PDA

View Full Version : opensuse 10.3 vs pclinuxos 2007

Istonian
November 6th, 2007, 03:58 AM
Which one do you think is better. I am considering which one to use for my other partition. I have pclinuxos right now amd I am impressed, but I am curious to see what suse has to offer.

RebounD11
November 6th, 2007, 06:17 AM
I liked openSuSE better. But it's a matter of peronal opinion... I think it's more up-to-date, and has better hardware support. Besides I didn't use PCLinuxOS that much :D

Incense
November 6th, 2007, 07:02 AM
I think the two are aimed at different markets. I would take SUSE over PCLOS personally, but they are both nice distros. If you do have a go at openSUSE then you would probally like the SMART package manager more then yast. It feels a bit more like synaptic.

http://dev-loki.blogspot.com/2007/10/smart-on-opensuse-103.html

SUSE does not come with codecs out of the box either, so you'd want to use the one click install from here.

http://opensuse-community.org/Restricted_Formats/10.3

Give it a try, maybe you'll like it.

Istonian
November 6th, 2007, 01:17 PM
I am not worried about the codecs and such, mainly I am looking at what has better hardware support, better repos, and that kind of stuff.

RebounD11
November 6th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Hardware support and support in general is better in openSuSE, but Yast is so slow with software installations that's it's nerve-wrecking sometimes :D

Wiebelhaus
November 6th, 2007, 01:52 PM
OPENSuse package manager sucks , I hate it. YAST is asinine , I'd vote PCLOS here.

Antman
November 6th, 2007, 01:54 PM
I didn't have much luck with PCLinuxOS on my laptop hardware, so I just left it alone. Whereas OpenSuse just works (at least on my hardware)
So, one of my laptop distros is Opensuse, but with KDE. The Gnome version and I didn't get along well...:lolflag:

Yast is slower then others, but it is also more than just a package manager. If you are looking for a GUI complete system, my vote is for Opensuse w/KDE.

Now if you want FAST and bleeding edge, that is another choice all together...... (sidux)........;)

Istonian
November 6th, 2007, 10:03 PM
Thanks for all of your help. I am looking for a stable OS. No bleeding edge.

Incense
November 6th, 2007, 11:01 PM
Thanks for all of your help. I am looking for a stable OS. No bleeding edge.

Stability is one of the reasons I run openSUSE. I need an OS to get work done on, and OpenSUSE does that for me. They have a live CD now, so you can try and test it out, with out any real commitment. The SUSE repos have always been pretty good. Installing a package in yast will take a while, but it's really not as bad as people make it out to be. It's much better in this release then it has been in the past.

screaminj3sus
November 6th, 2007, 11:12 PM
if you haven't used 10.3 the package manager is WAY faster than it was in 10.2

sophtpaw
November 23rd, 2007, 03:37 PM
I thought everyone was boycotting Novel?

Antman
November 23rd, 2007, 05:34 PM

Nope... some people are... not all. ;)

RebounD11
November 23rd, 2007, 08:23 PM
What has Novell done that's so wrong... They just released probably the best working distro so far, and keep introducing new exciting stuff to the Linux and Open Source world.

If you're talking about the Novell-Microsoft "pact", it might bring more good than the "evil" some might think.

Incense
November 23rd, 2007, 10:22 PM

I love novels! Why are we against reading now? ;)

There are A LOT of linux apps that you will not be using as part of the boycott. Novell has their hands in a bunch of projects. See below for a complete list.

http://en.opensuse.org/Novell_Supported_Projects

FROM

http://en.opensuse.org/FAQ:Novell-MS

Novell has also created or is among the top sponsors of projects such as the Linux Kernel, GCC, OpenOffice.org, KDE, GNOME, Tomboy, F-Spot, Banshee, Beagle, (K)NetworkManager, Kickoff, Evolution, XEN, Xgl, and Compiz etc. Are you refusing to use any of those as well? Since they all have substantial amounts of Novell code.

I don't have a problem with the deal. As far as I can tell, it has not hurt linux one bit. Some folks really disagree though, and that's cool too. You can click to link below to read their side of the Microvell deal. (as they call it.)

http://boycottnovell.com/

Cheers!

jmedina
November 26th, 2007, 03:48 AM
I like opensuse better than pclinuxos. I tried the Live CD once and I found it is probably the best Distro for a beginner. It has a really easy to use control center. I like Novell. But, I'm sad their teaming up with Microsoft.

Vince4Amy
November 28th, 2007, 11:01 AM
I felt that PcLinuxOS was very unstable and if I wanted to run it I would have used Mandriva. It's update system could never automatically resume without restarting from scratch in some cases the day I was changing my network. The ATI Driver didn't want to work at all on PcLinuxOS, however it worked fine on Mandriva. I feel that the Novell/Microsoft deal could only bring good things to the Linux community, I don't really have anything against this as it could open up some doors.

madgenius
March 19th, 2008, 07:28 AM
I started using Linux with SuSE 9.1 - and haven't changed since. If you like a stable OS with good support, go for it.

YaST maybe slower than Synaptic, but it does much more than just package management. The best solution for a control freak like me.

The speed issue is no longer there - 10.3 is much faster, and things will get better with 11.

This is what the future looks like (zypper is the back-end for package management that YaST uses)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XB3o4Skka5Q

MONODA
March 20th, 2008, 10:16 AM
I say OpenSuSE pcols did not work well on my hardware. but my one complaint is OpenSuSE's package manager. Its not that bad but I cant get it to check for updates :'(. Also my sound is kind of messed up. it sounds like the gain is turned all the way up and I cant use an equalizer

RebounD11
March 20th, 2008, 12:06 PM
I say OpenSuSE pcols did not work well on my hardware. but my one complaint is OpenSuSE's package manager. Its not that bad but I cant get it to check for updates :'(. Also my sound is kind of messed up. it sounds like the gain is turned all the way up and I cant use an equalizer

I had the same problem... don't go above 90% on any volume in the volume control panel... it will sound distorted.

MONODA
March 20th, 2008, 12:41 PM
I had the same problem... don't go above 90% on any volume in the volume control panel... it will sound distorted.
i just realized it is not an OpenSuSE problem, it is Amarok's, try banshee or something else and youll see. BTW I just removed OpenSuSE. I was going crazy! too many problems with konquerer, it is slow, slow package management drove me insane since my internet connections sucks! when installing packages down speed would get slower untill it hit 1 byte per second and then it would time out. I vote neither! PCLOS asks you to connect to the internet to get a driver for your ethernet and wireless...(vista all over again...)

jonmcc33
March 29th, 2008, 03:35 AM
I first tried Fedora Core 8 after seeing some Linux guru at work trying it out. Wasn't too pleased, couldn't get it working with my wireless network at all. I then tried Solaris 10 since I had previous experience with it in the military, not for normal every day use I'm affraid.

Then I gave PCLinuxOS 2007 a try and was pleased that it worked from the start but I messed it up far too many times when installing packages and whatnot. I then went to Ubuntu 7.10, didn't like Gnome so went to Kubuntu 7.10. Kubuntu was great but had issues powering down or restarting on my Dell D400 laptop. Also could never get updates to work, they'd always crash at some point randomly.

Then I gave OpenSUSE 10.3 a try. I have found "the one". Completely pleased with it. Works from the start, very nice layout, updates work perfectly and there's plenty of support in the official Wiki. No matter what I've tried I couldn't get it to break either.

Windows Vista for gaming for me and OpenSUSE for everything else!

mmmkile
June 8th, 2008, 11:19 PM
Isn't this place for ubuntu?

67GTA
June 9th, 2008, 02:23 AM
Isn't this place for ubuntu?

This is the Ubuntu forums, but this is posted in the "Other OS Talk" section under "openSUSE". There are also sections for Arch, Mandriva, Mac, BSD, Debian, Slackware, Gentoo, Fedora, and even Windows.