PDA

View Full Version : Where does LINUX go from here?

projectblu
November 2nd, 2007, 09:10 AM
Linux
How to make it grow

There was a question on Linux.com about where does Linux go from here. Meaning in my opinion what is required to make Linux grow. So this is one opinion on how to make Linux and open source software as a whole grow and claim more of a share of desktops all around the world.

A little background on myself maybe required here. I am a computer hobbyist. I tried my hand at application programming with windows in Visual Studio. This was done with quite a bit of success. I have programmed and designed several websites, both on windows and on Linux. Everyone I know calls me with there technological issues. I've fixed it all from the toaster to a Nintendo Wii not connecting to the internet. I've been using open source software for all of my computing life. But only recently (about 7 months) have I started to use Linux. I tried several distro's , Knoppix, Fedora, Red Hat, Korrora. But I settled on Ubuntu, this was due to its ease of use and the fact that all my hardware worked correctly the first time.

Now that you know a little background we can get on to the real point of this. Where does Linux go from where it is right now and how does Linux get on more desktops. There are a few steps that can be taken. One is more distro's need to work the first time there installed with out tweaks. Another area that could help the advancement of Linux is a more complete distribution. A third area of improvement is advertisement. A user on Ubuntu's forums said when asked what the easiest distro is “Its Linux of course you have to tweak it to make it work with everything”. As long as thats the opinion of Linux users and Linux developer's Linux wont have the share of desktops we aspire it to have.

Several distributions I've tried failed to work with all my hardware the first time I installed without tweaks. The average computer user doesn't want to have to tweak settings or install extra software to make everything work. While some distro's worked with everything the first time. Ubuntu's Gusty Gibbon release even installed the proper driver for my nVidia graphics card automatically. While I find Linux easier to install and use. Most people who are not used to it are not going to stick around if they have to change things just to get it working. When more distributions get to the point of Ubuntu 7.10 for installing all the necessary software and driver's more people might stick around after trying Linux out.

I have yet to find a distribution that comes with all the software that is really necessary for the average windows user. There are a few that come close. None come with a really good media player. Only a few come with office software. Only a couple of distribution come with the same package manager. Windows users are used to the same thing on every windows computer that they use. The installers for most windows programs are generally the same. Visual installers like windows has for packages would be a good step. A decent media player would be a big thing for Linux. There are a few good media players but nothing that could rival or compare with windows media player right out the box. Basically there needs to be a more complete distribution and distribution need to work together to get somethings the same across different distributions.

We need more advertisement and publicity for Linux. Linux needs to be in places like best buy, circuit city, walmart, target, staples, etc. Small computer shops could hold Linux day's. Linux needs to be on tv. Linux needs to be in major computer magazines. The major problem is that Linux relies to heavily on word of mouth and people looking for it. Linux needs to be shown to people , not require people to look for it. High schools need Linux to be part of the technology curriculum.

Now I'm not putting down anyone or any distribution. I'm just stating my opinions. These are all things that I feel could help Linux grow and get a bigger percentage of desktops. I also dont have enough experience with Linux programming to do anything about the programming side of these ideas. I only use Linux and have stopped using windows for anything. My desktop and my server both run ubuntu 7.10 Gusty Gibbon. Thank you for taking the time to read these idea's on how to make Linux grow.

FG123
November 2nd, 2007, 09:31 AM
My stance is simple:

If I can mention the word "Linux" in a conversation and people don't immediately go "huh?", then I'm satisfied.

Balazs_noob
November 2nd, 2007, 10:26 AM
Sorry that i will be pessimistic , but i study Computer Science in Hungary and Students here don't have any clue about Linux in general...
I only know about a few people who experiment with it...
The only solution would be if MSFT could make a software that people can't steal , people that live in Countries with lower Living Standards
would never pay so much for software ( neither do I )
just my opinion
:popcorn:

One more thing: everybody that studies something computer related at our University can get almost every MS product (Vista , XP , Office) for free

Dixon Bainbridge
November 2nd, 2007, 10:44 AM
What is it with human beings that they can only deem anything worthy or a success if its a) popular or b) everywhere?

Success in terms of linux is that it is able to provide a viable alternative platform to proprietary systems. It does this, therefore it is a success. It doesn't need to go anywhere else in order for it to be successful, it already is.

beanco
November 2nd, 2007, 10:52 AM
Sorry that i will be pessimistic , but i study Computer Science in Hungary and Students here don't have any clue about Linux in general...
I only know about a few people who experiment with it...
The only solution would be if MSFT could make a software that people can't steal , people that live in Countries with lower Living Standards
would never pay so much for software ( neither do I )
just my opinion
:popcorn:

One more thing: everybody that studies something computer related at our University can get almost every MS product (Vista , XP , Office) for free

Ah, but Balazs it is our job sort of, to spread the word. I am a linux only kind of guy right now. there are a few linux users at the highshcool where I teach (maybe you went there) and I am working hard on getting the sys op to put linux on the network so we can use it and not hve to use MS...

robi

andrewpmk
November 2nd, 2007, 11:23 AM
Schools, universities and libraries need to start installing Linux on their computers and teach students how to use it. Not only would this save them a lot of money on software, but it would allow them to keep old computers for longer, reduce tech support costs (no viruses, etc.) and it would promote open source software development. Linux would serve these users perfectly, since 99% of them only need their computers to do internet and word processing. Unfortunately most computer administrators at these places are ignorant and continue to buy overpriced Windows licenses. We need to educate them. By spreading Linux at educational institutions, we will spread Linux to the general public.

n3tfury
November 2nd, 2007, 11:56 AM
linux will never "rule" the world and i don't want it to.

speedwell68
November 2nd, 2007, 11:59 AM
Linux
. A decent media player would be a big thing for Linux. There are a few good media players but nothing that could rival or compare with windows media player right out the box.

Have you used Amarok? Windo$e media is a bag of bloaty old crap compared.

kopinux
November 2nd, 2007, 12:02 PM
where does linux go from here? check out my signature!

though i would agree that free opensource should seek a 50/50 market share. it should be balanced. not to obliterate proprietary softwares.

Balazs_noob
November 2nd, 2007, 01:54 PM
Ah, but Balazs it is our job sort of, to spread the word. I am a linux only kind of guy right now. there are a few linux users at the highshcool where I teach (maybe you went there) and I am working hard on getting the sys op to put linux on the network so we can use it and not hve to use MS...
robi

i have tried a few times to spread the word:)
the result is that my brother will try it and one of my friends is using Kubuntu, all other people are wining too much ( they don't want to learn it or they want to game too much )....
No point of forcing something they don't want .
Maybe if i try later i will have more success ;)