PDA

View Full Version : forum database errors

incinerator
August 27th, 2005, 06:29 PM
Hi,

since today I have been having problems using these forums. Whenever I try to reply to a post or use the search function I get an error message (old-school black-on-whie html without no eyecandy) that says there is a problem with the forum database and I should hit the refresh button to try again. Clicking that try-again link doesn't help. If you do a reply you come back to the forum with another error message that says the thread was invalid, that second message has the usual eyecandy, though. Sometimes, my reply gets posted anyway. However, an edit was unsuccessful.

Similiar things happen if I use the search function, I get the same barebones error message, clicking the "refresh" link gets me back to the search page, the search page. This make searches effectively impossible atm.

Regards,
Dominik

incinerator
August 27th, 2005, 06:31 PM
The some problems appeared when doing the post above. Editing doesn't work, posting seems to work despite all the error messages.

essexman
August 27th, 2005, 06:42 PM
The some problems appeared when doing the post above. Editing doesn't work, posting seems to work despite all the error messages.
Clicking the "refresh" link didn't work for me either; but clicking the Refresh button on my browser seemed to work and my messages posted ok. I haven't tried editing any posts after posting.

essexman
August 27th, 2005, 06:45 PM
Clicking the "refresh" link didn't work for me either; but clicking the Refresh button on my browser seemed to work and my messages posted ok. I haven't tried editing any posts after posting.
Edit doesn't wrok

Have to get it right first time

incinerator
August 27th, 2005, 06:47 PM
Seems I am not the only one with bad typing sickness today *ggg*

I discovered some more: In any forum, the threads "views" and "replies" figures do not seem to get updated. E.g. for this forum, I still see 1 "view" and zero "replies" for this thread.

Regards,
Dominik

Kvark
August 27th, 2005, 07:22 PM
And threads aren't bumped either, so no way of knowing if anyone said anything or not. Looking at the outdated thread lists makes me feel like having Internet Explorer with cache everything set again. :-(

Kvark
August 27th, 2005, 07:34 PM
Edit to above post:
Figured out why the try again link results in another error message about invalid thread. It is not a refresh button, it's a link the the current page, so it takes you to the submit reply page. But the sumbit reply page doesn't know which thread you are trying to reply to or what text your message should contain for that matter when you get there through a link instead of by submitting a reply form.

DJ_Max
August 27th, 2005, 10:33 PM
I'm having the same issues as well. Sometimes my post makes it, but sometimes it doesn't.

darkmatter
August 27th, 2005, 11:18 PM
Edit to above post:
Figured out why the try again link results in another error message about invalid thread. It is not a refresh button, it's a link the the current page, so it takes you to the submit reply page. But the sumbit reply page doesn't know which thread you are trying to reply to or what text your message should contain for that matter when you get there through a link instead of by submitting a reply form.

Hopefully the problem is solved soon. The only way I can see new posts is by reading the content of my email notifications... ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

DJ_Max
August 27th, 2005, 11:27 PM
Hopefully the problem is solved soon. The only way I can see new posts is by reading the content of my email notifications... ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
I think it may be fixed, as this thread as been bumped, and you can now see the posts #

darkmatter
August 27th, 2005, 11:52 PM
Unfortunately, this thread http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=321271#post321271 still hasn't been bumped for me. :???:

Kvark
August 28th, 2005, 12:01 AM
Unfortunately, this thread http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=321271#post321271 still hasn't been bumped for me. :???:
Just speculating but I think only threads that has been posted in after the problem got fixed gets the real post count and bumped. So any posts made during the problem will be 'invisible' from the thread list until someone makes a new post in the thread.

incinerator
August 28th, 2005, 02:28 AM
yup, situation seems to be almost back to normal now.

ubuntu-geek
August 28th, 2005, 04:04 AM
yup, situation seems to be almost back to normal now.
Yeah, things should be back to normal.. :)

darkmatter
August 28th, 2005, 04:32 AM
Everything's back to normal here as well... :smile:

ubuntu-geek
August 28th, 2005, 04:37 AM
It's been a rough week for these poor forums. I hope we don't have any repeats, but I guess growing pains are always going to happen.