PDA

View Full Version : e-Commerce OpenSource

Zhukov
November 6th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Hi there!

Im organizing an event about e-Commerce in Coimbra, Portugal, and I would like to have a talk related to OpenSource, but sincerly I cannot see how I merge them...

Any suggestions or someone that would like to make a speech/sponsor are very much welcome!

Best Regards!

az
November 6th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Hi there!

Im organizing an event about e-Commerce in Coimbra, Portugal, and I would like to have a talk related to OpenSource, but sincerly I cannot see how I merge them...

Just about every e-commerce site I know depends heavily on FLOSS. Ebay, amazon.com, yahoo, google, all use free and open source software. In fact, if they used proprietary software, they wouldn't be able to be in business. Can you imagine how expensive it would be to not be able to develop your own code to accomplish your tasks? Can you image how slowly your business would take to improve?

Free and open source software powers e-commerce. You don't need to buy your infrastructure, you can just use free and open tools to be able to compete with any other world-class e-commerce company out there.

Can you elaborate your thought? I don't know where to start. What exactly do you mean by merge them? Do you mean the relationship between FLOSS and e-commerce?

samb0057
November 6th, 2007, 10:14 PM
Look up OSCommerce, Zen Cart, and CubeCart, all 3 are very widely used for small online stores.

Zhukov
November 7th, 2007, 03:36 AM
Hi there! First of all, thanks for the replies.

Yes az, I meant a relashionship between FLOSS and e-Commerce, something we could get a speaker to talk about. We really apretiated the things you pointed out.

As we are making this event all around e-Commerce we dont want to leave the Open Source Community outside.

Any further suggestions are most welcome.

az
November 7th, 2007, 01:39 PM
You should read up on how Mark Shuttleworth made his fortune. In a nutshell, he had a great idea and found that using free software would allow him to implement his idea and compete with other world-class companies. He sold his company (Thawte) for a few hundred million a few years later.

Thawte is in the business of selling cryptography and security certificates.