PDA

View Full Version : If you had to 'argue' with a Windows user

Nyct
November 6th, 2007, 07:50 PM
Right, imagine the situation.

Its a tense argument between you (who enjoys Ubuntu a lot) and someone else (who loves Windows).

What would be YOUR top...3 arguments that Ubuntu is 'better' and that he/she should be using Ubuntu rather than Windows?

Interested to see the comments here, as Im a rather new user myself :)

LaRoza
November 6th, 2007, 07:58 PM
0. I wouldn't "argue", but I usually explain why the other person would gain.

1. I would/have dropped hints, like not needing AV, Validation, codes, and other annoyances of legal Windows users

2. I would say its free, and give them a copy so they could try it. Linux speaks for itself usually.

The freedom of Linux, live disks, free disks, community willing to share, makes arguments not needed.

MonkeyBoy
November 6th, 2007, 08:01 PM
"Having fun keeping your anti-virus/anti-spyware up to date? I don't have time for that sort of thing myself..."

"Just type it into your package manager...Oh wait...You don't have a package manager do you?"

"Yeah Linux doesn't have some things that Windows does but I'm sure somebody on Sourceforge is working on a Linux BSOD."

igknighted
November 6th, 2007, 08:02 PM

Its a tense argument between you (who enjoys Ubuntu a lot) and someone else (who loves Windows).

What would be YOUR top...3 arguments that Ubuntu is 'better' and that he/she should be using Ubuntu rather than Windows?

If I have to argue, then Ubuntu/linux isn't for them and I'm wasting my breathe.

bobbocanfly
November 6th, 2007, 08:07 PM
I agree with Linux speaking for itself most of the time, but not for Apple/Microsoft Fanboys, they cant get passed the idea that things not made by Apple/Microsoft can be good, so they just look for the bad points.

For one of those people:

1 - It is completely free so requires no annoying CD Serial code entry and now intrusive programs to check the authenticity of your software

2 - You data is yours on Linux. With Windows you can never really be absolutely sure what is happening to your data

3 - The eyecandy that doesnt require a top-end alienware setup to have working at full power. Contrary to what most purists on here think, Eyecandy really is a feature for most people (me im fine with default wmii or a CLI)

4 - The community. You dont really get communities like this with Windows. This place is awesome. On Windows you are on your own unless you want to pay £2 a minute for some guy on the other side of the world to tell you the wrong unstructions.

n3tfury
November 6th, 2007, 08:08 PM
no sense in arguing your point. if it gets to that stage, just drop it.

n3tfury
November 6th, 2007, 08:08 PM
I agree with Linux speaking for itself most of the time, but not for Apple/Microsoft Fanboys, they cant get passed the idea that things not made by Apple/Microsoft can be good, so they just look for the bad points.

For one of those people:

1 - It is completely free so requires no annoying CD Serial code entry and now intrusive programs to check the authenticity of your software

2 - You data is yours on Linux. With Windows you can never really be absolutely sure what is happening to your data

3 - The eyecandy that doesnt require a top-end alienware setup to have working at full power. Contrary to what most purists on here think, Eyecandy really is a feature for most people (me im fine with default wmii or a CLI)

4 - The community. You dont really get communities like this with Windows. This place is awesome. On Windows you are on your own unless you want to pay £2 a minute for some guy on the other side of the world to tell you the wrong unstructions.

it goes both ways.

SomeGuyDude
November 6th, 2007, 08:09 PM
1) Customizable out the ying-yang. You can make it look like ANYTHING.

2) Updates forever, for free. Frankly I'd be willing to take a knock in quality if it meant I'd never have to pay to upgrade, but Ubuntu is fantastic. This is also HUGE if you're like me and tend to lose CD's a lot. I lost my XP CD and was basically SOL. Lost my Gutsy CD? No problem. Download and burn again.

3) Worry-free in terms of security. No need for anti-virus or anything because Linux isn't popular enough to have any viruses written for it.

I'd also give honorable mentions to "geek factor!" and "fantastic support community".

LaRoza
November 6th, 2007, 08:10 PM
"Yeah Linux doesn't have some things that Windows does but I'm sure somebody on Sourceforge is working on a Linux BSOD."

It is called "FreeBSOD", but was sued by MS, so it had to be abandoned.

marco123
November 6th, 2007, 08:20 PM
The only things worth pointing out are that you will retain control over your PC and that it is vastly superior when it comes to security/stability. So they would be my 3 points I suppose, so:

1. You don't have to convince anyone you aren't a thief so they will/might let you use YOUR computer.

2. You will be safe.

3. No more restarting.

n3tfury
November 6th, 2007, 08:23 PM
3. No more restarting.

oh really.

sailor2001
In linux.....once you set everything the way you want it to be, you have the ONLY computer in the world like it. You are original.

SomeGuyDude
3. No more restarting.

Not entirely true, there. I've had to restart a few times thanks to wonky network settings. Although I think that's more related to my university's network settings than Linux itself.

gwoodard
November 6th, 2007, 08:30 PM
Here's my list of "arguements" (ive tried to get several people to use Ubuntu)

1. no viruses (not yet anyways...lol)

2. no spyware, malware, adware, the list goes on...

3. Hardware Drivers (newer stuff)+windows=misery of searching,installing, and restarting your computer many times hoping you don't get the wrong driver and have to reinstall windows

4. DVD and multimedia codecs+free= :)

5. as many people point out, its free! :guitar:

I know you asked only three but those are my top 5 the list goes to about 10-15...

igknighted
November 6th, 2007, 08:30 PM
Not entirely true, there. I've had to restart a few times thanks to wonky network settings. Although I think that's more related to my university's network settings than Linux itself.

You didn't HAVE to tho... you could have just restarted the system necessary. That said, restarting is the easier alternative.

Overall, I don't think this is a big deal to people. Most people shut their computers down a lot anyways, so to be capable of weeks and months of uptime really isn't a big draw.

n3tfury
November 6th, 2007, 08:39 PM
You didn't HAVE to tho... you could have just restarted the system necessary. That said, restarting is the easier alternative.

Overall, I don't think this is a big deal to people. Most people shut their computers down a lot anyways, so to be capable of weeks and months of uptime really isn't a big draw.

you have to if you want certain updates applied. either way his point was untrue.

felin
November 6th, 2007, 08:42 PM
# 1 for me is localisation. Windows XP was released in 2001 - it was December 2004 before a version was available in my first language (Welsh), and in 2007 Vista came along - no sign of making this available in Welsh. Availability in minority languages is central to the Ubuntu philosophy.
# 2 is safety - I have read somewhere that sophos were "bragging" that their av defended windows from over 100,000 viruses!
# equal 3rd are control over you own system and this community

SyCo123
November 6th, 2007, 08:44 PM
1, One command to update all software
2, Package manager to go fetch and install my chosen software with a single click.
3, Right click on video in Firefox to open in movie player.

Ok, so Number 3 is just my favorite this week :)

Security and price never seem to work as arguments for people because they have usually already paid for their OS and Anti virus and want their monies worth, regardless of the hassle. Sure it gets their attention but people need more compelling reasons.

I suppose my #3 should be better performance from the same hardware with no digital decay.

igknighted
November 6th, 2007, 08:45 PM
you have to if you want certain updates applied. either way his point was untrue.

Yeah, any kernel update would need a reboot. Hard to swap out the running kernel. But lots of things like network settings and driver installs and what not can be done without reboots, its just easier a lot of times to reboot when the machine doesn't need to stay up 100% of the time.

PS, where in upstate are you?

Cannaregio
November 6th, 2007, 08:51 PM
speed
the fact that you do not have any DRM sniffing going on, and that you basically almost never have antivirii, firewalls and the thousand other crap norton applications running in the background. The fact that it is very unlikely that you'll be crippled by a rootkit and/or similar nastythings (due to Linux, but probably also simply to not running that Microsoft explorer toy) means that you can often work and browse the web, with the same connection, at amazing speed if compared with your windows box or partition.

This is VERY relevant for anyone interested in working AND browsing (in order to work, for instance) at the same time.

This is the very reason many professionals use linux instead of windows on their desktops. Not because they like opensource, just because the crave speed more than anything else.

An ubuntu box with opera drives circles around a vista box with MSIE.

Blutack
November 6th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Every new version runs faster!
(Well, I'm not too happy with Gutsy but once I finish ripping out tracker I might be happier)

dasunst3r
November 6th, 2007, 09:07 PM
I would also not "argue," per se, because I would rather present Linux as an alternate choice for people who do like choices. However, I would definitely point out a few benefits, like:
Not needing to pay the yearly Symantec protection fee tax
Not being treated like a criminal in the form of DRM, WGA, WPA (Windows Product Activation), etc.
Transparency - you can know what your computer is doing at all times if you so desire
Customization - you can customize anything from the desktop's look and feel to the things that go on in the kernel.
Adaptability - need a server? Just install some packages!
Giving computers a longer lease on life. That is, you won't have to upgrade your machine as often
Ultimate edition for everybody!

gwoodard
November 6th, 2007, 09:19 PM
Here are more reasons to argue...

1. With the Purchase of a Microsoft Product, you are funding their war *cough* I mean "Business Efforts" and helping a Huge company get bigger and bigger (and people complain they are fat...lol)

2. Windows has been thourgh a lot of changes and the OS is still getting hacked (Dos, 3.1, 95, NT, 98, ME ((worst one)), 2000, XP, Vista)

3. Free on Windows=some kind of catch or pirated software
Free on Linux=Free, no catch or illegal means ever!

Dragonbite
November 6th, 2007, 09:34 PM
Freedom of Choice
choice of distribution that most closely meets my needs
choice of applications; just about any application has an equivalent that does mostly the same thing but different, which I could choose from
choice of technologies and the ability to try them out, such as LTSP (thin client)... if it doesn't work I just install something else, or Mail server, etc.

Easy and complete application/system install and updates
no more having to go to multiple sites to keep my system up-to-date
no having to purchase a new version to get the latest features and compatibility
equivalent to 90%+ of the applications I currently use in Windows
updates are made specifically for my system with less risk of it breaking something

Customization Capabilities unlike any other operating system
one-size-does-NOT-fit-all, make the distro or operating system do what I need it to do and factor in older, weaker systems or optimize to take advantage of newer technology, or to remove unnecessary components for security (a web server can't be affected by the JPEG virus if it is a CLI)
more customization choices than putting the start bar on the bottom, left, right or top. Can even totally remove the panel and have everything accessible via right-click (Xfce)
CLI is just as powerful as GUI, so am able to fix things if htey crash if I am left at a command line
features that are "new" in Vista have been around in Linux for a while

SPECIAL : Community!
Get my questions answered
get in touch with people who feel the same way about Linux
sometimes even talk with the actual developer of an application or parts of a distro

Freedome of Choice

ticopelp
November 6th, 2007, 09:47 PM
I do have discussions with pro-Windows people all the time -- they're not "arguments" because I think people should use the tools that work best for them, and no one can (or should) be shamed or browbeaten into using software. But the top three advantages of Ubuntu over Windows, for me, are:

1) The freedom to use my computer the way I wish, without any need for validation or approval from Microsoft or anyone else. This is the main reason I moved away from MS in the first place.

2) OS and lots of software, all available free of charge with no costly updates or repurchasing of software (I won't even talk about how much money I wasted on Norton Antivirus over the years)

3) Security and the lack of viruses / trojans / spyware.

-grubby
November 6th, 2007, 09:52 PM
1: no need for antivirus,antispyware, etc. . .
2: My computer never tells me that I am a criminal (WGA)
3: I don't have to buy a new computer every release

Sp4cedOut
November 6th, 2007, 10:13 PM
Here are more reasons to argue...

1. With the Purchase of a Microsoft Product, you are funding their war *cough* I mean "Business Efforts" and helping a Huge company get bigger and bigger (and people complain they are fat...lol)

2. Windows has been thourgh a lot of changes and the OS is still getting hacked (Dos, 3.1, 95, NT, 98, ME ((worst one)), 2000, XP, Vista)

3. Free on Windows=some kind of catch or pirated software
Free on Linux=Free, no catch or illegal means ever!

1. Every company tries to get bigger and bigger, Microsoft is just exceptionally good at it. I'm not saying they haven't done stuff that crosses the line, but you're fooling yourself if you think Red Hat, Novell, Canocial, Xandros, etc... don't have the same goals. Linux is a product, it has a different business model and a nice community, but the OS itself is still a product designed to make it's owners a profit.

2. I agree

3. There are plenty of open source projects on windows, the majority of sourceforge projects are cross platform or windows specific.

carlosjuero
November 6th, 2007, 10:17 PM
I don't argue it, I just point out the Pluses as well as admitting to the downsides (certain Windows apps don't work with no 'equivalent', many games don't work.. yet, etc). You have to give people both sides of the coin when presenting your case, then they can weigh the pros & cons in their own head.

juxtaposed
November 6th, 2007, 10:18 PM
1. Try both, use whatever you feel like. Just give Linux a fair chance and if it doesn't work for you, fine, don't use it.

hessiess
November 6th, 2007, 11:00 PM
1) no vender lock in.
2) fast
3) 100% costomisable
4) open scorce, and normaly free of charge

gwoodard
November 6th, 2007, 11:58 PM
1. Every company tries to get bigger and bigger, Microsoft is just exceptionally good at it. I'm not saying they haven't done stuff that crosses the line, but you're fooling yourself if you think Red Hat, Novell, Canocial, Xandros, etc... don't have the same goals. Linux is a product, it has a different business model and a nice community, but the OS itself is still a product designed to make it's owners a profit.

But owners don't make a profit or else they would be charging people who use thier products...shareware i can handle, but making a buck (or other currency) off of a distro or kernal (is plain Linux free?) is just like microsoft and apple (note: I don't have a problem with apple, they don't overcharge and only go with one system at a time instead of Micro *cough* sux, i mean soft, putting up different versions of the same OS everytime one comes out...

BTW: Microsoft has just put out (2 months at least) a "program" that calls your MS OS genuine and expect you to pay 150 U.S. Dollars on it...(It may tell you that "You may be a victim of software counterfeiting") The only victims are people who buy that crap...my copy was out of a XP Pro box and is genuine...

aysiu
November 7th, 2007, 12:01 AM
If someone feels passionately enough about Windows to argue for it, it's a waste of time trying to argue her into using Ubuntu instead.

Only those with open minds should come to Ubuntu.

FG123
November 7th, 2007, 12:42 AM
I wouldn't bother.

It's like trying to argue with a Religious fanatic - waste of breath. Like aysiu suggests, they have to be interested in the "other side" by their own will, then we can start talking.

Daveski
November 7th, 2007, 01:51 AM
1 - Give them a LiveCD like Ubuntu (obviously).

2 - Point out that it is their choice to try or install Linux - and that is what Linux is all about: Choice.

3 - Advise that most of the time Linux is simple, but at times Linux will be difficult. The positive is that YOU will be in complete control of your computer and the data stored on it.

dburnett77
November 7th, 2007, 01:57 AM

3: Ubuntu is more stable, you may use your speakers and listen to Windows users hack one another.
2: Microsoft is mad. And they're losing money. Not a good situation.
1: MS is a wink :) at instilling hacks against Ubuntu. And I can throw them easily.

P.S. Run this ASCII script

:::}}[[]^Mm[^ESC^13^m+ALT_(WIn.

thx11381974
November 7th, 2007, 02:21 AM
1. I slip Ruphinol in to their drink. (It helps if it's an alcoholic drink)

2. After taking effect I carry or drag them into my basement. where I secure them to a chair with duct tape.

3. When they wake up I explain the benefits of using Linux over Windows . It's important to keep them on subject If they ask any dumb questions(Who are you? where am I ?) hit them with a stun gun(aka tazer) and tell them to repete a phrase like "Open Source Software is better because _________" You can fill in the blank. You can now move on to teaching them the wonders of using Linux, don't forget to use the tazer if they show any signs of resistance to you or their new OS.

4. Ask them If they are going to switch to Linux.

5. Slap them in the face a little harder than you think you should & say "WHAT DO YOU TAKE ME FOR?" " DO YOU THINK I'M SOME KIND OF IDIOT?" " YOUR NOT FOOLING ANYONE". Yes they were probably honest in their desirer to adopt Linux, But some of these M$ users could win an academy award their acting is so good. So repete steps 3,4,5 several times.

6. After blind folding drive your new Linux convert to a part of town you don't usually frequent. Tell them your going to be watching and they had better be using Linux. Push them out of your vehicle, instruct them not to take off their blind fold until they have counted to 100. At this point you don't have to worry about them cheating, they'll be way to excited about getting home so they start using their new OS!

-grubby
November 7th, 2007, 02:27 AM
1. I slip Ruphinol in to their drink. (It helps if it's an alcoholic drink)

2. After taking effect I carry or drag them into my basement. where I secure them to a chair with duct tape.

3. When they wake up I explain the benefits of using Linux over Windows . It's important to keep them on subject If they ask any dumb questions(Who are you? where am I ?) hit them with a stun gun(aka tazer) and tell them to repete a phrase like "Open Source Software is better because _________" You can fill in the blank. You can now move on to teaching them the wonders of using Linux, don't forget to use the tazer if they show any signs of resistance to you or their new OS.

4. Ask them If they are going to switch to Linux.

5. Slap them in the face a little harder than you think you should & say "WHAT DO YOU TAKE ME FOR?" " DO YOU THINK I'M SOME KIND OF IDIOT?" " YOUR NOT FOOLING ANYONE". Yes they were probably honest in their desirer to adopt Linux, But some of these M$ users could win an academy award their acting is so good. So repete steps 3,4,5 several times.

6. After blind folding drive your new Linux convert to a part of town you don't usually frequent. Tell them your going to be watching and they had better be using Linux. Push them out of your vehicle, instruct them not to take off their blind fold until they have counted to 100. At this point you don't have to worry about them cheating, they'll be way to excited about getting home so they start using their new OS!

:lolflag:

tubasoldier
November 7th, 2007, 02:31 AM
arguing never gets you anywhere.

Linuxratty
November 7th, 2007, 02:46 AM
No limits on installing or the number of computers you can put it on.

It's safe and secure.

No WGA,DRM,etc.

kopinux
November 7th, 2007, 02:56 AM
i try to avoid arguments.

but, if you are in my country, you only need one answer;

you are using a pirated windows.

i win! end of discussion.

you want luxury? pay some. i consider windows as luxury, linux is a necessity.

HermanAB
November 7th, 2007, 03:13 AM
It is pointless arguing with a Windows user. Windows users are the most patient and loyal bunch in the universe. They will put up with *anything*.

gwoodard
November 7th, 2007, 03:17 AM
:::}}[[]^Mm[^ESC^13^m+ALT_(WIn

What is that?

gwoodard
November 7th, 2007, 03:19 AM
It is pointless arguing with a Windows user. Windows users are the most patient and loyal bunch in the universe. They will put up with *anything*.

Unfortunitely, that's similar to "total compliance" or in other words a computer dictatorship...Linux is a rebellion against the Dictatorship while Apple will neither side with Microsoft or Linux (No offense, but that is very similar to Switzerland...)

HermanAB
November 7th, 2007, 04:16 AM
Linux isn't a rebellion.

The GNU system is an educational system for the betterment of mankind.

Most people don't like to be educated and Microsoft gives them what they deserve...

lyndaj70
November 7th, 2007, 04:24 AM
3. Hardware Drivers (newer stuff)+windows=misery of searching,installing, and restarting your computer many times hoping you don't get the wrong driver and have to reinstall windows.

Beg to differ here... some newer hardware can be an absolute BEAR until the initial kinks are worked out!
~Lynda

lyndaj70
November 7th, 2007, 04:28 AM

People change with time, however...

For example, for years my fiancee has tried every conceivable method of trying to get me to "drop" linux because it was "never going anywhere -- Windows is the ONLY OS" -- Now this same man has had me install Ubuntu on a test pc for him cause he detests Vista for multiple reasons... I never thought I would see the day when he would say "I can't wait to play with that {linux} computer... I'm really hoping it works out so that I can tell Microsoft to kiss my a$$!" :lolflag:

lyndaj70
November 7th, 2007, 04:35 AM
Over the years in the debates with my fiancee, I would just equivocate and state that I was "keeping an eye" on various options "just in case" then point out that my kids have yet to crash this operating system (he'd heard my cussing many a time over having to wipe/reinstall after letting the kids play a simple stupid game), and when he couldn't convert an audio or video file without spending a fortune on software, I would cheerfully volunteer, and let him know that I did it in Linux, for FREE -- and whenever he complained about how much the latest Windows upgrade cost would say too bad it's not free like Linux lol!

No guarantees, but it seems to be working with him anyway -- and he swore after the last time I talked him into playing on my computer that he "hated it" :lolflag:

Sp4cedOut
November 7th, 2007, 05:05 AM
But owners don't make a profit or else they would be charging people who use thier products...shareware i can handle, but making a buck (or other currency) off of a distro or kernal (is plain Linux free?) is just like microsoft and apple (note: I don't have a problem with apple, they don't overcharge and only go with one system at a time instead of Micro *cough* sux, i mean soft, putting up different versions of the same OS everytime one comes out...

BTW: Microsoft has just put out (2 months at least) a "program" that calls your MS OS genuine and expect you to pay 150 U.S. Dollars on it...(It may tell you that "You may be a victim of software counterfeiting") The only victims are people who buy that crap...my copy was out of a XP Pro box and is genuine...

They do make a profit, just not by directly selling their software. Cannocial wouldn't be spending millions of Ubuntu unless they thought they could make it back.

Sn3ipen
November 7th, 2007, 05:56 AM
Th e main reason for me to switch to Ubuntu was because i was trying Vista and i hated it! It simply wont allow me to do annything the way i wanted and it was for sure laging alot. I was thinking about switching back to XP, but then again it will for sure be outdated very soon. So i just installed the Ubuntu Live CD and fell in love emidiatly. Vista is definately not for humanbeeings like Ubuntu! IMHO

1. It will stay up to date for free.
2. Security and stability.
3. You have nothing to lose.

HermanAB
November 7th, 2007, 06:07 AM
Lynda: "spending a fortune on software"

You should insist that he spends an equal amount on you each time he does that...
;)

Massive Brain
November 7th, 2007, 08:44 AM
Great, a troll education thread :roll:

runningwithscissors
November 7th, 2007, 08:48 AM
Ooh.. another new user on the path to ubuntu zealotry.

beercz
November 7th, 2007, 11:18 AM
I would show him/her this:

http://www.whylinuxisbetter.net/

Humph
November 7th, 2007, 11:33 AM
I won't even talk about how much money I wasted on Norton Antivirus over the years

I have lost count of the number of Windows systems I have had to fix because they were "protected" by Norton products.

Sadly because the Norton name is splashed all over the media your average punter is labouring under the impression that X is a quality product. A product so good that free products such as AVG, Ad-Aware and Spybot - Search & Destroy out-perform them. Heck even Windows Defender does a better job!

One of my clients has Norton Antivirus Enterprise Edition, which maintained that there were no viruses on their network, despite viruses appearing in outgoing emails. A sweep with AVG found an average of 5 viruses per workstation. Even this was not enough to convince the management to change their AV provider, as they had not heard of AVG.

Anyway, my three reasons:

1) Because I can. I chose to move to Ubuntu because I didn't like the way Windows was going. Software as a Service? No thank you. One of the most difficult things to get across to clients is that they don't actually own their operating system. They have merely purchased a license to use it. Add in all the DRM nonsense and it is, for me at least, a compelling argument for seeking an alternative.

2) Performance. My computer runs faster using Ubuntu than it did with XP. I would imagine much of this is due to the lack of anti-virus/anti-spyware. And I'm pretty sure this same hardware will still be able to run Ubuntu without any trouble in another 5 years' time. I'm uninterested in eyecandy. Quite how anything that consumes unnecessary resources is a Good Thing is beyond me.

3) Synaptic Package Manager. If I see someone singing the praises of a software package that sounds interesting, 9 times out of 10 I can search for and find it in Synaptic. No hassle trying to find the correct download site, no worries about if it's riddled with viruses/malware. Two mouse clicks later and it is installing. If I don't like it I can uninstall it with the same ease. No bloated, longwinded, self-important installers, no multiple restarts, no fuss, no drama.

I cannot argue for or against stability as XP on this system never (and I do mean never) blue screened on me. Maybe I had a magic license key?

(Apologies for length!)

Nyct
November 7th, 2007, 04:36 PM
Okay, firstly....THANKS for the fast, and informative responses!

Not even 24 hours old, and theres already 6 pages :)

My original post was perhaps phrased wrongly.... I should have used 'convince' rather than 'argue' I guess.

These replies have reinforced why I use Ubuntu, and loving it. Sure, its not perfect, but its good enough.

And damn fast too :D

Dimitriid
November 7th, 2007, 04:49 PM
1) Microsoft will always seek to limit you as a user and to make you pay through your nose, they will never care about you or what you need, they care about your money, and they lend more and more towards being a mafia organization who bullies you to take your money, illegally in many cases.

2) Your windows world wouldn't be possible without Linux and other flavors of Unix: unless you'd like to do without a very good chunk of all servers and workstations and see an end to much of the infrastructure that makes the internet and IT in general possible. That tells you how much people who truly know about computers and systems, people who make it possible for YOU to be able to function, even people IN microsoft, trust their product: many rather use something else for time critical tasks.

3) I do not depend on any particular application as a professional to do my job, which is making sure you can use your windows machine. I am paid to solve most pc problems and determine hardware failure at all times, even when ( notice that I dont say if ) our windows based system fails and you have no more tools than your voice and your memory to guide you through all the configuration options, figure out the problems you might have, etc.

Why do you most use photoshop to do your work? Does your creativity goes away without it? Are you happy being constantly chained to Adobe? Do you call yourself a designer and you cannot design without a particular piece of software? I call you a software specialist, a consumerist You petit-bourgeoisie drone, incapable of artistic work.

Sunnz
November 7th, 2007, 05:33 PM
I don't argue with Windows user, in real life I usually try to "enlighten" them.

"What Anti-virus do you use?"

"I don't use anti-virus."

*confused*

"I don't run Windows."

"What do you use then?"

"Unix stuff, Linux, Mac, BSD, etc..."

"Ohhh..."

*hands over an Ubuntu CD, if I have one.*

n3tfury
November 7th, 2007, 11:56 PM
Yeah, any kernel update would need a reboot. Hard to swap out the running kernel. But lots of things like network settings and driver installs and what not can be done without reboots, its just easier a lot of times to reboot when the machine doesn't need to stay up 100% of the time.

PS, where in upstate are you?

Albany :)

gwoodard
November 8th, 2007, 12:12 AM
here's another reason...I got sick of using software or having software that I didn't need or want, but the stuff I want or need, I need to install or download (of course this is windows I am talking about...) With windows default you get only a couple of good programs...(minesweeper, and for 2000 and Up, pinball)
but the other programs I didn't need or want and I can't uninstall them! ](*,)

Now with Ubuntu, You have more screensavers than Windows, no viruses, spyware, adware (who wants popups?) and the others. the eyecandy is better, With Vista, Microsux tells you you can "run" it with 512 mb but you really need 1 GB or more to have it run smoothly; Ubuntu really needs only 256 mb and it does pretty well and support for windows? don't joke with me...Ubuntu Support?:)

Sunnz
November 8th, 2007, 04:54 AM
Yeah, any kernel update would need a reboot. Hard to swap out the running kernel.?

Well the kernel of an OS is like the engine of a car... can't really just swap it out if the car it running! :KS

But you don't need to update the kernel, sure, it would have security updates and stuff, but some large server goes on for years without a reboot, for the home user it is not going to do any harm to not update your kernel.

Frak
November 8th, 2007, 04:58 AM
0. Prove to me MS isn't spying on you (Source is closed)

1. Ballmer looks like a monkey

2. Why did MS have to shut down FreeBSOD, what's with you guys

;)

lyndaj70
November 8th, 2007, 05:35 AM
Lynda: "spending a fortune on software"

You should insist that he spends an equal amount on you each time he does that...
;)

My time will come :twisted:

thx11381974
November 8th, 2007, 07:37 PM
0. Prove to me MS isn't spying on you (Source is closed)

Well Microsoft's your friend and friends look after each other. Golly I think "Spy" is such a harsh term, Their probably just looking into your privet activities so they can sell ya things you need anyhow.Really it's for your own good you shouldn't be so sensitive.