PDA

View Full Version : another reason to hate microsoft

jrharvey
November 7th, 2007, 04:38 PM
I was reading this article about a guy in South Africa that moved his entire architecture practice over to Linux. He was using WINE to run autocad R14. Somehow word got out to Microsoft and they threatened him, canceled his autocad license and then said that they were coming all the way to south Africa to confiscate ALL his computers. I know they can't do that but I can't believe they would get sooo upset. This upsets me just thinking about it.

Phil Airtime
November 7th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Without sources, it may as well be a story about green space aliens beaming in from Mars and wiping Ubuntu from people's computers. And there are far more pressing things to be upset about than technology.

cyclefiend2000
November 7th, 2007, 04:46 PM
i find this hard to believe. why would microsoft care about how you used someone else's product? autocad is made by autodesk not microsoft.

jrharvey
November 7th, 2007, 04:48 PM
http://architectafrica.com/bin0/news200411111_wine.html

p_quarles
November 7th, 2007, 04:53 PM
That article just says that someone claiming to be from MS made vague threats that were never acted upon. It's also three years old.

jrharvey
November 7th, 2007, 04:56 PM
Geese guys lets bash me all at once huh. Sorry I even posted it.

p_quarles
November 7th, 2007, 04:59 PM
No one was bashing you, jrharvey. Several people just pointed out problems with the story.

jrharvey
November 7th, 2007, 05:00 PM
That article just says that someone claiming to be from MS made vague threats that were never acted upon. It's also three years old.

Who else would call? Why would they be so concerned with what he was doing if it wasnt microsoft. They never came and got the computers because that would be ridiculously illegal. Thats like stealing a car. Yes, it was just a stupid threat.

jrharvey
November 7th, 2007, 05:01 PM
No one was bashing you, jrharvey. Several people just pointed out problems with the story.

:) ok

roaldz
November 7th, 2007, 05:12 PM
...And there are far more pressing things to be upset about than technology.

Like your signature:)