PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Studio - What is it really?

ryanVickers
November 4th, 2007, 09:01 PM
We've all seen it talked about, the themes, the programs, etc., but what really is it!? If you go into "Add/Remove", it appears to be just a program, but in some discussions and other places, a guy could get the idea it's a whole other -buntu, like kubuntu, xubuntu, etc.! What is it really?

This post can be used as a place to answer the question, ;), or just discuss the differences/values/problems/improvements over regular Ubuntu (in the event that it really is another -buntu...) :)

bobbocanfly
November 4th, 2007, 09:05 PM
Its an officially supported Ubuntu derivative focusing mainly on Video, Image and Music creation/editing. Linux For The Media Monkeys. Instead of installing desktop apps by default and having desktop like apps in its repositories, it has media creation apps by default and in its repos.

ryanVickers
November 4th, 2007, 09:08 PM
then what exactly is the program in the regular repos of Ubuntu!? :p

WinterWeaver
November 4th, 2007, 09:11 PM
here is the True Ubuntustudio... http://ubuntustudio.org/

I believe the Ubuntu Studio program in the Add/Remove Programs, is the menu that launches the various apps.

follow the link I gave you, and that gives you the Full Ubuntu install.

WW

markp1989
November 4th, 2007, 09:14 PM
i know this is off subject, i tried installing ubuntu studio from add/remove, and when i start it i get a message saying somthing about jack server?

bobbocanfly
November 4th, 2007, 09:20 PM
i know this is off subject, i tried installing ubuntu studio from add/remove, and when i start it i get a message saying somthing about jack server?

Im guessing its something to do with Ubuntustudios audio. JACKLab is another audio editing distro. Just a guess though.

misfitpierce
November 4th, 2007, 09:32 PM
Ubuntu Studio is a nice project as well imo. :)

antiserious
November 4th, 2007, 09:43 PM
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuStudio/PackageList

pelle.k
November 4th, 2007, 10:33 PM
You need to learn the difference between a "program", which is an application (singular), and a "suite" of applications, settings and artwork which is what ubuntu studio is. They have their own repository with extra packages, not programs, and that includes custom built kernel, drivers (modules), audio and video editing applications, and custom artwork (i.e. gnome icons, wallpaper and theme).

Rexbron!
November 4th, 2007, 11:05 PM
What you have to understand is the history of Ubuntu Studio.
A Short History of Ubuntu Studio

It initally started off as a wiki page (UbuntuStudioPreparation) describing how to configure a default Ubuntu dapper installation to be better suited to audio production.

The author of that wiki page produced an app, what you are seeing in Add/Remove to centralize the initalization and set up of the applications documented in the wiki page.

After durring the edgy release cycle, the author of the wiki page, ManicMusician IIRC, and _MMA_ discussed the idea of an Ubuntu based distro that provides a set of applications targeted at musicians, graphics artists and film makers. (Due to the current state of video on linux, the video part is lacking, but that is changing with apps like kdenlive, the MLT framework and OpenLibraries)

The first release of Ubuntu Studio as a distro was fiesty. Fiesty had it's own repo because we missed the new package freeze on some very important apps.

With the release of Ubuntu Studio gutsy, all the packages are in the official repos. The ubuntustudio meta packages provide a good selection of apps for their respective diciplines.

As for hardy, check out the artwork on wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuStudio.

As a member of Ubuntu Studio's dev team, I have my own set of a packages that I am going to get into the release (OpenLibraries, Jahtools and freemix).

Hope that answers the question. :)

Ultra Magnus
November 4th, 2007, 11:29 PM
I think Ubuntu Studio does a bit of tweaking to the kernal to make it better for audio stuff - heard that somewhere but I'm not really sure

Nekiruhs
November 4th, 2007, 11:46 PM
I think Ubuntu Studio does a bit of tweaking to the kernal to make it better for audio stuff - heard that somewhere but I'm not really sure
Its more than a bit. Its a practically a real time kernel. That makes a huge difference in the audio and video sides of things.

thisllub
November 5th, 2007, 03:24 AM
I use 64 studio on this machine and Ubuntustudio Feisty on another.

I will ditch Suse 10.3 on my alternate partition to try US 64 bit.

The big downside to real-time / low latency kernels is that Virtual machine hosts have problems with them. A friend suggested running VirtualBox running on the same priority as audio. A good idea that I will try soon.

HotCocoa
January 1st, 2008, 01:33 AM
The ubuntu-studio packages in the repository are packages to install Ubuntu Studio on your computer. I know because I'm converting to Studio right now :)
EDIT: Install successful. I confirm this post.