PDA

View Full Version : Why should we switch to Ubuntu? Pinoys let us know!!

F-22
November 8th, 2007, 02:16 PM
Dami ng lumilipat, why make a switch?

Samhain13
November 8th, 2007, 02:22 PM
Why not? :)

ericartman
November 8th, 2007, 03:19 PM
In my case because it's fun, keeps my brain working, it is something new to learn. Also Ubuntu has opened my eyes to how much I can do with a computer. I get to tell my computer what to do, it doesn't get to tell me.

Cart

Chainz
November 8th, 2007, 03:32 PM
In my case because it's fun, keeps my brain working, it is something new to learn. Also Ubuntu has opened my eyes to how much I can do with a computer. I get to tell my computer what to do, it doesn't get to tell me.

Cart

I wouldn't find better words for that!!! :D

oOJINxOo
November 8th, 2007, 03:45 PM
sorry if this comes across rude in anyway, its just you see people asking this question all the time, sept instead of ubuntu its linux, but to get to my point, You shouldnt switch 2 ubuntu unless you really want to, if you use linux already or have done for many years then why not give it a try, if your coming from windows then ya, same again, giving it a try never hurt anyone (back up all your stuff you CANT afford to lose before hand) as i've always said to anyone moving from winblows to linux 'its time to wave goodbye to that silly clown suit of an OS, and get to know your computer properly for the first time'
anyone new 2 linux, and i know someones bound to moan when I say this, get 2 know the CLI, even though Gnome/Kubuntu & other window managers have lovely gui tools 2 make your life easier, your still going 2 need 2 one day, and when you do, you'll never look back.

good luck 2 anyone new to ubuntu
I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

loell
November 8th, 2007, 05:35 PM
oOJINxOo posting the switch question to the philippine base users can lead to an interesting discussion, :)

for example

to a non technical savy user, why switch, when my cousin / friend / brother had a pirated xp installer? ordinary homes user even believes, that you don't pay for the OS, but you only pay a small fraction to the technician for installing the win OS added with tons of probably pirated awesome kiddy games.

to a technical oriented user: from an IT student, why bother switching when i'm so busy studying an almost all MS base tools and curriculum?

to an office user: eh? we're still running win98 and its still lean and mean, usable isolated( no internet connection) office pc, why would I/we switch?

these questions are really common to the philippine setting.

fmontserrat
November 9th, 2007, 09:48 AM
One of the underlying assumptions for using Ubuntu--and Linux in general--is that there is willful intent on the part of the user to use the distro at his disposal, to learn the rudiments at his own pace, and to share in the risks and benefits of this experience. And this I believe is true for everyone who has been using Ubuntu.

Now why Ubuntu? Well, we can say a lot of good things about Ubuntu. It's virus-free. It has cool thingies like Compiz and GIMP. It works just like Windows (even better in fact!) that I can even customize my desktop to look like Vista. (A big nyahahaha on that one!)

But if we want to persuade others to switch to Ubuntu, we have to market the Ubuntu experience creatively--and it's not about telling but showing them what exciting things our little distro hides under its sleeves.

ragadanga63
November 9th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Vista Ultimate: P 26,000.00
MS Office 2007 Pro: 17,000.00
Xara Extreme: 10,500.00
Paintshop Pro: 4,500.00
Total: P 58,000.00

Ubuntu Gutsy with Compiz, Open Office, XaraLX, GIMP: 15.00 (cost of CD installer)

Or you can be Captain Jack Sparrow's buddy.

grokwik
November 9th, 2007, 12:49 PM
...a bit of all :
it's free
it's muuuuuuch more reliable
it has no virus
for (almost) every problem there's a solution on the forum
it's more cute ;)

oOJINxOo
November 9th, 2007, 03:46 PM
oOJINxOo posting the switch question to the philippine base users can lead to an interesting discussion, :)

for example

to a non technical savy user, why switch, when my cousin / friend / brother had a pirated xp installer? ordinary homes user even believes, that you don't pay for the OS, but you only pay a small fraction to the technician for installing the win OS added with tons of probably pirated awesome kiddy games.

to a technical oriented user: from an IT student, why bother switching when i'm so busy studying an almost all MS base tools and curriculum?

to an office user: eh? we're still running win98 and its still lean and mean, usable isolated( no internet connection) office pc, why would I/we switch?

you make a good point, I suppose the question could also be 'what advantanges are there to people switching', the first thing that comes to mind is a less M$ dependant world, which would hopefully result in a much more computer savy world, but what ever works really.

rjmdomingo2003
November 11th, 2007, 08:05 AM
Nag-switch ako kasi pagod na kong mag-"religiously" maintain at mag-protect ng PC ko from malware, then annually renew my anti-malware subscription; motivated akong matuto ng linux; and coz it's FREE.

kopinux
November 12th, 2007, 02:23 AM
Vista Ultimate: P 26,000.00
MS Office 2007 Pro: 17,000.00
Xara Extreme: 10,500.00
Paintshop Pro: 4,500.00
Total: P 58,000.00

Ubuntu Gutsy with Compiz, Open Office, XaraLX, GIMP: 15.00 (cost of CD installer)

Or you can be Captain Jack Sparrow's buddy.

perfect!

its like smoking, its really expensive in the long run and painful to quit at first, but you have to start somewhere. and this is not yet the bad part, in the next and every 5-8 years your gonna do this upgrade again, called windows7. windows8 windows9 windows10~windows100.

baka hindi pa nasali diyan kung magkano yung *visual studio at 3d studio max.''

our government should too,

grokwik
November 12th, 2007, 10:49 AM
My wife that I consider as a basic user (she doesn't even know what the cd command is) works better on Ubuntu than on Windows (I had a 2K pro) ; as she tell : it's much faster, and much more reliable.
Now another point, up to me, a computer is a complicate machine and so really needs an administrator. You can't ask a basic user to execute a huge command line if he doesn't understand what it means.
Considering that, every computer without anybody competent person to take care of will be unstable.
On a window, it will result on a unsecure machine, full of spam and viruses, on a Ubuntu, it will be a machine with a bad configuration.

business.geek
November 14th, 2007, 01:48 AM
Here are some of the reasons why I switched to Linux (Ubuntu) or open source in general.

I have a personal vow NEVER to buy / use / borrow / download anything that violates Intellectual Property rights. So since i cant afford buying a license for Windows XP / Vista, I was glad that open source software are available to fill this Gap.
being a systems administrator, I need to learn about servers like web, firewalls etc. But I cant learn windows servers since I cant afford to it, even the company i worked with does not have a budget for windows servers. So open source is the best way to go.
With the vast amount of resources and a supportive community, open source projects like Ubuntu, freebsd and the like allows me to expand my knowledge in IT at more cost efficient pace.
I like the way the communities of open source projects accept members (generally)

But this is my... just a humble opinion.... cheers!

ichi_730
November 14th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Because its FREE. You dont have to buy its applications because when you intalled this.. its already a package... But not free as beer.. and its safe you dont have to worry that N.B.I might confiscate your O.S. Lol=D>

kopinux
November 16th, 2007, 05:03 AM
hindi lang libre ito rin ay legal, kaya tigilan na ang pagiging kolorum.

meron kayo tatlong choice, pay(windows), learn(linux), kulong(kolorums)

Nessa
November 19th, 2007, 04:22 AM
Napagod ako sa kakabayad ng 500 pesos bawat reinstall ng pirated na XP kapag nag-crash.

Elijah
November 19th, 2007, 09:37 AM
500 every crash? awts..

Nagswitch ako because sa:
- price
- it works!

Surgeon General
November 19th, 2007, 07:23 PM
Napagod ako sa kakabayad ng 500 pesos bawat reinstall ng pirated na XP kapag nag-crash.

500 kada reinstall?

sa akin 100 lang. pero reinstall tayo 5 times a day! :lolflag:

Surgeon General
November 19th, 2007, 07:29 PM

for example

for the first point, BSA is your friend (may sideline ka pa) :lolflag:

second point, that's why we need to band together and push together for FOSS in our country. start tayo sa iskul at internet kapihan.

and to the last point, BSA is your friend again. :-)

really, pakiki-sama na wala sa lugar is the major thing (though not the only thing) holding our country from moving forward.

grokwik
November 20th, 2007, 08:59 AM

just because I'm curious : what's this language ?

loell
November 20th, 2007, 09:08 AM
just because I'm curious : what's this language ?

its Filipino/ Tagalog , and you are in ubuntu philippine loco forum ;)

grokwik
November 20th, 2007, 10:14 AM
:D :D :D
True, I didn't even notice !
Great, I learnt something today ;)

wilvyrux
November 28th, 2007, 04:46 PM
y we switch?
just because we need to save money...hehehe2..right?

we switch to linux because its opensource and virus free....
u dont need to install a virus scanner to protect our machine...
like before if you are using windows before you surf to the internet you need to install a virus scanner...but now?..
But now?...we dont nid any virus scanner on my machine...

because linux is GOOD for US....heheheh2...:guitar:

Samhain13
November 29th, 2007, 01:12 AM
Ako, may katangahang ginawa kaya napilitan magpalit sa Ubuntu.

Nung una, dual boot ako ng Windows at Ubuntu (6.10). Ang balak ko lang noon, papag-aralan ko ang Ubuntu para may extra akong alam. Pero sa XP pa rin sana ako magtatrabaho.

Kaso nakakita ako ng Beryl videos sa YouTube at sobra kong kinaaliwan. Nagsaliksik ako at napag-alaman kong maaari kong patakbuhin yung Beryl sa computer ko. Siyempre ayokong maniwala! Matanda na tong computer ko eh, at ang pag-iisip ko ay "pambagong computer lang yang mga ganyan".

Nakahanap ako ng "howto" kaya sinubukan kong gawin sa Ubuntu install ko. Kaso, siyempre baguhan, may mali akong ginawa at nasira ko yung xorg.conf. Eh hindi ko naman alam noon kung papano mag-restore nun galing sa backup (baguhan nga eh). Kaya ang ginawa ko, nag-reinstall na lang ako ng Ubuntu dahil madali lang naman.

Heto ang katangahan kong ginawa. Hehehehe! Sa pag-partition ng HD ko, ang pinili ko "use available space"! Hahahaha! Nabura na ang Windows XP ko!!! Kaya ayun, wala nang atrasan!

Awa ng Diyos, maganda naman talaga ang Ubuntu. Kaya kahit nung makakita ako ng Vista (sa laptop ng ate ko) at ng Leopard (sa gamit ng isang cliente ko), wala na akong interes-- hindi na ako nadadala sa eye candy nila.

Kamakailan, nasunugan ako ng power supply. Nang magpalit ako, minabuti ko na din mag-upgrade kaya nagdagdag ako ng RAM (1GB na siya ngayon) at bumili ng bagong video card. Hoohoohoo! Ok na ako dito! Ang nakikita ko, may tatlong taon pa ulit bago ako magpalit ng computer. Malaking bagay yun para sa isang freelancer, ang hindi gumastos nang madalas para sa gamit kasi siyempre hindi naman regular ang kita. :)

ichi_730
November 29th, 2007, 03:19 AM
Why switch? its because you can save your money using Linux OS.. and you dont have to pay for its applications.. its free and safe.. and it has many features just like WINDOWS XP.. Linux is FREE but not CHEAP..:)

kopinux
November 29th, 2007, 03:28 AM
lifestyle na natin ito, hindi ang pinoy mag share ng softwares at games. bawal ito sa mundo ng MS. kaya laganap ang piracy.

let us not change the lifestyle, but change the software we use.

ichi_730
November 29th, 2007, 08:14 AM
lifestyle na natin ito, hindi ang pinoy mag share ng softwares at games. bawal ito sa mundo ng MS. kaya laganap ang piracy.

let us not change the lifestyle, but change the software we use.

Yes I agree to that..

ragadanga63
November 30th, 2007, 03:48 AM
Ewan ko ba, pero sa Ubuntu everything seems to run smoothly and flawlessly-kahit MS products and Windows apps na pinatakbo via Wine. For example, dual-booting ako with Vista on my laptop. With Vista, di ko na mabilang kung ilang beses na siyang naghang at minsan di ko na nga mashutdown(genuine OEM ang Vista na 'to). With Ubuntu on the same laptop, I've never experienced any apps freezing.

For me, Ubuntu is a joy to use. Kaya dito na ako, and looking forward to that day when I completely wipe off Wind*ws in all my pc's I own.

(Lumuhod at nagdasal na sana meron nang Linux driver ang Minolta printer ko).

gmarvz
February 16th, 2008, 05:29 AM
Hello,

Share niyo naman bakit ubuntu ang napili niyong distro sa dinami-dami ng linux distro na available..

ako, ubuntu napili ko kasi napaka user-friendly talaga at napaka ganda ng support from different communties and organizations kaya mas madali makahanap ng sagot sa mga problema sa paggamit nito. balak ko pag bumili na ako ng laptop instead of buying an expensive windows genuine OS i will just install linux ubuntu probably hardy heron is released that time.. hehe

Samhain13
February 16th, 2008, 01:51 PM
^ Ubuntu pa lang at DSL ang nasusubukan ko.
Madami din akong nadidinig na maganda tungkol sa Linux Mint (na Ubuntu-based din) at sa Mandriva. Kaso, sa ngayon kasi nakuha ko na ang set-up na tama lang para sa akin. Nakakapagtrabaho na ako nang maayos-- bukod sa ilang problema sa hardware, medyo luma na kasi.

mobster
February 16th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Ako po new user ng Ubuntu 6.10 kso lang nahihirapan ako mag install ng kung anu-ano, and paduguan para mapagana ung modem ko buti nalang nakahiram ako ng external na modem. so please naman sa mga experts dyan guide nyo naman ako kung pano pasikot-sikot sa ubuntu 6.10

Shippou
February 16th, 2008, 06:55 PM
I do think, and is obvious, that the most dominant OS today is Microsoft Windows, and so I am posting this in comparison with this OS.

Basically, Ubuntu is Linux, and if people encounter the term, they usually say, "Nu ba yan, ang cheap! Linux! Sa iyo na!" and goes around boasting their malware-infested system (which they do not even know anything about) to millions of Linux users all around the world, thinking their operating system's more advanced and deserves the Nobel Price.

Well, as all I can say, Linux is more superior (for me) than other operating systems, maybe more superior than Mac. For one thing, it has received a lot of support (as evidenced by many (in fact very many) forums regarding every distro available). Second, improvements to already a strong code is still ongoing and still in the midst of many Linux distros available many are still introduced and released. Third, and foremost, Linux is free - a tremendous advantage to people who don't even have money to upgrade their system, even more to buy an operating system.

But then, what makes Ubuntu better?

I think that this is because Ubuntu has been geared with the average user in mind. What I mean by average here is what they call the computer illiterate - those who do not know how to use the computer. Sounds degoratory? I think so. But then it is the definition (so don't nag me about it!), and I think so too, as also evidenced by this forum and in the statement in the registration form that we are all green users,

Ubuntu, as compared with other operating systems, also has a lot of support - from forum members to the programmers themselves. And all is willing to help each other (I recently registered to this forums because I think it is fun helping Linux users in my capability).

Also, Ubuntu is a well-designed operating system - fast in booting, a well-designed interface, and a well-organized menus and applications. It is also user-friendly. Some of you may reject this, especially Windows users, but then, do we learn integrals in one day? Linux is also like that, and after you have mastered it, you can even modify parts of its code to suit your needs,

I know there are disadvantages in switching to Linux, primarily of .exe files not working, but then Linux has many repositories where you can find equivalent applications of Windows, just browse and search the net. There are four possibilities: 1. Browse through the synaptic manager or your own manager (mine is adept); 2, Search the net for source codes and binaries and also instructions to compile them; 3, Ask other people to program it for you; 4. Program the software yourself.

Another compatibility issue arise with .doc, .xls. .ppt, and other windows-affiliated files. OpenOffice addresses this compatibility issues, and I do hope in the near future it could also decipher .dosx, .pptx, and the like files (the formats used by Windows Office 2007).

Another issue arises with drivers. But I do know that a little browse and click will solve the problem, since many people already posted solutions to this problem.

But then, come to think of the benefits you can get from Linux: 1. No in-the-wild viruses
2. Little or no security breaches
3. Telling the computer what you want it to do, not the other way around
4. FREE LEGITIMATE SOFTWARE (not cracked or pirated, as is most commonly done by Windows users with not enough money just to join the Windows craze)
5. The feel of being unique without the danger of being isolated.

That's all; I think I have explained enough.

If you choose an OS, choose Linux
If you choose Linux, choose Ubuntu
If you choose Ubuntu, choose one of the following
Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Edubuntu

If your options' not the above
Then feel free to choose here:
Knoppix, Minix, Slackware, OpenSuSe
Or any other distro (I forgot ArkLinux)

Well if your choice is not Linux
Choose among this OS's
Mac, Solaris, Contiki, BSD
But please, put Windows at the least.

*That is not a bit poetic but then what the heck? :)

God bless to you all.. :)

edwpalomo
February 19th, 2008, 02:29 PM
san po makakakuha ng LiveCD ng ubuntu 7.10??

gmarvz
February 19th, 2008, 03:30 PM
san po makakakuha ng LiveCD ng ubuntu 7.10??

d2 po: http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

paalala lng po.. tingin ko nagpost na din po kayo ng kagaya nitong topic.. sana po magpost po tayo sa tamang lugar at iisang post lng po.. salamat

rasmus91
February 19th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Why switch?

It's so superior!
all the standards are so much higher than ANY windows ever made!
ITS FREE!
its much easier to use
you can get a load of programs for free
if you can't enter you hard drive og something it always has a solution to the problem, something you can write in the command line. (unlike Windows with its "go to support" and then they have some *** licking suggestion for what you could try... but no real solution)

it doesn't hurt to try out the system, its easy to change back to default.

Its fast, much faster than windows.

by the way, im a pretty new user to ubuntu my self, but i already love it, i still dual boot xp, but its no big deal i just have to learn how to use this system a bit better, and i will wave windows goodbye!

-Ubuntu forever!!

gmarvz
February 19th, 2008, 06:10 PM
yeah, i am falling in love with ubuntu and linux in general right now... i think i am already addicted into this wicked owning stuff! i even printed logos and stickers just to emphasize my support for ubuntu and i am very proud to be one of the fortunate users who had the courage to try and has been amazed... more power ubuntu! and all the supporters

edwpalomo
February 19th, 2008, 10:26 PM
Good morning... san po ba makakakuha ng LiveCD ng Ubuntu 7.10 dito sa Manila? Saan din po ba makakabili ng Ubuntu Merchandise? thanks,..

loell
February 20th, 2008, 02:21 AM
Good morning... san po ba makakakuha ng LiveCD ng Ubuntu 7.10 dito sa Manila? Saan din po ba makakabili ng Ubuntu Merchandise? thanks,..

@edwpalomo, please refrain from double/ repetitive postings

gmarvz already gave you an answer

d2 po: http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

paalala lng po.. tingin ko nagpost na din po kayo ng kagaya nitong topic.. sana po magpost po tayo sa tamang lugar at iisang post lng po.. salamat

pmcastillo
February 22nd, 2008, 03:38 AM
I think it's my time to post here naman.... Well here is my "unbiased" reason bakit mostly Ubuntu na gamit ko:

Well sa totoo naka-dual boot ako, may XP, may Ubuntu. It all started kase as I am a Programmer:

Matagal ko ng gusto na magkaroon ng isang operating system na fully-customizable to suit my wants and need, so sabi nila Linux fully-customizable daw upto the smallest bit. As a programmers, I also want to venture on "Multiplatform Programming". So in-order na ma-test ko yung programs ko, dapat meron akong linux sa computer. As nagustuhan ko rin yung essence ng "Free" as in "Free Speech", para matulungan ako sa programming ko, not because of good IDEs but because the community is OPENLY providing their code, thus a system evolve. Ang isa pang panghatak sa akin ay yung "Free", as in "Libre", para pasok na pasok when it comes to feasibility studies at saka isa ko rin etong research how to be on the "Legal" side of computing (parang KJ ako noh!) Pero totoo eto, OMB ay naglilinis na ng pirated OS dito sa Pinas. Pero medyo takot pa ako sa Linux, hindi ko pa kase alam paano mag-dual boot, baka masira yung XP partition ko.

So, research-research lang muna ako on the top linux distros, tapos...... "Hmmmmm.... ano eto? Free CDs? At free delivery pa? Hmmmm.... Ma-try kaya ^_^ Wala namang mawawala sa akin eh... ^_^" After that nag-research pa ako paano mag-dual boot at paano mag-install ng Ubuntu...

At.... Dumating nga!!! Ganda ng packaging! Lufet ng CDs! Ma-try nga! So, ipinirint
ko yung mga tutorials how to install Ubuntu, and there! May Ubuntu na ako sa PC ko.

Eto na, ang pinaka-objective ko muna at makapag-internet para makapag-ask pa ng tulong, nagpost ako sa forums unfortunately.... walang matinong replies.... nag-research din ako paano maayos yung PPPoE ko kaso..... masyadong confusing. Here's the thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=331976

So na-tigil ang aking Ubuntu experience, and I said to myself: I need more knowledge to use Ubuntu.

And then, may bago akong balita, may Gutsy Gibbon na daw sa Ubuntu, so, order ulet ako ng CDs. Tapos nung dumating, try ko nalang mag LiveCD. But this time, naayos yung PPPoE ko! At masaya pa, nade-detect yung NTFS partitions ko! Kaya yung mga MP3s ko napaplay ko sa Amarok ko ^_^ So, ininstall ko na yung Ubuntu and there may Ubuntu na ako.

So, may Ubuntu at may XP na ako, pero bakit mas nagtagal ako sa Ubuntu? For one, speed. Grabeh mag-load yung XP ko parang 30mins, dito naman sa Ubuntu mga 5-10mins lang, at mostly ang ginagawa ko lang ay internet kaya pwede na sa akin yung Ubuntu. Iniisip ko, bakit kaya? Well ang isa kong nasaisip eh, Eh kase walang anti-virus ng Ubuntu. At sa tingin ko tama nga, nahahalata ko, sa tagal ng pagu-Ubuntu ko, hindi pa ako nai-infect. In fact, ako oa nga yung naglilinis ng mga virus-infected Flash Disk ng mga ka-classmates ko.

Sa tagal ng pagu-Ubuntu ko, nahalata ko, "You can be independent in Ubuntu". May OpenOffice dyan, na nagbe-behave na parang MS Office, may Amarok dyan na nagbe-behave na parang WinAmp, may GIMP dyan na nagbe-behave na parang Photoshop. At saka free lahat sila, hindi evaluation, hindi trial, wala ng crack na hahanapin, fully-featured sila. All in all enough sila para mabuhay ako sa Ubuntu. At saka eto pa yung "mindset ko":

1.) Kailangan ko ng ganito...
2.) Sa XP partition ko meron ako neto...
3.) Blah!!! Pero ang tagal mag-boot ng XP ko, ayoko na nga!
4.) Siguro may Linux alternative sila dito... O_O

So as time goes by, dumami na yung kewl programs ko sa Ubuntu ^_^ At yung alloted na 2GB ko lang sa Ubuntu partition ko ay kulang na ^_^ (kaya papalakihin ko ulet yung partition size ko ng Ubuntu)

So, ang next goal ko ay.... to make a "Multiplatform Softwares".... TO BE CONTINUED hehe....

Nhatz
February 22nd, 2008, 08:40 AM
Linux (Ubuntu) = Virus Free = ASTIG!
Windows = With Free Virus
Hehehehehe.....
Astig! :guitar:

youtin
February 23rd, 2008, 07:56 PM
Why I installed Ubuntu on my PC: (though dual boot with XP)

1. The constant fight with Viruses and spyware is driving me crazy.
2. The Kaspersky Team got smart and devised a way to detect non-registered software :-#
3. Because of this, Windows has become too high maintenance and "fighting" the attacks has taken too much of my precious spare time.
4. I can install as much as I want guilt free.
5. Learning something new is fun.
6. Ubuntu looks cool and user-friendly
7. Linux makes me feel more like a geek :KS

echo2knight
February 24th, 2008, 09:17 AM
Why I installed Ubuntu on my PC: (though dual boot with XP)

7. Linux makes me feel more like a geek :KS

IMHO, learning Linux does not mean one is geeky. Let's just say were more techie than most windows users!!!!

My Reasons:

1. Its more powerful, requiring dated hardware.
2. It doesnt require you to purchase high-end hardware to use current software technology.
3. Using free software doesnt mean were cheap!
4. Allows us to learn more what is inside our computer. Linux is much more interactive IMHO.
5. Linux allows users to be unique compared to stereotypical users of windoze.

glenn45
February 29th, 2008, 09:30 AM
mobster, okey lang yan. Hindi kasing hirap ng physics yan. Hehehehee.
eh upgrade mo na lang siguro sa 7.10 talaga. di na kasi supported yung 6.10 eh.

ch1c0dj
April 26th, 2008, 08:39 PM
dahil nandito ang bukas ng IT in terms of OS

tech0007
April 26th, 2008, 09:11 PM
libre!!!!!!!!!!

killer_d76
April 26th, 2008, 10:09 PM
"The best thing in life is FREE!".. and i think ubuntu is the best Free OS to date! IMHO :guitar:

lixx
April 26th, 2008, 11:06 PM
Tight security, stable enough for me, and amazing desktop effects ~ kahit na low end hardware ;) haha

rphil2008
April 27th, 2008, 01:47 AM
why switch to ubuntu? of all the distros I tried,

1. Using linux helps develop good computing habits. You will need to fix things in Linux, alright but chances are you will succeed with the help of fellow users in the forums.
2. I like Ubuntu's look and feel the most: its gorgeous outside, smart inside.
3. The default software in the installation are well chosen.
4. OpenOffice looked sexy and worked like a charm in the Ubuntu desktop.
5. It has a lot more software in the repository to play with.
6. It's forums are a big help.
7. It posses that professional polish that is cute at the same time.
8 It is free and legal to distribute.
9. There is deep satisfaction in knowing you are not using pirated software.
10. It gives you a feeling of OWNERSHIP of the software without any GUILT, especially when you had to manually fix somethings on it and succeed in doing so!
11. You belong to those group who are intrepid enough to dare walk where others fear to tread... thanks to the countless developers who work on it out of a deep sense of purpose other than money.
12. Ubuntu promises fresh, new OS every six months!

eric_son
April 28th, 2008, 09:16 AM
10. It gives you a feeling of OWNERSHIP of the software without any GUILT, especially when you had to manually fix somethings on it and succeed in doing so!

Agree! :) I started my Linux adventure with Feisty. When I upgraded to Gutsy, my video got broken and so did my sound. The help I got in this forum was phenomenal! I eventually got to fix the problem.
Now I'm using Hardy and am still very happy.

11. You belong to those group who are intrepid enough to dare walk where others fear to tread... thanks to the countless developers who work on it out of a deep sense of purpose other than money.

I hope more people join the intrepid group.

Nhatz
April 28th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Alam kong mahilig mga pinoy sa pirata pero mag mahilig tayo sa libre... hehehehe :)
Saan ka pa... sa pirata o sa LIBRE?
sempre sa LIBRE!
Astig! :guitar:

Laibcoms
April 28th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Well for me, I didn't "switch" per se because my first OS is GNU/Linux not MS Windows. MS Windows is my second, then third Mac OSses.

But why switch?

GNU/Linux is free as in free-of-charge
GNU/Linux is free as in free speech or freedom (free to copy redistribute; free to build upon (ie create your own new software using the codes found inside the OS; etc.)
(K)Ubuntu is the easiest and most "switcher"-friendly OS (ie those coming from MS Windows)
Stable
Virus/Trojans/Malwares/etc. are almost non-existent (that's 99.99999999% non-existent)
If you know how to code, you can fix problems that you found quickly
If you know how to code, you can add features that you need freely (again - free here means freedom) - no risks of getting sued for "reverse engineering" or "hacking" or "cracking" or voiding your software license (because GNU/Linux and Ubuntu's License is GNU GPL)
Well, you can do a lot more with your PC than by using proprietary OS like Microsoft Windows
Of course, YOU LEARN and use your brain ;) Hey it's not hard at all :p Kids can learn GNU/Linux, specifically (K)Ubuntu faster and more than MS Windows, why not adults?

The list goes on. Like for example, OpenGL > DirectX hehe... it's light, you don't need 4gb of RAM just to run an OS like Vista which eats 2gb RAM for the OS only.

jmazaredo
April 29th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Sinung lumipat? Gumagamit parin ako windows. yun lang talaga prefer ko is linux for server since 1st kc libre at madali mag update lalong lalo na yung may mga apt-get aptitude urpmi hohohoho. mas madali kesa mag download at mag install. Less sa mga virus at trojans and working for low end computers!!!!

Archmage
April 29th, 2008, 02:12 PM
- It runs better on the hardware (on my PC Vista wont install and XP does run VERY slowly), but Ubuntu (or even Xbuntu) runs very good.

- The only OS that is speaking Tagalog (I don't know about the other dialects)

- Much easier to install and update software

- Everything leagal

adredz
May 1st, 2008, 05:08 AM
for me , the most logical and compelling reason i could think is that..
BILL GATE$ is very ugly. i hate to inevitably picture out that creepy face whenever i see M$.:lolflag:

yssida
May 1st, 2008, 06:55 AM
You shouldn't use Ubuntu if you have no reason to do so. If Windows is doing it's job for you and you religiously scan for viruses, get patches and updates, defrag constantly, then for the love of God don't switch, unless you really really want to try Ubuntu. Chances are you won't really need to switch to Ubuntu (see footnote)The problem with some Windows users installing Ubuntu on their machine is finding out that it isn't Windows, and isn't fulfilling their wants and expectations. Ubuntu has come a long way, with hardware support out of the box (mostly), compare that with a Windows intall, you'd have to find the drivers by yourself. But I guess for some, this isn't enough.

However, if you do choose Ubuntu for whatever reason you may have, then Ubuntu is sure to welcome you with open arms.

footnote: I guess this is one of the problems Ubuntu and Linux in general, they seem to not like the idea of a 'Windows replacement', users need OS that is capable of delivering what Windows and Mac can do. There is lack of 3rd party support. There is lack of 3rd party support because Linux doesn't have a large market share. It doesn't have a large market share because there aren't commercial 3rd party apps. There are good FLOSS alternatives, and it is hoped that they will fill the void. We can only hope. Adobe, get working on that CS3 linux port already!

The good thing about Ubuntu is your conscience is free knowing you aren't pirating.

Samhain13
May 2nd, 2008, 05:24 PM
Huwag kayong mag-Ubuntu!
Pag dumami ang mga nag-Ubuntu, dadami ang mga guwapo at magaganda sa Pilipinas. Gusto namin, konti lang kami!

:lolflag:

jmazaredo
May 2nd, 2008, 05:32 PM
Ok lang na gumamit nang ubuntu tama sya popogi ka at gaganda pero sigurado ako sayo pogi rin ako!!!!

adredz
May 3rd, 2008, 04:20 PM
pano pag d pogi yung katamtaman lang tulad ko?:) pero cgurado ako mas pogi ako kesa ky Bill Gate$ :lolflag:
seriously i use linux 'cause of its "philosophy". it's the main reason...and hey it's FREE! where can you get a gem like this that costs $0?:)

stat5bot
May 6th, 2008, 10:13 AM
curious on what ubuntu is.. tsaka, para maiba naman at hindi puro windows ang nasa utak ko lang..

Samhain13
May 6th, 2008, 02:28 PM
^ Ubuntu, Linux OS. Dual boot ka muna para mapaglaruan mo konti. Ok din gamitin lalo na kung mahilig ka sa mga burloloy. Karamihan sa amin dito, dual boot din nagsimula hangga't tuluyan nang sumabak sa Ubuntu-only na sistema.

Nakaisang taon na din ako na Ubuntu-only. Dami nga lang talagang adjustments sa simula. :)

perbiu
May 7th, 2008, 01:59 AM
Dahil oras na para makita nila ang Kubuntu(KDE4) desktop.

linuxisfree
May 7th, 2008, 01:17 PM
The initial reason i made the switch was because i became REALLY TIRED of labeling myself as a "pirate" (since i couldn't exactly afford genuine M$ applications, which is common here in the Philippines). I later found it (Linux / Ubuntu) to be Waaaay more stable, much less bloated, and less prone to viruses. I also knew that I'M NO GAMER, and had therefore no actual reason to keep my Windows OS.

BTW, i'm VERY HAPPY i made the switch! Oh, and these forums made it LOADS easier, so Thanks, guys and gals!!!

rjmdomingo2003
May 7th, 2008, 06:13 PM
The initial reason i made the switch was because i became REALLY TIRED of labeling myself as a "pirate" (since i couldn't exactly afford genuine M$ applications, which is common here in the Philippines). I later found it (Linux / Ubuntu) to be Waaaay more stable, much less bloated, and less prone to viruses. I also knew that I'M NO GAMER, and had therefore no actual reason to keep my Windows OS.

BTW, i'm VERY HAPPY i made the switch! Oh, and these forums made it LOADS easier, so Thanks, guys and gals!!!
10 months na kong nag-switch, and very satisfied with the OS. Got the necessary hardware to work except for the wireless.

@linuxisfree.. san ka sa makati? dun ako dati sa medina, malapit sa washington. nasa cavite na kami nakatira.

ch1c0dj
May 19th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Take a glimpse.
http://www.whylinuxisbetter.net/

ache109
June 14th, 2008, 08:42 AM
meron bang forum ang pinoys for windows? gusto k lng mlaman....

loell
June 14th, 2008, 08:53 AM
meron bang forum ang pinoys for windows? gusto k lng mlaman....

yeah, alam nga ni Mr. google eh ;)

http://msforums.ph/

king leoric
June 14th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Ang reason ko why I switched to linux??? La lang just for fun. My MS if genuine but my apps are not :lolflag:. Just tried and right now still on dual boot with XP for some games. But everday use, office, multimedia, browsing, I am using my Linux machine. Medyo nakakapanibago pero parang ganun din naman nung first time ko humawak ng computer at baguhan sa MS :lolflag: db mga tropapips??????? But it is very very fun discovering the WORLD of LINUX! Cheers!!!

ubuntu rocks:guitar:

gothdaddee
June 19th, 2008, 11:03 PM
1. libre
2. GPL
3. sumusunod sa gusto mo mangyari
4. pwede install kahit ilang pc
5. hindi pwede hulihin ang pc shop mo
6. very active community
7. ayoko na bumalik sa ganitong senaryo:
- mag install ng OS
- mag install ng drivers
- mag install ng mga applications
- mag install ng anti virus at kung ano ano pang proteksyon
- mag update ng anti virus at mga security measures parati
- babagal na ang pc mo dahil sa sobrang dami ng mga programs
running in background para lang protektahan ka.
- maiinfect pa din ang pc at masisira na ang installation mo
ng OS, ayaw na talaga marecover so babalik ka uli sa
simula.
- kung sakali naman hindi ka mainfect, babagal pa din ang pc
mo dahil sa dami ng install/uninstall at updates na ginawa
mo kaya magulo na ang registry at file system mo kaya kung
gusto mo mapabilis uli kahit konti, uulitin mo ang
installation mo para malinis uli

kur0sawa
June 20th, 2008, 01:32 AM
napagod kaka restart!:)

phx12noon
June 20th, 2008, 05:38 AM
Because it's 1. free 2. Virus-Free.

As soon as I can get some of the games to work on Wine...I'm going to switch out M$ XP to Edubuntu Gutsy with Wine.

The only problem is to get Edubuntu to work with the numerous A4-TECH webcams that are sold mostly in the southern Luzon region.

Nessa
June 20th, 2008, 06:05 AM
Parang Juicy Fruit. Wala lang. ;)

king leoric
June 20th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Ang reason ko why I switched to linux??? La lang just for fun. My MS if genuine but my apps are not :lolflag:. Just tried and right now still on dual boot with XP for some games. But everday use, office, multimedia, browsing, I am using my Linux machine. Medyo nakakapanibago pero parang ganun din naman nung first time ko humawak ng computer at baguhan sa MS :lolflag: db mga tropapips??????? But it is very very fun discovering the WORLD of LINUX! Cheers!!!

ubuntu rocks:guitar:

Karagdagan sa sinabi ko nung una......

Ang Linux kasi, SARAP KALIKUTIN! :lolflag: at saka ma costumize mo ang Linux the way you wanted:)

ache109
June 21st, 2008, 02:10 PM
I like linux, mostly ubuntu for some reasons:
1.It's free and no need of nasty drivers.. (but sometimes)
2.Isang cd andun na lahat. Hindi mo na kelangan mag install ng MS office on a seperate CD costs for about 20 k.
3.Mas "good looking" si Linus Torvalds kesa kay Bill Gates.. (according to others),
4.like the sudo apt-get thing...
5.Open the add/remove applications at andun na lahat ng mga apps para sa PC mo
6.Pede kahit sa mga antique na computers.
7.Rythmbox player has a feature na pede mong i-play ang songs ng ipod mo kahit wala kang itunes.
8."Live CD" and "Dual Boot" thingy
9.Customization
10. No need of service packs which hindi available sa mga piratang OS ng windows. (Sa ubuntu nga lang kelangan mo i-update ang PC mo after 3 yrs)
11.NO VIRUS!!!
12.Can play everything (sounds, videos...)
13.Wine app.

Satisfied na ako sa ubuntu kaya lang encountered lang ng mga problems:
-ung ibang windows apps hindi supported ng wine
-walang drivers ang video card ko (which runs S3 graphics prosavage 8...) kaya hindi ko ma-enable ang desktop effects...
-the shutdown texts (the etc/rc.local) which hindi ko pa alam kung san naggagaling ang mga iyon...

RATED
8/10 stars
good for starters, but not for gamers and developers...

s_a_l_m_o_n
November 22nd, 2008, 11:51 AM
hello all,

anyone at Taguig and busy with server edition 8.10?

edit: i hope, this is not "fishy" to you. Maybe wrong thread...
Greets
salmon

kiminaiseah
November 22nd, 2008, 06:18 PM
hello all,

anyone at Taguig and busy with server edition 8.10?

edit: i hope, this is not "fishy" to you. Maybe wrong thread...
Greets
salmon

hehehe i never use ubuntu server edition rather using debian etch/lenny/sid for clean install LAMP Debian only takes 800MB more or less for installation on disk. compare to ubuntu server edition it takes 2GB or more :D..

gtechmyk
November 23rd, 2008, 03:18 AM
why switch to ubuntu?

kc using ubuntu its just like my computer reflects my own personality. yng bang u can customize everything you want to your OS on how the way you want.. lahat pwede u gawin ayon sa gusto mo and you are free to do it.

bcoz before when i was using windows its just like i was in a cage wherein it doesnt satisfy my needs. yng bang parang my kulang pa. my gusto kang baguhin o gawin sa OS mo pero hindi mo magawa. and infact sakit pa sa ulo dahil palagi pa nabavirus. butas pa bulsa mo.
my discrimination pa. pano? for example u are using a crack or let say pirated version of windows. parang bang d mo maipagmayabang kc pirated yng OS. especially lalo na kng for business purpose yng OS mo.. dahil natatakot mahuli ng marshall ng windows.. yng bang pag pirated version ang gamit mo eh prang criminal na ang tingin sau..

thanks to ubuntu. where every people looks equal.. where you recognize who you really are. you have liberty to express you true self. atlis ngayon pag tinanong ako kng anong OS ko. i say with confidence and no fear at all that my OS is UBUNTU..

not like before nung windows pa gamit ko.. anong OS gamit ng laptop. actually windows den nagagwa ko pa magsinungaling at sabihin yap original yan kahit na crack lang gamit ko..

Free yourself.. experience FREEDOM with UBUNTU...

gtechmyk
November 23rd, 2008, 03:25 AM
good for starters, but not for gamers and developers...

what do you mean by that?
is it UBUNTU?

wersdaluv
November 23rd, 2008, 03:57 PM
Why?

Secreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet :D Hindi ko sasabihin koyah

KaiJordanDay
November 23rd, 2008, 04:01 PM
For me its:

My Fan was burning with the pressure of Windows
1GB of Ram didnt cut it with Vista
I wanted to try something new
I like fixing challenges
Viruses have ruined my worked on many of an occasion
Its Free
Has great support
Theres always an answer
Dual Bootable
Great for general use
Great for office use

All it needs now is native shockwave support ;P

ichi_730
November 24th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Hindi rin tumitigil ang windows sa pagdagdag ng nakakainis na versions.. :-x

Script Warlock
November 24th, 2008, 04:57 PM
sorry nadoble pwede delete dis....

Script Warlock
November 24th, 2008, 04:57 PM
ako gusto maglipat kc nga linux is a revolutionary OS na puro kabaligtaran ang systema..

why baligtad? nasabi nyo na lahat...

aci016
December 5th, 2008, 01:22 PM
walalang, nuong una kailangan sa school, mas madali kasi ang buhay kapag nagagaya un setup ng computerlab, kesa naghahanap ng windows versions ng kailangan na software/compilers.

pahamak minsan ang livecd saka ang windows na c compiler, pag natry na sa lab un code, nagsesegmentation fault pala.

maraming perks ang ubuntu, masaya kapag may nagawa kang kababalaghan tapos naayos mo, walang virus, saka higit sa lahat libre! saka aun nga mas madaling nakakasunod sa lab works.