PDA

View Full Version : UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME error on migrated Win XP vdi

jsbach1812
November 6th, 2007, 01:49 AM
I have a WinXP vdi image that is running fine under one machine running 1.5.0 OSE and 7.10. I migrated that vdi file to another machine (also 7.10) and created a new VM under a new install of 1.5.2. I get the Windows splash screen and then the BSOD UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME. RTM and posted on the Virtualbox board but I'm coming up empty.

Has anyone had any experience with something like this?

Thanks

kast
November 6th, 2007, 02:12 AM
I have with XP Pc's but not in a Virtual PC, the fix i used at work would be to boot to the XP cd select recovery console select the C: drive and run a fixboot, and then a fixmbr

jsbach1812
November 7th, 2007, 05:02 AM
That was a good idea. The cd did boot and I got past the first screen but after I picked R for repair my system slowed down to a crawl and didn't recover. Another thing I noticed was the permissions for the file I transfered over had the owner set to "nobody". Once I changed that VB would boot past the splash screen and into the Welcome screen but then everything would slow down again. I'm going to try to create a fresh image and see if I get the same problems. Could be a unique bug.

kast
November 7th, 2007, 05:14 AM
You want to pick the recovery console, not the repair, not sure if you did, but it sounds like your starting from scratch let me know how that goes :)

jsbach1812
November 11th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Figured out the machine lag issue. I had a memory stick go bad so the VM was attempting to access more memory than available. Everything runs fine now.

Lessons learned:
Check permissions to correct the Unmountable volume error
Insure that the VM is not attempting to use more than the available memory

dubcat
February 17th, 2008, 12:16 AM
Thanks for this - i had the same problem as you. I checked permissions and sure enough the virtual disk was read only. I did a chmod u+w <disk image name> and things started to work just great :)

Cheers,
Dub