PDA

View Full Version : My Gutsy review

nvteighen
November 3rd, 2007, 04:46 PM
OK, I've been trying Gutsy from the Live CD and have some opinions on it, compared to Feisty. Of course, response speed is not considered as I only have test-drove it.

BAD:
1. Please, no Desktop Effects enabled as default. They're a nightmere; why haven't you done the same as Feisty?
2. What's the point of Tracker?
3. Flashing screen at X Server's startup... (hey, Intel graphics card, not ATI nor nVidia)
4. Really don't see the point in upgrading.

GOOD:
1. The new printing system!
2. GNOME 2.20: much more polished and pretty than the older one.
3. The new Human icon theme is great, but it still needs some improvement.

Does anyone shares my thoughts? Am I missing something?

Perfect Storm
November 3rd, 2007, 05:08 PM
eh...a bit short for a review, in my opinion.

wPwLUi3N
November 3rd, 2007, 05:15 PM
i think the desktop effects are pretty cool.

Will give Vista Aero a run for its money,

nvteighen
November 3rd, 2007, 05:35 PM
eh...a bit short for a review, in my opinion.

Well, it's my very first review! I'm try to write something more whenever I can.

funrider
November 3rd, 2007, 05:56 PM
i love the compiz preinstalled. that make me feel like my crappy 499 acer laptop with 512 ram can really rock.

geeree
November 3rd, 2007, 06:24 PM
Didn't you like the Gutsy power management? And also the much better text rendering? These two points along with better support for newer hardware are three most important reasons why an upgrade from Feisty is worthwhile, IMHO.

Girish.

n3tfury
November 3rd, 2007, 06:32 PM
i agree with geeree - the text rendering alone made me use ubuntu full-time at home (when i'm not gaming).

ladygisborne
November 3rd, 2007, 06:43 PM
hi im a total newbie been trying out various distros and the only one i couild get to connect up at all to my internet connection was gutsy gibbon, i really think this is great love everything about it. only problem is i keep losing my internet connection and have to re-boot to get it back, never had this problem when using vista, anyone got any ideas, thanks:lolflag:

n3tfury
November 3rd, 2007, 06:55 PM
what kind of card and what kind of wireless router do you have. make/brands please and someone should be able to help.

FuturePilot
November 3rd, 2007, 07:13 PM
The sub pixel font rendering is absolutely beautiful. However, I'd have to disagree with the new printing system being good. Gave me headaches trying to get my printers to work when they worked perfectly right away in Feisty.

nvteighen
November 3rd, 2007, 07:45 PM
Oh, I see I forgot about fonts!

Yes, fonts rendering has improved a lot and Firefox and GTK apps look great, but there's that issue that makes fonts look huge (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=592123 and http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=575978) in title bars with Compiz and GDM, though they seem easily solvable.

What I'd like to know next, but to test it I need to install Gutsy (because it needs a reboot), is if the Firestarter's startup issue has been solved (see my signature) or not. If someone knows about this, let me know.

Something annoying are some Network Manager crashes I had. Maybe I did something stupid.

n3tfury
November 3rd, 2007, 07:47 PM
not sure if the startup issue is fixed, but i do know that users have had problems with firestarter quitting after an undetermined amount of time.

NewDisciple
November 4th, 2007, 06:07 AM
My review: PERFECT!
Besides the fact that everything worked right
out of the box, my laptop seems to be operating
much faster.

spamzilla
November 4th, 2007, 10:37 AM
On my old laptop Gutsy was perfect, apart from the slow wireless intenret speed. However on my new laptop, gutsy (or even feisty) refuses to install as I get error after error. I think the problem is my graphics card...x3100 ftl :(

edit I got gusty installed! Its ever so quick and working great :D

nvteighen
November 4th, 2007, 05:04 PM
OK, installed Gutsy!

Great. It's really a great distro, I only had to do some tweaks I like to do, but nothing really serious (except the GDM huge-font issue, but it's solved).

I'm researching about Firestarter's issue in Feisty. It seems that it has been somehow solved in Gutsy, but not in a clean way. Let's see.

Congrats to the devs!