PDA

View Full Version : Every posted your Linux desktop in other forum's "show us your desktop" threads?

FG123
November 3rd, 2007, 09:34 AM
Anyone who's been around enough forums knows the Ubuntu forums isn't the only place to find a "monthly desktops" thread or a "show your desktop" thread. Doesn't matter what the subject matter of the forum is, whether is about computers, music, cars, Hilary Duff, they all have at least a general discussion/off-topic section and occasionally have a "show your desktop" type thread.

So, anyone every sneak in a Linux desktop screenie in such threads? What kinds of responses do people give? From my experience, they range from curiosity to confusion to amusement to hatred ("elitist b-tard" - without the censoring - was a memorable one), and sometimes... to desire. :)

Iceni
November 3rd, 2007, 09:50 AM
I've only had positive experienced. I frequent a starcraft forum (tl.net) and there were a few other linux users there as well.

It's much the same as real life - people are usually impressed.

mark_lar
November 3rd, 2007, 11:02 AM
They tend to be good with me, I put up both my Ubuntu Studio desktop aswell as my Vista Ultimate one. (Unfortunately, screenshots can't show Vista's DreamScene which is rather nice.) My current ones are in the November desktops thread.

n3tfury
November 3rd, 2007, 12:01 PM
Anyone who's been around enough forums knows the Ubuntu forums isn't the only place to find a "monthly desktops" thread or a "show your desktop" thread. Doesn't matter what the subject matter of the forum is, whether is about computers, music, cars, Hilary Duff, they all have at least a general discussion/off-topic section and occasionally have a "show your desktop" type thread.

So, anyone every sneak in a Linux desktop screenie in such threads? What kinds of responses do people give? From my experience, they range from curiosity to confusion to amusement to hatred ("elitist b-tard" - without the censoring - was a memorable one), and sometimes... to desire. :)

i snuck in some screenies on a VW forum. most people loved it, some were just confused especially since the theme was auto related.

Detonate
November 3rd, 2007, 12:26 PM
I belong to several forums dedicated to PC repair, and I have posted my Linux desktop in a couple of them that are specifically windows oriented. Always draws comments.

svtfmook
November 3rd, 2007, 01:37 PM
they always think it's a mac

Scruffynerf
November 3rd, 2007, 02:11 PM
So far, only on Ars Technica... they have linux forums as well as windows ones.

FG123
November 3rd, 2007, 02:14 PM
So far, only on Ars Technica... they have linux forums as well as windows ones.
Another Adelaidean. Small world.

/waves

Atreus12
November 3rd, 2007, 02:24 PM
This month's focaljet (http://www.focaljet.com) (ford focus forum) post your desktop thread was started by another member with an Ubuntu screenshot.

Actually, if you view the thread, the first three desktops are (in order): Ubuntu, OSX, WinXP

A few posts down and there was a discussion about which weather widgets were the best for Ubuntu.

The number of Ubuntu machines seems to keep growing

-Andrew

Gremlinzzz
November 3rd, 2007, 02:25 PM
Speaking of showing desktops.Does anyone know how to change the menu icon? its easy in xubuntu just right click on menu button choose properties. but gnomes different cant figure it out. i chose main menu heres a screenshot.
http://ubuntuforums.org/images/uf/attach/png.gif

phrostbyte
November 3rd, 2007, 04:28 PM
I posted a picture of my Ubuntu desktop the official Microsoft forums, and swiftly got banned, :(

:lolflag:

psyopper
November 3rd, 2007, 05:33 PM
I posted mine twice (after changes) in a paintball forum, www.a5og.net (http://www.a5og.net) with some Compiz screenshots and got some interesting responses.

I made it a contest for reputation points for the first person to tell me what OS, what "version" (distribution would have thrown them off too much) and what 3d desktop I was using. I got about 20 correct responses!

jayde6
November 5th, 2007, 04:16 AM
Speaking of showing desktops.Does anyone know how to change the menu icon? its easy in xubuntu just right click on menu button choose properties. but gnomes different cant figure it out. i chose main menu heres a screenshot. alt-f2 -> gconf-editor -> apps -> panel -> objects: find the one that says menu-object as type; put the path in custom icon and check the use custom icon box.

Scruffynerf
November 5th, 2007, 08:48 AM
Another Adelaidean. Small world.

/waves

Small indeed.

/waves back

bonzodog
November 5th, 2007, 03:11 PM
I have posted my desktops in the Zenwalk Linux forums (this is a zenwalk system), and in a forum called boards.ie which is a general all round discussion forum for pretty much everything. They have a huge computers section broken down into OS's and I posted mine in the linux section.