PDA

View Full Version : My 30 Day KDE Challenge

sixstorm
November 5th, 2007, 06:35 PM
Hello all. I've been using Gnome pretty much for the past year that I've been using Ubuntu. I've tried every distro you can think of and every DE and WM you can think of. But for some reason, I've always went back to Gnome. Now I wanna try something different. I want to use only KDE for the next 30 days.

I'm going to start looking around at other people's KDE desktops and see what they have going on. I tried to install a theme this morning but the theme manager wouldn't install it for some reason. Wish me luck!

Any tips from the KDE vets? :D

getaceres
November 5th, 2007, 06:38 PM
In my experience, Kubuntu is not the best KDE distro since in Ubuntu, KDE is a second class DE. If you want to use KDE full time, install a KDE-Centric distribution like OpenSUSE or Mandriva. You will get a much better experience.

GeneralZod
November 5th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Yep, looks like theming is indeed harder in KDE than in GNOME. I'm not an expert on the subject, but I wrote this bit that explains the most direct reason why this is so (but I don't know the reason behind the reason, if you know what I mean :))

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=2304411#post2304411

Happy_Man
November 5th, 2007, 07:02 PM
I wish you the best of luck using KDE. If you keep at it, by the end of the month, you'll never want to go back. :)

Theming in KDE is generally pretty simple, as long as you stick to stuff off of sites like http://kde-look.org and install into the correct category. For example, you won't get anything if you try to install a color scheme (yes you can install those) into the style category. It just won't work, due to the way KDE handles theme parts/categories. Remember to always click "configure" when the option is available! There are a lot of options hidden in those dialogs.

Have fun! Mess around! KDE is rock-solid, you won't break anything.

sixstorm
November 5th, 2007, 07:12 PM
Thanks guys. I tried ArchLinux yesterday but drivers are a PITA to get so I couldn't find any. Guess I'll stick with Ubuntu for right now. KDE 4 is supposed to come out in December and it looks pretty good. I just wanted to try something different than Gnome since I've been using it for so long.

One thing I'm amazed by is the number of programs. My "start button" is just chocked full of stuff! I know that it is all of my Gnome and KDE programs but still. It's a lot!

ahaslam
November 5th, 2007, 07:19 PM
I find KDE to look much better on someone else's desktop.

Engnome
November 5th, 2007, 07:22 PM
If you've been using Linux for a year and is the tinkerer guy I'm sure you'll like KDE, I can recommend Sidux. I love it. Get the lite version for a snappier less bloated version :)

It's built off Debian sid like ubuntu but is closer to Debian than Ubuntu. Been very solid for me for a couple of months now.

Sidux is less tinkering with than arch, it has a live cd with an extremely fast graphical installer. :D

/sidux promotion

p_quarles
November 5th, 2007, 07:25 PM
Some of the best things about KDE aren't immediately obvious. E.g., katapult. Hit "alt-space", and type in the first letters of a program. It's a nice little feature.

Some non-default apps to try: the Krusader dual-pane file manager. Basket Notes, and the KOffice suite (default in many KDE distros, but not in Kubuntu).

Also, you can map the mouse buttons to a number of things. I have my right button mapped to the kmenu, which is really pretty convenient.

Linuxratty
November 6th, 2007, 12:22 AM
If you've been using Linux for a year and is the tinkerer guy I'm sure you'll like KDE, I can recommend Sidux. I love it. Get the lite version for a snappier less bloated version :)

/sidux promotion

I recommend Klikit Linux. I have always used KDE and I like it a lot. You can do a lot of tinkering with it and it's quite attractive. It all depends on what you are used to. I'm still stumbling around Gnome,having just got Ubuntu today.

sunexplodes
November 6th, 2007, 12:57 AM
If you stick it out, you'll do well. I'm actually about a month into my first serious bout with KDE after a year or so in Gnome and XFCE, and I'm won over. I found it's best to think of it in a similar way as you would the migration from Windows to Ubuntu.

For instance, I don't think theming KDE is harder than theming Gnome, but it's different for sure. KDE has much more robust theming engines, and can look MUCH nicer than gnome, in my opinion. The problem is getting there, due to ugly defaults and the depth of the customizability.

A few things I'd recommend for someone new to KDE:

-Try Konqueror as your file manager AND as your web browser. It takes some serious tweaking to get it in a really solid state for browsing, but once it's there, it's an awesome, awesome browser. It's fast, renders well, and has TONS of options, many of which could replace Firefox extensions you'd otherwise miss.
-Make an attempt to stick with native apps, as opposed to using your Gnome apps in KDE. Some of the KDE apps are really great and well developed, and you might find some great stuff.

Here's my current desktop, if you're interested:

sixstorm
November 6th, 2007, 02:03 AM
Thanks guys! I'm really liking KDE so far. One question: How do I connect to a wireless spot? I went into the KWifi but it won't connect. I have to log into Gnome, connect, log back out and go back into KDE.

I'm looking around for some nice icons right now . . . I've also spotted some KDE4 screenies around the net. Looks really good!

MRiGnS
November 6th, 2007, 02:08 AM
Thanks guys! I'm really liking KDE so far. One question: How do I connect to a wireless spot? I went into the KWifi but it won't connect. I have to log into Gnome, connect, log back out and go back into KDE.

I'm looking around for some nice icons right now . . . I've also spotted some KDE4 screenies around the net. Looks really good!

how about knetworkmanager?

sunexplodes
November 6th, 2007, 02:10 AM
I really think Crystal Project is the nicest KDE icon theme, as it stands.

yatt
November 6th, 2007, 03:05 AM
how about knetworkmanager?I second trying knetworkmanager. It is not as bad as the gnome version (when you connect to a secure network, it will not prompt for a password every time you reboot).

Happy_Man
November 6th, 2007, 07:22 PM
I love KNetworkmanager. It's one of the things that inspired me to initially switch to KDE. Of course, back then I didn't know just how amazing KDE was. :)