, but I was really hoping one of the various Linux audio programs would integrate better with it. I dislike having multiple pieces of software for what's basically the same function.

Rhythmbox and Amarok have always integrated fine for me.

b0ng0
November 8th, 2007, 06:54 PM
It's not too bad. Mainly I like it because I can see what my listening habits have been, and also for finding new artists. I don't use it much as a community though.

sanderella
November 8th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Not my scene :-|

UbuWu
November 8th, 2007, 09:17 PM
If you like last.fm, you will love Last Exit (http://www.lastexit-player.org/), much better than the official linux player. (install (apt:last-exit))

ticopelp
November 8th, 2007, 09:32 PM
It's not too bad. Mainly I like it because I can see what my listening habits have been, and also for finding new artists. I don't use it much as a community though.

Same here.

Lostincyberspace
November 8th, 2007, 09:45 PM
I have tried both Last FM and Pandora and there are things I like about both, I really think they should merge in to one super online radio.

UbuWu
November 9th, 2007, 07:30 PM
I have tried both Last FM and Pandora and there are things I like about both, I really think they should merge in to one super online radio.

http://pandorafm.real-ity.com/