PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu or Windows? Class Speach

UbntuJavaTrtlesClssDiagrm
November 8th, 2007, 02:08 AM
Okay so in one of my classes, I have to make the argument for Ubuntu or Windows and then they will choose that system to analyze. Which one is worth the time and why? From a novice's standpoint with an open mind, I tend more towards Ubuntu...from the more experienced user, which system do you favor? :lolflag:

-grubby
November 8th, 2007, 02:09 AM
you should fight Ubuntus side!

bruce89
November 8th, 2007, 02:13 AM
You'll get an unbiased opinion here anyway.

Hortinstein
November 8th, 2007, 02:14 AM
I wish I had more time to really get into this but here are some main points you can cover

Ubuntu can be extremely user friendly for users who just word process and surf the internet

Windows installs are extremely easy and reliable, on almost any hardware base, but selecting the right version is tough

Windows is expensive...ubuntu is free

Windows has major software support from large corps...but again expense

Ubuntu has thousands of free applications available after you learn about add/remove programs

that is a start

jflaker
November 8th, 2007, 02:17 AM
Student = No Money and/or limited resources for both OS and hardware.

you are a student just starting college and need to be able to feed yourself daily.

Choice:
Buy a $900 "VISTA READY" laptop (must be higher end performance just to RUN Vista) and add another $350 to get Windows Vista and ANOTHER $350 for MS-Office--Total Out of pocket is $1600 PLUS TAX

or

Buy a lower end system for about $400 and install Ubuntu at no further cost and have Open Office available which does EVERYTHING MS-Office does, but for no additional cost----Total out of pocket expense is $400.15 plus tax, which includes a blank CD to burn the Ubuntu ISO image to

Just the cost basis alone will make people think twice about a Windows Laptop

professor fate
November 8th, 2007, 02:30 AM
Student = No Money and/or limited resources for both OS and hardware.

you are a student just starting college and need to be able to feed yourself daily.

Choice:
Buy a $900 "VISTA READY" laptop (must be higher end performance just to RUN Vista) and add another $350 to get Windows Vista and ANOTHER $350 for MS-Office--Total Out of pocket is $1600 PLUS TAX

or

Buy a lower end system for about $400 and install Ubuntu at no further cost and have Open Office available which does EVERYTHING MS-Office does, but for no additional cost----Total out of pocket expense is $400.15 plus tax, which includes a blank CD to burn the Ubuntu ISO image to

Just the cost basis alone will make people think twice about a Windows Laptop

OK, I couldn't pass on this one. Regardless of it being Windows or Ubuntu, no (right minded) person buys a bare bone laptop for $900 and then blows hundreds of dollars for an OS, etc., on top of that. Here's a perfectly fine laptop for a student for $499. Toss Ubuntu on it or whatever, but at least this guy has to make the argument realistic.

My Components
Mobile AMD Sempron™ 3600+
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Basic
Glossy, widescreen 15.4 inch display (1280x800)
512MB DDR2 SDRAM 533MHZ, 1 DIMM
Size: 60GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
24X CD Burner/DVD Combo Drive
ATI RADEON® Xpress1150 256MB HyperMemory™ (Integrated)
Integrated Audio
53 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
Dell Wireless 1390 802.11g Mini Card (54Mbps)
My Software & Accessories
No Security Subscription (30-day trial)
Microsoft Works 8. DOES NOT INCLUDE MS WORD
Yahoo! Music Jukebox - Music Player
My Service
1Yr Ltd Warranty and Mail-In Service
Free 3 GB Online Backup for 1Yr
6 Months America Online Internet Access Included
Also Includes
Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem
Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 8.1
Inspiron 1501
Windows Vista™ Basic
No Entertainment software pre-installed

SomeGuyDude
November 8th, 2007, 02:32 AM
Even if you're not a poor student, you can save the money on OS and related software and spend the extra cash to upgrade the hardware!

Phil Airtime
November 8th, 2007, 02:37 AM
What student can afford any laptop? I couldn't.

I think you're talking more about "mummy and daddy buying a laptop".

n3tfury
November 8th, 2007, 02:43 AM
You'll get an unbiased opinion here anyway.

rofl

SomeGuyDude
November 8th, 2007, 02:44 AM
What student can afford any laptop? I couldn't.

I think you're talking more about "mummy and daddy buying a laptop".

Circuit City + 12 month no-interest financing + part-time job = student able to afford a notebook! :guitar:

Phil Airtime
November 8th, 2007, 02:45 AM
Circuit City + 12 month no-interest financing + part-time job = student able to afford a notebook! :guitar:

rubbish ageing desktop + Ubuntu + part time job = me able to travel in the holidays

jflaker
November 8th, 2007, 02:55 AM
OK, I couldn't pass on this one. Regardless of it being Windows or Ubuntu, no (right minded) person buys a bare bone laptop for $900 and then blows hundreds of dollars for an OS, etc., on top of that. Here's a perfectly fine laptop for a student for $499. Toss Ubuntu on it or whatever, but at least this guy has to make the argument realistic.

...Snipped

Ok, ....I've been away from system prices for a bit.......I am talking about getting more memory, disk, better graphics, etc on the base system just to meet the performance requirements of Vista to get above a 3.0 vista rating (necessary for anything above basic optimization).....not a barebones system.

Regardless....The OS cost is added to the price of any system making the base cost of a system more pricey than a barebones comparable or Linux system. MS-Office 2007 Pro, according Amazon.com, is $375.....going for IT? You will probably need the DB....otherwise it is still $200 for Standard without MS-Access.

SO, the $700 laptop is more realistically around $1300 - $1600 depending on optional features and softwares.

I still think my observation is accurate

jinx099
November 8th, 2007, 02:59 AM
who runs an access database on a laptop?

songshu
November 8th, 2007, 03:00 AM
you can mention the prise
you can mention the stability
you can mention the cool logo
you can mention the great forums

but what you need to talk about is freedom.

jflaker
November 8th, 2007, 03:02 AM
who runs an access database on a laptop?

I had to run it for IT classes when learning basic DBMS. Their DB of choice was MS-Access. Most likely MySQL or SQL-Server Express is the DB of choice for cost reasons now

jrharvey
November 8th, 2007, 03:08 AM
You can also talk about WINE and windows programs. On the other hand for the basic user, Ubuntu has everything you could need from free software. I would sugguest ubuntu to basic users and advanced users. Ubuntu is safe from Virus's and spyware.Unfortunately the past versions of ubuntu were not as user freindly BUT the newest release 7.10 is much more user friendly and Im sure it will only get better with Hardy Heron.

Also Compiz blows leopard and aero out of the way

SomeGuyDude
November 8th, 2007, 03:08 AM
you can mention the prise
you can mention the stability
you can mention the cool logo
you can mention the great forums

but what you need to talk about is freedom.

I'd say the freedom and the support community trump all else. Having this massive repository of just about every issue and scenario, as well as swift aid in case that wasn't enough, is just beautiful. Far and away beats googling "why in the world can't I get XXXXX working in Vista??"

jinx099
November 8th, 2007, 03:10 AM
I had to run it for IT classes when learning basic DBMS. Their DB of choice was MS-Access. Most likely MySQL or SQL-Server Express is the DB of choice for cost reasons now

did they make you buy access?

SomeGuyDude
November 8th, 2007, 03:22 AM

It comes with MS Office, which most schools offer for free. At least that's how it worked when I did CS.

professor fate
November 8th, 2007, 03:23 AM

Unless something has drastically changed in the past 10 years, when I was taking an Oracle DB class, students get a 90 trial version of the DB with the class. In fact, that's pretty much standard for all computing classes: SQL Serverl, 2003 Server, Access, etc. (e.g., that disc in the back of the book). Come on....no one pays for a full-on copy to get through a class. If that were the case students wouldn't be taking the classes.

I've got a friend that teaches at a community college. I stopped by there the other day and got a pass for a computer in the library; I wanted to check some email while waiting for him to get out of class. A lot of students don't even need to buy computers now. I saw a number of kids typing their papers using Google Documents. Moreover, the library is open from 7:30am to 9:00pm.

I do know the computer lab that the IT students go to has all of the necessary apps available so they can complete their labs assignments.

Back to the speech....talk about the OS that inspires you. It's hard to convince people of something you don't believe in. If it's Ubuntu, talk about Ubuntu. If it's Windows, talk about Windows.

jflaker
November 8th, 2007, 04:16 AM

I had to "buy" it, I "shared" the cost with another classmate! :wink:

Lostincyberspace
November 8th, 2007, 04:29 AM
If it were me I would talk about both if that is allowable.

UbntuJavaTrtlesClssDiagrm
November 8th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Thanks to all for such a timely response! So I went with Ubuntu: Gutsy Gibbon...and now we're taking a look at this OS. My response from the Windows-oriented individuals was enigmatic to say the least. They like...didn't really want to talk about Ubuntu...what gives?:lolflag:

professor fate
November 8th, 2007, 07:13 PM
Thanks to all for such a timely response! So I went with Ubuntu: Gutsy Gibbon...and now we're taking a look at this OS. My response from the Windows-oriented individuals was enigmatic to say the least. They like...didn't really want to talk about Ubuntu...what gives?:lolflag:

Sounds like this is a group project. I suspect they're not too hot on the idea because that have little if anything to contribute right off the bat. Have each person look into something different about Ubuntu. Maybe one can investigate its larger global use. One can look at its founder and why they started it. You can look at the tech side.

BDNiner
November 8th, 2007, 07:24 PM
when i was in college most M$ software was offered for free depending on the class you are taking or for very cheap. but the software was stripped down educational version not the full pro version.

urukrama
November 8th, 2007, 11:31 PM

THis is a bad comparison, for the reasons already pointed out earlier, but also because I can install OpenOffice also on Windows. The comparison is between OSs, not between MS products.