PDA

View Full Version : Virtualbox and XP Activation

tchoklat
November 3rd, 2007, 05:10 PM
I have XP set up as a guest on my system. At first useage after a whopping download of 'required' security fixes the system prompted me to Activate the Software before I cold install other updates. I clicked on the Activate Windows icon and up popped a blue pop-up screen. It contained four small white squares with red crosses in them - akin to image place holders. Nothing further. I have tried microsoft support and they cannot help. Al they ask for is the first six numbers of my activation code - I do not have one as the process does not provide me with them! Any Ubuntian gurus to help with this issue. The copy expires without activation in a few days!!!

tchoklat

mrvertigo
November 3rd, 2007, 05:34 PM
two quickie questions ! was the copy of xp bought solely for the purpose of being run on a VM if not activation may not work seeing as it may have been activated previously on "real" hardware

2 have you installed all required codecs and updates used to view the dialogue screen

tchoklat
November 3rd, 2007, 05:59 PM
The XP was provided OEM when I had my PC built at a local store. It was purchased and came with the registration code. It is a full copy, not an upgrade copy, and was in a sealed package when I bought it. It installs perfectly and works. Only issue is the activation screen. Secondly I am unaware of the codecs and updates required to view the dialogue screen in Windows, what are these? All software on the computer is up to date and codecs are installed on the host OS.

tchoklat

mrvertigo
November 3rd, 2007, 07:33 PM
in your virtual machine for Virtual box there are settings on how much video memory to allocate what are these set to?

tchoklat
November 4th, 2007, 01:13 PM
I have tried to allocate from 8Mb to 128Mb, no change ...

tchoklat
November 8th, 2007, 01:23 AM
I deleted the virtual OS and reinstalled it and activation went fine. Botchy previous install I guess!