PDA

View Full Version : Sudo or Sudo?

shearn89
November 4th, 2007, 11:17 AM
Hey all - this may have already been done, but I don't think so.

It randomly occured to me last night, that in my head, everytime i type "sudo" i mentally say it "su-doh".

Do people say "su-doo"?

That's why I started a poll - what do you say?

spamzilla
November 4th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Su-doh as it's easier imo to say that su-doo.

Vansinnesvisan
November 4th, 2007, 11:48 AM
Homer says "doh!" Super user do for the rest.

n3tfury
November 4th, 2007, 01:23 PM
su-doh. it just sounds right i guess even though phonetically it's incorrect that way.

stimpack
November 4th, 2007, 01:29 PM
su-doh too heh. Even though I know its Super-User-Do so probably should be soo-doo. I would have to think to say soo-doo, su-doh just falls from my brain into my mouth naturally.

Phil Airtime
November 4th, 2007, 01:30 PM
I say su-doh, but I always think the command's meant to be a play on the word "pseudo".

argie
November 4th, 2007, 02:53 PM
I say su-doh too. It just seems logical. But mentally it expands to 'super user do' whether or not that's what it's meant to be.

Today when I woke up, the first thing that struck me was that the short form of refrigerator is fridge. A 'd' magically appeared.

samjh
November 4th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Su-doh.

It's "sudo", hence the doh. If it was "su-do" or "su do", then it would be doo.

Lster
November 4th, 2007, 03:16 PM
Doh!

shearn89
November 4th, 2007, 03:38 PM
I always think the command's meant to be a play on the word "pseudo".

Yeah - kinda like a "pseudo root" thing. I know it should be super-user-do (sudoo), but su-doh sounds natural. Weird. As is that fridge thing. Oh, and why can't someone be "whelmed". As in, "I am not underwhelmed, or overwhelmed. Just whelmed".... English is weird.

qpieus
November 4th, 2007, 03:52 PM
I know it should be pronounced su-doo, but I always say su-doh, I guess because it's spelled like "judo" (ju-doh). The sudo main webpage says sudo stands for
su "do" so therefore it should be pronounced su-doo.

jclmusic
November 4th, 2007, 04:07 PM
i say sudo as in pseudo

Nano Geek
November 4th, 2007, 04:11 PM
I say su-doh as well.

phenest
November 4th, 2007, 04:15 PM
Su-doh.

It's "sudo", hence the doh. If it was "su-do" or "su do", then it would be doo.

It is a bad habit of English speaking people to pronounce a word how it is spelt.

aks44
November 4th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Su-doh here too. But I'm not a native english speaker, so I guess this excuses me? :p

BTW, I always thought it meant "switch user, do" even though *by default* it switches to root (hence the "super user do" common belief). Am I totally off the tracks?

shearn89
November 4th, 2007, 04:33 PM
Su-doh here too. But I'm not a native english speaker, so I guess this excuses me? :p

BTW, I always thought it meant "switch user, do" even though *by default* it switches to root (hence the "super user do" common belief). Am I totally off the tracks?
you're right - if you add the -u <username> switch, it runs it as that user.

Thanks man pages! (and aks44).

mthei
November 4th, 2007, 04:36 PM
When I was first looking into Linux and specifically Ubuntu, I would read the commands and think to myself "soo-doh", but one I found out what it meant, I changed it to "soo-doo",

-grubby
November 4th, 2007, 05:14 PM
I didn't even think about it. I always said it Su-doh

toupeiro
November 4th, 2007, 05:18 PM
In the company I work for, I notice that the majority of people I work from in the eastern part of the world call it "soo-doo" while people in the western and western-European parts typically call it "su-doh" The most important part is, I understand what they mean when its said. :)

skwishybug
November 4th, 2007, 06:14 PM
Wasn't Su-do the navigator of the Enterprise?

:lolflag:

Dimitriid
November 4th, 2007, 06:26 PM
su -c "x" (gksu when I need a gui tool with administrator rights ) its my personal preference nowadays. I like having separate user and root passwords, since I don't really want to put too much effort on my user passwords ( cause I use the same one widely and therefore is highly insecure ) but my root password that is a strong one ( not only that I never use it outside home and nobody buy my fiancee knows about it, in fact is complex enough that you have to really put your mind into it to memorize it )

shearn89
November 4th, 2007, 11:29 PM
su -c "x" (gksu when I need a gui tool with administrator rights ) its my personal preference nowadays. I like having separate user and root passwords, since I don't really want to put too much effort on my user passwords ( cause I use the same one widely and therefore is highly insecure ) but my root password that is a strong one ( not only that I never use it outside home and nobody buy my fiancee knows about it, in fact is complex enough that you have to really put your mind into it to memorize it )
Fair enough. I like the way debian has the sudo package though, as you don't have to worry about whether you might accidentally break something whilst "su-ing".

Interesting trend though - and an interesting point about the east/west thing - i wonder if I did a related poll whether that would change things. Hmmm...

Tomone
November 5th, 2007, 09:27 AM
Wasn't Su-do the navigator of the Enterprise?

I think it was Sulu.
Also, I say soo-doh because of the "pseudo" thing.

runningwithscissors
November 5th, 2007, 09:40 AM
First time I saw a description about it, it was mentioned as sudo as in super-user-do.

I've always pronounced it as sudoo since.

3rdalbum
November 5th, 2007, 12:40 PM
I pronounce it "soo-doh", but for a little while I was pronouncing it "syou-doh".

DoktorSeven
November 5th, 2007, 02:05 PM
switch user, do.

Thus sue do (/su:du:/).

t0p
April 17th, 2009, 05:01 AM
Vote on Lazarus! I say "D'Oh!"

Eisenwinter
April 17th, 2009, 05:03 AM
I say su doo.

Giant Speck
April 17th, 2009, 05:06 AM
Yeah - kinda like a "pseudo root" thing. I know it should be super-user-do (sudoo), but su-doh sounds natural. Weird. As is that fridge thing. Oh, and why can't someone be "whelmed". As in, "I am not underwhelmed, or overwhelmed. Just whelmed".... English is weird.

Actually, underwhelmed and whelmed are real words. Underwhelmed means to fail to become interested or astonished. Whelmed is simply an obscure synonym to overwhelmed.

ice60
April 17th, 2009, 06:32 AM
why is everyone saying it's switch user? it doesn't switch users, it gives you super powers, just like superman. it's super user do. that's what i've always known it as (i haven't bothered looking it up though, but i'm pretty sure that's right! lol)

i just realised i say it both ways su-doh and su-do lol.

edit. i meant it gives you superpowser like Genki Sudo -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvLpz18DcH4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pJsbOmrYNY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlW0_r_japA

RiceMonster
April 17th, 2009, 06:40 AM
soo-doo

because I think of it as 'Super user do"

cammin
April 17th, 2009, 09:19 PM
why is everyone saying it's switch user? it doesn't switch users, it gives you super powers, just like superman. it's super user do. that's what i've always known it as (i haven't bothered looking it up though, but i'm pretty sure that's right! lol)

It's substitute user, actually.
I still like to think of it as super user, though.

I pronounce it sudoh. If you're going to say sudoo, you might as well say ess-you-doo.

forrestcupp
April 17th, 2009, 09:47 PM
This thread was worth resurrecting. I learned something new. I always just said "su-doh" without ever even thinking of the "super user do" thing.

swoll1980
April 17th, 2009, 10:20 PM
sue-doe. Like a deer, a female deer

Giant Speck
April 17th, 2009, 10:27 PM
Here's how I pronounce it, in analogy form:

Sci-Fi Channel : SyFy Channel :: pseudo : sudo

I really don't care if I'm pronouncing it wrong or not. According to many, I pronounce Ubuntu incorrectly, but I like the way I pronounce it. :)

days_of_ruin
April 17th, 2009, 10:34 PM
Here's how I pronounce it, in analogy form:

Sci-Fi Channel : SyFy Channel :: pseudo : sudo

I really don't care if I'm pronouncing it wrong or not. According to many, I pronounce Ubuntu incorrectly, but I like the way I pronounce it. :)

uh-bun-two?

Giant Speck
April 17th, 2009, 10:40 PM
uh-bun-two?

It's kind of hard to describe how I pronounce the second u, since I'm an American, and many of the forumers are not.

I pronounce the u like I do the u in the word put or suet. However, I suppose many pronounce the u in put like oo.

Swagman
April 17th, 2009, 10:50 PM
Soo-doh

http://beaut.ie/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/sudocrem.jpg

Mehall
April 17th, 2009, 10:55 PM
Kay, if ever I make an app that heals the file-system, it's getting called crem.

Because it will need root rights, so everyone will run "sudo crem"

sisco311
April 17th, 2009, 11:21 PM
shoodoh - short(or show) ubuntu(oo-BOON-too) d'oh (homer simson)

ʃudoː

Joeb454
April 17th, 2009, 11:26 PM
I tend to say "sue-doe" like swoll1980 said :)

That said, I came across the sudo website the other day. It's su "do" ;)

http://sudo.ws/

sisco311
April 17th, 2009, 11:46 PM
alias please='sudo'
echo ftw (i'm tired)

MikeTheC
April 18th, 2009, 12:29 AM
For me it's sue - due, simply because I know it's a truncated form of "Superuser Do", as mentioned up-thread already.

Moreover, "pseudo" is already pronounced the way the rest of you are mis-pronouncing "sudo" and for me it's not whether it "looks" plausible but that I know it's wrong.

alias please='sudo'
echo ftw (i'm tired)
ftw (i'm tired)

MikeTheC
April 18th, 2009, 12:35 AM
Guide to Forum features (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1006656)
money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons.:-k
I'm not saying I didn't enjoy myself, but I didn't.
don't drink unwashed fruit juice.[-X
"Don't drink unwashed fruit juice."? How do you wash fruit juice, exactly? I mean, I've heard of "used beer", but this is a new one on me.

sisco311
April 18th, 2009, 12:49 AM
"Don't drink unwashed fruit juice."? How do you wash fruit juice, exactly? I mean, I've heard of "used beer", but this is a new one on me.
with a little imagination and a lot of vodka

reminder for /me: don't drink washed fruit juice.

dragos240
April 18th, 2009, 02:20 AM
I think it's su doo, because it means superuser do, su do. to run an application under superuser privileges.

calrogman
April 19th, 2009, 12:25 PM
if you add the -u <username> switch, it runs it as that user.

Or use sudo su <username>, which is just like using su as root, it's more roundabout but it gets the job done.
;)

pbpersson
April 19th, 2009, 12:38 PM
I say soo-doh but there is a guy at work who says soo-doo and I always look at him strangely when he does

ELD
April 19th, 2009, 12:43 PM
Suh-Doh! (think of homer simpson) when you do a wrong command ;)