PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu is like a VERY demanding mother

CostaRica
November 5th, 2007, 02:38 AM
Ubuntu is a VERY demanding mother. A mother that tells us: "you have to be patient, and in the future you'll thank me". And in the future you tell your friends: "My mother taught me to do things right, it was hard at the beginning, but now everything is all right"

Right now I believe I am something like 4 years old, and my Ubuntu mother is basically keeping me in my room "thinking" what I did wrong (searching in these forums for help).

M$ is an always panderer mother, the one who says: "don't try so hard, everything is going to be OK", but when you grow up you pay for everything you didn't try hard enough.

What do you think?

mp035
November 5th, 2007, 02:55 AM
LOL :) Linux in general is a hard mother, I have been using it for about 3 years now, and I am still finding out lots of stuff that I don't know.

And you are definitely right, it's a situation of "you'll thank me later". It's a steep learning curve, but in the last 3 years, I have learned more about computers than the 18 previous years using M$ products.

Now i run a remote windows machine set up as an application server to use the 2 programs that I can't get decent replacements for in linux. I am waiting for the day that I can shut it down altogether.

I have learned enough to be able to design and sell very low volume datalogging products to multi-million dollar companies in Australia. No university, no college, and I never finished high school. -- All learning has come from these forums.

Stick with it, it's hard, but worth it!

steveneddy
November 5th, 2007, 02:57 AM
Ubuntu is my smarter than I am best friend.

:popcorn:

Atomic Dog
November 5th, 2007, 03:43 AM
If the rest is true then OSX is one of those controlling mothers that makes you do everything the way she wants it done. Brush your teeth up and down then side to side, use the purple crayon instead of that red one because mommy likes it better, chew your food twenty times before swallowing.

maybe that's why I hate OSX so much...I hate being told what to do.

HermanAB
November 5th, 2007, 03:53 AM
Linux is not unfriendly. It is just very choosy about who its friends are.

DutyDuty
November 5th, 2007, 04:02 AM
I think of OSX as more a Kindergarten teacher; you're not going anywhere with it alone, and the only thing that matters is shininess.

Also, looking back, it's like: "Wow. What an idiot I was." and "Man, I could have sooooo done without that."

CostaRica
November 5th, 2007, 04:17 AM
Linux is not unfriendly. It is just very choosy about who its friends are.

I am trying SO hard to keep my friendship, but sometimes M$ shows me the monopoly candy, saying "Come with me, I am easy", and when I go M$ hits me 5 minutes later with its BIG STICK of "I told you you can do THIS, but NOT THAT".

Dr. C
November 5th, 2007, 04:51 AM
Ubuntu is a VERY demanding mother. A mother that tells us: "you have to be patient, and in the future you'll thank me". And in the future you tell your friends: "My mother taught me to do things right, it was hard at the beginning, but now everything is all right"

Right now I believe I am something like 4 years old, and my Ubuntu mother is basically keeping me in my room "thinking" what I did wrong (searching in these forums for help).

M$ is an always panderer mother, the one who says: "don't try so hard, everything is going to be OK", but when you grow up you pay for everything you didn't try hard enough.

What do you think?

I do agree GNU / Linux is a very tough mother that will put you through a fair amount of short term pain that will make you a lot stronger in the long term. She will allways be there for you when you need her.

Windows is more like a panderer always trying to entice you with short term pleasures that are bad for you in the long term, but are very pleasant in the short term She will throw you out of the house when it is -40 C below and let you freeze to death for breaking the most trivial of rules or even because she thought you may have broken the rules. She does however give you the opportunity to plead your case to her servant over the phone in some far away part of the world while you are freezing to death.

stinger30au
November 5th, 2007, 04:59 AM
I totally disagree, i have just installed Ubuntu Ultimate 1.6 on my PC, took 20 minutes for a fresh install, format hdd and copy the data over.
i then installed thunderbird from the repos and installed my backup copy of thunderbird emails contacts and made a few changes to the apperance and installed a few little extra apps i like to use. without the interruptions, it would have been about 40 minutes tops.

that pc is the one im using right now. a pentium 4 3Ghz machine with one gig of ram and a few 40 gig hdds and dvd burner.nothing flash, but it does what i need.

next too me is my wifes pc. lasat night Xp Pro had a jiant spit. anyhow, it is a Pentium 4 2Ghz with 512 meg of ram and a few 80 gig hdd and dvd burner. again, nothing flash.

this morning i formatted the first hdd and reinstalled xp pro.
that took over 40 minutes on its own!!!
thats just the OS

now to go installing antivirus, portable apps , vlc media player... oh yeah, and lets not forget to install the correct drivers for the hardware....

yeah thats right , i forgot, my Ubuntu worked straight out of the box, only had to enable the driver my my Nvidia card. that was easy, ubuntu gave me a little check box and press ok, restart. done.

easy.

C'mon micrsoft, you have got some serious catching up to do!

FuturePilot
November 5th, 2007, 05:06 AM
Once you get used to it, it's a lot easier. I do agree, that it may seem a bit rough in the beginning. But if you just stick with it, it will become almost second nature.

HermanAB
November 5th, 2007, 05:12 AM
In all fairness, the 'Linux is difficult' problem has actually been solved years ago already by other distributions. If you don't like the manual configuration methods of Ubuntu, then you should switch to Fedora, Mandriva or Suse. They have wizards for everything just like MS Windows.

With Mandriva, you really *can* run the system without ever editing a configuration file by hand - some users make it a point to do that just out of bloody mindedness - they know how and can edit the files by hand, but they refuse to, just because it is Mandriva.

So, there really is a Linux flavour for everybody and those who think that Ubuntu is too hard to maintain, should not use it.

Tux Aubrey
November 5th, 2007, 05:27 AM
So, there really is a Linux flavour for everybody and those who think that Ubuntu is too hard to maintain, should not use it.

Don't talk like that about my mother!

-grubby
November 5th, 2007, 05:35 AM
Don't talk like that about my mother!

:lolflag:

runningwithscissors
November 5th, 2007, 05:36 AM
Ubuntu users get scarier by the minute.

ticopelp
November 5th, 2007, 05:39 AM
I find these analogies incredibly strained.

p_quarles
November 5th, 2007, 05:41 AM
I find these analogies incredibly strained.
+9x10^12

brennydoogles
November 5th, 2007, 05:49 AM
Ubuntu users get scarier by the minute.

I believe I take that as a complement!!

HermanAB
November 5th, 2007, 05:57 AM
Yo, mama!
;)

Spike-X
November 5th, 2007, 07:15 AM
I reckon Windows is like a nagging, controlling mother.

"Don't go on the Internet without your anti-virus!"
"Do you have a license for this software? Let me check it!"
"Are you sure you want to do that? Are you really sure? Are you really, really sure?"
"Where's that software license? I know I just checked it five minutes ago, but I need to check it again!"

stinger30au
November 5th, 2007, 01:28 PM

"Don't go on the Internet without your anti-virus!"
"Do you have a license for this software? Let me check it!"
"Are you sure you want to do that? Are you really sure? Are you really, really sure?"
"Where's that software license? I know I just checked it five minutes ago, but I need to check it again!"

you forgot a few of the others like

1. hey, are you sure you saved the data correctly last time...oops...sorry, i just crashed and here is a blue screen for your troubles

2. i will write your data all over your hard drive where ever and however i like, defragmenting is for losers.

3. im such a wonderfull operating system i will let you d/l and install the correct drivers, i will only supply half of what you need and make your pc run dog slow and you can live with it.

4. your licence key is working perf... oops... sorry. the licence validator server machine for the entire world just crashed. your software is now classed as pirated and you can not do anything about it. thank you for using our products, and have a lovely day.

5. you will allow anyone and everyone to put spyware and adware on your pc. farout, how else are were supposed to advertise our products. when purchasing your products please mention thats advert for a 15% discount.call now our operators are standing by for your call. and if you call in the next 15 minutes will you will receive these complementary steak knifes valued at $75!!! wow!! what an offer, how could you refuse!

:lolflag:

adam.tropics
November 5th, 2007, 02:29 PM

Worse, mother-in-law.....just as bad, but without the legal requirement not to do any lasting harm!