PDA

View Full Version : Developers needed for new Linux distribution!

master_kernel
November 6th, 2007, 01:10 AM
Note that this project will either be created from scratch or based on a heavily modified Ubuntu, and that we are looking for active developers willing to help out..

Here, we are striving for a Linux distro that can be as perfect as possible. We want to include enough applications to choose from so that you can either select many of them for a nice desktop, only certain ones for a work one, or just a very basic selection for servers. It should also be easy to use with a lot of documentation, but not sacrifice power and strength at the terminal. It should accomplish what many others have failed at. We should look at the negative reviews of others and fix them in ours. The project is in need of:

* Developers
* Assemblers
* Image Creators
* Or any other way you can help out

If you can help, head over to http://desktop-linux.org/forum/ and sign up.

We hope you join us!

master_kernel
November 6th, 2007, 09:26 PM
2 more have joined so far, we need many more!

meborc
November 6th, 2007, 09:42 PM
can you maybe be more clear on how exactly will this new distribution differ from ubuntu... or from any other distro created so far?

wouldn't it be more feasible to make existing distros better than to start a new one from scratch?

what will the ideology be behind the new distro and what will define it?

sorry :) didn't meant to sound so pessimistic... i just wonder, if there are so many flavours, will this hard work pay out? what are your goals?

/me is just curious

(this just sounds so much like ubuntu ultimate)

aysiu
November 6th, 2007, 10:15 PM
wouldn't it be more feasible to make existing distros better than to start a new one from scratch? Well, the original post said it might be based on Ubuntu. If that's the case, it is making an existing distro better. Even if it were started from scratch, most of its components would be already-existing software (the Linux kernel, the included programs, probably even a lot of the icons and themes).

In the open source world, "from scratch" never means completely from scratch.

DoctorMO
November 6th, 2007, 10:22 PM
still there are no goals other than "works nice" and I could do with some developers for ubuntu projects.

thx11381974
November 7th, 2007, 12:00 AM
Have you explored all of the hundreds of other distributions out there?
Maybe one already exist that dose what you want, it seems just about all are already trying to do what your proposing.

aysiu
November 7th, 2007, 12:04 AM
Well, sure most distributions try to be "as perfect as possible."

It's the definition of "perfect" that differs from distro to distro.

Make whatever distro you want. Let the public decide which it likes best.

blithen
November 7th, 2007, 12:10 AM
I'll be a tester. I have no knowledge of developing anything really. I've made a few simple python scripts. Like I said I can be a tester, find all the little bugs.

urukrama
November 7th, 2007, 12:37 AM
From the website you linked to above:

Our Linux project aims to fix all the problems of other distributions and still be a powerful Linux. Our main focus will be on installation. We will include a large array of applications and environments for you to choose from. You can make certain selections for servers, work, or desktops. You can also choose as much or as little eye candy as possible. We will try to make one that can do all really well. Looking at the mistakes of other distributions, we hope to fix them in ours, while putting in pieces of the best of other distributions.

I don't want to sound too pessimistic, but I, and most users I suppose, don't really care that much about installation (as opposed to actually using the OS). If all goes well, installation only takes anything from 20 minutes to a few hours, but I spend way more time using the OS.

I don't see that as enough reason to start something new. And, in a way, you can do what you want to achieve already with Ubuntu: either install the full desktop (you can choose from 3 desktop environments, and now a window manager, fluxbox, as well), or if you don't want that you do a server install and choose then what to add. The various metapackages make it very easy to install a load of stuff at once.

You might have to be a lot more specific if you want to attract some very experienced developpers.

Why do you not get involved with Ubuntu and try to make it better?

bruce89
November 7th, 2007, 12:43 AM
Here, we are striving for a Linux distro that can be as perfect as possible. We want to include enough applications to choose from so that you can either select many of them for a nice desktop, only certain ones for a work one, or just a very basic selection for servers. It should also be easy to use with a lot of documentation, but not sacrifice power and strength at the terminal. It should accomplish what many others have failed at. We should look at the negative reviews of others and fix them in ours.

*cough*Debian*cough*

DeadSuperHero
November 7th, 2007, 02:30 AM
Wow, I thought I was the one who randomly coughed good ideas.
Oh well...

init1
November 7th, 2007, 01:05 PM
*cough*Debian*cough*
Yeah, basically. ;)
But still, I think it sounds like an interesting project. I might sign up.

master_kernel
November 10th, 2007, 03:08 AM
I'll be a tester. I have no knowledge of developing anything really. I've made a few simple python scripts. Like I said I can be a tester, find all the little bugs.
It would still be great if you joined. We need all the help we can get.

master_kernel
November 10th, 2007, 03:08 AM
Yeah, basically. ;)
But still, I think it sounds like an interesting project. I might sign up.
Please do!

-grubby
November 10th, 2007, 03:18 AM

I'd test too

Darkhack
November 10th, 2007, 08:07 AM
It's a good idea if you are doing it for learning experience on how to create a Linux distribution. If you are actually trying to make a better Linux then you need more specific goals. What will your distribution do that the dozens of others won't?

Hobbsee
November 10th, 2007, 01:05 PM
What will your distribution do that the dozens of others won't?

Claim that it's going to be perfect, without ever saying exactly how you intend to do that.

Simple!

nand
November 10th, 2007, 02:08 PM
And I will say again : Why start another distribution again??

Especially when one of your "goals" is to fix what is wrong in Ubuntu... Stay united!

Frak
November 10th, 2007, 05:51 PM
What exactly groundbreaking about this distribution will differ from everything that anybody has seen?

master_kernel
November 14th, 2007, 02:57 AM
Developers are still needed!

@frak
This project will be groundbreaking because it will aim to succeed where other distributions failed. I'll still be a loyal Ubuntu user, but for some reason this project makes me feel like I belong. :)

Frak
November 14th, 2007, 03:01 AM
But what are those things where other distributions fail?

frup
November 14th, 2007, 03:07 AM
How about a customised version of ubuntu that looks further to the future. Ubuntu needs to be installed on as many machines as possible, your doesn't.

Pick say all hardware made in the last 2 years and make it work. Work on getting new drivers for new hardware. Work on bug fixes and improvements on the newer technology so that when Ubuntu comes around to 8.10 or what ever, you may have done some of that important work already.

I think creating new distros is pointless unless you really have something you think should be changed. Working with upstream projects is the best thing I thin can happen for the open source community.

Sorivenul
November 14th, 2007, 03:14 AM
I would gladly help in testing and could probably contribute to artwork/themes depending in my time availability. Will sign up at the forums.

urukrama
November 14th, 2007, 03:18 AM
succeed where other distributions failed.

And where exactly did all other distributions fail?

Frak
November 14th, 2007, 03:19 AM
I see codecs being the very difficult question, i.e. the question that is worth answering.

master_kernel
November 14th, 2007, 08:51 PM
I see codecs being the very difficult question, i.e. the question that is worth answering.
Good point. I am not the main developer for this project, just an advertiser :). I'll bring this up in the main project forum.

master_kernel

DeadSuperHero
November 15th, 2007, 01:50 AM
So, is it really going to be called Desktop Linux? Or have you guys got a name yet?

master_kernel
November 15th, 2007, 02:52 AM
So, is it really going to be called Desktop Linux? Or have you guys got a name yet?
It's not going to be Desktop Linux, but I think someone said something like "Harmonia" at least during the beta stage.