PDA

View Full Version : Well todays the start of my husbands move to linux...

SunnyRabbiera
November 4th, 2007, 02:03 PM
Yup todays the first in a long line of tests on his system, his former want to wait a month before dual booting Ubuntu and XP has been changed due to some major issues he had the other day.
Looks like XP is gonna sink for him much sooner then he wanted it to, as a recent upgrade has caused his computer to glitch and I mean its really serious.
Now of course I did warn him about updating Ubuntu can cause issues as well but he seems more confident in it then he does windows right now as he does know I can help him out.
Right now I am going to hook him up with gutsy as it works the best for his computer but I will have both PClinux and mandriva as a backup despite his issues with them.
I am sure he is gonna stop by later on and ask a few questions as I know how unsure he is about all this.
Just be gentile okay?
He will probably be under my name when he does this as he doesnt want to go into the registration stuff with the forums (he doesn't like using forums that much, its not like he hates them but he is a very timid guy)
Just remember he really doesn't know what the real differences between the distributions are as I tried to explain it to him but he got confused...
He has just used windows too long I figure as I mentioned before he has been a windows user since windows 95

n3tfury
November 4th, 2007, 02:13 PM
just have him do

/husband

at the beggining of the posts so we know.

BuffaloX
November 4th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Best of luck to you both.

My wife used Linux before I did,
I tried it because I could see how well it worked for her, and of course a bit of curiosity.
I did blow a couple of fuses in the beginning, but all in all Linux won me over.
Now Windows feels clumsy slow and unsafe.

SunnyRabbiera
November 4th, 2007, 02:22 PM
just have him do

/husband

at the beggining of the posts so we know.

I will tell him to do that.

n3tfury
November 4th, 2007, 02:49 PM
i was joking, but ok. i'm sure we could tell your posts from his :)

ericartman
November 4th, 2007, 03:17 PM
Good luck to you both. I started the wife on Feisty a few months ago, upgraded her to Gutsy recently. I notice we talk less now, no more "whats this?" that was a morning ritual with Vista. We both seem to be enjoying computing more now though, LoL

Cart

fuscia
November 4th, 2007, 03:56 PM
Just be gentile okay?

oh...uh, okay.

http://photo8.yupoo.com/20070727/215509_404620735_fgzlqmmv.jpg

PriceChild
November 4th, 2007, 04:00 PM
fuscia how mean :) You never cease to amaze.

SunnyRabbiera (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=23967) I don't think there's any reason to differentiate him from you if you want to use the same account... no need to expect different attitudes to you :)

madrod
November 4th, 2007, 04:06 PM
Hi all,
My wife started using linux because of me.. and in the beginning she was a little confused but now, she is in love with tux ¿should i be worry?:)
The truth is now she is recommending to use linux to all her friends and that's a big step for her computing and bit step for OSS and linux.
Bye

SunnyRabbiera
November 4th, 2007, 04:21 PM
alright well my first phase is done, I have him on a dual boot now and gutsy seems to work for everything he has so thats a good thing.
the next step is to set him up on media but I will spend a good part of the day getting him set.
while I am doing this he will use my computer and start talking to you guys soon.
about five minutes or so he will be down here to start his familiarization and stuff.
I have my work cut out for me getting his system up and running as I got to give him not just the media junk but setting his microsoft software working, luckily he has nothing that crossover and wine cant handle so getting that part to work will be relatively fine.
he will still rely on some of windows programs but I got him into using both open source software and microsoft software so its all good... even I still use one or two MS apps so he knows that I am familiar with how things work on his system.
I know what he needs and how to get it working, so there is no big issue here.

toupeiro
November 4th, 2007, 05:31 PM
What MS apps is he needing? I've successfully nursed myself away from MS-Apps with OpenSource alternatives and all but my visio alternative are re-readable by MS programs if I want to send them to anyone. My sole dependency on Windows is skype video.

Another thread to point him at is this one. (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=382137&page=57) This is a must see thread for anyone starting out on linux/Ubuntu.

fuscia
November 4th, 2007, 05:36 PM
fuscia how mean :) You never cease to amaze.

didn't want him to feel left out of the fun (it's unlikely i will be the one providing useful info, being usually on the receiving end of help).

SunnyRabbiera
November 4th, 2007, 07:05 PM
What MS apps is he needing? I've successfully nursed myself away from MS-Apps with OpenSource alternatives and all but my visio alternative are re-readable by MS programs if I want to send them to anyone. My sole dependency on Windows is skype video.

Another thread to point him at is this one. (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=382137&page=57) This is a must see thread for anyone starting out on linux/Ubuntu.

/husband

err hello Sunny's husband here.
The thing is that I depend heavily on Microsoft office for work, I have tried open office and the other ones my wife suggested but none have been able to do what I need it to.
To be honest I really don't think Open Office is all that good, I mean I like it and all but I feel it wont replace Microsoft office for me.
But my wife has encouraged me to use the two programs together at least, teaming the two programs together seems to work alright but still there are things about Open office that I didn't like too much.

SunnyRabbiera
November 4th, 2007, 09:13 PM
/Sunny

bump as this is probably going to be his place to ask some questions

SunnyRabbiera
November 4th, 2007, 10:42 PM
/husband

well she has said that my new systems up and running so I am going to start running it now.
one question though, does this forum allow people with the same IP to register on these forums?
I share a internet connection with her and I might need the support if she is not around.

bapoumba
November 4th, 2007, 10:45 PM
/husband

well she has said that my new systems up and running so I am going to start running it now.
one question though, does this forum allow people with the same IP to register on these forums?
I share a internet connection with her and I might need the support if she is not around.
Yes, sure, no problem, just make an account of your own :)

agurk
November 4th, 2007, 10:48 PM
I'm not sure there was a question in there, but it sounds like hubby needs MS Office because he can't get the job done in Open Office/KOffice/etc.
There is a difference between needing and wanting. Sure, I would like to have suspend/resume working, but i don't need it; it's a sacrifice I can make to be able to run GNU/Linux. If I on the other hand depended on having suspend/resume working to earn my living, it would be a different story.
Stuff in GNU/Linux doesn't necessarily have to be better or even on par with Windows, but it needs to get the job done where it's absolutely needed, some way or another. If it for some reason just can't, Windows is the only option.

SunnyRabbiera
November 4th, 2007, 10:59 PM
I'm not sure there was a question in there, but it sounds like hubby needs MS Office because he can't get the job done in Open Office/KOffice/etc.
There is a difference between needing and wanting. Sure, I would like to have suspend/resume working, but i don't need it; it's a sacrifice I can make to be able to run GNU/Linux. If I on the other hand depended on having suspend/resume working to earn my living, it would be a different story.
Stuff in GNU/Linux doesn't necessarily have to be better or even on par with Windows, but it needs to get the job done where it's absolutely needed, some way or another. If it for some reason just can't, Windows is the only option.

/Sunny
Not really, there is an application called crossover and wine that can run windows apps fairly well.

agurk
November 4th, 2007, 11:07 PM
Yes, having tried those, I deliberately refrained from mentioning them. ;)

SunnyRabbiera
November 4th, 2007, 11:18 PM
I dont see any issue in using them, especially wine now...
wine has become a lot better over the time I have used it, its becoming easier as time goes by.

agurk
November 4th, 2007, 11:27 PM
Indeed it has and the wine guys are doing a stellar job, I just haven't had any luck with MS Office under wine/CoOffice but by all means good luck, hope you get it working.

SunnyRabbiera
November 4th, 2007, 11:28 PM
it depends on the version, luckily he uses MS office XP and its supported under crossover.

toupeiro
November 5th, 2007, 02:55 AM
I think most people don't mention crossover or cedega because they are not free solutions. The Ubuntu community is greatly based on the propagation of free and functional software. That being said, I've never been one to shy away from spending money on a good application. Crossover and Cedega are both worth their associated costs to run the few apps or games that are windows based, while giving you the benefits and freedom to run Linux.

I've not yet spent the money on crossover myself, but I've read some pretty great success stories for it. I have tried cedega, and have experienced better framerates in my windows games than with wine alone. If crossover will run skype for windows (with functioning video support) I would drop money for it. The amount of disk space I would get back from blowing away an XP partition which gets booted to only when I want to video chat with my family in Brasil would be worth the price of crossover. :)

To the husband, I hope its a good experience for you overall. I find myself quite a bit more productive running on linux than I did on XP in my day to day tasks. Running both office suites side by side is a good thing to do. I used some pretty complex excel macros and had hooks into several different data sources, and so far they have all been cross-compatible with openoffice. I don't know what your technical requirement is in MS-Office that Openoffice doesn't have, but hopefully working side by side you will find it in openoffice, or it will be supported as openoffice progresses. For the money, open office is hard to beat ;-).

bruce89
November 5th, 2007, 02:57 AM
I think most people don't mention crossover or cedega because they are not free solutions. The ubuntu community is greatly based on the propigation of free and functional software. That being said, I've never been one to shy away from spending money on a good application. Crossover and Cedega are both worth their associated costs to run the few apps or games that are windows based, while giving you the benefits and freedom to run Linux.

Strangely, they are both forks of WINE when it had a liberal licence. They make lots of money for very little work.

steveneddy
November 5th, 2007, 03:02 AM
This is weird. Can't the /husband get his own username and post from his PC?

I fell kinda creeped out reading this thread.

toupeiro
November 5th, 2007, 03:02 AM
Strangely, they are both forks of WINE when it had a liberal licence. They make lots of money for very little work.

and thats fine. their little work .. works. and doesn't cost much.

SunnyRabbiera
November 5th, 2007, 08:01 AM
My husband is loving the crap out of his new system, and he is keeping me up right now showing him all the cool stuff you can do with customization and compiz fusion.
Say anyone have a full list of the default effects that vista uses that compiz fusion can replicate?
I know of a few of them but not all of them.

This is weird. Can't the /husband get his own username and post from his PC?

I fell kinda creeped out reading this thread.

well he has not set up an account on the forums yet, he usually doesn't visit forums often.

FuturePilot
November 5th, 2007, 08:04 AM
My husband is loving the crap out of his new system, and he is keeping me up right now showing him all the cool stuff you can do with customization and compiz fusion.
Say anyone have a full list of the default effects that vista uses that compiz fusion can replicate?
I know of a few of them but not all of them.
Ubuntu will grow on you if you give it some time :lolflag:

rustybronco
November 5th, 2007, 06:39 PM
well he has not set up an account on the forums yet, he usually doesn't visit forums often.
May I suggest "SunnyRabbiera/Husband" :)