PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to buy my first guitar-- help :)

herbster
November 8th, 2007, 04:06 AM
I'm getting a guitar next week and have been checking online, there are some great resources and I'm learning quite a bit.

I am pretty set on getting an acoustic right now, and am curious if there's any specific models you folks would recommend as well as any online stores y'all could vouch for.

TIA!! :)

EDIT: Budget is around ~$300.

Linuxratty
November 8th, 2007, 04:14 AM
Since you are just starting,might i suggest you look for a second hand guitar...When I played guitar,both of mine were second hand (or as some people say,twice loved.). Also,do learn to play by ear,it will serve you well when you are ready to jam with other acoustic musicians.

herbster
November 8th, 2007, 04:54 AM
linuxratty,

I was considering that, but as it's to be my birthday gift I've asked the family to get nothing else and just chip in on this :D

Here's a few that seem quite good, tough to decide:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Washburn-D100DL-Acoustic-Guitar-with-Gig-Bag?sku=513382

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Washburn-D10S-Acoustic-Guitar-?sku=515152

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Hummingbird-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=518028

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Dove-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=518210

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-FG730S-Solid-Top-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=519049

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Washburn-D30S-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=515929

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seagull-?sku=512366

upfwnv03
November 8th, 2007, 04:56 AM
You might have a look at musiciansfriend.com. They have scratch & dent sales. Pretty good choice of makers, price range, etc. Find a good local music store and get to know the sales people. They can offer many insights into an instrument, not to mention you'll be able to try before you buy. One word of advice, when you do decide on one - get the best you can afford. Nothing is more frustrating than having a guitar you have to fight to play. Especially when first starting. Good Luck, It's a wonderful journey.

willdex
November 8th, 2007, 05:38 AM
Hey, try BestBuy's Fender StarCaster package - that's what I've got for myself: it's got the guitar, amp, gig bag, cable, strap, tuner, DVD, strings and 3 picks - made my day!

cyclefiend2000
November 8th, 2007, 05:39 AM
i agree with upfwnv03, get the best you can afford. that said, my first guitar was a washburn acoustic. like it and still own it. i wouldnt get their cheapest model though (just me). mine is similar to the ones you posted in the $250-300 range.

are there any guitar stores near you? i would highly recommend playing a few before deciding on one. even if you cant play a note, hold them fiddle around with them, look at the craftsmanship (are there big blobs of glue visible.... what is the hardware like, etc). i am a fan of new/used dealers. lots of times you can get a really nice, barely played guitar for cheapish. i like supporting the hometown guys too. get to know them, you are going to need lots of strings arent gonna want to wait on shipping!

one other thing.... a decent case is well worth the money.

n3tfury
November 8th, 2007, 05:44 AM
whatever you find online, find a local store and play it first also, it's fine to start playing by ear so you'll learn to "tune" them over time, but some music theory is always a good thing. don't underestimate that if you plan on sticking with it.

p.s. musician's friend is the best online resource as you've seen.

The Tronyx
November 8th, 2007, 05:49 AM
There's some nice Canadian acoustics by a company called Seagull. Pretty affordable and a very nice sound.
http://www.seagullguitars.com/intro.htm

keyboardashtray
November 8th, 2007, 06:19 AM
Whatever you do don't get an Esteban - buzzing strings, etc. - the "deal" really is too good to be true.

Yeah check out Musician's Friend. You could subscribe to their free catalog, it is great, but be prepared to have catalogs coming out your ears.

Oh and my advice is to buy a stand, too. All the hardcores sites talk about babying your guitar, put it in the case every night, etc - but if you really want to learn it, you want to have it accessible, so that you can doodle on it any time you have 5-10 minutes, or an hour. And one way to do that is buy a simple nice stand you can set it on, instead of having to unpack it from the case every time.

For this reason, don't go nuts price wise on your first guitar. You don't want something you are afraid to touch. Three hundred should be perfect for a first guitar + stand and little odds and ends. Like a set of strings, etc. An electric tuner too. These things add up! But you gotta have a tuner, at least to start.

(This is all assuming you are just starting)

D-EJ915
November 8th, 2007, 06:44 AM
Estebans are pieces of ****, my old roommate had one, the frets looke like if someone had taken a metal file to them hahaha, wow what a pos.

Anyway, Seagulls are awesome acoustics, definitely top-notch guitars. My friend has an Ibanez acoustic which sounds pretty nice, it's brighter than usual which works for me.

SomeGuyDude
November 8th, 2007, 07:04 AM
My Fender acoustic is just delicious. I play it more than my electric. A lot of the time when I can't think I'll pull it out and just pick at it absent-mindedly until I either happen upon a sound I really like or I solve whatever problem I was stuck with.

aimran
November 8th, 2007, 07:10 AM
Just to suggest something different...

May I suggest an electric guitar with decent acoustic qualities? It'll come in handy for all sorts of situation* - I used to have one :)

*Including late night playing. Without plugging it into the amp it's loud enough but not as loud as an acoustic so as to disturb my flatmates - of which I do a lot when I'm bored while burning the midnight oil.

herbster
November 8th, 2007, 07:19 AM
Okay I am pretty sure I'll be getting the Seagull S6, nothing but great reviews and price is in range.

And to clear up my confusion:

- What else would I need with an acoustic? ie., Tuner, strings, etc.
- Would a case or bag be recommended? I don't plan on taking it out of the house much at all, especially as I'm just starting and will be practicing at home regularly.
- In many reviews of various guitars I note that people replace the strings, is this is a difficult process and is it really necessary??

keyboardashtray
November 8th, 2007, 07:34 AM
What else would I need with an acoustic? ie., Tuner, strings, etc.

Tuner, must. Spare set of strings, good idea, but you can hold if you have a store in town that you can run to to grab some. A capo, really I want to put that in the must category. You won't regret getting a capo - it will let you do all kinds of fun stuff, play extra songs with a more limited chord knowledge. Edit: And don't forget to get batteries for your tuner! It sucked for me when I got my brand new guitar in the mail and had to tune it to my harmonica - who keeps 9volts around anymore anyway? heh - but you'll be all psyched for when it comes (and there are always delays) so you want to be able to play the day it gets there.

Would a case or bag be recommended? I don't plan on taking it out of the house much at all, especially as I'm just starting and will be practicing at home regularly.

If it doesn't come with one (my Cordoba didn't) like I said before, I'd spend on the stand instead - I think for just inside the house you'll find it much more handy. However, if it comes with one, and its extra for the hard case, I'd stick with the gig/soft bag, should suit you just fine.

In many reviews of various guitars I note that people replace the strings, is this is a difficult process and is it really necessary??
No, its not necessary at all, not unless you have a true problem with them. (feel or sound) You'll already have to go through tuning it, etc., changing strings on it right off the bat will be just one more delay, and a waste of strings.

keyboardashtray
November 8th, 2007, 07:52 AM
Estebans are pieces of ****, my old roommate had one, the frets looke like if someone had taken a metal file to them hahaha, wow what a pos.

Anyway, Seagulls are awesome acoustics, definitely top-notch guitars. My friend has an Ibanez acoustic which sounds pretty nice, it's brighter than usual which works for me.

I know, I know - and I'm not fancy at all when it comes to guitars, I can appreciate good ones, but hey if it plays it plays, who am I to judge.

But that Esteban deal a family member picked up, and even though all the stuff, etc., seems too good to be true, you see Esteban talking and you really believe him when he says he just wants to give the gift of guitar. Ha. Geez that thing - I heard rumors of people slicing their fingers open on the frets, I believe it. They must gotten too many complaints for too high of an action in the past, because this one you could barely slide a piece of paper under the strings, it was so low. And it buzzed like mad.

maniac_X
November 8th, 2007, 08:11 AM
Definately stay away from teh Esteban guitars! I've done a lot of digging on them because I was considering an inexpensive acoutic. I don't think anything good can really be said of his line of guitars. He is one slick salesman...kinda makes me think of the stereotypical shady used car salesman.

to the OP, welcome to the wonderful(and sometimes frustrating) world of music(as in making) :) You say it's your first guitar...don't get frustrated.

Tip: fingers tips will get sore until you develope caluses on them. :guitar:

hakimaki
November 8th, 2007, 08:33 AM
Honestly, spending $300 may be a bit much to spend on your first guitar. Many a people are so eager to learn guitar and go out and buy one, 2 months later its sitting in your closet. My advice, get something cheap, around the $100 range. 6 months to a year later, if you see that you are progressing in your playing and its not just a "phase", treat yourself to something better. By then, you'll also have a better idea about what you want in a guitar, the sound and type you're looking for. Remember, just cuz you have an expensive guitar, it doesn't mean you'll sound good. So start cheap, and practice, practice, practice, and practice some more.

As for gear, maybe a cheap tuner and a cheap gig bag to travel with. Use the tuner until you develop an ear to tune from memory or tuning fork. Spare strings are always a must, especially if you try pulling off some SRV bends (thats a sure broken string in your eye, lol) As for frequency in changing the strings, it depends on you. For my acoustics I change them often because I prefer a bring sound on them. On my electrics, I at times like the sound of dead strings, it gives a certain warmth in the tone im searching for at that time. Thats why I have a range of guitars each set up for a different sound and use.

Good luck.

PS - I started 10 years ago on a cheap Harmony I got at a garage sale for $20.

n3tfury
November 8th, 2007, 12:54 PM
- What else would I need with an acoustic?get a tuning fork in A 440. forget about electronic tuners. get your ears tuned. you don't want to be handicapped by using anything else. i'd pass on the strings. the original ones will last you a good amount of time. wipe them with a cloth when done playing to remove any grease from your hands to extend life. if you're still playing by the time you need strings, then get some.
- Would a case or bag be recommended? I don't plan on taking it out of the house much at all, especially as I'm just starting and will be practicing at home regularly. depends on the humidity in your area. big variances in temp/humidity can play havoc with the wood of an instrument. if it's going to be in a pretty well controlled environment, then a stand and maybe a gig bag is fine. the stand for convenience and a gig bag for the times you take your g/f to the park and woo her ;P
- In many reviews of various guitars I note that people replace the strings, is this is a difficult process and is it really necessary?? quite unnecessary for begginers. you'll definitely want to/have to learn how to change them, but it's a simple process. that being said, when you purchase your first set, get a string winder (about $5)

have fun.

Ultra Magnus
November 8th, 2007, 02:53 PM
Bit of advice, don't buy musical instruments online, every guitar will sound slightly different and you really want to go to a Music shop that'll let you try them out so you can get a feel for the weight and the sound and generally have a little play.

I find small independant music stores to be the best because they are usually run by people who have a passion for music and they will usually try to find you something suitable for your needs.

Second hand is a good idea as well - Istruments last for ages so chances are a second hand one will be in just as good condition as a new one (provided the old user hasn't been trashing amps and stuff with it) and a whole lot cheaper.

Another thing to realise is that big makers like fender and gibson make guitars in lots of different places - The US ones are probably the best but also the most expensive

My first guitar was a second hand mexican fender strat - I got it for £200 and it sounds brilliant and I still love it today

cyclefiend2000
November 8th, 2007, 03:05 PM
case... in your price range, i would probably go with a nice gig bag. i prefer hard shell cases, but they can cost as much as you are prepared to spend on just the guitar. i got one of those, looks like a hard case, but is actually more like cardboard, cases when i bought my first guitar. i have hated it since.

aimran makes a good suggestion. especially since it looks like (from your avatar) you have a small kid. i used to practice a good bit with my electric unplugged. it was loud enough for me to hear and soft enough to not distrub anyone.

herbster
November 8th, 2007, 03:51 PM
Whoa, thanks for all the help guys, it's really really appreciated!!

Okay, so I am wondering about the tuner as I don't really understand what it is. What is the gist of it for those that actually have/use one and how would I make any use of it being a total beginner? And in the same vein what's the capo??

I have been checking online for local stores and there is one 15mins from me with a big variety, I'm going tomorrow to check it out with a friend.

P.S. cyclefiend, that's my niece :D I have no idea where my kids are ;) :D

svtfmook
November 8th, 2007, 03:59 PM
I'm getting a guitar next week and have been checking online, there are some great resources and I'm learning quite a bit.

I am pretty set on getting an acoustic right now, and am curious if there's any specific models you folks would recommend as well as any online stores y'all could vouch for.

TIA!! :)

EDIT: Budget is around ~$300.
i've been playing guitar for about 22 years now. the only advise i can give you is buy something with a thin neck, typically, fenders have thinner necks than say a martin would. another peice of advise is to buy something cheap for now, until you know that you will stick with the hobby.

svtfmook
November 8th, 2007, 04:02 PM

Okay, so I am wondering about the tuner as I don't really understand what it is. What is the gist of it for those that actually have/use one and how would I make any use of it being a total beginner? And in the same vein what's the capo??

I have been checking online for local stores and there is one 15mins from me with a big variety, I'm going tomorrow to check it out with a friend.

if you have a guitar center near you, that is where you should go

cyclefiend2000
a tuner is a little "box". mine has a needle on it, but i think there are more digital ones now. basically you hit a string and keep turning the key until the needle registers to 0. been a while since i used it, but that is how i remember it working. it helps in the beginning since you dont know what a string is supposed to sound like. here is a pic of a computer tuner...
http://www.guitares.org/illu/apg.gif
the regular ones work the same way. get the needle to hit 0 when you pick the string.

the capo, is a device that clamps the strings between the frets. so you can change the key of your guitar without having to retune. i have never used one, but my brother uses them frquently on his acoustic. here is a pic of a capo in use...
http://www.guitartips.addr.com/tip76..jpg

aimran
i've been playing guitar for about 22 years now. the only advise i can give you is buy something with a thin neck, typically, fenders have thinner necks than say a martin would. another peice of advise is to buy something cheap for now, until you know that you will stick with the hobby.

Would thin necks be suitable for big fingers?

svtfmook
November 8th, 2007, 04:17 PM
Would thin necks be suitable for big fingers?
i have big fat fingers and prefer thinner necks. but i guess it is a matter of preference.

harold4
November 8th, 2007, 04:25 PM
When it comes to an instrument, almost everything is preference; gauge of string, fret height, bridge and nut material, etc.

Have some one show you how to play E and a Barre chord. Hit a local store and see which guitars are most comfortable and which type of sound you prefer.

My Martin D-15 (acoustic) has a thick neck and deep even sound, while my Les Paul (electric) has a thin neck and a 'dirty' sound.

:guitar::KS

TomMK
November 8th, 2007, 04:31 PM
I have a Yamaha F310, and I would recommend it. Ace 'beginner' guitar.

Definitely buy a tuner. Each of the 6 strings must be exactly in tune or the guitar will never sound right, no matter how well it's played, and they do get a bit out of tune when you play it a lot. A tuner will help you get each string at exactly the right pitch.

pinguino13
November 8th, 2007, 05:48 PM
Hit your local music stores first. That way you try different guitars and see what type of sound you are really looking for. My first was a Mexican acoustic six string guitar. I spent around $100 on that one. Just recently a year after, I visited my local music store and felt in love with a 12 string fender guitar, and I spent $300 this time. But what ever you decide on, you have to practice-practice-practice.

n3tfury
November 8th, 2007, 05:49 PM
what's with everyone pushing for a tuner? what happened to tuning by ear as long as you have A440? didn't take me long at all back in the day. you REALLY don't want to stuck without a digi tuner if you use one. you'll look like a chump.

USE YOUR EARS

Gremlinzzz
November 8th, 2007, 06:01 PM
I would recommend guitar center too good prices and service
Try the guitar before you buy listen to the tone make sure it fits the player.
name brand means nothing.

Gremlinzzz
November 8th, 2007, 06:04 PM
I would recommend guitar center too good prices and service
Try the guitar before you buy listen to the tone make sure it fits the player.
name brand means nothing.

don't buy second hand the frets can be worn down and the neck can be warped.

cyclefiend2000
November 8th, 2007, 06:10 PM
what's with everyone pushing for a tuner? what happened to tuning by ear as long as you have A440? didn't take me long at all back in the day. you REALLY don't want to stuck without a digi tuner if you use one. you'll look like a chump.

USE YOUR EARS

well there is more than one way to skin a cat. perhaps i should take back my calculator and get an abacus? :)

n3tfury
November 8th, 2007, 06:19 PM
well there is more than one way to skin a cat.

the end result may be the same, but with one process you learn, the other, you don't.

lespaul_rentals
November 8th, 2007, 06:26 PM
Hey, try BestBuy's Fender StarCaster package - that's what I've got for myself: it's got the guitar, amp, gig bag, cable, strap, tuner, DVD, strings and 3 picks - made my day!

Do NOT do this.

Out of the list you posted, the Yamaha FG730S Solid Top seems to be the best. Play some in a store if possible, so you can get a feel for which one you like the best. Remember that every guitar has a neck and body shape that can be totally different from the next, so find one that fits your hands.

cyclefiend2000
November 8th, 2007, 06:28 PM
i think that is debateable. over time i learned using an electronic tuner. got to the point i could tune by ear alone.

n3tfury
November 8th, 2007, 07:18 PM
i think that is debateable. over time i learned using an electronic tuner. got to the point i could tune by ear alone.

you'll learn to tune and develop your ear quicker without a digituner. not debatable.

n3tfury
November 8th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Do NOT do this.

no kidding. that's only half a step above guitar hero.

cyclefiend2000
November 8th, 2007, 08:04 PM
you'll learn to tune and develop your ear quicker without a digituner. not debatable.

but you still will learn it. i was not refuting that you might learn quicker by other methods, but the digital tuner will make it easier at first.

you stated that you would not learn to tune by ear if you used a digital tuner.... that is the debatable part. i learned to tune by ear despite using a digital tuner. perhaps if you dont learn to tune by ear, it is a genetic flaw?

keyboardashtray
November 8th, 2007, 08:19 PM

OK - I'm not going to bother quoting the people telling you not to get an electric tuner - DO NOT LISTEN TO THEM :)

Seriously, guys - why not tell him to wear a blindfold as he learns, too? I mean if we want to go the whole Shaolin Monk guitar method -

I'm sorry, but I really take issue with that purist nonsense. Unless you had a dream where God himself handed you a flaming guitar and you feel it is your life's calling to become a guitar hero and will spend the next 6 years in a basement with only your guitar and the mold for nourishment - you will just want to play, and have fun playing. You want to do whatever you can to start to just get into wanting to practice. And the easiest way to do that is to have your guitar sounding like it should, right off the bat. With an electric tuner. You will learn "by the ear" as you practice, all your touch up tunings eventually will be just tuning the strings to each other, that and the playing will establish your ear training. But the electric tuner will give you a proper baseline to start off of. If you want a set of pitch pipes for fun and challenge, they are cheap and you could buy those too, eventually.

As for the Capo? That is a device, to describe it crudely, that holds a bar chord in place for you, so that you can, in a way, have your guitar tuned different (without having to actually adjust your tuning with the tuning heads). When you start out, you will/should learn some basic chords - D, G, Em, C, etc. Each chord can be achieved with a variety of shapes, but there is a basic starting shape you will learn for most basic chords. And I'm sure you've heard about barre chords, it is hard to demonstrate without diagrams, but what a barre chord is, is taking one of those shapes, and moving it up a certain amount of frets, with your index finger replacing what would normally be the end of the guitar. So moving an A shape up two frets makes it a B.

The capo will basically hold a bar chord in place for you, so you can play a song in a different key with different chord shapes. It should be cheap enough, I'm sure you can get one in the 10 and under range.

More refutations: if you want an acoustic, get an acoustic - if you are after that sound, you will be disappointed playing an unplugged electric. You can play it quietly if noise is really an issue.

And some advice says to buy it in a store - man, if your area is like mine, that will be a ton more money for the same guitar. You know those "list" prices in catalogs (not just guitars, but in general too), where it says "Sells for $600 dollars but we sell it for $300!"? You know how you always think, yeah right, it doesn't sell for $600 normally.

Well music stores are the exception. They really do charge the full $600, and oftentimes for something that has been hung by the neck in some sunny window and played by every slack jawed yokel in your town who wanted to try the opening riff to Stairway. So, point being, if you have your eye on model, and they have it at your local store, go try it out there, but buy it online if it is cheaper. I know I'm harshin the mom and pops, but the markups are ridiculous. If they can offer a competitive rate by all means, patronize your local guy.

The Tronyx
November 8th, 2007, 08:26 PM
Okay I am pretty sure I'll be getting the Seagull S6, nothing but great reviews and price is in range.

Hey, first of all, AWESOME choice in your guitar. I'm glad that I showed someone Seagull, a company who gets entirely too little recognition in my opinion. Secondly take the 'pretty' off the above quote and go with it, the S6 really does live up to its reviews. I've played a lot of their models and as far as a fantastic balance between price and sound, you can't really beat that one.:guitar:

herbster
November 8th, 2007, 08:37 PM
Can't believe it slipped my mind but I just remembered I am left-handed, will this affect my choice ??

ComplexNumber
November 8th, 2007, 08:47 PM
Can't believe it slipped my mind but I just remembered I am left-handed, will this affect my choice ??
it didn't affect hendrix ;). you can get left handed guitars, or you can get a standard right handed guitar and turn the nut and strings the other way around.

Gremlinzzz
November 8th, 2007, 08:53 PM

your right it will effect choice most stores don't carry many lefty guitars.

herbster
November 8th, 2007, 09:08 PM
it didn't affect hendrix ;). you can get left handed guitars, or you can get a standard right handed guitar and turn the nut and strings the other way around.

That would be great ,is it that simple? It indeed seems odd to me that left-handed guitars would be difficult to find.

lespaul_rentals
November 8th, 2007, 09:25 PM
That would be great ,is it that simple? It indeed seems odd to me that left-handed guitars would be difficult to find.

Do not worry about switching the nut around. I am left-handed and I play the right-handed way. I would strongly recommend just playing a normal guitar. What happens when you go to your friend's house and there's a guitar there, whoops, it's not left-handed! I'd just recommend playing a standard guitar the standard way.

you can get a standard right handed guitar and turn the nut and strings the other way around.

That's a poor idea. You would have to remove the nut and glue it back in, and hope to God that it doesn't break/fall out/cut your strings because it's been reversed. Not to mention, some guitars have bridges that have holes for the strings based on gauge. Should he just buy a new one of those, too?

herbster
November 8th, 2007, 09:31 PM
I just held a broomstick the right-handed way as if playing a guitar and it felt wrong, my left hand feels like it will be much more responsive playing the string. I am unsure if I can properly learn the right-handed way ??

Gremlinzzz
November 8th, 2007, 09:41 PM
Y ou can call the local music stores ask what they have left handed or order online.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=left+handed+guitars&btnG=Google+Search

lespaul_rentals
November 9th, 2007, 02:58 AM
I just held a broomstick the right-handed way as if playing a guitar and it felt wrong, my left hand feels like it will be much more responsive playing the string. I am unsure if I can properly learn the right-handed way ??

It's up to you. Remember, however, that fretwork with your "favored" hand will come easier, such as when you finger chords or play scales. It's all up to you, though. I'd highly recommend just buying a left-handed guitar in that case, even though it's more expensive, because messing around with the nut and reversing the strings has potential consequences.

If you ever need any assistance, remember you can always ask me and I will be happy to help you out. :)

n3tfury
November 9th, 2007, 03:17 AM
OK - I'm not going to bother quoting the people telling you not to get an electric tuner - DO NOT LISTEN TO THEM :)

Seriously, guys - why not tell him to wear a blindfold as he learns, too? I mean if we want to go the whole Shaolin Monk guitar method -

I'm sorry, but I really take issue with that purist nonsense. Unless you had a dream where God himself handed you a flaming guitar and you feel it is your life's calling to become a guitar hero and will spend the next 6 years in a basement with only your guitar and the mold for nourishment - you will just want to play, and have fun playing. You want to do whatever you can to start to just get into wanting to practice. And the easiest way to do that is to have your guitar sounding like it should, right off the bat. With an electric tuner. You will learn "by the ear" as you practice, all your touch up tunings eventually will be just tuning the strings to each other, that and the playing will establish your ear training. But the electric tuner will give you a proper baseline to start off of. If you want a set of pitch pipes for fun and challenge, they are cheap and you could buy those too, eventually.

blindfold? are you serious? what a crock. what i'm saying is, looking at some stupid needle pointing straight up won't train your ear, sorry. use computer tones that generate EADGBE then. that way YOU match the pitch per string to the generated tone. don't give me this purist rubbish.

TomMK
November 9th, 2007, 11:33 AM
I think we've lost track of what the OP asked for, and that was help buying his guitar. Can we save this tuner debate for another thread and get back to the guitar talk please!

herbster: If holding that broom the right-handed way felt wrong, you need a left-handed guitar. Don't mess with converting a righty guitar to a lefty. Does that change your first choice guitar then?

herbster
November 9th, 2007, 04:20 PM
TomMK,

Thanks, yes, it is going to change my guitar choice for sure now. I have set Monday afternoon aside to go to 3 local guitar stores I found on the net.

EDIT: I just found this site:: http://www.southpawguitars.com and here's the lefty acoustics under $1000 page, could any of you recommend some on this page: http://www.southpawguitars.com/acoustics.html Would be much appreciated!!

professor fate
November 9th, 2007, 04:37 PM
My first guitar was a Hondo Les Paul II. A tank of a guitar, but it was cool.

I tell people to get a guitar that will inspire them to play. This usually translates to a guitar that one of their favorite guitar player plays. This doesn't mean you have to get a custom made guitar, but if they play a strat with a vibrato bar, then get a similar one that feels good to you.

toupeiro
November 9th, 2007, 04:58 PM
I've been playing guitar for 12 years. One thing I can tell you is that the quality of your guitar will matter in how fast you learn and how good you will be/sound in that timeframe. I'm not suggesting you go out and buy a several thousand dollar guitar, but I am saying to stay away from the $100 or $200 beginner models because the first thing you will be wanting to do is get a better guitar.

I am a big fan of Schecter guitars. I own a Diamond S-1 Elite (http://news.harmony-central.com/Newp/2003/S-1-Elite-BCH.jpg) and personally think its better than my Les Paul. I own 7 guitars: 3 hard bodies and 4 hollow-bodies. The Schecter is the jewel of all my guitars with the Brasilian Rosewood Di Giorgio running a close second.

Another thing, I am left handed too. :) I learned to play right handed. I wouldn't call myself ambidextrous because it is the only thing I can do right handed. It can be done.

I would look up schecter, (http://www.schecterguitars.com/) you will not be dissappointed.

As far as amps, there is an array of good amps for you to choose from. I have a Line-6 Flextone II (http://pro-music-news.com/html/03/00211lin.jpg) which has a beautiful sound and is highly customizable, and some Peavey Scorpions with a PA which has a beautiful sound. I would trade both for a vintage tubed fender twin. A Fender Champion 110 (http://www.1guitarsource.com/champ.htm) is a great starter amp.

herbster
November 9th, 2007, 08:31 PM
I've been playing guitar for 12 years. One thing I can tell you is that the quality of your guitar will matter in how fast you learn and how good you will be/sound in that timeframe. I'm not suggesting you go out and buy a several thousand dollar guitar, but I am saying to stay away from the $100 or $200 beginner models because the first thing you will be wanting to do is get a better guitar.

I am a big fan of Schecter guitars. I own a Diamond S-1 Elite (http://news.harmony-central.com/Newp/2003/S-1-Elite-BCH.jpg) and personally think its better than my Les Paul. I own 7 guitars: 3 hard bodies and 4 hollow-bodies. The Schecter is the jewel of all my guitars with the Brasilian Rosewood Di Giorgio running a close second.

Another thing, I am left handed too. :) I learned to play right handed. I wouldn't call myself ambidextrous because it is the only thing I can do right handed. It can be done.

I would look up schecter, (http://www.schecterguitars.com/) you will not be dissappointed.

As far as amps, there is an array of good amps for you to choose from. I have a Line-6 Flextone II (http://pro-music-news.com/html/03/00211lin.jpg) which has a beautiful sound and is highly customizable, and some Peavey Scorpions with a PA which has a beautiful sound. I would trade both for a vintage tubed fender twin. A Fender Champion 110 (http://www.1guitarsource.com/champ.htm) is a great starter amp.

That is what I am kind of battling in my mind atm-- learn right-handed or go left-handed. I am waiting to actually put some guitars in my hands on Monday so I can feel it out for myself, of course, but I am curious-- did you have to kind of force yourself into learning right-handed with it being awkward at first or was it just surprisingly natural?

TomMK
November 10th, 2007, 01:00 AM
I started playing guitar because of Mark Knopfler, coincidentally a lefty who plays right handed. I bought a Squier Strat because he plays a Fender Strat.

Difficult to say anything most of the guitars on that Southpaw page as you can't really judge a guitar by a photo. I did notice a Takamine for $149 though, can't be bad!

One another thing, I find guitar shops can feel really intimidating for some reason, don't let it bother you. Just go in, pick a few out, find a stool and start playing. If at all possible, learn a chord from a tutorial so you have at least something to mess about with in the shop. It's no good sitting down and not knowing what to do next! I'd recommend E or A.

toupeiro
November 10th, 2007, 05:35 AM
That is what I am kind of battling in my mind atm-- learn right-handed or go left-handed. I am waiting to actually put some guitars in my hands on Monday so I can feel it out for myself, of course, but I am curious-- did you have to kind of force yourself into learning right-handed with it being awkward at first or was it just surprisingly natural?

It was surprisingly natural. My uncle taught me how to play. He used to be in a band, so when I saw him play, I just picked up the guitar and mimicked him, and I didn't really think about the fact that I was learning right-handed.. It just sort of happened. :)

jjthomas
November 11th, 2007, 11:41 AM
I originally purchased a Fender Stratocaster. Shortly after the purchase my left hand was crushed. It took three years to get my hand back to the point that it is somewhat usable. I picked the guitar back up and started playing it again. It took about an hour and my left hand was back in a splint. It was just too hard to work the strings with my left hand. Fortunately I’m ambidextrous. I talked to the people where I bought my Guitar (local retailer, with real good pricing) and they offered to restring the guitar for me as a left handed guitar. Instead I opted for a ”Lefty” guitar. The price was the same as a right handed guitar so I traded my right handed guitar for a lefty plus some cash.

So far I’ve been doing good with my lefty, I just need to learn some cords so I know what I’m playing… But I like what it plays.

The only concern I have is that I am learning without a pick. I’m comfortable going pick-less, but the book I am readying on learning the guitar recommend against doing so. But with the condition of my hand I am not sure I will be able to pick with a pick. But you know, its works for me, I like it pick-less… so I’m staying with it. After all, I’m playing for me.

In looking I found that a lot of guitars have a “lefty” version. See if you can get someplace that has both versions to try out.

-JJ

herbster
November 14th, 2007, 01:12 AM
jjthomas,

Sorry to hear that man, I am glad you are back on track. Amazing what we take for granted!

I went to 4 stores today, spending most of the morning and early noon. I finally held some guitars and it was a lot of fun. I am 100% getting myself a lefty, and I found that the Yamaha FG720S lefty is the one I'm getting. I should be going to the store to pick 'er up in a few days, I'm pumped! I've also got my friend committed to a few sessions/week to help me, and I've grabbed some instructional DVDs off the net and they are quite good (been watching a bit of them to see the quality).

Thanks to everyone for all the recommendations. I'm planning on getting grounded with the basics and at a pretty decent level for a while, then buying an electric next year.

n3tfury
November 14th, 2007, 01:18 AM
you're going to LOVE it. once you get past the initial callouses, you'll be rockin'

josephus
November 14th, 2007, 04:30 AM
Have you checked out Long & McQuade in your area? Haven't been to the one in Brampton, but have been to other stores in BC and Ontario. Pretty good selection at decent prices.

I'm not sure if I would recommend going for a lefty. When you start off the fingers are going to feel awkward either way, so might as well learn on the right handed guitar - that way when you progress to your next guitar you'll have a better selection.

herbster
November 14th, 2007, 05:38 AM
thanks n3tfury! I don't doubt it :)

josephus,

I went to the L&M, they are a very good store indeed but the Yamaha is cheaper at another store and they had excellent customer service, very knowledgeable and friendly guys. The L&M guy didn't seem to want to spend a minute with me when I told him my budget's $300 and I'm a lefty, haha ;)

And yeah, the fingers do feel awkward both ways but as I was playing some of the guitars today the lefty style was definitely better for me.

herbster
November 14th, 2007, 10:34 PM
Okay so I decided to go to the L&M's near my house and wound up spending 2hours there. The sales rep was unbelievably helpful and super knowledgeable, and I must have tried every single guitar in the acoustic section, lol. I actually spent time holding and playing a bunch of left and right guitars, and since this guy actually spent time and was helping me hit the strings right, etc. with both left and right, I realized there isn't much of a difference in the feeling at all. I was going back and forth from side to side with guitars to see just how different it is but as a raw beginner I realized I might as well go right, it's not that big a deal.

I just bought myself a Takamine EG341SC acoustic-electric!! It's a thing of beauty and was at a great price ($370). I told the family to get me the guitar for my b-day (today! :D) and I'll buy the amp myself. I am SO pumped, just got home and am going to start my journey tomorrow since it's all family time tonight and gotta get up early in the morn'...

Yeehaw!!! :D :D

n3tfury
November 14th, 2007, 10:52 PM
Piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiics!

herbster
November 17th, 2007, 06:31 AM
Just posted some pics in the Guitar Players thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=3786550#post3786550