PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu-users from Sweden

Emnitec
August 26th, 2005, 08:44 AM
Hello!

Would nice to see how many users from Sweden visiting this forum...??

Me, from Sundsvall and just started using Ubuntu and Linux after years of trying but after some days of frustration switching back to a Microsoft server again. But, now I have a server and Linux installation that's smoother than anything else I tried...

So...swedes..who are u??

weasel fierce
August 26th, 2005, 09:26 AM
Will a dane count ? :)

SKLP
August 26th, 2005, 11:31 AM
I'm from Sundsvall, Sweden too :)

Hamman
August 26th, 2005, 11:44 AM
I'm from Sweden, Eskilstuna to be precise. I've been a happy Ubuntu-user since I first bought my new computer, about 3 months ago. Had some limited experience with Slackware before. Now I'm only using Windows for games.

Kvark
August 26th, 2005, 12:12 PM
Will a dane count ? :)
We can understand what you danes are saying, thats good enough for me :)

I'm from Stockholm 8)

sophtpaw
August 26th, 2005, 12:18 PM

I'm from Berling originally, butI'm in London now! and There are lots of Swedes here, does that count?! :-P

Anyone else from London. I know my buddy Macdui is out there, but he is keeping a low profile just now,

--
sophtpaw

John Nilsson
August 26th, 2005, 12:24 PM
Höganäs ;-)

Been living with Linux since 1998-1999 jumping distros frequently until settling with Gentoo about 2001. Switched to Ubuntu last month or so.

As long as Mr Shuttleworth is pulling the strings I'd say that Ubuntu (and Linux in general) has a VERY bright future, that's one person who really 'gets' it.

phibxr
August 26th, 2005, 12:51 PM
I'm from Hudiksvall, Sweden, but live in Stockholm right now and has done so for the past 2.5 years. :)

mostwanted
August 26th, 2005, 01:44 PM
I'm Danish, living in Northern Zealand just a couple of kilometers from Scania. I've noticed there are lots of Scandinavians on these forums.

Brunellus
August 26th, 2005, 02:19 PM
I've noticed there are lots of Scandinavians on these forums.

Why is that, I wonder?

Seriously... is there a lot of movement to free software in that part of Europe?

Kvark
August 26th, 2005, 02:38 PM
Why is that, I wonder?

Seriously... is there a lot of movement to free software in that part of Europe?
I think free software that can be developed in cooperation between many small to medium companies suits Europe better then patented propriarity software developed by a singe big company. Because Europe consists of several small nations cooperating rather then one big nation. And the various cultures in Europe are not as hardcore capitalistic as the American culture. Also it is rather uncomfortable for Europe to be dependant on patented propriarity software when most of that software is controlled by American corporations.

Why would it be more noticeable in the nothern part of Europe? - Probably because it's damn cold half of the year here so people stay inside with their computers more.

Freddy
August 26th, 2005, 03:31 PM
Hi all da swedes, I'm sitting in Gothenburg also known as little London (because of all the rain :))

Why would it be more noticeable in the nothern part of Europe? - Probably because it's damn cold half of the year here so people stay inside with their computers more.
It's not that cold here in Sweden, okey far up in the north it is but not that many people live up there :)

I don't know why but here in Sweden we are often been far ahead. Bandwith is real cheap here and in some of our cities you can even get yourself a gb line if you wan't and 100/100 is real common. Our goverment is sponsoring our computers so if you are employed by the city or state you can get a highend computer for a little reduction of your pay (before taxes) every third year, even private companys can get sponsoring for computers from the state. So I'll guess when there exist at least one computer in almost every home, some is bound to explore the land of open source.

/// Freddan

Hamman
August 26th, 2005, 03:55 PM
Why is that, I wonder?

Well, apart from Norway going Open(Standards and to some extent Source), no, not really.
I guess it's because we are (I like to think of Sweden like it anyways) an IT-nation. Cheap bandwith, the 'Home PC'-reforma (you get to rent a computer from your employer, with none (or is it just reduced?) tax), many 'Hi-Tech' corporations like Ericsson (damn bastards for advocating software patents).

Brunellus
August 26th, 2005, 04:54 PM
Well, apart from Norway going Open(Standards and to some extent Source), no, not really.
I guess it's because we are (I like to think of Sweden like it anyways) an IT-nation. Cheap bandwith, the 'Home PC'-reforma (you get to rent a computer from your employer, with none (or is it just reduced?) tax), many 'Hi-Tech' corporations like Ericsson (damn bastards for advocating software patents).
from what I hear from friends who are from/have lived in Scandinavia, bandwidth is the only thing out there that's cheap....

Freddy
August 26th, 2005, 05:21 PM
the 'Home PC'-reforma (you get to rent a computer from your employer, with none (or is it just reduced?) tax)
You don't actually rent a computer, after the three years has gone you can buy it for a very low cost and as you say "rent" new one to (ok you rent the damn thing :)).
It's no taxes cause they take the fee straight outta your pay before any taxes is drawn, So you can say that you'll get a reduced pay. Our country doesn't actually have that high prices as many people like to believe (even ourself sometimes) but gas and alcohol is 2 things that are though. You'll have to wager the paycheck and what you'll get for it or maybe I'm just overpaid :)

We, the people of Scandinavia have allways been interested in technology and computers, just look at the demo and warez scene back in the early 80s, many of the most respected coders lived here in Scandinavia and the biggest partys was held here and without the university of Helsinki (Finland) maybe we wouldn't have a linuxkernel to play with.

/// Freddan

Kimm
August 26th, 2005, 05:56 PM
Another swedish user here, a Skellefteå resident.

from what I hear from friends who are from/have lived in Scandinavia, bandwidth is the only thing out there that's cheap....

Depending on where you come from I gues, generaly I'm quite sure things are cheaper here then in the US for example (besides from, as Freddy said, gas and alchohol, I dont care about the secund one as I dont drink). I hear prices are very hig in norway though, they usualy come here over the summer and bring lots of food back home.

And yes, sweden and all the other Scandinavian countris (although I dont know about iseland) have been very computer and technology interested. As a mather of fact, my city will be the first in THE WORLD to get wireless highspeed connections all over. And where I live, wich is somewhat far outside Skellefteå I have a 10 mbps broadband connection (gues why most DC hubs are from sweden ;-) ).

However there is an explanation to that. Sweden isnt exactly a higly populated country, we are pretty spread out, so the government spends lots of money on communication, that explains the internet connections... I cant explain the advanced space and nano technology though...

agger
August 26th, 2005, 06:00 PM
Hello!

Me, from Sundsvall and just started using Ubuntu and Linux after years of trying but after some days of frustration switching back to a Microsoft server again. But, now I have a server and Linux installation that's smoother than anything else I tried...

So...swedes..who are u??

Not exactly Swedish, but maybe Aarhus, Denmark will do? :-)

With a Fujitso Siemens 7405 Centrino laptop running Ubuntu and GNOME like a dream.

Kvark
August 26th, 2005, 06:52 PM
I cant explain the advanced space and nano technology though...
The Swedish space program was started because the European Space Agency decided northern Sweden was the best place to launch balloons and rockets from to study the ozon layer and northern lights.

Some research can probably be explained by that we get free university education and only pay for the books.

While talking about Swedish technology we can't forget that we develop our own fighter aircrafts, the first stealth boats in the world and the most silent non nuclear submarines in the world. Probably because we are neutral without any big allies that supply us with their military technology.

The high amount of filesharing in Sweden is probably due to the fact that it used to be legal to download wares, nobody cared when they changed it. And it's still considered fair use to let an RL friend borrow your CDs to copy them. We do have a small tax on recordable media that goes to music/movie/software companies as compensation for that we sometimes use it to copy stuff.

Not saying wide spread broadband doesn't add to it as well. I got 10Mbps both ways, can upgrade to 100Mbps both ways anytime I want. (Edit: Note that I only donwload legal stuff from places like the ubuntu repos)

Freddy
August 26th, 2005, 07:46 PM
The high amount of filesharing in Sweden is probably due to the fact that it used to be legal to download wares, nobody cared when they changed it. And it's still considered fair use to let an RL friend borrow your CDs to copy them. We do have a small tax on recordable media that goes to music/movie/software companies as compensation for that we sometimes use it to copy stuff.
I never said that filesharing or warez was any good or even should exist, I just wanted to make that clear.
When I first brought up warez in my post I didn't mean filesharing with a p2p client nor did I mean filesharing through a ftp client, what I talked about was the amount of cracking and good coded demos (cracktro's) that came out of the pirate scene in the 80's and the beginning of 90's. I'm not here to promote cracking or using illigal software but in my bealif this is one of the many reasons for which a small country like Sweden could come so far regarding computer knowledge.

pmj
August 27th, 2005, 12:19 AM
I'm from Umeå.

skatedawe
September 2nd, 2005, 04:13 PM
Im from Köping. Not far away from Västerås ( 13 SWE miles from stockholm & 4 miles from Västerås )

Perfect Storm
September 2nd, 2005, 04:36 PM
Hiya, I'm a dane *waves to the swedish bretheren*
Nice to see so many scandinavian on the board ^^

Pekkalainen
September 4th, 2005, 09:29 PM
I'm from Luleå in the north of Sweden. And I must say it is not so cold as the people from the south claim, and just in case anyone mentions it NO! We do not have polarbears and penguins walking the streets :grin:

Teroedni
September 4th, 2005, 10:12 PM
Well not exactly sweden but...anyway

Im from Norway
Live in Sogn og Fjordane link http://www.gulesider.no/gsi/map.do?n=&mode=&cb=cz&c=s&v=&bkode=&drill=&showCompanies=false&firma=&clickX=137&clickY=255&msa=m0&x=17.45&y=64.55&id=b_5.78944_61.921097&startId=&finishId=&spraak=1&oldZoom=1

stoffe
September 4th, 2005, 11:05 PM
Arvika, Sweden. =)

Lapse
September 5th, 2005, 06:09 PM
Well not exactly sweden but...anyway

Im from Norway
Live in Sogn og Fjordane link http://www.gulesider.no/gsi/map.do?n=&mode=&cb=cz&c=s&v=&bkode=&drill=&showCompanies=false&firma=&clickX=137&clickY=255&msa=m0&x=17.45&y=64.55&id=b_5.78944_61.921097&startId=&finishId=&spraak=1&oldZoom=1
Sogn. :O
I went to Sogndal a couple of months ago by car, I loved it.

I'm from Stockholm, Sweden. Installed Ubuntu last week.

krusbjorn
September 5th, 2005, 07:55 PM
Skövde, here.

Quartus
September 5th, 2005, 10:29 PM
Skövde, here.
Ditto. :grin:
Which part?

tnilsson
September 6th, 2005, 02:43 PM
I am from Stockholm, Sweden! :-)

krusbjorn
September 11th, 2005, 11:39 AM
Ditto. :grin:
Which part?

Vasastan. You? ;)

Juippisi
September 11th, 2005, 12:31 PM
Heh, not from Sweden, but from Finland ;-).

So hello my neighbours! (and someday we will beat you at icehockey, just like 1995)

Kvark
September 13th, 2005, 07:10 PM
My friend was over the other day, and I showed him http://www.exploitsrus.com/gw.html It is a site with cheats, bugs, dupes, etc for guild wars. He told me it was against the rules for gw to do this. Is this true? I am used to cheating on video games for my whole life, so I was sort of shocked to hear this.
Huh, does this have anything to do with "Ubuntu-users from Sweden" or Sweden or even Ubuntu??

Your post seems very off topic.

Well, guess I'll clear it up for you so we can forget about it and get back to topic...

Cheating in single player is almost always ok because it affects only you. Just like cheating to solve a solitaire card game at home doesn't affect anyone else then yourself and is therefore ok.

Cheating in multi player is almost never ok because it affects others too. Just like cheating to win in poker will affect the other players and is therefore not ok.

basse1989
September 15th, 2005, 07:55 PM
Hello everyone.

I'm from Sundsvall too. :) Now we are 3 guys from Sundsvall! :razz:

Xappe
September 17th, 2005, 01:29 AM
Uppsala. Raised and fed by moose about 300 km north of my current location, though...

NVRO
September 20th, 2005, 08:16 PM
I'm also from Sweden! :wink:

Quartus
September 21st, 2005, 07:34 PM
Vasastan. You? ;)
Kilbacken ](*,)
:grin:

krusbjorn
September 21st, 2005, 07:42 PM
Kilbacken ](*,)
:grin:

Where the heck is Kilbacken? ;)

jnk
October 16th, 2005, 09:02 AM
I'm from sweden to... Living in Hunnebostrand on the swedish westcoast.
I'm trying my very best to convert people around me from windowsjunkies to Ubuntufreaks. ;)
At least my girlfriend now uses Ubuntu instead of windows.

I'm allso working on a swedish GNU/Linux portal called Linuxsidan.
So if your interested in helping on that one, please pm me.

cheers! ;)

Leif
October 16th, 2005, 11:40 AM
Well, I'm a Dane too. Well, half-Dane. And living in the UK. BUt I guess that's close enough to being Swedish !

anonOmus
October 20th, 2005, 11:56 AM
Umeå.

Linux since 96

red_Marvin
October 20th, 2005, 01:50 PM
Lund :)

drucer
October 20th, 2005, 02:12 PM
Hi Swedish friends, I'm from Åbo, Finland. Hey I can almost see Stockholm from where I live if the weather is not too bad ;)

newbie2
October 20th, 2005, 04:59 PM
http://www.google-kai.com/
maybe a future ubuntu user?? :p

Joh_
November 5th, 2005, 01:05 AM
Västerås here :p

iluminate
November 15th, 2005, 12:18 PM
08:a here !
STHLM ;)

jasplund
November 15th, 2005, 12:34 PM
I'm from Kil, Värmland but I'm moving to Ås, Norway in a few weeks

gostal
November 15th, 2005, 12:34 PM
Hi

I live in Stockholm but was born in Eskilstuna. I have been a happy Ubuntu user since Breezy Badger was released. Mind you, I downloaded the Hoary Hedgehog but never got around to installing it. I've been a Linux addict for about 5 yrs but until recently stuck with rpm-based distros like RedHat and Mandrake. Main reason for still having windows is administration at work plus gaming for my kids.

Happy Linuxing :D

GoldBuggie
November 16th, 2005, 06:31 AM
Gärdet, Stockholm here.

My home is completly windows free now:) Even my fiance has linux :D Since I aint into the latest games and such and love ET RTCW. Linux is better then anything. And to be frank....it feels sooo good not having to deal with a world that is mainly build upon warez and such. Also I feel linux is a community built upon helping eachother.

LINUX RULEZ!!!:cool:

wabble
November 16th, 2005, 03:39 PM
Another swedish user here, a Skellefteå resident.

Depending on where you come from I gues, generaly I'm quite sure things are cheaper here then in the US for example (besides from, as Freddy said, gas and alchohol, I dont care about the secund one as I dont drink). I hear prices are very hig in norway though, they usualy come here over the summer and bring lots of food back home.

And yes, sweden and all the other Scandinavian countris (although I dont know about iseland) have been very computer and technology interested. As a mather of fact, my city will be the first in THE WORLD to get wireless highspeed connections all over. And where I live, wich is somewhat far outside Skellefteå I have a 10 mbps broadband connection (gues why most DC hubs are from sweden ;-) ).

However there is an explanation to that. Sweden isnt exactly a higly populated country, we are pretty spread out, so the government spends lots of money on communication, that explains the internet connections... I cant explain the advanced space and nano technology though...

Hey, don't insult me. Not only do i come over to buy food. I also buy cigarets and alcohol all year long :p

Well i guess i am from Norway then.. and, it is cheaper to live in sweeden. Broadband is cheaper altso, but i can't take that home with me :/

WiLLiE
November 22nd, 2005, 11:55 PM
Malmö here ;)