PDA

View Full Version : system76 adventure of buying a laptop

DoctorMO
November 5th, 2007, 05:59 PM
So I finally bought my first computer laptop running ubuntu from System76; In fact I know some of the guys that work there, one of them was at UDS and I showed off our teams case badges.

Anyway the problem is that lately System76 have been shipping out laptops without backplates, not so bad I can wait for another package with my backplate in it.

The bad though is that they have forgotten to give me what I ordered, no extra 9 cell battery, no nvidia graphics card (although I hear this is probably good news) and 2GB of ram instead of 1GB (ok so some might see this as a plus but RAM sucks battery life like nothing else)

Hopefully these problems can be remedied, but what problems have others found with the delightful ubuntu computer seller?

Nem1976
November 5th, 2007, 06:09 PM
I have messed with a number of laptops but what laptop needs a backplate for? I know what Normal PC's need them for but never a laptop. Do you have a link to the site you purchased the laptop from?

isecore
November 5th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Wow, do they just drop a bunch of components in a box and then ship it?

Seems extremely sloppy to me to ship laptops without backplates.

DoctorMO
November 5th, 2007, 06:16 PM
Wow, do they just drop a bunch of components in a box and then ship it?

You know that is the first thing that came to my mind.

notwen
November 5th, 2007, 07:50 PM
What did their support have to say about this? Just wondering as I've only heard good things of System76 and their support. Kinda surprises me to see so many issues occurring within your single order. Be sure to keep us posted. =]

agurk
November 5th, 2007, 08:42 PM
Laptop backplate, what's that? Do you mean docking station?

hellmet
November 5th, 2007, 11:18 PM
Pretty sloppy work for an expensive laptop.

nooblot
November 12th, 2007, 03:08 AM
ok, what is a "backplate" ?

23meg
November 12th, 2007, 03:15 AM
The bad though is that they have forgotten to give me what I ordered, no extra 9 cell battery, no nvidia graphics card (although I hear this is probably good news) and 2GB of ram instead of 1G

Sounds like a mixup in shipping.

DoctorMO
November 12th, 2007, 03:52 PM
Sounds like a mixup in shipping.

A bug in their software apparently; they sent me a new one and the old one will be going back to them at some point this week, now I just have to figure out how to get the battery back from UPS before it returns to sender.

Seems like they've had a bad time with this order to be honest and this new laptop came with a back plate and everything was good.

GrayWizardLinux
November 12th, 2007, 04:13 PM
I had a ton of issues with them and sent it back. Not going to get into this or they will be able to identify me and then give me extra ****.

A very unhappy experience overall though.

I bought a thinkpad and installed linux over the windows XP and have a super running linux machine.

JetskiDude911
November 12th, 2007, 04:45 PM
This is all good to know. I was considering buying a laptop and a desktop from them. I'll keep all of this in mind.