PDA

View Full Version : Audacious 1.4 repository GUTSY

Kosimo
November 6th, 2007, 03:44 PM
Did you guys give it a try to the latest audacious 1.4?

We have already official repositories for Gutsy:

Just add this one:
deb http://backports.dereferenced.org/ gutsy universe

If you already have some previuos version, you should uninstall it first.

New skins included:

http://kosimo.googlepages.com/audacious1.4.png

Finally, I'm having something really similar to what I had in windows. My lovely Winamp. Similar appearance & similar functionalities.

Enjoy

Major_Kong
November 19th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Works great so far.

kodak
November 19th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Does Audacious work in Gnome?

Forget that question

i just seen your side panel/

btw Audacious is a very slick modern player, and uses mush less resource than XmmS

Onyros
November 19th, 2007, 07:31 PM
Does Audacious work in Gnome?

Forget that question

i just seen your side panel/

btw Audacious is a very slick modern player, and uses mush less resource than XmmSNot so, not so... ;)

XMMS uses less than half of the resources Audacious uses.

ariel
November 21st, 2007, 09:39 PM
1.4.2 has been released upstream

DrMega
November 21st, 2007, 09:44 PM
How do I add the repository? I saw the line to add but not sure where to put it.

smartboyathome
November 21st, 2007, 09:48 PM
Open up software sources (in System > Administration), and create a new entry in the Third Party Repositories tab. Put the line in the dialog box that pops up asking you the address of the repo.

Incense
November 21st, 2007, 09:55 PM
Not so, not so... ;)

It is still much less then Amarok or Banshee. Audacious is a great music player! I'm running 1.4 on openSUSE right now in fact!

DrMega
November 21st, 2007, 11:09 PM
Open up software sources (in System > Administration), and create a new entry in the Third Party Repositories tab. Put the line in the dialog box that pops up asking you the address of the repo.

Thanks. Got it running now. It is a nice audio player.

mthei
November 22nd, 2007, 02:33 AM
Not so, not so... ;)

While you're correct, is XMMS still better? I know it's no longer actively developed, but does that mean there may be some security flaws in it that are not being corrected?

Both are probably the best sounding players for Linux, as well as MPD, of course, but what makes me chose Audacious over the other two mentioned is the fact that Audacious uses Gnome's file browser for opening windows, and will not send files that start with A or B, for example, to the bottom of the list because they may not be capitalised.

Incense
November 22nd, 2007, 04:14 AM
While you're correct, is XMMS still better? I know it's no longer actively developed, but does that mean there may be some security flaws in it that are not being corrected?

Both are probably the best sounding players for Linux, as well as MPD, of course, but what makes me chose Audacious over the other two mentioned is the fact that Audacious uses Gnome's file browser for opening windows, and will not send files that start with A or B, for example, to the bottom of the list because they may not be capitalised.

Actually the XMMS guys just released 1.2.11 on the 16th of this month. 1211 days since the last release. Guess XMMS isn't quite dead yet.

Onyros
November 22nd, 2007, 12:45 PM
Naa, I wasn't stating XMMS was better in any way other than memory usage ;)

Even so, I still use it, instead of Audacious. GTK1 doesn't bother me that much, same goes for a few playlist quirks; I just don't use Audacious because I prefer XMMS' equalizer implementation, that's just it.

And don't get me started on the whole equalizer usage stuff, or I'll have to redirect you to Rhythmbox's developers discussion regarding just that. :P

Only app I miss from Windows, runs on Wine but stutters with CPU usage... foobar2000. Unfortunately, there's no Linux port on the horizon, but that was THE audio player.

Regarding the new XMMS release: did those guys get bitter or what? Guess that being dropped from Gentoo and even being considered for the same in Debian (of all distros!), makes people that way, huh?

mthei
November 23rd, 2007, 04:43 AM
Actually the XMMS guys just released 1.2.11 on the 16th of this month. 1211 days since the last release. Guess XMMS isn't quite dead yet.

How unexpected. I'll be sure to give it a try.

nenolod
November 23rd, 2007, 08:38 AM
XMMS 1.2.11 will never enter Ubuntu because it's imported from Debian and the Debian maintainer has filed a remove request, not an Orphan request.

He has a goal of removing GTK1 from Debian entirely, of which XMMS packages are a sizeable chunk.

As for my backport, 1.4.2 is building (built on amd64). I've been busy with other things, including rescuing various packages which have both xmms and audacious flavors from being killed along with XMMS.

nenolod
November 23rd, 2007, 02:15 PM
Audacious 1.4.2 built on all architectures supported by backports.dereferenced.org.

Additionally, I have built an updated audacious-crossfade package too.

limaunion
November 26th, 2007, 01:10 AM
Thanks for this backport!

MeduZa
December 24th, 2007, 06:43 AM
I love audaciuos, XMMS crash a lot on my pc, I don't know why, Audacious is perfect, I control it whit the logitech's keyboad multimedia keys, interact whit pidgin and with lcd4linux, and the system tray feature is greath! the sound is cristal quality, I upgrade to 1.4.x few minutes ago :guitar:

Kosimo
December 24th, 2007, 08:27 AM
I love my audacious with Winamp skin ;)

http://kosimo.googlepages.com/audacious1.4winampskin.png

meho_r
December 26th, 2007, 09:36 PM
Audacious 1.4.4. is out. Update?

whitethorn
January 2nd, 2008, 03:02 AM
Hi, I removed the old version of audacious 1.3.3 I think and added the repository, I removed the old version before I installed the new version but now I get some really wierd mistakes. Seems a bunch of the plugins don't load. I was hoping to get the global shortcuts working...

neway here's the code I get when I start audacious in the terminal

Failed to load plugin (/usr/lib/audacious/Input/libmplayer.so): /usr/lib/audacious/Input/libmplayer.so: undefined symbol: ctrlsocket_get_session_id
Failed to load plugin (/usr/lib/audacious/Input/libcube.so): /usr/lib/audacious/Input/libcube.so: undefined symbol: xmms_usleep
Failed to load plugin (/usr/lib/audacious/General/libnotify.so): /usr/lib/audacious/General/libnotify.so: undefined symbol: ip_data
Failed to load plugin (/usr/lib/audacious/Visualization/libiris.so): /usr/lib/audacious/Visualization/libiris.so: undefined symbol: xmms_usleep
amidi-plug(amidi-plug.c:amidiplug_init:97): init, read configuration
amidi-plug(i_backend.c:i_backend_load:107): loading backend '/usr/lib/audacious/Input/amidi-plug/ap-alsa.so'
amidi-plug(i_backend.c:i_backend_load:145): backend /usr/lib/audacious/Input/amidi-plug/ap-alsa.so (name 'alsa') successfully loaded

I still kinda new to ubuntu, so some help would be great

mmxbass
January 15th, 2008, 05:04 AM
Yea we could really use the 1.4.3 plugins and 1.4.4 audacious.

mustang
January 15th, 2008, 06:40 AM
It didn't render my winamp 2.1 skin too well (a black bar through the bitrate and sampling frequency).

Oh well, back to 1.3.2. Thanks anyways though :)

chocolatetoothpaste
January 15th, 2008, 07:19 PM
It didn't render my winamp 2.1 skin too well (a black bar through the bitrate and sampling frequency).

Oh well, back to 1.3.2. Thanks anyways though :)
I have a similar problem. When I click on winamp skins to load them, the skin never changes and some random black strips show up over the previous skin. I'm running openbox 3.4

SoulSmasher
February 2nd, 2008, 01:21 AM
worked just fine, thanks :)

SoulSmasher
March 1st, 2008, 02:01 AM
by the way, will this source be updated for 1.4.6 ?? it's still 1.4.3 inside

andrew.46
March 5th, 2008, 04:35 AM
Hi,

Actually I am still on the older version,

Did you guys give it a try to the latest audacious 1.4?

But where can I get a copy of your amazing wallpaper?

Andrew

andrewabc
March 6th, 2008, 02:42 AM
Hi,
Actually I am still on the older version,

But where can I get a copy of your amazing wallpaper?

Andrew

The mountain wallpaper can be found at
http://interfacelift.com/
along with lots of other good wallpapers.

bsmith1051
March 14th, 2008, 07:41 PM
How about a 1.5.0 release? It just came out yesterday,
http://audacious-media-player.org/