PDA

View Full Version : VBScript: Reading from a html file

Het Irv
November 5th, 2007, 08:31 PM
I can't find anywhere online that gives me a good anwser. If anyone knows of a better forums to post this in please tell me.

I am trying to write a Logon Script for my network that will display a HTML file every two hours (for security reasons). What I have so far will only read .txt files.

'Declares varibles
Dim objFSO, objFile, strCharacters

'Open the file
Set objFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
Set objFile = objFSO.OpenTextFile("C:\test.txt", 1)
'To change the file change the path in the line above

'Read the file
Do Until objFile.AtEndOfStream
strCharacters = strCharacters & objFile.Read(1)
Loop

'Display the file in a message box every 2 hours.
Do
Wscript.Echo strCharacters
WScript.sleep(7200*1000)
'To change the amount of time change the first number in
'the line above to the number of seconds needed.
Loop

I don't know much about programming, most of this code has been copied from other places. Any help you can give will be much apreciatied.

cwaldbieser
November 6th, 2007, 03:53 AM
I am not too clear what you are trying to do. Are you trying to read an HTML file and then-- what? Display it in a message box? Could you please explain a little more in depth what you are trying to accomplish?

Het Irv
November 6th, 2007, 03:45 PM
I am not too clear what you are trying to do. Are you trying to read an HTML file and then-- what? Display it in a message box? Could you please explain a little more in depth what you are trying to accomplish?
Sorry, Yeah that is about it. Really all I am trying to acomplish is to display the file every 2 hours. I'm not real picky on how the file is displayed. I just don't want to use alot of system resources so I would like for this to work as simply as possible. The message box was the first thing that came to mind on this project.

cwaldbieser
November 7th, 2007, 04:38 AM
Sorry, Yeah that is about it. Really all I am trying to acomplish is to display the file every 2 hours. I'm not real picky on how the file is displayed. I just don't want to use alot of system resources so I would like for this to work as simply as possible. The message box was the first thing that came to mind on this project.

An HTML file is a text file. I am not sure why your program wouldn't work on one.
Do you want to render the markup like a browser does? Or is the trouble that you want to read the HTML from a URL rather than a filesystem path?

Het Irv
November 7th, 2007, 06:10 PM
It does display the HTML but it also displays the HTML tags, which I don't want. I just want the formating to display

cwaldbieser
November 8th, 2007, 04:20 AM
It does display the HTML but it also displays the HTML tags, which I don't want. I just want the formating to display

You probably want to use something like the web browser control to render the HTML.
http://www.aspfree.com/c/a/VB.NET/Displaying-HTML-Content-with-a-Web-Browser-Control-in-Visual-Basic/