PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a school laptop

xXx 0wn3d xXx
November 8th, 2007, 12:44 AM
I am currently looking for a laptop for taking notes, browsing the web, and word processing/power points. I am looking for something lightweight but with good battery life. The computer does not need to be extremely fast but decent will do. Windows Vista is fine but I would prefer Xp/Linux/No os with about 1 gigabyte of ram and a 60 gb+ hard drive is fine. Price is also a factor, I would prefer the laptop to be under $1000 or cheaper. What would you recommend ? Thank you. :)

Hortinstein
November 8th, 2007, 12:56 AM
use ubuntu on the laptop in my sig...check dell buisness for deals of the 1501....mine was 600 bux and it works perfect for programming wordprocessing, cool compiz desk effects, it is the perfect to-go machine for a computer science major <-me

xl_cheese
November 8th, 2007, 12:57 AM
I am currently looking for a laptop for taking notes, browsing the web, and word processing/power points. I am looking for something lightweight but with good battery life. The computer does not need to be extremely fast but decent will do. Windows Vista is fine but I would prefer Xp/Linux/No os with about 1 gigabyte of ram and a 60 gb+ hard drive is fine. Price is also a factor, I would prefer the laptop to be under $1000 or cheaper. What would you recommend ? Thank you. :)

dell outlet.

I recently got a 17" insprion w/2G & 1.8G turion for 700 shipped to my door. I found one w/ 2 160gig hdd's for a raid setup.

Only problem I have now is trying to install gutsy on a hardware raid 1...

LaRoza
November 8th, 2007, 01:10 AM
My laptop was $900, and has the following:

* Intel Core 2 Duo
* 2 GB RAM
* 160 GB hd
* Fingerprint reader (cool, and works on Linux I hear, but I haven't tried it)
* DVD +RW
* Integrated Wireless (flawless on Feisty and Gutsy)

It is a Lenovo ThinkPad R61i.

It is durable, and smallish (14.1 in monitor). It is perfect...

SomeGuyDude
November 8th, 2007, 01:25 AM
HP dv6000, $900 at Circuit City (yeah yeah yeah, but easy financing!). 120GB HD, 1GB RAM, Intel Core 2 Duo, DVD-R with Lightscribe, wireless, etc.

I know you can get a surprisingly solid Acer Aspire for under $600, I've found.

One big thing: get the least amount of RAM you can, it's always cheaper to buy your own than upgrade from the company. No joke, at Circuit City three weeks ago I picked up THREE sticks of RAM, 2 DDR2 666MHz and one DDR 333 stick, for around $100 TOTAL. They were $29 EACH before tax.

Kingsley
November 8th, 2007, 02:43 AM
HP dv6000, $900 at Circuit City (yeah yeah yeah, but easy financing!). 120GB HD, 1GB RAM, Intel Core 2 Duo, DVD-R with Lightscribe, wireless, etc..
I have the exact same, except mine has 2GB RAM. I definitely recommend.

xXx 0wn3d xXx
November 8th, 2007, 03:07 AM
Now, I am considering a tablet. The choice is between this:

HP TC4400 (http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06a/321957-321957-64295-304455-306995-1847962.html)

HP TX1320 (http://www.shopping.hp.com/store/product/product_detail/GS865UA%2523ABA?)

Could anyone provide some recommendations on these ? Both are good price and power.

professor fate
November 8th, 2007, 03:26 AM
I don't know if you're in the US or not, but if there's a Fry's near your place look for their deals. They frequently have HP's for $499 that would work great with a copy of Ubuntu.

SomeGuyDude
November 8th, 2007, 03:36 AM
I have the exact same, except mine has 2GB RAM. I definitely recommend.

I upgraded mine to 2GB after, unbelievably, finding a stick at Circuit City for $29. It made Vista run well, but it made Ubuntu run like butter. Hooray for being able to turn on every visual effect I want!

LinuxGuy1234
November 8th, 2007, 11:09 PM

Here's the Inspiron Notebook 1420 N with:
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5250 (1.5GHz/667Mhz FSB/2MB cache)
Ubuntu version 7.04
1GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 667MHz
80GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)

Here it is:
It has Feisty on it, you can upgrade it to Gusty if you want by using:

gksudo "update-manger -c"

BTW, it's $724, if you want an lower price one get the desktop one, which is $499. If you want it, cough up $1,000 dollars and have $300 left.

funrider
November 8th, 2007, 11:26 PM
try searching from dell small business featuring in local newspaper, usually they have good deal for 14.1 laptop for under 700.

good luck

wersdaluv
November 8th, 2007, 11:56 PM
The ASUS EEE PC doesn't match your specifications, but I would say that it's worth a look. :)

igknighted
November 9th, 2007, 12:39 AM

For about $560 I just bought the laptop listed below in my sig. Works great on linux with only one minor tweak for the sound.

Honestly, wait until "black friday", there will be some awesome sale somewhere, and as long as you don't mind getting up real early and waiting in line, you probably can't beat the deals you'll get.