PDA

View Full Version : Anyone taking CCNA or CCNA-certified?

akiratheoni
November 7th, 2007, 03:48 PM
Right now I'm taking CCNA and I'm having a tough time in the class.

I'm thinking of buying a CCNA for Dummies book but I'm not sure if there's any other site that will help me get acquainted with networking. Or what good books for learning CCNA are there?

Thanks.

ubuntu-geek
November 7th, 2007, 03:56 PM
I studied for it a few months ago. I purchased the CCNA training book from Barns and Noble it was an actual Cisco book. I think it cost $50-$60 and it was pretty helpful it comes with a cisco IOS emulator.

dad311
November 7th, 2007, 04:04 PM
I was certified, but my certification expired last year. The CCNA cert. was not an easy one. I took a class and then studied for the exam. I don't know if I would have passed, just by buying a book and studying. Good luck.

delfick
November 7th, 2007, 04:16 PM
I took up Cisco class for year 10, 11 and 12.

what a waste of time... lol
(mainly because everyone in the class just played around on the computers and did nothing)

trying to work in that environment doesn't help

though I did eventually get my CCNA1 certification
but not untill like the end of year 11, because it a wasn't very organised course.........(something to do with my cheap school, and again everyone else in the class)

then I got half way through studying stuff for CCNA2, before my TEE subjects got too much and basically the only thing I did for about the last two and half terms of year 12 was use that class to play around with linux and trying to get beryl to work on their crappy ati cards...
(eventually got it to work too...sort of, lol)

bottom line, I have a CCNA1 and can't remember most of the stuff I learnt to get it (finished year 12 last year)......

n3tfury
November 8th, 2007, 12:02 AM
I studied for it a few months ago. I purchased the CCNA training book from Barns and Noble it was an actual Cisco book. I think it cost $50-$60 and it was pretty helpful it comes with a cisco IOS emulator.

^this is what i would buy.

Lostincyberspace
January 26th, 2008, 12:52 AM
how much does the certification cost?

CCNA_student
January 26th, 2008, 01:39 AM
The CCNA exam costs $150. If you fail the exam you must wait five days to take it. You can sign up for the exam at vue.com. The certification is valid for three years. And a good place to see some questions Cisco would as would be at academynetspace.com. Cisco set up a little networking game which is good, and free practice.
And I would not get the CCNA for Dummies book. I would get the Official Exam Certification Guide by Wendell Odom from Cisco press. Go to Barnes and Noble or ciscopress.com to get this set of two books. This set of books also comes with 400 practice questions and some video instruction by Wendell Odom, who is a CCIE. Do not waste your money on something that is not certified by Cisco. I did this and failed the test. But then I read Cisco's curriculum and passed with an 872 out of 1000.
You realize that you need an 850 out of 1000 to pass right? And unless you are dedicated do not waste time on the exam. It is not easy. You must read very carefully. And just to prove I know what I am talking about here is what my CCNA certificate looks like. And let me say this again, study Cisco's curriculum. You need to understand networking in the way that Cisco sees it. Do not make the same mistake that I did. I hope that you study Cisco's curriculum and pass the test. Godspeed to you.

Sin Cere,

CCNA

Lostincyberspace
January 26th, 2008, 02:04 AM
I was just wondering since I took a practice and I scored a 900 on it.

CCNA_student
January 26th, 2008, 02:10 AM
What company made the practice exam?

OmegaBLK
January 26th, 2008, 02:47 AM
The OP originally posted this in Nov 07, so I am not sure if they are still seeking advice, but if anyone else is interested in CCNA advice...

Books I used, probably already mentioned countless times, Cisco Press CCNA: Official Exam Certification Library (http://www.amazon.com/CCNA-Official-Certification-Library-640-801/dp/1587201690/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1201309322&sr=8-2) to help me with the exam. This includes INTRO and ICND. Definitely read ICND. There is a a current version for 640-802 here: http://www.amazon.com/Official-Certification-Library-640-802-Guide/dp/1587201836/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1201309322&sr=8-1

The Sybex book is also good from what I have been able to gather from throughout the web.

I am really surprised more people do not mention the number one source for CCNA info, which is of course Cisco (http://www.cisco.com/). There is tons of docs, videos, and other information at their site. This is how I was able to pass the 640-801 exam. Go sign up at the Cisco Prep Center (http://forums.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/PrepCenter?page=main), watch the CCNA TV, play the games. Read, read, and read some more! Ask questions in their forums or any of the countless forums across the web dedicated to CCNA and networking. Google is also a valuable tool to use.

Internetworking Technology Handbook (http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/cisintwk/ito_doc/index.htm). Read that!
Read through the manuals and other docs for the equipment that the updated CCNA covers here: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/support/index.html

If you can't get after-hours access or if there is no lab training equipment in your class/school, and you have some money to spend, you may want to invest in some used Cisco equipment. Ciscokits (http://www.ciscokits.com/) and ebay are the places to go. I highly recommend ciscokits though. Best way to learn is to actual get hands-on and build lab to practice. I learned a great deal by doing this.

If you can't afford to build an actuall lab (I was only able to get a hold of two 2610s when I was studying) then you could try using simulation software. The most popular being Dynamips (http://www.ipflow.utc.fr/index.php/Cisco_7200_Simulator). This was a lifesaver for me as it allowed me to design and simulate the big labs with multiple routers and switches. You can use you real hardware with the simulation software too! You do need access to Cisco IOS images to use dynamips though. Checkout the Dynamips forums: http://7200emu.hacki.at/ if you need help.

Read.
Ask questions.
Practice.
Ask questions again.
Repeat from the top.

And CCNA_student is correct regarding learning the Cisco ways of doing things. This goes for just about every vendor-specific exam out there. The vendor (Cisco in this case) is the one who usually design the exams that cover their hardware/software and they expect you to answer questions way; Regardless if the industry, real world, or whomever's answers conflict. Good luck to you, akiratheoni. I hope you passed. The CCNA can be difficult, there is ALOT of information to grasp, especially if you have not had any real world experience with the hardware or networks in general, but it is passable if you take the time to study the right way and dedicate yourself to reaching your goal. Do NOT get lazy and attempt cheat through brain dumps or whatever else is out there. Thats my advice. Oh, and learn how to subnet in your head! Definitely know that stuff off the top of your head and know how to do it quick!

Babbage
January 26th, 2008, 08:23 AM
I think proprietary exams and certification are like proprietary software; they aren't as useful, flexible and worthwhile as generic, open source learning and software. That's one reason I was actually disappointed to see Ubuntu setting their own certifications and standards for partners. When they should be promoting and developing a generic Linux certification. The whole idea is repulsive to me, and it feels like an imitation of the Microsoft/CCNA/Sun/Java etc... money making certification racket. All certification, just like all software, should be interoperable, compatible, based on open standards and have an agreed framework.

bufsabre666
January 26th, 2008, 08:28 AM
im going to in a few semesters, to many languages to fast ugh

mips
January 26th, 2008, 12:20 PM
CCNA: Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide: Exam 640-802 by Todd Lammle

I would actually recommend the above book over the CiscoPress stuff. The stuff by Tod Lammle is very good.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/103-0583353-7575020?%5Fencoding=UTF8&search-type=ss&index=books&field-author=Todd%20Lammle

OmegaBLK
January 26th, 2008, 07:21 PM
When they should be promoting and developing a generic Linux certification.

There already exists a vendor-neutral, generic Linux certification like the one developed and distributed by LPI (http://www.lpi.org/). CompTIA's Linux+ (http://certification.comptia.org/linux/default.aspx) is also a vendor-neutral, generic Linux certification.

subzero316
January 26th, 2008, 07:24 PM
I just cleared the exam couple of days ago:KS:KS:KS:):)....waiting for my certificate to arrive...i suggest you finish the any of the book suggested by others and take up some practise test .i have a compilation of thousand qustions with explanations(test king) ..similar to the exam qustions..but it doesnt have any wireless questions which was just appened..but it should be fine only a few easy questions on wireless pop up ..so message me if you want it...:)

OmegaBLK
January 26th, 2008, 07:31 PM
The CCNA exam costs $150.

Actually when I took the 640-801 a year ago, I only paid $125 for the exam. I guess they raised the fee now.

CCNA_student
January 26th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Mips, Todd Lammle's book is not as good as the one from Cisco Press by Wendell Odom. I would know, since the book I relied on to prepare me for the 640-801 was the one by Todd Lammle and it did not explain how to configure NAT, and a few other things that caused me to fail the test. But I still had Cisco's curriculum from my Cisco class at high school, studied that, and then I passed the test. And I the price of the exam was raised in September to $150. But luckily my Cisco teacher paid for my second try since I was the only student out of 52 to actually take the exam. And I lost $125 of my own money because Todd Lammle's book lacked some things. Your only real guarantee of passing is to study what is certified by Cisco.

Sin Cere,

CCNA

mips
January 28th, 2008, 12:56 PM
Mips, Todd Lammle's book is not as good as the one from Cisco Press by Wendell Odom. I would know, since the book I relied on to prepare me for the 640-801 was the one by Todd Lammle and it did not explain how to configure NAT, and a few other things that caused me to fail the test. But I still had Cisco's curriculum from my Cisco class at high school, studied that, and then I passed the test. And I the price of the exam was raised in September to $150. But luckily my Cisco teacher paid for my second try since I was the only student out of 52 to actually take the exam. And I lost $125 of my own money because Todd Lammle's book lacked some things. Your only real guarantee of passing is to study what is certified by Cisco.

Sin Cere,

CCNA

Fair enough. When I did my ccna way back I used the lammle book and it worked for me. Cannot remember about NAT/PAT.

luvdemheels
January 28th, 2008, 04:19 PM
My CCNA expired almost 2 years ago now. It was a very hard exam to pass. So much stuff on it at that time that was not in the study material at all.

Good luck.

mips
January 28th, 2008, 04:21 PM
My CCNA expired almost 2 years ago now. It was a very hard exam to pass.

Then try the CCIE, especially the lab part.

cody50
May 27th, 2008, 05:09 AM
I'm curious, can anyone tell me the Benefits of being Cisco Certified?

akiratheoni
May 27th, 2008, 08:18 AM

Well it does look quite nice when you're applying for a job... CCNA isn't the easiest exam to pass.

I didn't take the test though because apparently the Networking class I took is only one half of CCNA, I need to take another year of it so I can take the test. This class was tough enough as it was... I understand the stuff, I just suck at the test taking, so I don't think I'll be taking a second year of networking.

zeny
May 27th, 2008, 02:04 PM
If you think CCNA is hard then you shouldn't be in networking.

tigerplug
May 27th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Just wrapping up MCSA/MCSE :S and :M first.

I have the cisco press books read for both ICND1 and ICND2 and I have used GNS3 to emulate the IOS. So far so good. I seem to be doing alright with the theory at least but I really dont use Cisco hardware on a daily basis.

OmegaBLK
June 14th, 2008, 01:38 AM

IMO, for those that are just entering in the network field and not having alot of professional experience with the concepts and hardware, I would say that the CCNA is a difficult exam to pass based on the amount of information that you must absorb and understand in order to pass. Just about everyone experiences stuff differently in life and what is easy for one individual may be the most arduous challenge for another.

OmegaBLK
June 14th, 2008, 01:44 AM

Depends on the demand for that particular certification in the area/region where you live (unless you willing to relocate) and probably how much real-world experience you have in networking. Some people will benefit and some will be stuck in the same position they were at before passing the exam in terms of finding better employment or promotion. You do get a nice business card from Cisco with your name on it though.

stmiller
June 14th, 2008, 05:18 PM

There is a debate on the merit of all computer certs in general. In most cases, they help you get a job, basically. Some employers advertise job listings stating certain certs that are desirable, and some places do not care about certs.

This cisco one is popular because it means you know how networks work in general which could apply towards many jobs from tech support on up.

whansen02
June 23rd, 2008, 06:47 PM
hello everyone,
CCNA is hard ... that doesn't mean you shouldn't be in networking. Just means you need to study more, practice more & work harder.
All the best in your training. Will :)

akiratheoni
July 4th, 2008, 09:10 AM

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I just had to respond to this.

It's not that it was impossibly hard, but I was balancing several tough classes on top of my CCNA class so CCNA wasn't at the top of my to-do list. Plus my teacher is the most unhelpful teacher I've had at my school and doesn't really teach anything whatsoever and asking questions does nothing because he doesn't answer it; he knows it, but just can't teach it to us for some odd reason.

And I'm not looking into getting a networking job either, I just wanted some insight on it so I'm not completely stupid about it.

OmegaBLK
July 5th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Just curious if anyone here was planning on taking the new CCNA Wireless, Security, or Voice exams that were announced recently?

spamzilla
July 5th, 2008, 09:01 PM
I did the CCNA last year and am about to start the MCSE followed by MCITP and MCSE-I!

FirstByté
August 4th, 2009, 09:18 AM
My own little words of advice on CCNA certification and related certifications!

I was CCNA certified Dec 2005 which apparently expired Dec 2008! YES it has. (I decided to re-certify/proceed only if there was a need)

Questions to ask before you go Cisco:
* Do I wanna take up a career in Networking?
* What aspect of IT do I wanna specify in?
* What are the future prospects of this Certification for me?

I'm a fellow who was once a jack of MANY trades [programming, networking, 3D animation ('cause I'm a natural artist), electronics & a musician]. Which apparently led me to a tight corner decided where I would love to end up finally. Taking up a Masters in IT mgmt led me to reconsider a making footprints in the sands of IT--Networking.

Painfully, I want the CCSP and CISSP but have to re-certify for CCNA 1st. But this time, I wont ever take a break from Cisco and internetworking.

***PLEASE try to desist from brain-dumps if you plan to be somebody in this field!

Hoping to write my exams this week! Thanks to www.GNS3.net

CCNA aint so difficult only needs much practicing and understanding of the WHY and not the HOW? 'Cause WHY brings about the 'How' somehow.

Good luck to all:popcorn:

matthew.ball
August 4th, 2009, 10:50 AM
I completed a CCNA course in college, but never went to the final exam (the course was part of my college work).

This would have been around 2003/2004, unless the program has drastically changed since then, it was fairly useless - most people who I finished with (even the few who went on to get the official cert) would agree - but hey - maybe we were just really unfortunate :p

Sef
August 4th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Locked. Necromancy.