PDA

View Full Version : Cloths shopping, what's in?

Henaro
November 8th, 2007, 04:33 AM
Hey everyone~

I'm going clothes shopping on Saturday. I lack much of a fashion sense and I dress like a reject rapper mixed with a nerd. I'm wondering "what's in?". A lot of the white kids at my school wear polos (bright colors like pink, red and blue), khakis and sandals, but that is kind of... gay. I'd love to wear collard dress shirts to school, but that may be too much (I go to a public high school mind you). I was thinking maybe, darkly colored dress shirts. Maybe in purple or black. Is that "in"? Or am I way off? What do you guys recommend?

Thanks,
Hen

Lostincyberspace
November 8th, 2007, 04:45 AM
This a forum mostly made up of geeks so any answers here could be pretty skewed.

MicroChris
November 8th, 2007, 04:50 AM
The casual nerd look that's "in" for me, atleast for the season, is a long sleeve collared shirt with a knit sweater over it. I guess it can be described as "preppy" but I think it looks great.

I bought a collared shirt and knit sweater from Old Navy for 25~ bucks. May be "expensive" for some peoples taste but I think it looks great.

Linuxratty
November 8th, 2007, 05:23 AM
That sounds good...Personally,I never have cared what's "in" and just wore what I wanted. ..I'm still that way. I ignore fashion trends as much as i can.
Who was it that said:"Fashion is so ugly it changes very six months." :?:

cyclefiend2000
November 8th, 2007, 05:27 AM
in??

for me, free company logo polos (thanks boss!) and khakis. gave us company logo jackets last year... YES! i'd wear company logo pants, socks and underwear if it was all free!

yes ... i admit it... i am cheap.

frup
November 8th, 2007, 05:30 AM
I would recommend you just wear what ever you feel good in. I'm not a teenager any more though so I guess I don't get as nervous about these kinds of things... My school also had uniforms.

My standard dress sense consists of Jeans, T-shirt, Polo's, Shirts, Denim Shorts, and various Jumpers and Sweat Shirts.

I would not say what you wear matters, what's more important is that it fits well (or as intended). I see this being a problem especially around pubescent boys, if you observe them (especially the geekier looking ones) you will see that apart from general posture the geekiness is often caused by ill-fitting clothes, no matter how fashionable the label or style may be.

n3tfury
November 8th, 2007, 05:41 AM
washcloths or...?

-grubby
November 8th, 2007, 05:48 AM
I usually just wear kind of 'loose' t-shirts and jeans. Maybe I look too casual.

adam.tropics
November 8th, 2007, 07:32 AM
http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts/generic/8753/zoom/

TeaSwigger
November 8th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Pretty much the same clothes I saw in L.A. back around 1984.

Seriously. Ever since then there's been a) the usual cliques (geek, goth, gangsta, punk, citified country etc, all of which were already stale in 1984) or b) splitting hairs in a rediculous attempt to discern cultural matters from mild variances in mundane clothes (more or less like so: "oh I know if he's gay, because he happens to be wearing a pair of sandals from a KMart special like the other five million people who bought them"). Hair has changed more, but barely, and that mostly between say 1984 and 1994, and that in similar veins.

And odds are that it'll be the same blasted stuff with minor variations in almost any sizeable city anywhere in the world. I went down to Mexico and never saw any native styles. Unless it was put on for the tourists.

It's changing technology that folks have been focused on, not much else cuturally.

Hm quite a rant eh? :p

This a forum mostly made up of geeks so any answers here could be pretty skewed.

Which you are or aren't represenative of? ;) Just elbowing you.

sp0onman
November 8th, 2007, 09:44 AM
somewhere along the lines of this:
http://homepage.mac.com/onehundredbhq/.Public/mchammer.jpg

adam.tropics
November 8th, 2007, 09:51 AM
limited edition (https://shop.canonical.com/product_info.php?products_id=91)...must be really special!

TeaSwigger
November 8th, 2007, 10:47 AM
There isn't, however incredibly, a Chiana t-shirt. Were there, that's one thing that would always be in. ;)

somewhere along the lines of this:
http://homepage.mac.com/onehundredbhq/.Public/mchammer.jpg

Hey I meant real people in L.A. in 1984, not M.C. Hammer in '70's Retro Flash kitsch mode. :lol:

Did you know such things as photos of M.C.Hammer are among the "cultural history" being immaculately preserved in that underground facility in... where was it... Indiana? Anyways, preserved, whilst a few years back, originals of the Beatles first album cover shoot were still sitting out in a card board box with a paper pasted on saying "do not put in rubbish" in a minor side office room in London and were accidentally thrown out by the non-english-speaking cleaning lady... *sigh*

BigSilly
November 8th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Oh, you mean clothes!!

I thought - cloths?? :confused:

:lolflag:

TeaSwigger
November 8th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Oh, you mean clothes!!

I thought - cloths?? :confused:

:lolflag:

Oh he said cloths!

Think Microfiber, man. That's the in thing.

(Personally I'd prefer to see micro- ...well, dragged this out enough eh? Night folks...)

Banished
November 8th, 2007, 03:35 PM
How exciting! I love shopping...

Choose what you feel comfortable in...and I second frup's advice about the fit, it makes a difference. As well as the feel of the material, choose lighter materials (feels better on and good for layering).

Skip the bright colored polos, I think they start looking pretentious when everyone is wearing them. Just start with the basics and build from that.

You want a comfortable looking pair of jeans and a pair of khakis (it's all about the pants). Not too baggy, not too tight.

For shirts, layers are in see http://www.ae.com/web/browse/category_shop_by_outfit.jsp?catId=cat10038

It sounds like you are more comfortable with darker colors, so I would recommend getting a zip-up hoodie or sweater in black, dark gray, or brown. Keep the clothes that you plan to wear more often neutral (black, grey, brown, beige, white), so you can mix and match with brighter shirts, if you feel like it.

For shirts, I would actually recommend going to used clothing stores (the style of men shirts are always the same). Use them as accents under jackets, hoodies, or sweaters. Get different colors, and just have fun with it.

daynah
November 8th, 2007, 04:02 PM
The whole bright colored thing you mentioned is way to trendy for me to like on a guy.

I like dark sweaters that FIT. Floppy sweaters are yuck, make you look fat. They should be up against your body, even if your are hefty, 'cause it makes the fat guys look hot too. :D but floppy just looks sloppy. But we all know too tight looks bad also. Well fitting is important.

Dark sweaters can go on their own, or over a button up... and they don't have to be just black, like purple and green and blue. And different textures, and ribbed, and different collars.

But I tell you what, a well fitting sweater on a man gives me the vapors.

(a pink polo does not.)

Humph
November 8th, 2007, 04:40 PM
My personal preference is for T-Shirts, Chinos, big jumpers and hiking boots, although my wife does gently tease me about my so-called style.

I've never liked wearing "proper" shirts, although I do concede that they do look smarter for more formal occasions. I even have a proper dinner-jacket and bow tie for posh evening attire, and a charcoal grey business suit for the rare events that demand a certain degree of formalwear (i.e. interviews, weddings and funerals).

sanderella
November 8th, 2007, 08:01 PM
Dishcloths are very IN especially the paper kind. :popcorn:

a12ctic
November 8th, 2007, 09:01 PM
Skinny jeans, band shirts, and pattern hoodies.

Henaro
November 8th, 2007, 11:58 PM
It sounds like you are more comfortable with darker colors, so I would recommend getting a zip-up hoodie or sweater in black, dark gray, or brown. Keep the clothes that you plan to wear more often neutral (black, grey, brown, beige, white), so you can mix and match with brighter shirts, if you feel like it.

For shirts, I would actually recommend going to used clothing stores (the style of men shirts are always the same). Use them as accents under jackets, hoodies, or sweaters. Get different colors, and just have fun with it.

I'll keep this in mind thank you. :)

Dishcloths are very IN especially the paper kind. :popcorn:

Duly noted ;).

blackspyder
November 9th, 2007, 12:06 AM
Comfy Levi's and Blank Dickies Tee Shirts and work shirts . Its what i've worn since 1998 (i also got Camo Cargo pants and what ever came free with tools or Christmas)

Speaking of stuff I wore in High School I found a pair of JNCO TwinCannons yesterday buried in my closet. (anyone who remembers these jeans knows why they were buried)