PDA

View Full Version : Wish to learn porting games to Linux.....

Martial-law
November 7th, 2007, 05:30 PM
I wish to port Windows games to Linux for my personal use and therefore need to know necessary skills and methods for that. I request the Linux community to kindly inform me what should I do for that? What skills are needed as well as methods and tools? Kindly inform. Thanks:)

-grubby
November 7th, 2007, 05:36 PM
I don't believe you can mess with the code if it's a proprietary game

p_quarles
November 7th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Yeah, basically you'd have to reverse engineer the game. This is against every EULA I've ever bothered to read.

Martial-law
November 7th, 2007, 05:59 PM
I don't intend to port proprietory games but the games which have been abondoned but are great. Abondonware. There are really very very nice abondoned games for example "Imperialism", "Axis & Allies" and the latest entry is "Tropico" as well as countless others which are available for free downloads from abondonware sites. I don't think it would be illegal to port them to Linux.

SomeGuyDude
November 7th, 2007, 06:02 PM
I haven't a clue how one would do this, but I'll say this much: I'd be willing to bet you could make yourself a long and fruitful career out of taking abandonware and porting it to Linux if you find a way to do so.

Kingsley
November 7th, 2007, 06:20 PM
I haven't a clue how one would do this, but I'll say this much: I'd be willing to bet you could make yourself a long and fruitful career out of taking abandonware and porting it to Linux if you find a way to do so.
That's assuming many people would actually buy it.

Martial-law
November 7th, 2007, 07:06 PM

Yeah I agree but the main concern would be piracy which is very widespread. May be selling them to distros like Ubuntu or others could be fruitful if that is possible. Or there may be some other way. Anyway first I would have to learn how to do that.:lolflag:

Phil Airtime
November 7th, 2007, 08:08 PM
Lots of websites openly offer games from the 1990s for free download. I think a little common-sense should be used; if a game is so old that it's not going to realistically make the company any more money, a blind eye should be turned. Rockstar had the right idea when they put Grand Theft Auto online for free.

bruce89
November 7th, 2007, 08:14 PM
*cough*OpenTTD (http://www.openttd.org/)*cougth*

Mabye I should get some cough medicine.

Steveway
November 7th, 2007, 08:20 PM
To port them we need the source-code.
So to sum it up, get the source-code, permissions, and programming skilly because this will most propably need a lot rewrites.
And don't forget money!

DoctorMO
November 7th, 2007, 09:46 PM
I asked JoWood about porting Industry Giant II; they said if a team of Linux developers with a proven track record asked them in writing they would consider the proposition and offer the source code to open source.

So not just a port but open source code.

SomeGuyDude
November 7th, 2007, 09:56 PM
That's assuming many people would actually buy it.

If you were at Circuit City or Best Buy and saw a $10 CD that said "all those games you loved from the 90s for Linux", wouldn't you buy it? I sure as hell would.

FG123
November 7th, 2007, 10:33 PM
You need more than just source code. You need a ton of knowledge and skill. You need to know everything about the platform you're targeting AND the platform you're coding from (ie. Windows and Linux APIs).

It's not the simplest thing in the world that's for sure.

DeadSuperHero
November 7th, 2007, 11:26 PM
Technically, I think the best way to port a game is to fully rewrite it. Use the same graphics, and maybe the same code for servers. But, use OpenArena or Sauerbraten as a base to build off of, and then show your product to the game's actual company when you're done, and offer to collaborate on releasing it.