PDA

View Full Version : I'm impressed!!

basketcase
August 28th, 2005, 06:26 PM
So I've played with everything from Mandrake 7.2-10.1, RH8.0-Fedora FC3, Debian, Slackware, PHLAK, Knoppix, Simply Mephis and various other live versions.

I read a review on ubuntu and thought, one more to try why not. I purchased a Dell Inspirion 6000 back in April, have used it on a few occasions, but most of the time it sits in it's bag on my floor. So I figured I'd give it a whack and see if I could get EVERYTHING to work with the Dell.

With the Live CD, my wifi works, my ethernet works, usb, thumbdrive works. Over all a very quick and nice process.

Now I'm going to attempt to install it and make it the primary OS on this computer. We'll see how that works out. If I find the time, I'll do that today and reply with what I find.

Great product, very happy with it!

weasel fierce
August 28th, 2005, 08:16 PM
It is indeed the proverbial "r0xx0r" :)

eivind
August 28th, 2005, 08:20 PM
Welcome! It's great to see posts of praise and success. Keep us posted, and should any problems arise, you know where to get them solved ;-) This is the place!

Cheers,

Eivind

darkmatter
August 28th, 2005, 09:42 PM
Welcome to UUA (Ubuntu Users Anonymous) basketcase. :razz:

Glad to have you aboard. ;-)

basketcase
August 28th, 2005, 10:21 PM
Welcome to UUA (Ubuntu Users Anonymous) basketcase. :razz:

Glad to have you aboard. ;-)
Downloaded the install CD (knoppix will allow an install straight from their LIVE disk -- why not ubuntu?)

Everything is running.

Amazing, wifi works, sitting at 1900x1200. Setup my repositories, ran through the user guide http://ubuntuguide.org/ Everything went smoothly. Now I'm sitting here wondering what I should do with it.

Most of my past experiences (minus FC3) I'd spend 1-2 days trying to get everything setup. I love apt-get.

I'll probably update this as I use it more.

trash
August 28th, 2005, 10:27 PM
Now I'm sitting here wondering what I should do with it.

hehe... it's a laptop so you can set it up real slick, take it everywhere you go and show Ubuntu off to all your friends :grin:

basketcase
August 28th, 2005, 10:39 PM
hehe... it's a laptop so you can set it up real slick, take it everywhere you go and show Ubuntu off to all your friends :grin:
That's the plan.

I'm trying to find a nice icon/skin set (something other than default)

Also going to see what it will take to get my front Audio buttons to work

basketcase
August 28th, 2005, 10:50 PM
That's the plan.

I'm trying to find a nice icon/skin set (something other than default)

Also going to see what it will take to get my front Audio buttons to work
Front Audio Buttons

Preferences -> Keyboard Shortcuts -> Highlight what you want, and press the key. Simple as pie, and it all works!

drizek
August 29th, 2005, 03:21 AM
So I've played with everything from Mandrake 7.2-10.1, RH8.0-Fedora FC3, Debian, Slackware, PHLAK, Knoppix, Simply Mephis and various other live versions.

I read a review on ubuntu and thought, one more to try why not. I purchased a Dell Inspirion 6000 back in April, have used it on a few occasions, but most of the time it sits in it's bag on my floor. So I figured I'd give it a whack and see if I could get EVERYTHING to work with the Dell.

With the Live CD, my wifi works, my ethernet works, usb, thumbdrive works. Over all a very quick and nice process.

Now I'm going to attempt to install it and make it the primary OS on this computer. We'll see how that works out. If I find the time, I'll do that today and reply with what I find.

Great product, very happy with it!
i have an inspiron 6000

*hint* download breezy instead, wifi, volume buttons, and video works better and its always fun to use a beta OS.

basketcase
August 29th, 2005, 03:24 AM
i have an inspiron 6000

*hint* download breezy instead, wifi, volume buttons, and video works better and its always fun to use a beta OS.
getting breezy

ssck
August 29th, 2005, 03:44 AM
getting breezy

Welcome to Ubuntu

basketcase
August 29th, 2005, 03:25 PM
getting breezy
Breezy is a no go. Got hung up at 85%, restarted, hung up at 91%. Let it run over night, woke up, still at 91%

Should have just left it with a good distro. I'll probably give it another whack

drizek
August 29th, 2005, 11:30 PM
Breezy is a no go. Got hung up at 85%, restarted, hung up at 91%. Let it run over night, woke up, still at 91%

Should have just left it with a good distro. I'll probably give it another whack
there is a reason why its called "development." It worked fine for me though, it sucks that you didnt have the same experience.