PDA

View Full Version : Skype 2.0 BETA for linux is here! Finally Video Conference!

Pages : [1] 2

Kosimo
November 8th, 2007, 01:42 AM
Skype finally offers video conference for linux users.

Strongly recommended to give it a try.

Get a nice .deb from here:

http://www.skype.com/intl/en/download/skype/linux/beta/

It works for you?

Good luck!

EDIT: "kripkenstein" made a wiki where you can find useful information about webcams compatibility in Skype Linux. Check it and don't forget to contribute to enlarge it!
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SkypeWebCams

wieman01
November 8th, 2007, 01:43 AM
Oh man... that's good news indeed. Thanks for posting the news, we'll have a crack at it this weekend.

Kosimo
November 8th, 2007, 01:45 AM
Oh man... that's good news indeed. Thanks for posting the news, we'll have a crack at it this weekend.

I was waiting this day for a while...

;)

wieman01
November 8th, 2007, 01:51 AM
Do you know what sort of cameras are generally supported?

Kosimo
November 8th, 2007, 01:56 AM

At the moment I'm using an old Logitech Quick Cam Express and is loaded with Skype. But I'm having problems with the video signal, don't know if some issue of my camera or this first bugged version of the 2.x series. Anyway honestly I don't really care. I'm really happy now to see that skype is working to bring me videoconference with every mac/windows/linux skype machine.

I'll tell you later how can I manage a video call, now at 01:55 here in europe everybody is sleeping!

wieman01
November 8th, 2007, 01:57 AM
At the moment I'm using an old Logitech Quick Cam Express and is loaded with Skype. But I'm having problems with the video signal, don't know if some issue of my camera or this first bugged version of the 2.x series. Anyway honestly I don't really care. I'm really happy now to see that skype is working to bring me videoconference with every mac/windows/linux skype machine.

I'll tell you later how can I manage a video call, now at 01:55 here in europe everybody is sleeping!
Alright, have a good night & keep us posted, dude. Look forward to it as well.

loell
November 8th, 2007, 02:16 AM

from the forum announcement.

Known Issues with Compatibility for 2.0.0.13
* Using uvc webcam driver with new Logitech cameras can cause a split video effect which does not recover until you restart video.
* Using uvc webcam driver with ATi fglrx graphics card driver results in a memory leak and potential crash currently.
* gspca webcam driver can crash sometimes during webcam initialisation (which can also happen during the call).
* Using a display driver with only a single Xv port means you can only see video in one direction currently.
* Using a display driver with no Xv support will not work at all.
* ATi fglrx driver versions before 8.42.3 may crash your X server and lock up video during the call.
* ATi fglrx driver version 8.42.3 may crash your X server and lock up video at the beginning of the call.

Issues in orange are fixed already for the next release.
I'll update these issues as we isolate more.

SomeGuyDude
November 8th, 2007, 02:33 AM
Awesome. My built-in webcam worked flawlessly. I was concerned after I couldn't get it to work with YouTube.

Kingsley
November 8th, 2007, 02:39 AM
The video works flawlessly with the built-in web cam on my HP dv6000t laptop.

boom2k1
November 8th, 2007, 08:37 AM
Does anybody have any idea how I can get my Logitech Clicksmart 310 to work in Skype?

In Camorama I can capture pictures with my webcam,
although in skype option it detects my logitech Clicksmart 310 (/dev/video0), it actually remains a black screen when I press the "Test" button. Does anybody know how to fix it? Thanks.

graabein
November 8th, 2007, 08:51 AM
I could have needed this last year when my girlfriend studied abroad! I had to boot into Windows to get the webcam working.

Good news though.

toupeiro
November 8th, 2007, 08:51 AM
I don't usually say this but...

omgwtfw00t!!!!!111one

I'm one download away from no more XP Guest OS.

FG123
November 8th, 2007, 09:00 AM
HOLY HELL!

About damn time. :)

toupeiro
November 8th, 2007, 09:08 AM
Working flawlessly with Logitech Quick Cam Ultra Vision and 7.10!!

Damnit I'm so happy I think I'm going to the pub. Later!

FG123
November 8th, 2007, 09:09 AM
Damnit, no 64-bit version, still. Have to force a whole bunch of libs with getlibs, unless anyone else has a better idea.

funpop
November 8th, 2007, 09:17 AM
any gutsy .deb ? or did you use the feisty one ?

FG123
November 8th, 2007, 09:23 AM
Just use the Feisty one, it works fine.

graabein
November 8th, 2007, 09:44 AM
I don't usually say this but...

omgwtfw00t!!!!!111one

I'm one download away from no more XP Guest OS.

LOL!!

FG123
November 8th, 2007, 09:53 AM
Funny...

Works fine for my Gutsy 64-bit setup, although I had to use getlibs for several things but no biggie. Video works fine as well as sound playback and record.

Completely broken for my father's Debian Etch 32-bit setup. Although we've confirmed sound playback is possible on the setup and the camera works fine in Ekiga, Skype plays no sound, shows no video, and records no audio. Useless POS.

BatPenguin
November 8th, 2007, 10:34 AM

Hey, can you confirm that EVERYTHING in that webcam is working out-of-the-box on Gutsy? Including microphone? Plug in and it works?

Also: could EVERYBODY who has a webcam that works good with Skype now and is easy to setup (either out-of-the-box or just a simple .deb or something) please reply to this thread with the exact name of their cam and instructions (if any) for setting it up.

I'm sure there's plenty of us who've been waiting for this day and would really like to just buy a new cam and get this working.

I think this thread is appropriate for something like this but if you disagree I guess we could make a new thread for "Skype supported webcams" but I think it's important to have a clear list of cams that work, let's make the list here...ok?

Thanks.

FG123
November 8th, 2007, 11:05 AM
Logitech Quickcam Zoom.

All I had to do was modify the "Sound in" device in the "Sound devices" options menu, to point to USB device instead of Default. Everything else worked fine.

funpop
November 8th, 2007, 11:23 AM
doesnt work for me, all i get is <1 fps, all green display. same with kopete. its not skype's fault, there is no great driver for my cam: Trust WB-3400T

the only thing that gets better pics out of it is the app videoview from this site:
http://www.linux-projects.org/modules/news/

](*,)
http://www.linux-projects.org/downloads/sn9cxxx-unlimited.html

lisc998
November 8th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Does it come with the SMS feature? That's what I really miss when I'm on Linux.

Kosimo
November 8th, 2007, 12:06 PM
Does it come with the SMS feature? That's what I really miss when I'm on Linux.

Not at the moment, but It will come very soon. Linux team in Skype is working very hard to improve their client.

FG123
November 8th, 2007, 01:02 PM
Not at the moment, but It will come very soon. Linux team in Skype are working very hard to improve their client.
They better be, that's what we're paying them for!

/shakes fist

Oh wait...

kripkenstein
November 8th, 2007, 01:37 PM
Also: could EVERYBODY who has a webcam that works good with Skype now and is easy to setup (either out-of-the-box or just a simple .deb or something) please reply to this thread with the exact name of their cam and instructions (if any) for setting it up.

A list of webcams that work with Skype on Ubuntu is a great idea. How about a Wiki page for it, though, instead of just this thread? I suggest this page that I just made:

Ubuntu Wiki page about Webcams on Skype (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SkypeWebCams)

Please contribute information to this page :)

Kosimo
November 8th, 2007, 01:40 PM
A list of webcams that work with Skype on Ubuntu is a great idea. How about a Wiki page for it, though, instead of just this thread? I suggest this page that I just made:

Ubuntu Wiki page about Webcams on Skype (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SkypeWebCams)

Please contribute information to this page :)

Very nice idea, let's contribute it!

BatPenguin
November 8th, 2007, 01:51 PM
Logitech Quickcam Zoom.

All I had to do was modify the "Sound in" device in the "Sound devices" options menu, to point to USB device instead of Default. Everything else worked fine.

Wow, really? That's MY webcam and I've had endless problems getting it to work at all. Could you please post what you did with it either here and/or at that new wiki page? Just simply plug-in and it works? No extra driver? The reason I was hoping to hear about other people's cameras is that I wasn't having any luck with the Zoom in other programs...

Btw, kripkenstein, that wiki page for SkypeWebCams looks great. Hopefully many people will contribute!

orduek
November 8th, 2007, 02:07 PM
I just checked it and saw that i can send video and see myself but can't see the other person - only gets a white screen.

any ideas?

cheeki
November 8th, 2007, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the info...it is all working perfectly with my MSI camera. All I can say is at last! Wonder what made them finally get there finger out umm, highly anticipated linux enable devices with webcams perhaps? Whatever it is, I'm very please the linux version with webam support is finally here :)

obavjestenja
November 8th, 2007, 03:42 PM
i runing gusty gibbon wit ati radeon xpress 200 card and in the begining my camera isn't work but i instaled envy with latest ati driver and my camera work now.
:guitar:

frodon
November 8th, 2007, 03:53 PM
Just great, i'm going to try this out as soon as i get home, i'm pretty sure my logitech quikcam communicate will just work our of the box as usual.

Knoob
November 8th, 2007, 04:07 PM
Logitech Quickcam Pro 4000

btw, i'm using Feisty Fawn (7.04)

sixela
November 8th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Installed and everything looks fine, my contacts are coming up.
My webcam however doesn't show any picture.
It is showing up correctly as a Logitech quickcam, but when I hit the test button all I get is a black screen. Working fine in Ekiga though.

My camera btw is a Logitech quickcam for notebooks.

Anyone else having similar problems? Help? Would love to get this working and ditch windows for good.

kripkenstein
November 8th, 2007, 04:54 PM
Ok, I did my best to add the webcams mentioned so far to the Wiki page (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SkypeWebCams).

People with webcams, add your results to the page and earn our undying gratitude :)

LizardKing73
November 8th, 2007, 05:16 PM
Oh hell yeah!!!!!!
Finally video on Linux, installed and my cam works. Will definately give this a try over the weekend.
Thanks Kosimo :D

toupeiro
November 8th, 2007, 05:27 PM
Hey, can you confirm that EVERYTHING in that webcam is working out-of-the-box on Gutsy? Including microphone? Plug in and it works?

I'm sure there's plenty of us who've been waiting for this day and would really like to just buy a new cam and get this working.

I think this thread is appropriate for something like this but if you disagree I guess we could make a new thread for "Skype supported webcams" but I think it's important to have a clear list of cams that work, let's make the list here...ok?

Thanks.

Yes, everything worked. I didn't have to do anything because the mic on my webcam is my system default MIC, which is what Skype defaults to, but if you need to configure it within skype, it can be done in the options -> sound settings. There will be a dropdown for mics and you select the one associated with your webcam.

Again, I have the Quick Cam: Ultra Vision (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/webcam_communications/webcams/devices/238&cl=us,en)

abhiroopb
November 8th, 2007, 05:57 PM
FINALLY video for skype...

Unfortunately I have a webcam problem

I have a Logitech Quickcam 3000 Pro

and when I connect it I see this (after typing lsusb)

us 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 003 Device 004: ID 046d:08b0 Logitech, Inc. QuickCam 3000 Pro [pwc]
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 005: ID 1241:1503 Belkin
Bus 002 Device 004: ID 09da:022b A4 Tech Co., Ltd
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 058f:9254 Alcor Micro Corp. Hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

so it has been detected. But in skype it says no devices found and the green light on top of the cam remains switched on perpetually.

Initially (a while back) I had tried setting up my webcam and I had fiddled around with the pwc....unfortunately I can't remember exactly what I had done. But I remember the video had flickered on and off for a bit.

Then recently I used virtualbox to install win xp and so I thought I'd try video calling using the skype in the guest os. I tried again to install pwc and it didn't work. I really don't know now what it is that I have done and tried, as installing pwc required patching and then recompiling the kernel. This worked fine but I still couldn't make the pwc driver for some reason, it kept giving error.

If this seems like too much effort I don't mind getting a new cam as the one I have is quite old anyway. But if I do buy a new cam I want it to work out of the box, so if there is one that is guaranteed to work out of the box (e.g. it is made for linux) then I don't mind getting it, otherwise I'd like to try and fix my current cam.

Thanks!

bash
November 8th, 2007, 05:59 PM
Could you maybe also specify with which version of Ubuntu the Webcams worked? So that that can be added to the wiki.

But besides that: Omg that I actually still see the day the skype video comes to Linux.

hellmet
November 8th, 2007, 06:32 PM
How do I install it on 64 bit Gutsy?

meborc
November 8th, 2007, 06:34 PM
Could you maybe also specify with which version of Ubuntu the Webcams worked? So that that can be added to the wiki.

But besides that: Omg that I actually still see the day the skype video comes to Linux.

i thought it would take at least a year more :) i'm so happy i could cry... oh wait... i don't have a webcam :(

checking the wiki now... will buy a webcam this weekend... thanks for the good news, and people, keep on contributing to the wikipage!

loell
November 8th, 2007, 06:41 PM
be sure to buy a webcam that uses a gspca driver , and not those webcams that uses the uvc drivers ;)

BatPenguin
November 8th, 2007, 06:47 PM
Alright: happy to confirm that Logitech Quickcam Zoom works for me as well now. Must've been a problem with previous programs (Kopete) that I didn't get it working but now it works fine. Just had to select the right video input (I have 2 tv cards so it was picking one of those by default) and the right mic (supposedly I have several...anyway, USB mic works). So as long as settings in Skype are correct, I didn't have to do anything other than just plug the cam in.

There was some flickering in the picture on the receiving end (just calling desktop to laptop here) but I think it's safe to say that this thing is working now at least pretty well (I'll of course keep testing).

This is great! Now we just need somebody to port this thing to the N800 already...just imagine what a great Skype device that thing (and N810) is now with video Skype. Getting one very soon...:)

SunnyRabbiera
November 8th, 2007, 06:55 PM
This is VERY good news, skype was one of the roadblocks for many people going over to linux

sefs
November 8th, 2007, 09:14 PM
Logitech quickcam express here but all I get is a black screen when I click the test button.

Bus 005 Device 002: ID 046d:0870 Logitech, Inc. QuickCam Express

Do i need to install drivers for the cam to work before I use in skype?

When I go into skype options and video devices it has logitec quickcam usb (/devvideo0/) selected

What else do I need to do to get this baby up and running

Cuppa-Chino
November 8th, 2007, 09:18 PM
delight and pain....

got it to install but unable to choose my webcam.... shows only my tv-card as an option at the moment whereas kopete, ekiga all show both tv-card and webcam (creative webcam nx pro -- spca driver very generic)

any ideas

user1397
November 8th, 2007, 11:31 PM
My results:

Video WORKED when someone with a webcam called me; as in, the video screen automatically popped up and I could see movement.

I don't have a webcam right now, so I can't test that out yet...I might soon though

wersdaluv
November 8th, 2007, 11:36 PM
Wooohooo!!!

I just had it installed. My Logitech Quickcam Orbit just showed a black box in test (am on 7.10). I hope, it works in an actual call.

Kosimo
November 9th, 2007, 02:01 AM
Logitech quickcam express here but all I get is a black screen when I click the test button.

Bus 005 Device 002: ID 046d:0870 Logitech, Inc. QuickCam Express

Do i need to install drivers for the cam to work before I use in skype?

When I go into skype options and video devices it has logitec quickcam usb (/devvideo0/) selected

What else do I need to do to get this baby up and running

I'm having the same issue with the same webcam.

In the wiki, it says that is supported. Do we may need to install something else?

zzelinski
November 9th, 2007, 04:21 AM
Well, a bittersweet upgrade, for sure. My webcam works, my video works, I can see their video, and hear them well in my USB headset...but they hear choppy, fractured audio! Even in the test call, choppy fractured audio (or recording, I guess). Any ideas?

user1397
November 9th, 2007, 04:24 AM
Well, a bittersweet upgrade, for sure. My webcam works, my video works, I can see their video, and hear them well in my USB headset...but they hear choppy, fractured audio! Even in the test call, choppy fractured audio (or recording, I guess). Any ideas?well u can't really count on it too much, it's like the second day of the beta version of skype 2.0, so its gonna be a while till they iron out all the bugs...:(

kodoku
November 9th, 2007, 05:00 AM
Microsoft LifeCam works!! WHOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

loell
November 9th, 2007, 06:00 AM
it seems that the logitech quickcam express have a different subtypes and device ID, i better put my device ID that works , in the wiki.

Kosimo
November 9th, 2007, 10:41 AM
it seems that the logitech quickcam express have a different subtypes and device ID, i better put my device ID that works , in the wiki.

:^^ ut on the wiki says that it works out of the box.

kripkenstein
November 9th, 2007, 10:45 AM
The wiki is written by human beings, just like you and me :) It can contain mistakes.

Meanwhile the wiki now notes that the Quickcam may NOT work easily for everyone. Hopefully someone will figure this out and update the wiki, perhaps with directions to get it to work, etc.

loell
November 9th, 2007, 10:48 AM

yeah, it works out of the box with the device ID ,

Bus 002 Device 002: ID 046d:0928 Logitech, Inc. Quickcam Express

if you have a quickcam express too, and didn't work, please post your device ID, for everybody's benefit. :)

loell
November 9th, 2007, 10:54 AM
The wiki is written by human beings, just like you and me :) It can contain mistakes.

Meanwhile the wiki now notes that the Quickcam may NOT work easily for everyone. Hopefully someone will figure this out and update the wiki, perhaps with directions to get it to work, etc.

eh? its not a mistake, quickcam express have different kinds of device ID's ,

kripkenstein
November 9th, 2007, 10:58 AM
eh? its not a mistake, quickcam express have different kinds of device ID's ,
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that it was a mistake. I meant that the wiki might not be 100% accurate, it is a work in progress, written by us the users.

Hopefully we'll get more device ids and fill in the blanks.

loell
November 9th, 2007, 11:06 AM
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that it was a mistake. I meant that the wiki might not be 100% accurate, it is a work in progress, written by us the users.

Hopefully we'll get more device ids and fill in the blanks.

no offense taken :), i googled more, it turns out that true model name of the webcam with that device ID is actually quickcam express II
;) , editing back the wiki now..

oops its already been edited, can you put the true model name in there?

kripkenstein
November 9th, 2007, 11:08 AM
no offense taken :), i googled more, it turns out that true model name of the webcam with that device ID is actually quickcam express II
;) , editing back the wiki now..
Great :)

Kosimo
November 9th, 2007, 11:17 AM

I know that dude ;)

My intention was to remark that someone with quickcam express had it working

Kosimo
November 9th, 2007, 11:18 AM
yeah, it works out of the box with the device ID ,

Bus 002 Device 002: ID 046d:0928 Logitech, Inc. Quickcam Express

if you have a quickcam express too, and didn't work, please post your device ID, for everybody's benefit. :)

How can I figure out that information?

loell
November 9th, 2007, 11:23 AM
How can I figure out that information?

plug the webcam, and invoke
lsusb in the terminal/console

copy and paste the output here.

Kosimo
November 9th, 2007, 11:25 AM
plug the webcam, and invoke
lsusb in the terminal/console

copy and paste the output here.

Ok, So...

This Quickcam express is not working:

Bus 003 Device 002: ID 046d:0870 Logitech, Inc. QuickCam Express

loell
November 9th, 2007, 11:42 AM
thanks :) , you are the second post that confirms this, the other one is in page 5 of this thread, this is the quickcam express , the on that only works out of the box is quickcam express II

would you know what driver you're using? if not you can just
lsmod , lets see what driver its using.

kripkenstein
November 9th, 2007, 11:42 AM
Ok, So...

This Quickcam express is not working:

Bus 003 Device 002: ID 046d:0870 Logitech, Inc. QuickCam Express

Thanks, added to the wiki (and moved stuff around there).

Kosimo
November 9th, 2007, 11:45 AM
thanks :) , you are the second post that confirms this, the other one is in page 5 of this thread, this is the quickcam express , the on that only works out of the box is quickcam express II

lsmod
Module Size Used by
quickcam 73124 0
videodev 29312 1 quickcam
v4l2_common 18432 1 videodev
v4l1_compat 15364 1 videodev
usbhid 29536 0
hid 28928 1 usbhid
arc4 2944 2
ecb 4608 2
blkcipher 7556 1 ecb
ieee80211_crypt_wep 6272 1
af_packet 24840 4
isofs 36412 1
udf 87204 0
vmnet 44596 13
vmblock 16288 3
vmmon 945260 0
binfmt_misc 12936 1
ipv6 273892 18
radeon 125472 2
drm 83348 3 radeon
acpi_cpufreq 10568 0
cpufreq_powersave 2688 0
cpufreq_userspace 5280 0
cpufreq_stats 7232 0
cpufreq_conservative 8072 0
cpufreq_ondemand 9612 1
freq_table 5792 3 acpi_cpufreq,cpufreq_stats,cpufreq_ondemand
ac 6148 0
sbs 19592 0
battery 11012 0
container 5504 0
dock 10656 0
video 18060 0
button 8976 0
nls_iso8859_1 5120 1
nls_cp437 6784 2
vfat 14080 1
fat 54300 1 vfat
sbp2 24072 0
parport_pc 37412 0
lp 12580 0
parport 37448 2 parport_pc,lp
joydev 11328 0
snd_intel8x0 34972 3
snd_ac97_codec 100644 1 snd_intel8x0
ac97_bus 3200 1 snd_ac97_codec
snd_pcm_oss 44672 0
snd_mixer_oss 17664 1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm 80388 4 snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss
snd_seq_dummy 4740 0
snd_seq_oss 33152 0
pcmcia 41388 0
snd_seq_midi 9600 0
snd_rawmidi 25728 1 snd_seq_midi
snd_seq_midi_event 8448 2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
snd_seq 53232 6 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_mid i_event
snd_timer 24324 3 snd_pcm,snd_seq
snd_seq_device 9228 5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi ,snd_seq
wbsd 18056 0
mmc_core 28420 1 wbsd
ipw2200 149320 0
snd 54660 14 snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_ oss,snd_pcm,snd_seq_oss,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq,snd_ti mer,snd_seq_device
soundcore 8800 1 snd
snd_page_alloc 11400 2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm
yenta_socket 27532 1
ieee80211 35656 1 ipw2200
ieee80211_crypt 7040 2 ieee80211_crypt_wep,ieee80211
pcspkr 4224 0
iTCO_wdt 11940 0
psmouse 39952 0
serio_raw 8068 0
rsrc_nonstatic 14080 1 yenta_socket
iTCO_vendor_support 4868 1 iTCO_wdt
pcmcia_core 40980 3 pcmcia,yenta_socket,rsrc_nonstatic
shpchp 34580 0
pci_hotplug 32704 1 shpchp
intel_agp 25620 1
agpgart 35016 2 drm,intel_agp
evdev 11136 5
ext3 133896 1
jbd 60456 1 ext3
mbcache 9732 1 ext3
sg 36764 0
sr_mod 17828 1
cdrom 37536 1 sr_mod
sd_mod 30336 4
8139too 27776 0
ata_generic 8452 0
8139cp 25088 0
mii 6528 2 8139too,8139cp
ata_piix 17540 4
libata 125168 2 ata_generic,ata_piix
scsi_mod 147084 5 sbp2,sg,sr_mod,sd_mod,libata
ohci1394 36528 0
ieee1394 96312 2 sbp2,ohci1394
ehci_hcd 36492 0
uhci_hcd 26640 0
usbcore 138632 5 quickcam,usbhid,ehci_hcd,uhci_hcd
thermal 14344 0
processor 32072 2 acpi_cpufreq,thermal
fan 5764 0
fuse 47124 1
apparmor 40728 0
commoncap 8320 1 apparmor

Le'ts hope future versions fix that for me ;)

Kosimo
November 9th, 2007, 11:47 AM
Thanks, added to the wiki (and moved stuff around there).

By the way, I noticed in the official skype linux forum about your wiki ;)

Have a look here (http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=101464)

kripkenstein
November 9th, 2007, 11:48 AM

loell, you know about this stuff :) , can you perhaps add a line to the wiki about how to figure out using lsmod what driver you are using? I already added a line about how to use lsusb.

loell
November 9th, 2007, 12:05 PM
loell, you know about this stuff :) , can you perhaps add a line to the wiki about how to figure out using lsmod what driver you are using? I already added a line about how to use lsusb.

added , just make the necessary corrections please ;) , thanks.

Kosimo
November 9th, 2007, 12:08 PM

There is anything on my "list" that you can figure out about my driver? :D

Kosimo
November 9th, 2007, 12:12 PM
Video driver:

lsmod | grep videodev
videodev 29312 1 quickcam

kripkenstein
November 9th, 2007, 12:12 PM
Ok, did some organizing after your addition. Wiki is starting to look useful now :)

loell
November 9th, 2007, 12:23 PM
There is anything on my "list" that you can figure out about my driver? :D

unfortunately, quickcam driver is an aging driver. it really needs to be in the spca based driver, don't loose yet, maybe we or someone can figure out this in the next days, or perhaps report it to skype devs :)

bash
November 9th, 2007, 12:41 PM
Anybody got a Logitech Quickcam Connect? Now that Skype has Vid4Lin (tm) :D I thougth about getting myself a webcam. And that one looks nice.

/edit:

According to the Webcam Hardware wiki that webcam is at least supported out of the box. So I might get it anyways. A confirmation from someone who got it working with skype would still be nice thogh

pesalomo
November 9th, 2007, 01:09 PM
Funny...

Works fine for my Gutsy 64-bit setup, although I had to use getlibs for several things but no biggie. Video works fine as well as sound playback and record.

Completely broken for my father's Debian Etch 32-bit setup. Although we've confirmed sound playback is possible on the setup and the camera works fine in Ekiga, Skype plays no sound, shows no video, and records no audio. Useless POS.

What libraries did you get? Besides those needed for running the program (which are showed using ldd), how did you make video work? Mine doesn't detect any v4l devices...

elasticrock
November 9th, 2007, 02:12 PM
Skype has worked so far with the test call and testing the video (I just had to change the audio in device as mentioned in previous posts). I'm using a Logitech Quickcam Notebooks Deluxe and running Gutsy.

beercz
November 9th, 2007, 03:39 PM
Anyone got a creative webcam working with skype yet? (I have yet to try it)

Edit:

winnie-the-poo has on the skype for linux (http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=101297&st=280) forum (post #286).

I have followed his instructions and it works fine.

Thanks winnie-the-poo

hellmet
November 9th, 2007, 03:55 PM
I reiterate !! How do I install it on a 64bit gutsy pc?

rsambuca
November 9th, 2007, 04:03 PM
I reiterate !! How do I install it on a 64bit gutsy pc?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=432295

NeillHog
November 9th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Camera: Logitech Quickcam Messenger
Bus 005 Device 008: ID 046d:08da Logitech, Inc.
Kubuntu 7.10

Deinstalled old Skyoe.
Installed newest version.

Plugged in camera and went to options -> video devices.
Camera had been recognised and video worked.
Loud speakers also worked and test call worked except that I could not hear myself.

In options -> sound devices tried changing sound in from default to USB device 046d:08da and then neither the video or microphone worked.

Changed "sound in" to "Intel ICH5 (hw:ICH5,0)" and now the video and microphone both work.

Rang a friend and he could see and hear me.

The call dropped a few times killing Skype. Only seemed to happen with the video switched on.

So to summarise. Everything seems to work relatively well except the built in microphone.

Hope that helps some one.
Neill

jespdj
November 9th, 2007, 07:04 PM
Oh no.... :(

Finally there is Skype for Linux with video, and now the microphone on my laptop doesn't work because of bug #147682 (https://bugs.launchpad.net/dell/+bug/147682)... :cry: Skype is pretty useless when the microphone doesn't work...

Cuppa-Chino
November 9th, 2007, 07:46 PM
as I posted earlier, I am having problems getting skype to recognise my webcam (as it is not dev/video0)

desktop:~$ lsmod | grep videodev
videodev 31360 4 zc0301,cx8800,cx88xx,gspca
v4l2_common 21888 6 zc0301,tuner,cx8800,cx88xx,compat_ioctl32,videodev

how do I force skype onto video 1

desktop:~$ ls -l /dev/ | grep video
crw-rw---- 1 root video 10, 175 2007-11-09 17:54 agpgart
crw-rw---- 1 root video 81, 64 2007-11-09 17:54 radio0
crw-rw---- 1 root video 81, 224 2007-11-09 17:54 vbi0
crw-rw---- 1 root video 81, 0 2007-11-09 17:54 video0
crw-rw---- 1 root video 81, 1 2007-11-09 17:54 video1

fyi it does not appear in the pulldown menu in skype but it does in feature there?

fyi my webcam is bog standard creative that works with gspca

I have check config.xml in .Skype folder but cannot find setting for video device there anywhere? any ideas where that setting is stored, so I can force video1

----------------

also forcing webcam /dev/video1 as standard device in System-->Preferences-->Multimedia has no effect

daynah
November 9th, 2007, 09:15 PM
Just wanna point out that that's the Human theme.

Go Ubuntu and...

GO BROWN GO!

EDIT: Whoa. So, my cam works in options (despite the usual issue of me being upside down, skype can't help it). But uh... I Don't know how to send my upside down self to other people. I'm sure there's a big huge "VIDEO CALL" button right on my forehead, but I can't find it. Any help?

Vn Tutor
November 9th, 2007, 10:58 PM
Skype brings happiness to Linux users including me. After a long time, Skype has finally offered a new feature - video conference - for Linux users. I have downloaded a Debian package. This package is used to install on Ubuntu Feisty but I have installed and tested successfully in Ubuntu Gutsy. Then, I also have a post about it on my blog. :)

hellmet
November 9th, 2007, 10:58 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=432295
Thanks.. Worked like charm!

rsambuca
November 9th, 2007, 11:03 PM
Thanks.. Worked like charm!

No prob! But don't thank me, thank Cappy for excellent work!

loell
November 9th, 2007, 11:54 PM
@ Cuppa-Chino

you can try linking , see if it can work, if the webcam is in /dev/video1

you can

sudo ln -s /dev/video1 /dev/video0

oh, :( but then your /dev/video0 seems to be occupied already :(

beercz
November 9th, 2007, 11:57 PM
Anyone got a creative webcam working with skype yet? (I have yet to try it)

Well, I tried.

According the the options in Skype, my camera is listed (correctly) as OV511 + USB Camera (/dev/video0).

However when I do the video text the small window remains black.

When I engage in a Skype call and I activate my video the person on the other end just sees a small black window rather than me.

Any one else experienced similar?

Atreus12
November 10th, 2007, 12:20 AM
Are either the client or the protocol open source?

davey.moore
November 10th, 2007, 12:21 AM
I am experiencing exactly the same as you.
This is my webcam:

scofield@scofield-laptop:~$ lsmod | grep videodev
videodev 29312 1 stk11xx

beercz
November 10th, 2007, 12:35 AM
I am experiencing exactly the same as you.
This is my webcam:

scofield@scofield-laptop:~$ lsmod | grep videodev
videodev 29312 1 stk11xx

Here's mine:

ianpc% lsmod | grep videodev
videodev 27136 2 ov511
v4l2_common 24192 1 videodev
v4l1_compat 14340 1 videodev

spamaverter
November 10th, 2007, 04:49 AM
Okay, it's official. There really isn't much of an excuse to *not* switch to Ubuntu now... if only SightSpeed would make a Linux version... Works more or less for me - the window of me sometimes disappears, but I can get it back by hiding/unhiding it. The webcam mic kinda works but makes a horrible clicking sound repeatedly, so I just use the normal mic input.

I am using:
Ubuntu 7.10
Logitech QuickCam Fusion: 046d:08ca (using uvcvideo driver)

I'm not sure if this matters, but when I couldn't get QuickCam Fusion to work in Ekiga (before I downloaded Skype), I did the following:

sudo modprobe uvcvideo trace=15

I also changed Ekiga's video plug-in from V4L to V4L2

Hope this helps someone else - again - I'm not sure if the steps above are required - it *might* work out of the box.

the8thstar
November 10th, 2007, 05:55 AM
Hello guys,

Has anyone tried it with the MICROSOFT VX-6000 or VX6000 cam?

amitaibar
November 10th, 2007, 10:24 AM
Did anyone with ov511 USB camera got skype to work?
It is working fine with kopete, amsn,ekiga butit doesn't work in skype.
My camera is Creative WebCam 3
Thanks

lognok
November 10th, 2007, 04:00 PM
ok, tested 2.0 beta on my family's ubuntu-box with a Logitech quickcam communicate stx and I can send and receive video to a windowsXP-box. I can receive sound but not transmit any and 1min max of playtime, then it crashes.
Tried three times and it crashed all the times within 1 min..

Bus 001 Device 004: ID 046d:08d7 Logitech, Inc.
videodev 29312 1 gspca

Mr. Knuffke
November 10th, 2007, 05:45 PM
I have the same issue that has been mentioned several times in this thread. I'm running Gutsy on a 64 bit Athalon. Using a Logitech Quickcam Communicate. The webcam works in every other program that I have had the good sense to try out, but skype 2.0 beta does not recognize the cam. It tells me there is no device detected in the video options.

Any one not have this problem in a similar set up (specifically using a 64 bit computer with skype 2.0 beta and actually having the webcam recognized)?

conphara
November 10th, 2007, 06:43 PM
This is a great day. Finally something "ordinary" comes our way; video conferencing.
On my laptop I had to choose Realtek audio instead of HD Intel for the other person being able to receive audio. Other than that the audio was VERY clear, almost phoneline quality. My own video did go white a few times, while the receiver's video was working in the lower left corner, both on Ubuntu. Another time it was the other way around. Don't really know what caused that, but when I turned down the background light the video came back on again. I guess my webcam doesnt like too far lit rooms.
Room for improvements: I really like to have some video controlling bars like in ekiga and an adjuster for fps.
Other than that the Skype layout is really good, very Gnome like.

Can somebody tell. The Windows driver for my webcam (Trust Webcam WB-1400T) does speed up the fps and it always seems to be low using Ubuntu, which results in a very choppy videostream. Any way to adjust this other than raise the brightness?
Also the webcams in the Mac notebooks - when you look at IChat conferencing, it uses the h264 codec instead of h263, so the quality, is it only software related or are the webcams just that expensive and good in quality? Are there any opensource apps that uses the h264 codec in videostreaming?

mendieta
November 10th, 2007, 07:03 PM
Agreed, it is a good day. Many thanks to the Skype team. They always said they were working on this, they took unfair heat from some users, and they delivered.

It's working mostly fine here, but it crashes some times. Still, this is just a Beta. It will only get better.

I always prefer open source software, but I realize Skype is one of the killer apps under Linux: it's mostly a trio: Firefox, OpenOffice and Skype IMHO. (Of course, there is also Amarok, k3b, Digikam, there is a full stack, I'm just thinking of the three biggest hits). But I digress.

Cheers!

pickarooney
November 10th, 2007, 10:54 PM
I tested with my webcam in the settings screen and can see myself. However, I have no idea how to start a video conference to share the picture with someone else!

Please help

mendieta
November 10th, 2007, 11:24 PM
I tested with my webcam in the settings screen and can see myself. However, I have no idea how to start a video conference to share the picture with someone else!

In my case, I had to make the camera available in the options (see the screenshot):

pickarooney
November 10th, 2007, 11:50 PM
that's enabled but there's still no options other than start a chat, call or send a file to a contact

mendieta
November 10th, 2007, 11:56 PM
Ok, with this configuration, the next call I made I had video both ways (before I had a similar config but I wouldn't get my video to stream)

tony.morse
November 11th, 2007, 05:02 PM
At last, I'm so glad it's here but it's not working properly for me...

I have a logitech quickcam messenger. I can skype with someone and see them fine, or just do chat with no video. I can even put my camera on and we can all see me but that only works for about a minute and reliably crashes, i.e. skype quits. I can re-load it and it will work fine for about a min again and so on. This seems to be listed in the wiki as a problem? anyone got a clue why this is happening?

BTW the mic works fine contrary to what the wiki says

YannickDefais
November 12th, 2007, 06:32 AM
Also the webcams in the Mac notebooks - when you look at IChat conferencing, it uses the h264 codec instead of h263, so the quality, is it only software related or are the webcams just that expensive and good in quality? Are there any opensource apps that uses the h264 codec in videostreaming?

The development version of Ekiga does use H.264. It works with any webcam. I've tested it and the quality is really good. You'll get it in Ekiga 3.0. Resolution is currently up to 704x576, and FPS up to 30.

We hope to get it in Ubuntu 8.04.

For those willing to test it (it's still under heavy development):
http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Talk:Additional_Information
(This how-to was done with AMD64 system in mind, few adjustments in ./configure are necessary for a 32 bits build)

The roadmap to Ekiga 3.0
http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Roadmap_to_3.00

Regards,
Yannick

maluka
November 12th, 2007, 06:58 AM
the camera on my macbook pro doesn't work in skype beta but it does work in amsn, kopete, cheese etc.

aikishugyo
November 13th, 2007, 04:47 AM
I'm delighted that SkyPe with video for linux is out. Problem is getting a webcam. Here in Japan Yodobashi and other large (huge) retail outlets sell lots of relabelled stuff (Elecom, Sanyo) as well as a fair range of Logitech, Microsoft, and Creative products. However, technical information to be had is: ZERO.

I've obviously read this thread and others, looked at the pwc, uvc, spca driver pages on the web to check compatibility, and checked what webcams are available locally.

What I'm not clear about, first of all, is whether to choose a uvc or an spca-based webcam (assuming I don't want to use pwc, as it doesn't appear very popular). A poster here mentioned spca is better, but no reason given. The SkyPE Beta announcement lists issues with both drivers. I gather that uvc is v4l2 (which SkyPE does not support) but that there is a v4l compatibility layer(?); and spca is v4l. The crunch is that on the spca web pages, M.Xhaard gives much better quality marks to the uvc webcams. From what I can see of the cameras, the uvc ones listed all have between 1.3 and 2 megamixels, while the spca ones tend to have around 300 kilopixels only(!).

So I am confused: should I stick with "lower quality" and find an spca webcam (Logitech QC Communicate STX is a possibility), or can I go with a "higher quality" uvc one (Logitech QC Fusion 2007 model, Orbit AF, Pro 9000, Communicate deluxe, Creative Optia AF and Pro, and Microsoft NX-6000 are all possibilities).

Any comments much appreciated.
Cheers, G.

FG123
November 13th, 2007, 04:59 AM
From my experiences and from what I've read here and elsewhere:

Logitech Quickcam Pro - yay!
Logitech Quickcam Messenger - damn!

If you want older cams, rememember - eBay.

YannickDefais
November 13th, 2007, 05:45 AM
I'm delighted that SkyPe with video for linux is out. Problem is getting a webcam. Here in Japan Yodobashi and other large (huge) retail outlets sell lots of relabelled stuff (Elecom, Sanyo) as well as a fair range of Logitech, Microsoft, and Creative products. However, technical information to be had is: ZERO.

I've obviously read this thread and others, looked at the pwc, uvc, spca driver pages on the web to check compatibility, and checked what webcams are available locally.

What I'm not clear about, first of all, is whether to choose a uvc or an spca-based webcam (assuming I don't want to use pwc, as it doesn't appear very popular). A poster here mentioned spca is better, but no reason given. The SkyPE Beta announcement lists issues with both drivers. I gather that uvc is v4l2 (which SkyPE does not support) but that there is a v4l compatibility layer(?); and spca is v4l. The crunch is that on the spca web pages, M.Xhaard gives much better quality marks to the uvc webcams. From what I can see of the cameras, the uvc ones listed all have between 1.3 and 2 megamixels, while the spca ones tend to have around 300 kilopixels only(!).

So I am confused: should I stick with "lower quality" and find an spca webcam (Logitech QC Communicate STX is a possibility), or can I go with a "higher quality" uvc one (Logitech QC Fusion 2007 model, Orbit AF, Pro 9000, Communicate deluxe, Creative Optia AF and Pro, and Microsoft NX-6000 are all possibilities).

Cheers, G.

Hi,

You're wrong about pwc: this driver is part of the Linux kernel, which means a good support for any kernel and quality of code. I'm personnaly in touch with the author (he is working with the Ekiga team). pwc support both v4l and v4l2 API.

uvc is based on a industry standard and is considered by the FSF itself as a good free driver. Support should be good.

spca is popular but this driver report sometimes a wrong information about its capabilities (but shouldn't hurt with skype AFAIK). The author is not willing to fix it (it cause a smaller capture in ekiga using the QCIF standard resolution).

Regards,
Yannick

aikishugyo
November 13th, 2007, 06:00 AM
You're wrong about pwc: this driver is part of the Linux kernel, which means a good support for any kernel and quality of code. I'm personnaly in touch with the author (he is working with the Ekiga team). pwc support both v4l and v4l2 API.

Hi Yannick, thanks for setting me straight, much appreciated. I don't see anything but the Logitech Orbit/Sphere supported (but not whether AF---I see new MP is not supported) from the models I can get locally. Hence my conclusion as "not popular".

uvc is based on a industry standard and is considered by the FSF itself as a good free driver. Support should be good.

OK, that is good news for me, thanks for the information.

spca is popular but this driver report sometimes a wrong information about its capabilities (but shouldn't hurt with skype AFAIK). The author is not willing to fix it (it cause a smaller capture in ekiga using the QCIF standard resolution).

Hmm, I won't enter into such a discussion :-) <self-censored zipperlips>

Based on availability and support, I will try a uvc version, and report back.

Cheers, Gernot

YannickDefais
November 13th, 2007, 06:28 AM
Based on availability and support, I will try a uvc version, and report back.

Cheers, Gernot

http://www.fsf.org/resources/hw/cameras

Regards,
Yannick

beercz
November 13th, 2007, 12:41 PM

Cheers, G.
Does this page (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SkypeWebCams) help? (Link from earlier in the thread)

aikishugyo
November 13th, 2007, 03:42 PM
Yes thanks for tips Yannick, and beercz thanks for the wiki page again (it's a permanent open tab for the last few days, heh!).

I took the advice that the uvc drivers would be well-supported, and went and bought a Logitech QC 9000 Pro which I found is supported under linux. I installed linux-uvc from reps, but could not get luvcview to get anything other than some blue lines on a cyan background. So I downloaded and compiled the SVN version from Berlios. Then tried ekiga and the v4l2 drivers: it works, very nice indeed!. But in skype 2 beta all I get is the same crazy screen as in luvcview (screenshot below):

http://www.aikishugyo.dnsdojo.org/pics/QCpro9000skype.png

The thread here on Mandriva indicates that the Pro 9000 *does* work with SkyPE beta:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/mandriva-30/logitech-quickcam-pro-9000-uvc-driver-596901/

<scratches head> I'm going to see if I have to forcefully change the video size that the camera gives to SkyPE....

YannickDefais
November 13th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Yes thanks for tips Yannick, and beercz thanks for the wiki page again (it's a permanent open tab for the last few days, heh!).

I took the advice that the uvc drivers would be well-supported, and went and bought a Logitech QC 9000 Pro which I found is supported under linux. I installed linux-uvc from reps, but could not get luvcview to get anything other than some blue lines on a cyan background. So I downloaded and compiled the SVN version from Berlios. Then tried ekiga and the v4l2 drivers: it works, very nice indeed!. But in skype 2 beta all I get is the same crazy screen as in luvcview (screenshot below):

http://www.aikishugyo.dnsdojo.org/pics/QCpro9000skype.png

The thread here on Mandriva indicates that the Pro 9000 *does* work with SkyPE beta:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/mandriva-30/logitech-quickcam-pro-9000-uvc-driver-596901/

<scratches head> I'm going to see if I have to forcefully change the video size that the camera gives to SkyPE....

Well, Skype is very far away from free software. I advice you to ask about your problem in the Skype forum. There is some section dedicated to Linux and video... As Skype is very well closed and patented, they can't look at how Ekiga does it. You probably get better chance dealing with their devs directly..

Regards,
Yannick

frodon
November 13th, 2007, 05:06 PM
Yes, the best way to get your problem being taken in consideration is in this thread :
http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=101297

aikishugyo
November 13th, 2007, 05:57 PM
Will do (and yes, I've been following that thread too). I'll post back here with any solutions---seems it could also be an SDL problem since the controls for luvcview don't appear.

little_penguin
November 13th, 2007, 10:46 PM
It's brilliant news! Video at last, my Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000 works great with it.

ID 046d:0990
uvc driver

aikishugyo
November 14th, 2007, 03:10 AM
It's brilliant news! Video at last, my Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000 works great with it.

ID 046d:0990
uvc driver

Feedback: I did not get any help on other forums (yet) but good news: the QC 9000 Pro works fine on 2 other machines, to the problem I have with video is confined to my desktop i386 with nvidia card (Ge6200).

1. perfect SkyPE 2 Beta on Toshiba LX/290DR with nVidia (Geforce Go 6600TE/6200TE) i386 architecture.

2. perfect SkyPE 2 Beta on AMD64 with nVidia G70 (GeForce 7800 GTX) i386_64 architecture.

Update: Added to Wiki.

aikishugyo
November 14th, 2007, 05:25 PM
Problem with garbage in luvcview and SkyPE with V4L on i386 solved:

In response to my problem, I can happily announce that after a kernel upgrade today on my Debian Sid machine, to
2.6.22-3-686-bigmem #1 SMP Mon Nov 12 09:52:20 UTC 2007 i686 GNU/Linux,
and the installation of the uvcvideo module, all works as expected! As I noted in another post, I had no problems on an Ubuntu AMD64 Gutsy system with GTX 7800 nVidia cards, nor on a i386 laptop with Go 6600/6200TE card.

So now I have two i386 (one of which is running Debian Sid) and one x86_64 machines running SkyPE 2 beta successfully with the Logitech QC 9000 Pro.

meborc
November 14th, 2007, 06:19 PM
ok... tried with "creative notebook live cam" (don't know the exact model)... everything works just fine until i try to call someone

i can see myself in a tiny box for just a fraction of a second (that means the cam works... i also can see myself when testing under settings)... and then skype crashes with a "illegal intruction" error message in terminal

:( anyone encountered this before?

YannickDefais
November 14th, 2007, 09:45 PM
Problem with garbage in luvcview and SkyPE with V4L on i386 solved:

In response to my problem, I can happily announce that after a kernel upgrade today on my Debian Sid machine, to
2.6.22-3-686-bigmem #1 SMP Mon Nov 12 09:52:20 UTC 2007 i686 GNU/Linux,
and the installation of the uvcvideo module, all works as expected! As I noted in another post, I had no problems on an Ubuntu AMD64 Gutsy system with GTX 7800 nVidia cards, nor on a i386 laptop with Go 6600/6200TE card.

So now I have two i386 (one of which is running Debian Sid) and one x86_64 machines running SkyPE 2 beta successfully with the Logitech QC 9000 Pro.

Great!

please, can you test it against Ekiga? I'm maintaining this page to help users:
http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Tested_hardware

It use V4L2 right?

Regards,
Yannick

aikishugyo
November 15th, 2007, 01:13 AM
Great!

please, can you test it against Ekiga? I'm maintaining this page to help users:
http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Tested_hardware

It use V4L2 right?

Yannick, yes, I already did---somewhere in an earlier post where I explained the problem I said it works fine with V4L2 apps like Ekiga, aMSN, and with mplayer and VLC using that app layer. After the kernel upgrade and new uvc module install on Debian sid (2.6.22-3-686-bigmem) it also worked fine with V4L apps like luvcview and SkyPE.

I had no troubles under Gutsy AMD64 (2.6.22-14-generic) with the uvcvideo module, either with V4L2 or V4L apps.

Cheers!

lnxpwr
November 16th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Does anybody have any idea how I can get my Logitech Clicksmart 310 to work in Skype?

In Camorama I can capture pictures with my webcam,
although in skype option it detects my logitech Clicksmart 310 (/dev/video0), it actually remains a black screen when I press the "Test" button. Does anybody know how to fix it? Thanks.

Boom2K1,
have the same problem with both of my cams (Trust 120 spacecam and Logitech Quickcam Express). Let me know if you get a solution.
thx

Andypoo
November 17th, 2007, 04:02 PM
Just for those who are here but not monitoring the Skype thread.

If you have a uvc or gspca camera on 64-bit Ubuntu and can not get Skype to see the device in options at all (ie. it is not in the list), then you may need to upgrade to the latest uvc/gspca source.

Unfortunately, the bundled versions of uvc/gspca with Ubuntu are quite old and do not have compat_ioctl32 support (which is a kernel module included in the video device subsystem to allow webcams on 64-bit systems to talk to 32-bit applications).

Also, with regards the QCP9000, this is a relatively new camera, so you may also need to upgrade uvc for support on this on 32 or 64-bit systems.

Andy from Skype.

styven
November 17th, 2007, 11:17 PM
Hurrah!

Sound and video working in Skype 2.0 beta.
Ubuntu Gutsy, Logitech Quickcam pro5000 for both audio and video in skype.

Sadly the screen grab does not show the test screen but it will show the device listed.

Steve.

rduch
November 18th, 2007, 02:18 AM
I am using a Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000, Kubuntu Gutsy and I have no option with Skype for video. I am assuming that somehow the camera is not recognized as being there. The camera does work with Kopete so I know the system has found it.
Voice connection to another skype user has been confirmed. How do I troubleshoot this? I have read this entire thread and maybe I just don't recognize the answer. It seems that all video configuration problems have been solved by clicking the video button in the Options menu. I do not have a video button to click.

Thanks in advance...Rene

mendieta
November 18th, 2007, 04:01 PM
It seems that all video configuration problems have been solved by clicking the video button in the Options menu. I do not have a video button to click.

Thanks in advance...Rene

Weird, Are you sure you are running the beta ? Maybe you have an older version around and you are running this one? If you go to the "About" option in the menus, what version do you see? 2.0.0.13 ?

rduch
November 18th, 2007, 06:06 PM
You nailed it!. I did not have an older version on my computer. I just downloaded it yesterday from the Skype site. I naturally assumed that it was the latest version. What I failed to consider was that the new version is a beta and the normal download button would not get a bete but the last stable version. Will unload stable and reload beta. Thanks a heap!

Rene

mendieta
November 18th, 2007, 06:57 PM
Hey I'm glad, hope it works well for you. Cheers !

rduch
November 18th, 2007, 07:24 PM
Well, not quite...The video button is now available but the test screen returns only a blank black screen. I cannot make outgoing calls at all now. I get an error message "Call failed: Problem with audio playback". I checked all the options to be sure that they were set up as before. What may be my next step?

Edit: Now calls are going through, but still no video. All I did was to try different audio configurations and I ended up back where I started. The only difference is that I now can make a call.

rene@ubuntu:~$ lsusb
Bus 004 Device 004: ID 046d:0990 Logitech, Inc.
Bus 004 Device 003: ID 058f:6362 Alcor Micro Corp.
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 03f0:2112 Hewlett-Packard

rene@ubuntu:~$ lsmod
Module Size Used by
uvcvideo 47748 0
snd_usb_audio 79872 0
snd_usb_lib 16768 1 snd_usb_audio
compat_ioctl32 1408 1 uvcvideo
snd_hwdep 9220 1 snd_usb_audio
videodev 28288 1 uvcvideo
v4l1_compat 14468 2 uvcvideo,videodev
v4l2_common 17536 2 uvcvideo,videodev

Maybe this data will help....Rene

styven
November 18th, 2007, 09:41 PM
Well, not quite...The video button is now available but the test screen returns only a blank black screen. I cannot make outgoing calls at all now. I get an error message "Call failed: Problem with audio playback". I checked all the options to be sure that they were set up as before. What may be my next step?

Edit: Now calls are going through, but still no video. All I did was to try different audio configurations and I ended up back where I started. The only difference is that I now can make a call.

rene@ubuntu:~$ lsusb
Bus 004 Device 004: ID 046d:0990 Logitech, Inc.

rene@ubuntu:~$ lsmod
Module Size Used by
uvcvideo 47748 0
snd_usb_audio 79872 0
snd_usb_lib 16768 1 snd_usb_audio
compat_ioctl32 1408 1 uvcvideo
snd_hwdep 9220 1 snd_usb_audio
videodev 28288 1 uvcvideo
v4l1_compat 14468 2 uvcvideo,videodev
v4l2_common 17536 2 uvcvideo,videodev

Maybe this data will help....Rene

Have you selected your webcam in the dropdown as shown in the screenshot i recently posted.
I too had nothing until i did this for both audio and video in the options menu.
In your case you should see under where it says select webcam.....
UVC Camera (046d:0990)
Select this and hopefully it will work.

Steve.

rduch
November 18th, 2007, 09:58 PM
Yes, it is my only selection for a webcam. Is is labeled as
"UVC Camera (046d:o990) (/dev/video0)"

aikishugyo
November 19th, 2007, 01:11 AM
Yes, it is my only selection for a webcam. Is is labeled as
"UVC Camera (046d:o990) (/dev/video0)"

First, check if luvcview works for you. Then you will at least know that v4l is working and not only v4l2. What do you get?

Second, since my x64_86 GG worked fine with the 9000 Pro (see my posts a page or two back) probably the error on your side is quite simple to fix. Are you on a i386 or x86_64 system?

rduch
November 19th, 2007, 03:40 AM
First, check if luvcview works for you. Then you will at least know that v4l is working and not only v4l2. What do you get?

What is luvcview? I do not find it in the repositories. I'll google it and try it. It does work with kopete.

Second, since my x64_86 GG worked fine with the 9000 Pro (see my posts a page or two back) probably the error on your side is quite simple to fix. Are you on a i386 or x86_64 system?

I am on a i386 system. I'm sure that it's simple configuration issue as well. Just got to find it.

Rene

Installed luvcview; the camera works just fine.

aikishugyo
November 19th, 2007, 08:42 AM
OK, so now you know v4l is working---I can also confirm the webcam working on my AMD64 system, and I saw confirmations from others that it works on their i386 systems. Just to be safe, can you purge skype, get rid of any directories where preferences might be saved, and install it again? Then attach the camera, check what is the lsusb output (or dmesg or /var/log/messages): should have attachment to /dev/video0 or something like that. In Skype make sure you select the same device in video before you test it. See how that goes...

rduch
November 19th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Just to be safe, can you purge skype, get rid of any directories where preferences might be saved, and install it again? Then attach the camera, check what is the lsusb output (or dmesg or /var/log/messages): should have attachment to /dev/video0 or something like that. In Skype make sure you select the same device in video before you test it. See how that goes...

Purged skype through Synaptic, deleted the .skype folder in my home folder. Re-installed skype with dpkg -i in terminal. Opened and reset all my preferences. Got audio and no video. Attaced is the end of my dmesg file and my lsusb output.

[294478.924158] usb 4-2: USB disconnect, address 4
[294486.959234] usb 4-2: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 6
[294487.218639] usb 4-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
[294487.219459] uvcvideo: Found UVC 1.00 device <unnamed> (046d:0990)
rene@ubuntu:~/Downloads$ lsusb
Bus 004 Device 006: ID 046d:0990 Logitech, Inc.

tezzaa
November 19th, 2007, 03:08 PM
Hi,

I have 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon installed and want to download skype.

Is it best to download from this link:http://www.skype.com/intl/en/download/skype/linux/beta/choose/
(apparently the Fiesty Fawn version works OK with Gutsy Gibbon)
or should I install it using this method :

Skype for Linux Repositories
Using Skype's apt repository

1. As the root user, add this line to the end of your /etc/apt/sources.list file:

deb http://download.skype.com/linux/repos/debian/ stable non-free2.

Then run apt-get update to sync to the latest repository and
apt-get install skype to install the latest version of Skype on your computer.

Terry
(a total newbie)

beercz
November 19th, 2007, 11:34 PM
For those with the black screen problem using ov51x cameras - this link may be helpful (post #60 by SebTV):

http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=100897&st=40

I have got an ov511 +USB based webcam, not quite the one that SebTV uses, I don't have the file ov51x-jpeg-core.c (I only have ov511.c) therefore I cannot apply SebTV's patch.

I think SebTV's solution is getting close though.

Can anyone modify the patch for an ov511 based camera?

banda
November 20th, 2007, 03:48 PM
@beercz
thanks for providing the link..
but in order to install the patched version of the driver that sebtv provided i will have to remove the driver i already have installed.. unfortunately i do not yet know of a way to do this ..
i will be very glad if you could point me in the right direction .. thanks :)

Bus 001 Device 005: ID 041e:405f Creative Technology, Ltd
(its a creative vista webcam model number - vf0330)

$ lsmod | grep videodev
videodev 29312 2 ov51x_jpeg

KingWilliam
November 20th, 2007, 05:38 PM
neat-o, my cheap-*** LabTec webcam is supported :D

rduch
November 20th, 2007, 08:32 PM
Her's an update of my efforts to get video working since my last post.
Looking through the Skype website for solutions I noticed on the download page that the required files for beta 2.0 included QT4.2.1+ and D-bus 1.0.0. I checked in my Adept Manager and found that I had QT 3.something installed but not 4.etc. I installed 4.* and removed and re-installed Skype, but no luck. The next item was D-bus 1.0.0. Now there are several D-bus associated files listed in my Adept Manager, all seemingly to address some particular issue. Some state that they will not do the regular D-bus job (or so it seems to me). Can someone clarify which D-bus file is required for Skype? I have all the main, security multiverse and universe repositories accessed. Do I need to go to an outside source for the correct file?

Thanks again for all the help....Rene

Edit: Found out that I had d-bus as required.....anybody with any other ideas?

estebe
November 22nd, 2007, 08:04 AM
Hi, I’ve tried Skype 2 with a Logitech Quickcam Chat for skype.

lsusb
Bus 002 Device 002 ID 046d:092e Logitech Inc.

lsmod | grep videodev
videodev 29312 2 gspca,bttv
v4l2_common 18432 4 tuner,tvaudio,bttv,videodev
v4l1-compat 15364 2 bttv, videodev

I can send the video signal, the others can see me but I can not see myself and the others. Also when I click test on options my video is too dark and I can not change anything like sharpness…
Any idea?

jespdj
November 22nd, 2007, 10:22 AM
Are either the client or the protocol open source?
NO and NO.

tuque
November 24th, 2007, 06:23 PM
Rduch, If you find a fix please let me know.
I'm having the same difficulty with a Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000 (046d:0990) and Gutsy with Skype.
Uvc is installed but doesn't work in Skype, just displays static. Also fails to work in Canorama with the error message, "could not connect to video device (/dev/video0) "

lsmod | grep videodev
videodev 29312 1 uvcvideo
v4l1_compat 15364 2 uvcvideo,videodev
v4l2_common 18432 2 uvcvideo,videodev

The camera works in Cheese (although the image is poor, blurred) so I guess V4l2 is running ok.
Rather puzzling as others report this camera works without issues. It's bound to be something simple that I have or haven't done but for now it's got me beat.

masmre
November 25th, 2007, 11:27 AM
stk11xx working whit new 1.2.0 release.
Asus a6km laptop.
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=178178&package_id=205527&release_id=556245

diego1188
November 26th, 2007, 12:48 AM
Downloaded skype 2.0 today. Tested with my cheap Trust wb1200p webcam, which works with all the other apps; the webcam was recognized, but I only got a black test window.
Tried many times, also tried disabling compiz, but had no luck.
Then I installed the ow511 source driver, I tried once more and it worked (slow framerate and 100% cpu, but at least it worked).
This is the webcam:
http://www.trust.com/products/default.aspx?item=13405
Product ID is 093a:2468, I guess it uses gspca driver (but how can I find out that? :confused:).

Whoopie
November 26th, 2007, 08:20 AM
Hi,

don't miss http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=102838

With skype_video_hijacker, I got my Quickcam Messenger working.

The preview doesn't work, so you should test it with a real video call.

Best regards,
Whoopie

MarcRJacobs
November 27th, 2007, 11:27 PM
Just downloaded the new Skype 2.x. I have been using Linphone with a M$ Lifecam NX-6000 on my Toshiba P105-S9337 running Kubuntu 7.10. It's been great. Can anyone tell me why this cam won't work in Skype, but does in Linphone? It's not a hardware, or palette issues (as has been discussed), because Linphone has perfect colors and a good frame rate. Any ideas?
Thanks

neocon2005
November 28th, 2007, 11:23 PM
Hello Folks:
Got the Logitech Quickcam Express (device id 046d:0870) working with Skype. I don't know what driver (quickcam?) I am using though. Teach me how to find it and I will post it.

I followed the instructions on http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=102838
(http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=102838)

Download source code using

svn checkout http://gstfakevideo.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ gstfakevideo

Make sure dependencies are satisfied with

sudo apt-get install libgstreamer0.10-dev pkg-config

Then

cd gstfakevideo
make
sudo make install

If your webcam is at /dev/video0 then sudo mv /dev/video0 /dev/video1

Fire up skype with
gstfakevideo v4lsrc device=/dev/video1 ! ffmpegcolorspace and enjoy Skype with video!!! And my preview works too! Plus I tested on a remote machine as well :)

YMMV with other webcams but give this procedure a shot!

Alas! It crashes randomly!

I'm having the same issue with the same webcam.

In the wiki, it says that is supported. Do we may need to install something else?

aikishugyo
November 29th, 2007, 04:23 AM
I'd like to offer this tip for those of you with problems involving stiping, interlacing, and the like: where you can see that the camera is working, but something in the resolution is screwed up (this may also appear as a green screen, or even a black screen if you mess up the editing of the file I mention below).

From the SkyPE forums, there was the suggestion to edit the ~/.Skype/<username>/config.xml (after backing it up. This is the procedure I used.

1. Prepare by making a backup of the config.xml file (e.g., config.xml.orig)

2. Start SkyPE, go to video options, and tick the "start automatically" type button. I assume from the intro that your camera is already detected, so take note of the device name.

3. Now quit (not just close) SkyPE, and edit the config.xml file, looking for an XML structure <Video> ... </Video>. Initially it would not be there, but if you followed step 2, there should be one, with a single line <AutoSend>1</AutoSend> inside it.

4. Now, add a line
<Device>/dev/videoN</Device> in the structure, where N is the number of your device seen in SkyPE video options (usually 0).

5. Now open SkyPE again and check that it still "works" as before. A wrong devicename will be fatal.

5. Quit SkyPE again, and add another line,
<Fps>10</Fps> to the video section of the config file (see below for more). This is kind of a minimum requirement I expect, although you could use 5 instead of 10. Then you have other more serious graphics problems anyway :-) Restart SkyPE and check that it still works! Then quite SkyPE again and we'll get to the real meat of the deal.

6. Run "luvcview -L" which should output the capabilities of your graphics card. If you don't have luvcview already, either download it from the author's site (gspca driver site), or add a Hardy universe line to the apt repos and install it from there. Now, the output should read something like this, with the exact lines and IFR numbers supported dependent on your graphics card/X layer and so on (below is from a twin nVidia 7800GTX card on a 2-year-old AMD64 platform, I doubt that will be matched by many laptops out there, hehe):

luvcview version 0.2.1
Video driver: x11
A window manager is available
video /dev/video0
/dev/video0 does not support read i/o
{ pixelformat = 'MJPG', description = 'MJPEG' }
{ discrete: width = 160, height = 120 }
Time interval between frame: 1/30, 1/25, 1/20, 1/15, 1/10, 1/5,
{ discrete: width = 176, height = 144 }
{ discrete: width = 320, height = 240 }
{ discrete: width = 352, height = 288 }
{ discrete: width = 640, height = 480 }
{ discrete: width = 800, height = 600 }
{ discrete: width = 960, height = 720 }
Time interval between frame: 1/15, 1/10, 1/5,
{ pixelformat = 'YUYV', description = 'YUV 4:2:2 (YUYV)' }
Time interval between frame: 1/25, 1/20, 1/15, 1/10, 1/5,
Time interval between frame: 1/10, 1/5,
{ discrete: width = 1600, height = 1200 }
Time interval between frame: 1/5,

SkyPE I think (is this true?) need the YUV supported mode, and if it assumes in its own twisted little way something different than what your card supports, you are *screwed* by the pooch. I have 4 machines that I tested SkyPE on, and on one it was fine (the above one), on another I got video but the lower part was frozen, and in another two I got interlacing. Well, no longer :-)

7. Now, be conservative (as you can see, 10 for the inverse of frame speed is fairly conservative), and take, for example, the YUV resolution of 176x144 as a starting point (if you have an older laptop, for example like one of my Toshiba models from 2000 that originally ran Windows ME, gulp, you might try less, but I pretty much think you won't need to), and add the following lines to your config.xml video section:
<CaptureWidth>176</CaptureWidth>
<CaptureHeight>144</CaptureHeight>
Start up SkePE again and see if that works. I hope it does, else go back a couple of steps to where it does work, and try a lower resolution and/or frame speed setting.

8. Now, if that all works, you may experiment with different settings, maybe writing scripts to choose SkyPE to start up with different configurations depending on who/where you are calling to and from which location you are connected from, etc. Because, of course, the bandwidth requirements are quite different. Obviously, with the current state of SkyPE for linux doing unknown things with its selection criteria for video modes, someone on a Windows machine will have a different default bandwidth use compared to someone using the same camera on a linux system... so you have to do this setting manually for now.

I hope this helps, cheers,
Gernot

wieman01
November 29th, 2007, 08:20 AM
Funny... latest Skype BETA version works great on Kubuntu Gutsy. No more crashes with a Logitech webcam. Things are improving, guys.

mendieta
December 1st, 2007, 12:03 AM
Funny... latest Skype BETA version works great on Kubuntu Gutsy. No more crashes with a Logitech webcam. Things are improving, guys.

Uou, I have a logitech, consistently crashing after one minute of use with Skype beta, and now I see your post. Which beta version are you running ? I thought they only released one so far: 2.0.0.13

Is there an apt repository to install the betas?

Thanks !

Warpnow
December 1st, 2007, 05:14 AM
awsome. Im going to get it.

wieman01
December 1st, 2007, 09:58 AM
Uou, I have a logitech, consistently crashing after one minute of use with Skype beta, and now I see your post. Which beta version are you running ? I thought they only released one so far: 2.0.0.13

Is there an apt repository to install the betas?

Thanks !
Sorry, I have to revise my statement... it constantly crashes in Feisty and is rock-stable using the same device in Gutsy. But the version number has not changed indeed. Sorry for the confusion.

mendieta
December 1st, 2007, 07:58 PM
Sorry, I have to revise my statement... it constantly crashes in Feisty and is rock-stable using the same device in Gutsy. But the version number has not changed indeed. Sorry for the confusion.

No problem ! Thanks a lot for letting us know! Indeed, it seems like this bug is going to be fixed in the next beta, according to a skype staff member:

http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=101447&st=0

Cheers!

rsambuca
December 5th, 2007, 06:02 PM
A new update has been released today. You can get details of fixes and download it here.

Skype 2.0 Beta for Linux update (http://share.skype.com/sites/garage/2007/12/skype_20_beta_for_linux_update.html)

xhilyn
December 5th, 2007, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the info. I have just installed the new beta and it looks like my 1 min crashing bug has been squished. So the new one works brilliantly for me, I'm well chuffed. I hope everyone else is as lucky. I'm using a Logitec QuickCam Connect and the onboard mic works as well. Great stuff.

xhi

MarcRJacobs
December 5th, 2007, 07:42 PM
The Feisty Fawn (7.04) link is broken on the Skype linux beta download page (http://www.skype.com/intl/en/download/skype/linux/beta/choose/). Where did you get yours? I want one too. Thanks

xhilyn
December 5th, 2007, 09:56 PM
Hi. Yeah thats where I got it from and the link woks ok for me in Firefox. I checked it on two different computers and the link worked fine on both.
Sorry I can't help further.

xhi

meborc
December 5th, 2007, 10:12 PM
so you guys use the feisty version on gutsy? or you use the static pack?

rsambuca
December 5th, 2007, 10:12 PM
so you guys use the feisty version on gutsy? or you use the static pack?

Feisty deb seems to work in Gutsy.

meborc
December 5th, 2007, 10:23 PM
Feisty deb seems to work in Gutsy.

thanks... i hope this version will work for me... i have a strange crash just when i start a video call... if i chat or just stay online everything is OK...

but as soon as i video-call someone, the program just closes

does everyone have the same video/call quality between linux-linux and linux-windows/mac ? or are there abnormalities?

EDIT: just checked, the same bug still exists... as soon as i video-call someone, the skype window closes :S

rsambuca
December 5th, 2007, 11:12 PM
thanks... i hope this version will work for me... i have a strange crash just when i start a video call... if i chat or just stay online everything is OK...

but as soon as i video-call someone, the program just closes

does everyone have the same video/call quality between linux-linux and linux-windows/mac ? or are there abnormalities?

EDIT: just checked, the same bug still exists... as soon as i video-call someone, the skype window closes :S

Close Skype and then open it from a terminal window. Then test it on a video call. It should give some error message.

meborc
December 7th, 2007, 06:45 PM
Close Skype and then open it from a terminal window. Then test it on a video call. It should give some error message.

sorry for late reply :) i did start skype from terminal, but forgot to include the error message

the error i got was:

Starting the process...
Illegal instruction

after which the skype closes... there are no other messages when starting skype from the terminal... only these 2 lines

btw - i'm running fluxbuntu RC (gutsy based) latest updates...

ps. tried starting skype with sudo (just to be sure) and yes, i get the exact same error
pps. the cam i use is logitech quick cam (works perfectly with motion etc)

mendieta
December 9th, 2007, 10:49 PM
Good news here ! The latest beta (2.0.0.27) solves the well known gspca crash after 1 minute of use, with my camera (logitech stx (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=487401)).

Many thanks to the skype team!

ronmarley1
December 11th, 2007, 07:21 PM
Just to add a bit here... I have Skype version 2.0.0.27 and am able to video call with the Logitech QuickCam for Notebooks Pro. All seems to work well.

EDIT: Maybe I spoke too soon... I rtied it with another teacher here at school, who did not have a camera. Video from my desktop to hers worked well. I tried it last night from home, and sending video from me was fine, but I was not able to receive video. I tried just running Metacity, instead of Compiz, and it did not improve. So, the final result is... it sorta works for me.

Atow
December 12th, 2007, 09:21 PM
Calls work flawlessly on HP v5000 laptop.

1 minor issue is that you cannot have teamspeak open and make a skype call. it gives an error about ur audio device.

i dont have webcam so yeah

pablovp
December 16th, 2007, 04:05 AM
Hi

I have a LG LIC-200 webcam, it's using the gspca driver.

The cam works on ekiga, but on skype it shows only a black screen when i click the test button.

Anyone solved this problem?

MarcRJacobs
December 16th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Hi

I have a Microsoft LifeCam NX-6000 webcam.

This cam also works perfectly on ekiga, but on skype it shows only a black screen when i click the test button.

Kosimo
December 16th, 2007, 05:10 PM
Hi

I have a Microsoft LifeCam NX-6000 webcam.

This cam also works perfectly on ekiga, but on skype it shows only a black screen when i click the test button.

Have a look to the dedicated wiki (first post on this 3rd)
then search for your camera and find out the current status (if one)
If you can't find your camera, would be nice if you can add your information.

Cosimo.

MarcRJacobs
December 16th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Hi Cosimo;
Thanks for the reply.
Sorry, I can't find the wiki "(first post on this 3rd)". I guess I don't understand your instruction. Can you please provide a link?
Thanks

meborc
December 16th, 2007, 07:48 PM
i guess he ment this - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SkypeWebCams (first post on this thread)

Kosimo
December 17th, 2007, 04:20 PM
i guess he ment this - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SkypeWebCams (first post on this thread)

Exactly ;)

HumanAnarchist
December 23rd, 2007, 06:59 AM
Is it possible to record the video in skype, if so, how can I do it?

-ha-

Hark3n
December 26th, 2007, 04:02 PM
Good news everyone.

Just bought myself a Logitech Quickcam Express Plus, as recommended by the wiki, and it work flawlessly.

Only problem is that it went nearly completely dark halfway through the call to my brother.

After the call the video settings in Skype showed it at normal brightness again.

Anybody know what could be the problem.

Regards,
E

cytg
December 28th, 2007, 11:27 PM
havent tried it yet, just wanna pitch in a

HURRA! finally! Merry friggin christmas to you too :)

xurizaemon
January 1st, 2008, 10:10 PM
I grabbed the "Feisty" deb from Skype but it core dumped (I'm on Gutsy, they don't offer a Gutsy deb, and the feisty d/l is labelled "debian" anyway).

It core dumped when trying to display the EULA screen. (Gotta love it.)

I purged that download, installed the 1.4 version from Medibuntu. Worked fine.

On a hunch, I then download the "dynamic" version and installing it in /opt - worked fine also. So then I removed skype and skype-common from medibuntu, and reinstalled the Feisty deb from Skype. And that one works now too.

(I suspect it was just the EULA screen that had issues? By installing Medibuntu and/or the dynamic version, I must have agreed to Skype's current EULA, and skipped that phase when reinstalling their Feisty deb.

So there may be a cleaner workaround, like echo "yes" > ~/.all_my_words_are_belong_to_skype ...

Bossieman
January 1st, 2008, 11:17 PM
I just ordered a QuickCam 9000 Pro that should work perfect with Skype according to the wiki. But now i read this thread and I see that people have problem with it?!? :confused:

Can someone tell me how it actually works? Is it just to plug in and start skype or do i have to install some drivers?

Bossieman
January 2nd, 2008, 12:53 PM
Well, the cam just arrived. I plugged it in and started up Skype2 beta and I had video and it all worked.
Microphone doesnt work as far as I know.

Bastardbugger
January 2nd, 2008, 09:08 PM
To get the mic' working on the Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000 with Skype;

In Skype, Options, Sound Devices, select the "Sound in" box and scroll to and select "USB Device 0x46d:0x990 (hw:U0x46d0x990,0)"

That is the USB mic on the webcam.

Bossieman
January 2nd, 2008, 10:50 PM
Thanks Bastardbugger, ill try that.
Now I noticed that videocall actually doesnt work for more than 10 seconds. How do you people fix this with the 9000? Any speciall drivers?

DrSpirograph
January 3rd, 2008, 08:01 AM
(I suspect it was just the EULA screen that had issues? By installing Medibuntu and/or the dynamic version, I must have agreed to Skype's current EULA, and skipped that phase when reinstalling their Feisty deb.

So there may be a cleaner workaround, like echo "yes" > ~/.all_my_words_are_belong_to_skype ...
It seems to be a combination of having an existing profile setup when the EULA is displayed.

I also got the core dump, so then I moved my ~/.Skye directory and it started up fine (including EULA).

So I moved the ~/.Skype directory back, and edited ~/.Skype/shared.xml, I changed

<Installed>1</Installed>to

<Installed>2</Installed>
that got rid of the EULA and Skype worked fine after that.

lilies34
January 7th, 2008, 09:59 AM
The video works flawlessly with the built-in web cam on my HP dv6000t laptop.

works perfectly with my toshiba laptop too! :popcorn:

mendieta
January 13th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Guys, Version 2.0.0.27 fixes the 50 secs gspca driver crash. I can confirm with my STX Camera, and I updated the wiki, only for my camera:

I am planning to update the comments for all gspca based cameras unless someone objects. Please let me know ...

wjston
January 15th, 2008, 01:04 AM
Thanks Bastardbugger, ill try that.
Now I noticed that videocall actually doesnt work for more than 10 seconds. How do you people fix this with the 9000? Any speciall drivers?

Go to your home folder>press Ctrl_H and this should show all hidden folders in your home folder. Navigate to the .Skype folder and then the folder with the config.xml file in it. Right click on the file and choose>open with> then choose either a text editor or Bluefish editor or some other editor that will allow you to add information. Add the part that I highlighted in red or a Height and Width that works for you. This hopefully will help.

<Video>
<AutoSend>1</AutoSend>
<CaptureHeight>600</CaptureHeight>
<CaptureWidth>800</CaptureWidth>
<Device>/dev/video0</Device>
<Fps>25</Fps>
</Video>

mendieta
January 15th, 2008, 03:54 AM
Guys, Version 2.0.0.27 fixes the 50 secs gspca driver crash. I can confirm with my STX Camera, and I updated the wiki, only for my camera:

I am planning to update the comments for all gspca based cameras unless someone objects. Please let me know ...

Done!

Bossieman
January 15th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Go to your home folder>press Ctrl_H and this should show all hidden folders in your home folder. Navigate to the .Skype folder and then the folder with the config.xml file in it. Right click on the file and choose>open with> then choose either a text editor or Bluefish editor or some other editor that will allow you to add information. Add the part that I highlighted in red or a Height and Width that works for you. This hopefully will help.

<Video>
<AutoSend>1</AutoSend>
<CaptureHeight>600</CaptureHeight>
<CaptureWidth>800</CaptureWidth>
<Device>/dev/video0</Device>
<Fps>25</Fps>
</Video>

Thanks, I will try this.

wjston
January 15th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Thanks, I will try this.

The height and width settings may vary depending on your video card. I am using an Nvidia FX5200. The best way to find out what resolutions your card/camera are capable of is to launch luvcview by typing luvcview -L in a terminal (you may have to install it). Also, make sure your camera is located at /dev/video0 (This may be different if you have one or more TV capture cards). You can verify this by going into the Skype options>VideoDevices and checking the location under the "Select Web Camera" option.

Bossieman
January 15th, 2008, 01:15 PM
The height and width settings may vary depending on your video card. I am using an Nvidia FX5200. The best way to find out what resolutions your card/camera are capable of is to launch luvcview by typing luvcview -L in a terminal (you may have to install it). Also, make sure your camera is located at /dev/video0 (This may be different if you have one or more TV capture cards). You can verify this by going into the Skype options>VideoDevices and checking the location under the "Select Web Camera" option.

leif@Znote-6224W:~$ luvcview -L
luvcview version 0.2.1
Video driver: x11
A window manager is available
video /dev/video0
/dev/video0 does not support read i/o
{ pixelformat = 'MJPG', description = 'MJPEG' }
Time interval between frame: 1/15, 1/10, 1/5,
{ pixelformat = 'YUYV', description = 'YUV 4:2:2 (YUYV)' }
Time interval between frame: 1/25, 1/20, 1/15, 1/10, 1/5,
Time interval between frame: 1/10, 1/5,
{ discrete: width = 1600, height = 1200 }
Time interval between frame: 1/5,
leif@Znote-6224W:~$

So I guess 960x720@10fps should work?

EDIT: Just tried 960x720@10 fps, skype dies after about a minute. Then I tested 320x240@30fps for about 10 minutes and it worked perfectly.

wjston
January 16th, 2008, 02:47 AM
EDIT: Just tried 960x720@10 fps, skype dies after about a minute. Then I tested 320x240@30fps for about 10 minutes and it worked perfectly.

Great news. I would try higher settings until you find the one that best works for your video card and bandwidth. Just to let you know, my Skype has not froze once since I added the info to my config.xml file that I posted for you. Prior to this, I was unable to video conference for more than 10 seconds like you. Happy Skyping.

LostinSpacetime
January 25th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Hello everybody :).
I have a (probably basic) question. First to my problem.
My webcam (Logitech Quickcam Messenger) works fine on my system (Ubuntu Feisty Fawn) and after using gstfakevideo, I can use it even in Skype. My problem, is that the picture is far to dark and the auto exposure doesn't work with the driver I have. It looks like the driver used is usbvideo, but I couldn't figure out how/if one can adjust the brightness with this driver. But I found out, that there is a far better driver for this webcam, namely the quickcam-usb driver. After downloading the source, and a "sudo make install" everything seemed to be ok. sudo modprobe quickcam did its job.
Now to my question. In my case I have (at least) two drivers which can handle the webcam. It looks like the device is still using the usbvideo driver. How can I change that???

Please help!!

erolerten
January 26th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Hi Everyone

I also have a problem with my Logitech Quickcam Messenger.

After a while during the video call, the LED on the camera starts blinking and skype crashes after couple of seconds.

So far I had been using the 2.0.0.13 after trying the 2.0.0.27 I will let you know the result.

mendieta
January 26th, 2008, 08:46 PM
Now to my question. In my case I have (at least) two drivers which can handle the webcam. It looks like the device is still using the usbvideo driver. How can I change that???

Please help!!

Hi Lost ! :-)

I think you simply need to blacklist the module you don't want to use. See for instance the instructions here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=489679

You'll also need to reboot after blacklisting. Hope this helps!

LostinSpacetime
January 27th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Hi mendieta, thx for answering. Actually I already tried that, but it didn't work, because usbvideo is built into the kernel. I know I could recompile now the kernel without it, but I would like to avoid that if somehow possible.

mendieta
January 27th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Hi mendieta, thx for answering. Actually I already tried that, but it didn't work, because usbvideo is built into the kernel. I know I could recompile now the kernel without it, but I would like to avoid that if somehow possible.
Hi

Are you sure it is compiled monolithically? It sure looks like a module (see the .ko extension):

grisell: ~> find /lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/ -iname "*usbvideo*"
/lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/kernel/drivers/media/video/usbvideo
/lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/kernel/drivers/media/video/usbvideo/usbvideo.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/ubuntu/media/usbvideo

I can actually insert the module:

grisell: ~> sudo -i
[sudo] password for mendieta:
root@grisell:~# modprobe usbvideo
root@grisell:~# lsmod |grep usbvideo
usbvideo 28676 0
compat_ioctl32 2304 1 usbvideo
videodev 29568 2 usbvideo,gspca
usbcore 139912 9 usbvideo,snd_usb_audio,snd_usb_lib,usbhid,gspca,us blp,ehci_hcd,uhci_hcd

So, now I see it loaded, and listed as a videodev (my driver is gspca)

I can also remove the module:

root@grisell:~# rmmod usbvideo
root@grisell:~# lsmod |grep usbvideo
root@grisell:~# lsmod |grep gspca
gspca 608208 0
videodev 29568 1 gspca
usbcore 139912 8 snd_usb_audio,snd_usb_lib,usbhid,gspca,usblp,ehci_ hcd,uhci_hcd

I think you'll fix this soon if you play a bit with these commands. It could be that the blacklisting is not working. You may search the forums for that. Or maybe you are having a different issue ...

LostinSpacetime
January 28th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Hmm.. U r right!!.. I also can load and unload usbvideo. However, even if not loaded, when I plug the webcam in, the module is loaded automaticlly.. and blacklisting it doesn't help at all. Also, the module isn't listed in the /etc/modules file. I'm a little confused. :confused:

mendieta
January 30th, 2008, 03:37 AM
Hmm.. U r right!!.. I also can load and unload usbvideo. However, even if not loaded, when I plug the webcam in, the module is loaded automaticlly.. and blacklisting it doesn't help at all. Also, the module isn't listed in the /etc/modules file. I'm a little confused. :confused:

I recall problems when trying to blacklist ipv6 some time ago, and now I found this interesting post:
http://www.beranger.org/index.php?page=3k&fullarticle=2256

Maybe one of the solutions posted there works for you ? Otherwise, I'd probably rename the offending module temporarily, you can always rename to the original name ... hope this helps!

Marianne_S
February 3rd, 2008, 12:39 PM
I have a philips spc 315 nc - and it works in skype beta (somehow it didn't last month - but now it does) - how do i register it in the wiki (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SkypeWebCams) ?

mendieta
February 3rd, 2008, 02:25 PM
I have a philips spc 315 nc - and it works in skype beta (somehow it didn't last month - but now it does) - how do i register it in the wiki (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SkypeWebCams) ?

Hi Marianne

You need to look for "edit" somewhere in the page. It will ask you to login, you need an account is in launchpad, which is the system used to report bugs:

https://launchpad.net/+login

You probably even have an account there :-)

Cheers, and thanks for contributing!

Thinker-Philosopher
February 6th, 2008, 05:05 PM
FYI, Skype Beta 2.0.0.43 just came out (checked today, and haven't seen it posted anywhere).

Bossieman
February 6th, 2008, 05:06 PM
FYI, Skype Beta 2.0.0.43 just came out (checked today, and haven't seen it posted anywhere).

Thanks for the info!

project4
February 6th, 2008, 10:49 PM
I just installed skype 2.0.0.43 on my HP pavilion dv6373 (dv6000 series) and seems to be working fine... webcam was immediately recognized... just did a test video from the options menu.

Still have to do a real video call though...

MattK358
February 7th, 2008, 09:12 AM
ThinkPad T61 built in webcam was instantly recognized, downloaded .deb, let GDebi update me from 1.4 to 2.0 and it just...worked.

sml
February 7th, 2008, 12:30 PM
WOW!! This is the process ....
1. Skype was running.
2. Plugged in my brand new USB2.0 Logitech Quickcam Communicate STX.
3. Connect to a friend and turn on video and IT WORKS PERFECTLY!?!?

Is this really linux? haha

Pekkalainen
February 7th, 2008, 12:35 PM
I have no one to do videocalls with atm so can anybody tell me if the 100% cpu problem is fixed?

Dropbear
February 7th, 2008, 11:22 PM
Finally got my sony eyetoy to work with the 2.0.0.43 beta.
just followed the instructions at the bottom of this page http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=100897&st=40
the inbuilt mic works as well

Pekkalainen
February 9th, 2008, 01:41 PM
WOW!! This is the process ....
1. Skype was running.
2. Plugged in my brand new USB2.0 Logitech Quickcam Communicate STX.
3. Connect to a friend and turn on video and IT WORKS PERFECTLY!?!?

Is this really linux? haha

Welcome to the world of real Plug & Play ;)

homersbrain
February 19th, 2008, 08:27 PM
I cannot get it to run. A license agreement window pops up for a moment and disappears instantly. When I run it through the terminal, it reports ABORTED - CORE DUMPED. I'm running feisty. Anyone else had this problem?

Kosimo
February 19th, 2008, 10:25 PM
I'm having a strange bug in this last version:

I can't pick up the calls that I receive! But I can make calls with no problems at all.

Cappy
February 20th, 2008, 10:26 AM
I cannot get it to run. A license agreement window pops up for a moment and disappears instantly. When I run it through the terminal, it reports ABORTED - CORE DUMPED. I'm running feisty. Anyone else had this problem?

Sounds like the old qt bug. You should try the statically linked version. I think the other way is to use a different qt version but I don't remember off the top of my head which one.

I'm having a strange bug in this last version:

I can't pick up the calls that I receive! But I can make calls with no problems at all.

I had this happen to me when I had skype logged in on two computers. I couldn't answer calls.

savantelite
February 20th, 2008, 09:29 PM
This makes me want the eeePC that much more.

CarpKing
February 21st, 2008, 04:38 AM
It was nice of them to switch the "Show Myself" to X11 for those of us who only have one Xv port. This just keeps getting better!

tdrusk
February 26th, 2008, 02:30 AM
sweet action. I just bought my gf a webcam for her b-day and it works with it!

chiliroose1979
February 28th, 2008, 01:34 PM
My problem is still a "Black preview window". The webcam working nicely with other linux applications such as ekiga, xawtv, camorama, ...

Distro: ubuntu 7.10, Gutsy, linux-headers 2.6.22-14
Notebook: Fujitsu Amilo Pro V3515
Graphic card: VIA Technologies, Inc. Chrome9 HC IGP
Cam: Creative Live!CAM Notebook

under vesa driver skype finds no Xv ports available and with compiled openchrome i get this log about video overlay:

Skype Xv: Xv ports available: 1
Skype XShm: XShm support enabled
Skype Xv: Using Xv port 60
Skype Xv: No suitable overlay format found

i tried xorg.conf options "VideoOverlay" and "TexturedVideo" but no luck so far.
Maybe anyone here had any luck with a similar configuration?
what about the new X11 overlay in skype, why it doesnt fit? what do i have to change?
meantime solved through gstfakevideo & vesa ... can't get X11 with vesa to be used in someway. any clue would be nice;)
Thanks in advance,)

mjones41
March 1st, 2008, 04:32 PM
Yep works out of the box with my Creative VF0250 excellent, now just waiting for Pidgin to follow suit.

tdrusk
March 2nd, 2008, 09:12 PM
can someone please video conference with me so I can see if this works. I'm still waiting for my lady to get a laptop and I want to get all the kinks worked out.

Lady Owl
March 5th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Well there is another application with voice over IP functionality is the Gnome software -Ekiga, which has full support for the SIP and H.323 protocols.
There's just the problem that "everybody" else is using skype... :-?

hrimhari
March 13th, 2008, 02:13 AM

I solved this problem by removing my old ~/.Skype folder as per a suggestion in http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=3946169&postcount=195

rsambuca
March 14th, 2008, 01:15 AM
Just an FYI - Version 2.0 has been officially released today. A few bug fixes included.

GlorytheWIz825
May 11th, 2008, 11:58 PM
I am using a Logitech Orbit AF webcam and the split screen problem is still occurring. Shouldn't this have been fixed already? My Skype version is 2.0.0.68. Any tips on how I can go about fixing it or should I simply wait for the next release?

Thanks!

mendieta
May 12th, 2008, 12:34 AM
Just an FYI - Version 2.0 has been officially released today. A few bug fixes included.

Awesome, hope to see it in the 8.04 repositories soon!

smbtol
May 12th, 2008, 04:15 AM
I am using a Logitech Orbit AF webcam and the split screen problem is still occurring. Shouldn't this have been fixed already? My Skype version is 2.0.0.68. Any tips on how I can go about fixing it or should I simply wait for the next release?

Thanks!

Since upgrading to Ubuntu 8.04 I don't have the splitting problem anymore. I have a Logitech Fusion webcam.

GlorytheWIz825
May 13th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Thanks for the advice to the poster above. I upgraded to Hardy yesterday and the split screen problem is now gone. :)

hanzomon4
May 17th, 2008, 06:45 AM
How do you start a video call, macbook pro with working isight-cam

mendieta
May 17th, 2008, 04:12 PM
How do you start a video call, macbook pro with working isight-cam

Go to the Options menu, and make sure the camera is detected in Video Devices. Select it, and decide whether the camera should be started automatically or manually during the calls. Enjoy!

gameryoshi600
May 18th, 2008, 02:32 AM
nice but i am going to wait till its final released.

meborc
May 18th, 2008, 09:52 AM
nice but i am going to wait till its final released.

2.0 is a final... or stable release... it is NOT a beta anymore... the thread started way back so that's why the title...

go check from skype.com if you have doubts :)

Ub1476
May 18th, 2008, 10:26 AM
I'm more anxious for Ekiga 3;)

Will be released in June I think.

meborc
May 18th, 2008, 11:11 AM
I'm more anxious for Ekiga 3;)

Will be released in June I think.

true... ekiga rocks... but the fact it is not cross-platform really makes it useless to me :(

for video - skype... for talking with a group of people - teamspeak

taikonaut
June 15th, 2008, 02:40 PM
delete me

vaibshah
June 17th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Hello!
I am new with the Ubuntu environment. How do I instal thel Skype on my ubuntu computer?

I already downloaded skype-debian_2.0.0.72-1_i386.deb from the skype website. But the other steps seem to be not working.
Can somebody please give me stepbystep guide.

Thanks ahead!!

Skype finally offers video conference for linux users.

Strongly recommended to give it a try.

Get a nice .deb from here:

http://www.skype.com/intl/en/download/skype/linux/beta/

It works for you?

Good luck!

EDIT: "kripkenstein" has created a wiki where you can find useful information about webcams compatibility list. You can check before buy it or just contribute to enlarge it.
Check it here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SkypeWebCams

Kosimo
June 17th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Hello!
I am new with the Ubuntu environment. How do I instal thel Skype on my ubuntu computer?

I already downloaded skype-debian_2.0.0.72-1_i386.deb from the skype website. But the other steps seem to be not working.
Can somebody please give me stepbystep guide.

Thanks ahead!!

Hello, and welcome to the Ubuntu Community ;)

The installation procedure is very simple: If you downloaded this .deb file (let's say in the Desktop) so you only need to double click that file, and then hit the button (Install) located at the top, right. Then It ask to insert your password. Once you type it, it'll start installing skype. Once installed you'll find skype in (Applications > Internet)

Pretty simple.
Good luck! And please feel free to asking if you get in trouble

vaibshah
June 17th, 2008, 06:09 PM
Thanks for the quick reply!

That double clicking I did. But it gave the message Error: dependency is not satisfiable: libasound2

what does this mean?

Infact my main concern now, is to install Logitech QuickCam Pro9000 which seems to be difficult due to missing stuff on my Ubuntu 6.06. I don't get to run the commands I see on the forums.

Any clues?

Thanks ahead!

Kosimo
June 17th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the quick reply!

That double clicking I did. But it gave the message Error: dependency is not satisfiable: libasound2

what does this mean?

Infact my main concern now, is to install Logitech QuickCam Pro9000 which seems to be difficult due to missing stuff on my Ubuntu 6.06. I don't get to run the commands I see on the forums.

Any clues?

Thanks ahead!

Ooooops....
You're using Ubuntu 6.06 witch is a quite "old" release and doesn't automatically installs all needed dependencies. You're using this version for any particular reason? Otherwise you can give it a try to the very last release: Ubuntu Hardy Heron 8.04 witch will solve this problem (appart of having an update software)

If you want to upgrade your operating system just open Terminal (Application > Accessories > Termina) And type:

sudo apt-get update (it asks for password, type it and then intro)

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

vaibshah
June 17th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Hi!
Well, no special reason for using this version. We just got it with the computer. And I am actually building an application with some CNC machines. The operating system has some application already installed on it.

If I upgrade the OS, will it harm any applications installed already? or not? For e.g. I have installed LabVIEW on it, and also, some other tools came with this for free, which are critical to my application.

Best regards!

Ooooops....
You're using Ubuntu 6.06 witch is a quite "old" release and doesn't automatically installs all needed dependencies. You're using this version for any particular reason? Otherwise you can give it a try to the very last release: Ubuntu Hardy Heron 8.04 witch will solve this problem (appart of having an update software)

If you want to upgrade your operating system just open Terminal (Application > Accessories > Termina) And type:

sudo apt-get update (it asks for password, type it and then intro)

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

vaibshah
June 17th, 2008, 06:53 PM
Well, executed the commands!

Thanks.
But not sure if my OS is already a new version or not, because the System>About Ubuntu still shows 6.06 version.

Anyways, now, how do I go ahead?

lswest
June 17th, 2008, 06:56 PM

Thanks.
But not sure if my OS is already a new version or not, because the System>About Ubuntu still shows 6.06 version.

Can you post the results of
uname -a please?

Also, you can try installing the package again, if it succeeds, chances are it worked ;) (lastly, did you reboot before checking the "about Ubuntu" section?)

Kosimo
June 17th, 2008, 06:57 PM

Thanks.

Here an official ubuntu webpage witch tells you exactly how to upgrade your system, in another easy way:

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading

vaibshah
June 17th, 2008, 07:27 PM
Thanks for the link!

Can you please give me step-by-step guide for installing skype. The setup still gives the same error of libasound2

Best regards!

vaibshah
June 18th, 2008, 12:31 AM
Hi!

Installation had no error, and even after rebooting it shows Ubuntu 6.06.

Also,

uname -a gives
$ uname -a Linux lakos150-desktop 2.6.15-magma #1 Fri Jun 9 20:51:19 EEST 2006 i686 GNU/Linux

Thanks!

Can you post the results of
uname -a please?

Also, you can try installing the package again, if it succeeds, chances are it worked ;) (lastly, did you reboot before checking the "about Ubuntu" section?)

HumanAnarchist
June 18th, 2008, 05:26 AM
Maybe the upgrade failed, it looks like you have a custom version of Ubuntu, but you can try to install the dependencies manualy, just search for it in Synaptics or at google, sometimes files that are asked for as dependencies are included in other packages so they don't show up in synaptic search (stupid)

What guy did you get the machine from? Why is it so special?

vaibshah
June 18th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Hi!
Thanks for the message.

We got these machines with our custom made CNC machines. So probably they have this 'special' ubuntu with no other features.

Can you tell me please how do I go step by step through synaptic manager, to install these dependencies. For eg, to install our previous features, I reloaded the synaptic package manager after selecting the dependencies which were needed and it installed them.

Not sure which dependencies are needed this time, for my Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000 camera or for Skype (libasound2).

Thanks!

Maybe the upgrade failed, it looks like you have a custom version of Ubuntu, but you can try to install the dependencies manualy, just search for it in Synaptics or at google, sometimes files that are asked for as dependencies are included in other packages so they don't show up in synaptic search (stupid)

What guy did you get the machine from? Why is it so special?

HumanAnarchist
June 18th, 2008, 09:55 PM
First install skype after you've satisfied the dependencies.

sudo apt-get install libasound2

If that's the only dependency you needed, skype shold be installed.

Then you can get on to make the webcam work. Your webcam seams to be supported: http://linux-uvc.berlios.de/ but the driver is not included in Ubuntu 6.06.... so you must install it from source... It's not hard, but you need some more programs, like subversion and build-essensial, I think that is enough.

Then do this:

svn checkout svn://svn.berlios.de/linux-uvc/linux-uvc/trunk
cd trunk
make
sudo make install

If that worked well, your cam should work with skype... (cross fingers:))

vaibshah
June 18th, 2008, 11:58 PM
Hi!

Thanks for the reply!

Well, I have already tried to install the libasound2 and it continues with the same error.

Also, subversion command doesn't work in my system. earlier the command didn't work, and then, it started giving timed out error, i.e. it couldn't connect with the svn.berlios.de server.

Today finally, I upgraded to Ubuntu 8.04 and now, don't know if my webcam is going to work just out of the box (as others say) or I will have to do some more struggle. :)

(fingers crossed :) )

First install skype after you've satisfied the dependencies.

sudo apt-get install libasound2

If that's the only dependency you needed, skype shold be installed.

Then you can get on to make the webcam work. Your webcam seams to be supported: http://linux-uvc.berlios.de/ but the driver is not included in Ubuntu 6.06.... so you must install it from source... It's not hard, but you need some more programs, like subversion and build-essensial, I think that is enough.

Then do this:

svn checkout svn://svn.berlios.de/linux-uvc/linux-uvc/trunk
cd trunk
make
sudo make install

If that worked well, your cam should work with skype... (cross fingers:))

Kosimo
June 19th, 2008, 12:27 AM
Hi!

Thanks for the reply!

Well, I have already tried to install the libasound2 and it continues with the same error.

Also, subversion command doesn't work in my system. earlier the command didn't work, and then, it started giving timed out error, i.e. it couldn't connect with the svn.berlios.de server.

Today finally, I upgraded to Ubuntu 8.04 and now, don't know if my webcam is going to work just out of the box (as others say) or I will have to do some more struggle. :)

(fingers crossed :) )

Good!
Now, have a look at the first page of this topic, where you can find a Wiki with useful information about Webcams compatibility on Skype.

Good luck!

reginr
June 20th, 2008, 03:08 AM
[QUOTE=toupeiro;3729548]Working flawlessly with Logitech Quick Cam Ultra Vision and 7.10!!

What is your Linux box setup?

vaibshah
June 20th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Hey!!

I upgraded the system to 8.04 and then did some reloading and installed the updates (automatic, not specifically some special package, except monodevelop which is used for my own application).

Then, Just connected the QuickCam 9000 and it worked without any settings. First, I tried to see it in Ekiga and it worked.

Then, I installed Skype by just double clicking on the .deb setup. Yesterday it didn't work because there was an error of broken package of some another application I installed.

Now, skype works, but the video is completely junk. Looks like from some old science fiction where there is some grain on the screen and not a specific video. :lolflag:

Now I will check out the other comments on this thread and will see if they had the same problem or not. At least, now I find my system in that level.

Thanks!

Good!
Now, have a look at the first page of this topic, where you can find a Wiki with useful information about Webcams compatibility on Skype.

Good luck!

Kosimo
June 22nd, 2008, 10:51 AM
Hey guys... There is a new version for linux: Version 2.0.0.72

I'm looking at the changelog. But I strongly recommend an update!

Kosimo
June 22nd, 2008, 10:54 AM
here the changelog for 2.0.0.72:

- feature: Show 'Edited by' on chat messages if they were edited later.
- feature: Added notifications for role changes in group chats
- feature: Add displaying new chat guidelines for public chat.
- bugfix: Video degraded slowly over time
- bugfix: Workaround for crashes with messages that contain Tab characters on Qt 4.4.0.
- bugfix: Fix for pressing Escape in Quickfilter for Qt 4.4.
- Localizations updated: Bulgarian, French, Lithuanian, Polish, Turkish language updates.

dixon
June 22nd, 2008, 11:14 AM
What about pulseaudio? Is it fixed in the new release?