PDA

View Full Version : Cant resize ubuntu partition...

xequence
August 27th, 2005, 11:28 PM
I realised I gave ubuntu more space then it needed (16 GB vs windows' 3 GB) and I wanted to resize the partition. It is ext3... I went into the ubuntu installer and went until the partition part. I tried to resize it but clicking on the resize part gave me a red screen that said it could not resize the partition. It said "Because of an unknown reason it is imposible to resize this partition".

I want to give each OS half and half... I decided to use XP pro for all my music stuff such as Limewire, Bittorent, iTunes (not the store, the player, and after I finally get the stupid driver to work... They only have windows 2000 drivers on my computer makers site! The win 2000 ethernet and video drivers worked... Just whenever I start up my computer in windows I have a random chance of accually getting in to it or getting a blue screen with text for half a second then restarting...), and transfering the stuff to my mp3 player as sony only works on windows.

EDIT: Oh, and I cant use gparted in ubuntu as it says the drive is mounted, which it is, how else can I get into ubuntu? :P Also the Qparted in the mepis live cd doesent show an option to resize it, but it does for the windows partition...

Wolki
August 28th, 2005, 01:11 AM
I have a similar problem, have one big partition with Ubuntu and a smaller one for swap. Can't resize the big one for some reason, ideas would be appreciated.

That said, I think this question should be asked in one of the support forums instead of Community Chat. Sure, more people will see it here; but if everyone did that this forum would be completely unreadable. Not that I'm a moderator, just my humble opinion.

arnieboy
August 28th, 2005, 05:59 AM
I realised I gave ubuntu more space then it needed (16 GB vs windows' 3 GB) and I wanted to resize the partition. It is ext3... I went into the ubuntu installer and went until the partition part. I tried to resize it but clicking on the resize part gave me a red screen that said it could not resize the partition. It said "Because of an unknown reason it is imposible to resize this partition".

I want to give each OS half and half... I decided to use XP pro for all my music stuff such as Limewire, Bittorent, iTunes (not the store, the player, and after I finally get the stupid driver to work... They only have windows 2000 drivers on my computer makers site! The win 2000 ethernet and video drivers worked... Just whenever I start up my computer in windows I have a random chance of accually getting in to it or getting a blue screen with text for half a second then restarting...), and transfering the stuff to my mp3 player as sony only works on windows.

EDIT: Oh, and I cant use gparted in ubuntu as it says the drive is mounted, which it is, how else can I get into ubuntu? :P Also the Qparted in the mepis live cd doesent show an option to resize it, but it does for the windows partition...
try the qtparted app on KNOPPIX. works just fine. if u cant resize the ext3 partition directly try converting it into a ext2 partition since ext3 is just ext2 + a journal.

Assuming you have a *cleanly unmounted* ext3 partition (run fsck -f on it to be sure); you can safely:

1) erase the journal (i.e. convert to ext2)
tune2fs -o ^has_journal <your partition>

2) resize it as an ext2 partition

3) recreate the journal
tunes2fs -j <your partition>

xequence
August 29th, 2005, 06:42 PM
try the qtparted app on KNOPPIX. works just fine. if u cant resize the ext3 partition directly try converting it into a ext2 partition since ext3 is just ext2 + a journal.

Assuming you have a *cleanly unmounted* ext3 partition (run fsck -f on it to be sure); you can safely:

1) erase the journal (i.e. convert to ext2)
tune2fs -o ^has_journal <your partition>

2) resize it as an ext2 partition

3) recreate the journal
tunes2fs -j <your partition>

WARNING!!! Running e2fsck on a mounted filesystem may cause
SEVERE filesystem damage.
WHat does the journal do?

arnieboy
August 29th, 2005, 06:54 PM
WARNING!!! Running e2fsck on a mounted filesystem may cause
SEVERE filesystem damage.
WHat does the journal do?
Journaling results in massively reduced time spent recovering a filesystem after a crash, and is therefore in high demand in environments where high availability is important, not only to improve recovery times on single machines but also to allow a crashed machine's filesystem to be recovered on another machine when we have a cluster of nodes with a shared disk.
MAKE SURE U HAVE UNMOUNTED the root partition before u try resizing it.