PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Does this also ANNOY you???

daimaru
November 7th, 2007, 05:19 AM
i want to know who i can talk to, to suggest an improvement for the nautilus windows manger thing. because i think that theres some stuff that really has to be changed in order for ubuntu to be a great OS.

i need to be able to drag select files in details view even if i have a scrollbar.
--> this could easily be solved by making the "size" "type" "date modified" fields not respond to clicks. so i can use that space to either right click or click drag (marquee select) multiple files.

i really don't get it why no one else has ever complained about this. do you not have folders with loads of files in them? so what do you do if you have a folder that has so many files so that even maximized it needs a scrollbar? ever tried creating a new folder in there? right clicking only selects the file in the current line which is very annoying,.

i sure hope at least someone got what i was trying to explain. so if you know either how to fix this (i'm not holding my breath since otherwise it would probably already be standard in ubuntu) or can tell me who i have to write to, so this might get included in next ubuntu edition i'd be greatfull.

jordanmthomas
November 7th, 2007, 05:23 AM
Many people have complained about this exact problem, actually. The Gnome devs probably don't want to do anything to fix it because it provides too many options to the user and Gnome tries to treat its users like idiots.

rsambuca
November 7th, 2007, 05:26 AM
I am not quite sure what you mean. I can select single or mulitple files using shift + left click, or control + left click for single files.

daimaru
November 7th, 2007, 05:27 AM
Many people have complained about this exact problem, actually. The Gnome devs probably don't want to do anything to fix it because it provides too many options to the user and Gnome tries to treat its users like idiots.

okay thx so im guessing you are annoyed with this too :) yeah not alone hehe . furthermore i would really like to have the ctrl+click option to open new folders in new window. i know that i can shift click folders but somehow the original folder also goes down one level as does the newly opened one. damn

jordanmthomas
November 7th, 2007, 05:28 AM
I am not quite sure what you mean. I can select single or mulitple files using shift + left click, or control + left click for single files.

Yes, but you can't drag a selection rectangle around them. It's not that big of a deal to me as I don't use file managers very often but I know it makes some people mad.

Also, I never noticed the fact you can't right click and make a new folder in list view in nautilus. Now THAT's annoying.

daimaru
November 7th, 2007, 05:29 AM

of course i can shift and control click files but i don't just want that if i have a bunch of movies or pics i want to drag to another folder i want to be able to drag select them and thats it.

rsambuca
November 7th, 2007, 05:31 AM
Just select them and then drag them to the other folder.

ramjet_1953
November 7th, 2007, 05:32 AM
One thing that I think you need to differentiate between is Ubuntu, the OS and GNOME, the Desktop Manager.

I agree with you that Nautilus needs to have some improvements made, but it is the writers of GNOME that need to do this, as Ubuntu does not have anything to do with writing code for GNOME.

This is an area where Linux is different from Windows. With Windows, the OS and the desktop manager are "welded" together.

Regards,
Roger :cool:

FuturePilot
November 7th, 2007, 05:38 AM
I think this might be why there's File>Create Folder?

daimaru
November 7th, 2007, 05:39 AM
just to be clear i like ubuntu its just that this little thing really bothers me and i think its not a really hard thing to change just make the fields other than the name field not selectabe.

LaRoza
November 7th, 2007, 05:41 AM
You might be interested in other apps, like Thunar, Dolphin, or Konqueror. I use Thunar.

daimaru
November 7th, 2007, 05:43 AM

look i just don't get y ppl don't see the problem. i dont want to go to file ---> new folder or even use the shortcut key. i just want to be able to drag select stuff as i can in icon view

so just for the fun of it open your home folder hit ctrl + h and then plz create a new folder by right clicking and selecting new folder .... doesn't work now does it! cause you selected the file you clicked and theres no new folder option is there .

daimaru
November 7th, 2007, 05:45 AM
You might be interested in other apps, like Thunar, Dolphin, or Konqueror. I use Thunar.

now thats some constructive input. is Thunar a replacement for nautilus ? love to try it if it works fine and does not screw up anything

jordanmthomas
The mouse has to move further to do that, which is why it's annoying. It may sound trivial, but as you can see, this stuff drives people nuts.

jordanmthomas
Thunar can work well as a nautilus replacement, yes (gtk-based as well)

daimaru
November 7th, 2007, 05:48 AM
Thunar can work well as a nautilus replacement, yes (gtk-based as well)

is it hard to switch to thunar ? do i have to uninstall nautilus? how do i get it as my default window manager (not even sure if that is right... is nautilus a window manager? )

FuturePilot
The mouse has to move further to do that, which is why it's annoying. It may sound trivial, but as you can see, this stuff drives people nuts.

Sorry, it's just the only possible solution I saw.
Thunar would be a good replacement since it's GTK.

HermanAB
Note that if Nautilus annoys you, install the KDE base and use Konqueror. It runs perfectly well in Gnome and works a helluvalot better than Nautilus.

FuturePilot
November 7th, 2007, 05:51 AM
This should help
http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/nonautilusplease

daimaru
November 7th, 2007, 05:55 AM
Note that if Nautilus annoys you, install the KDE base and use Konqueror. It runs perfectly well in Gnome and works a helluvalot better than Nautilus.

um kinda not sure about that. ok i am talking feisty here , but when i installed kde apps on feisty i got a lot of the normal kde crash handler things. like when you install amarok the first thing you see is the weird kde crash thing. so i'm not sure about installing konqueror ... if it really works how would in install it ? apt-get kde-desktop or what? wouldnt that lead to loads of problems dependency wise ?

daimaru
November 7th, 2007, 05:57 AM
This should help
http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/nonautilusplease

@FuturePilot
thx ill try that.

daimaru
November 7th, 2007, 06:12 AM
but dont wait for me to try.. i'm still pissed that nautilus doesn't have this functionality as a defautl. [-X

rsambuca
November 7th, 2007, 06:18 AM
but dont wait for me to try.. i'm still pissed that nautilus doesn't have this functionality as a defautl. [-X

Do you mind explaining this to me again? I am really curious as to what this function is that you want.

jordanmthomas
November 7th, 2007, 06:23 AM
Do you mind explaining this to me again? I am really curious as to what this function is that you want.

Problem 1 he has:
1. Open up a nautilus window
2. Switch it to list view
3. Try to select multiple items by dragging a rectangle around them (you can't)

Problem 2 he has:
3. Try to make a new folder using right click menu (you can't)

He suggests that if you made the Size, Type, and Date Modified columns act as empty space instead of selecting their respective row, you could solve both problem 1 and 2.

Does that make more sense perhaps?

FuturePilot
November 7th, 2007, 06:24 AM
Also make sure to try this in a directory with a lot of files

daimaru
November 7th, 2007, 06:26 AM
@rsambuca
ok have u ever used *******? now there if i have a folder containing maybe 100 files of video or anything else. i can if i want click drag over like 5 files and select them that way. i can not do this in nautilus detailed view. i can do it in icon view. so the difference is that in windows you can click outside of the filename (size modification date etc) and it allows you to drag select stuff. the same thing works in nautilus if you have a folder with for example just 6 files in it . you just click in the white space below the files and you can drag select everything you want.

what i dont like is is that if i have no whitespace left in my folders i can not click drag select anything .... ok if this does not work i'll provide screenshots to make it clear.

rsambuca
November 7th, 2007, 06:29 AM
Problem 1 he has:
3. Try to select multiple items by dragging a rectangle around them (you can't)

Problem 2 he has:
3. Try to make a new folder using right click menu (you can't)

He suggests that if you made the Size, Type, and Date Modified columns act as empty space instead of selecting their respective row, you could solve both problem 1 and 2.

Ahh... thank you for explaining it coherently! I guess I have never found the need for these actions myself. Frankly, just not a big deal to me.

daimaru
November 7th, 2007, 06:29 AM

wow thx jordanmthomas you explained it way better than i could have. hope everyone else now gets the point

jordanmthomas
November 7th, 2007, 06:30 AM
With my "excellent" programming skills, I have got used to describing bugs or "features" as I usually call them. =P~

daimaru
November 7th, 2007, 06:36 AM
there is just one question left, since we are not going to solve this.
Who do I have to email to get this at least included in the improvement "list" for future releases??? does anyone know where to send this complaint-fix-improvement?

rsambuca
November 7th, 2007, 06:37 AM
This is a Nautilus/Gnome issue. Go to the Gnome homepage.

jrusso2
November 7th, 2007, 08:11 AM

The gnome devs are fond of saying they accept patches

jordanmthomas
November 7th, 2007, 08:21 AM
I see where you're coming from jrusso2. I was a little harsh there (and I sure don't contribute anything). I guess what I was really getting at is that they seem more concerned with following their HIG (which I think is great in some ways) than they are with giving users what they say they want. It's the fact that they never deviate from their HIG that can be troublesome sometimes.

Anyway, point taken. :)