PDA

View Full Version : What's new with µbuntu?

bduvall3
November 6th, 2007, 01:50 PM
I would love to put a version of ubuntu on my iPAQ rx3115. I ran across the µbuntu wiki and noticed that it doesn't seem to have any recent info. Any word on a solid Linux distro for my iPAQ?:confused:

klange
November 6th, 2007, 02:55 PM
I have Opie running my rx3715 (same model as yours only with a camera and more extra features)
It's not as good as I'd like, but it's recent. It was a pain to get everything running. I can send you the file for it. There are supposedly ways to get things like WiFi and bluetooth working on the rx3000 series devices, I'll let you know what I find.
It doesn't seem anything has been done for this nanobuntu project for a very long time. I'd like to try and get something going with that, if only I had the time...

edit: Opie (http://opie.handhelds.org/cgi-bin/moin.cgi/)

bluedragon436
November 6th, 2007, 03:01 PM
Alright so I am just curious as to how you go about installing any version of Ubuntu onto an iPaq??? I have an iPaq and have wanted to try Ubuntu on it to see how it runs....any help with this would be greatly appreciated...

klange
November 6th, 2007, 03:09 PM
Well, it just wouldn't be possible to get things like Gnome and all the other apps running on an a 200mhz processor, but projects like Opie have an entire linux kernel cross-compiled for the ARM processor, as well as X and a full window manager, plus various other little programs.
Ubuntu takes far more processing power, so it would be best to just mimic the features along side the look and feel in a modified Opie or GPE (GPE hasn't been updated for a long time, but Opie just got a new stable release about 3 months ago)
From there, you could get cross-compile Mozilla Minimo (for a more Firefox-like experience on the web), make themes for Opie to match Ubuntu's human theme, try and cross-compile Pidgin (you'd need to get the GTK+ widget framework running first, for that you can look at GPE, as that was the primary function of it)

The last resort option is that you can indeed run an x86 emulator that runs Ubuntu, but it would be slow and could possibly just not work. Plus you'd still be using Windows Mobile...

cyberbob86
February 24th, 2008, 08:13 PM
I have Opie running my rx3715 (same model as yours only with a camera and more extra features)
It's not as good as I'd like, but it's recent. It was a pain to get everything running. I can send you the file for it. There are supposedly ways to get things like WiFi and bluetooth working on the rx3000 series devices, I'll let you know what I find.
It doesn't seem anything has been done for this nanobuntu project for a very long time. I'd like to try and get something going with that, if only I had the time...

edit: Opie (http://opie.handhelds.org/cgi-bin/moin.cgi/)

hi, i have an ipaq rx3715! how can I install opie on it?! is there a wiki or how to?! :confused:

thank you very much! :)

cyb3rb0b