PDA

View Full Version : how do you organise and archive your old emails?

ginestre
November 3rd, 2007, 07:50 PM
I'm tired of badly organised email, when I suddenly find that I need a mail I remember from two years ago but can't find it anyhow. So I thought I'd ask a general question before I try and organise my own. How do you organise and archive your old emails?

n3tfury
November 3rd, 2007, 07:56 PM
it's going to be different depending on what client or webmail you use for email. i use gmail and use labels for the most part.

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=6560

23meg
November 3rd, 2007, 08:10 PM
Most things automatically get filed into IMAP folders with filters I've set; few things drop straight into the inbox.

Nonno Bassotto
November 3rd, 2007, 09:15 PM
I don't. I use Evolution and the search feature of Tracker or Beagle when I want to find old mails.

jespdj
November 3rd, 2007, 10:54 PM
I'm tired of badly organised email, when I suddenly find that I need a mail I remember from two years ago but can't find it anyhow.
What software do you use for your e-mail? Doesn't it have a search function?

I use Gmail, because it's very convenient to be able to access your mail on any computer that has an Internet connection, and because Gmail is the best webmail software I've ever used. Ofcourse it also has a very good search function.

I try to delete old e-mail as much as possible.

LaRoza
November 4th, 2007, 12:11 AM
Delete it. If it is something I may need later, like a reciept, I save it according to the store.

50words
November 4th, 2007, 12:40 AM
I use some basic categories like Registration, Personal, Clients & Case-Related, etc. For the ones I don't need access to, I use an Archive folder with a folder for each year under it.

I archive things like Personal e-mails every year. If and when I start running out of space on my server (and if I don't want to upgrade), I will download the messages and keep them archived in a file on my computer.

There are a couple of utilities for Windows that I use to remove attachments in batches, but I haven't found anything similar for Linux, yet. If anyone knows of one, I'd love to hear about it.

Phil Airtime
November 4th, 2007, 12:47 AM
80% of the emails I receive are either instant-delete crap like advertising and junk press releases or read-once mails like newsletters. Those get binned, never to be seen again. The important messages (ie. all those that are to me or a small group of people) get saved in my IMAP mailbox and can be accessed forever and a day, mainly via Evolution, but sometimes on the web.