PDA

View Full Version : Do you use the ubuntu wiki?

popey
November 1st, 2007, 10:44 PM
I'm interested to know who uses the wiki, and who doesn't, and if you don't, why don't you?

LaRoza
November 1st, 2007, 10:46 PM
Yes, I use it.

I don't spend a lot of time there, because I don't have many problems. Actually, I don't have any.

rzrgenesys187
November 1st, 2007, 10:48 PM
I use it as well, i don't edit though since i have nothing useful to contribute :)

klange
November 1st, 2007, 10:50 PM
I updated the Acer AS5610 Laptop Testing page a few weeks ago, but other than that, I don't pay much attention to the Wiki unless it's got a tutorial or something that I need.

Kosimo
November 1st, 2007, 11:20 PM
When I'm in trouble, I always ask for help on this forum and I'll always get nice answers.

-grubby
November 1st, 2007, 11:29 PM
I use it all the time! It's awesome with very high quality content. I never edit it though

n3tfury
November 1st, 2007, 11:36 PM
i use it from time to time. once i'm more knowledgable i'd like to contribute as i've done for several other wikis that i edit.

also, who's the one who voted that they didn't like it, but didn't post why? wimp.

Lord_Dicranius
November 2nd, 2007, 12:18 AM
Well, I'm the 2nd one to vote "no, I don't like it...". My reasoning for "no" isn't a strict "I never use it", because I'll click on links that directly me to it. But I've found I have a hard time finding what I'm looking for when using the search engine (that's the "I don't like it").

Zimmer
November 2nd, 2007, 12:32 AM
It is something I used a lot when starting out with Ubuntu and again upgrading from Breezy to Dapper.

I expect I may visit again when I upgrade to the next LTS .
Having gotten my system working how I want there have been no problems (*Zimmer promptly touches wood and crosses fingers.)

p_quarles
November 2nd, 2007, 12:38 AM
I use it to cut-and-paste the commands for adding the Medibuntu repositories. I reinstall things a lot. When I was new, I found it useful for a lot of stuff, and regularly point people there for the questions it helped me with.

I hadn't really thought about it, but I could probably contribute some time to updating some of the out-of-date distro-specific stuff.

az
November 2nd, 2007, 12:44 AM
I'm subscribed to a number of pages and I make sure that the content on those pages stays correct and within the wiki guidelines.

Billy_McBong
November 2nd, 2007, 12:49 AM
i have used it a couple times
never edited it though, don't really have anything to add to it

conehead77
November 2nd, 2007, 12:51 AM
I use the german wiki, but didnt contribute since all my problems were already described...

songshu
November 2nd, 2007, 01:46 AM
guess i'm number three voting not to like it.

i find it very limited in the information it provides and i usually go straight to debian how-to's when it is a combination of programs that need to work or to the man pages if its just one app that i have a question about.

must say that i have been using linux and bsd a while before ubuntu came along so i'm probably looking for other things then someone who just discovered the live cd...so i'm not saying its not good at all.

Boaslad
November 2nd, 2007, 02:55 AM
I voted no, simply because I usually have a hard time finding exactly what I am looking for. Between the Forum support and my usual "Get-R-Done" mentality I can usually tackle most of my issues. so, um I guess i am number four LOL

cyclefiend2000
November 2nd, 2007, 03:22 AM
i use it, but not as my only source of information. i usually do a google search first when i have a problem. the wiki pages usually show up in the search, and i read them. but i also read some of the independent tutorials and forum pages that show up too.

then mesh all that together to solve my problem. the psychocat tutorials have proven especially helpful with their screen shots and whatnot.

kevdog
November 2nd, 2007, 04:41 AM
Why is so much info in the wiki repetitive and out of date??? Seems like the newer cutting edge solutions are found in the forums, however a lot of info gets buried in the forums, never to be seen again. Since I mostly hang out in the networking forum, Ive tried compiling a list of the most useful threads that I think will help the most people -- I think Im up to about 10-12 threads. A lot of the info found in these threads is not in the wiki. Seems like somehow the knowledge base should be combined.

songshu
November 2nd, 2007, 09:02 AM
Seems like somehow the knowledge base should be combined.

i have the same feeling about this actually, or at least have it a little more structured. i've posted some howto's in the past and was planning to turn my personal notes into some ubuntu specific how-to's and post them on the web somewhere, i can set up some simple pages offcourse....

but i'm wondering, would it make sense to set up some CMS so everybody can place his notes, tutorials etc.... in one place with the option to send and receive feedback?
think it might be a good idea that would help people to get some extra help and create extra quality documentation that could be eventually send to the wiki as well..

no real outlined plan here but i could host a thing like that...any sugestions?

Circus-Killer
November 2nd, 2007, 09:11 AM
honestly, the wikis does have its purpose, and i do find them useful when needing information on something very specific.

the only problem is that i find the wikipages to be in too much of a mess, and quite often more than one page for the same thing. i also find that they tend to get to complicated, and try follow every possible conceivable situation.

i dont know, i just think it would be better if the wikis were kept a little more simplified and structured. i find them very confusing. for me, i can read past the confusion and extract what i need from it. most wikis i follow, i have to know where not to follow along and do my own thing. however, for a new user, its not that simple.

anyways, thats just my thoughts on the whole thing. basically needs more structure, and to be simplified. also, theres a fortune of wiki pages that have information for 6.06, nothing later. whats up with that? just a few thoughts.

az
November 2nd, 2007, 11:03 AM
i have the same feeling about this actually, or at least have it a little more structured. i've posted some howto's in the past and was planning to turn my personal notes into some ubuntu specific how-to's and post them on the web somewhere, i can set up some simple pages offcourse....

but i'm wondering, would it make sense to set up some CMS so everybody can place his notes, tutorials etc.... in one place with the option to send and receive feedback?
think it might be a good idea that would help people to get some extra help and create extra quality documentation that could be eventually send to the wiki as well..

no real outlined plan here but i could host a thing like that...any sugestions?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=579726

http://demo.ubuntu-rescue-remix.org/

nowshining
November 2nd, 2007, 11:36 AM
i chose Yes, I use it in a read-only fashion however I don't look at em' that much and only if a search engine like clusty - trying to get away from google - brings me over to em' or something similiar and such. :)

However I do agree with others on the messy part tho and somewhat out of date.

songshu
November 2nd, 2007, 12:55 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=579726

http://demo.ubuntu-rescue-remix.org/

nice.....i will add my site when i have something ubuntu specific..
are you planning on hosting some content yourself or is it linking only?

daynah
November 2nd, 2007, 03:00 PM
I'm a tard. I don't know how to edit it.

K.Mandla
November 2nd, 2007, 03:09 PM
I have in the past used it, and contributed and helped maintain. I have wandered away from it since then though. Such is life. ... ;)

ddrichardson
November 2nd, 2007, 03:19 PM
Why is so much info in the wiki repetitive and out of date??? Seems like the newer cutting edge solutions are found in the forums, however a lot of info gets buried in the forums, never to be seen again. Since I mostly hang out in the networking forum, Ive tried compiling a list of the most useful threads that I think will help the most people -- I think Im up to about 10-12 threads. A lot of the info found in these threads is not in the wiki. Seems like somehow the knowledge base should be combined.See this is the problem, there is an ongoing effort to import forum information into the wiki but we (well I do) always seek the permission of whoever posted the information and I have to say I seldom get a reply.

bonzodog
November 2nd, 2007, 03:21 PM
As you possibly know, I am actually one of the maintainers behind the UDSF (http://doc.gwos.org), which has had server problems recently, and has now switched to using Dokuwiki.

Our wiki pulls the how-to's from these forums 'tips and tutorials' section, and puts them into a more readable and easy to follow set of guides, differentiated by subject.

However, it doesn't stop me from using the main wiki, much as I think (personal view) that Moin Moin leaves a lot to be desired as a piece of wiki software.

I do occasionally edit the odd page, but normally to correct grammar and the such.

Johnathon
November 2nd, 2007, 03:39 PM
I don't like it. Its got a different interface from what I'm used to. (As its not mediawiki.) Personally, I'd prefer either a clone of mediawiki, or a mediawiki install instead of what they've got atm.

de_valentin
November 2nd, 2007, 03:45 PM
Appearently i never needed it, the forums always helped me out enough so i didn't even know about them

MetalMusicAddict
November 2nd, 2007, 03:57 PM
the only problem is that i find the wikipages to be in too much of a mess

Can you say exactly which WIKI? HELP (https://help.ubuntu.com) (which is immutable) COMMUNITY (https://help.ubuntu.com/community) (everyone can edit and is for documentation) or WIKI (https://wiki.ubuntu.com) (which looks more for teams)?

ConvertOne
November 2nd, 2007, 11:52 PM
I'll use is as a read-only resource if I have a prob.

az
November 3rd, 2007, 12:52 AM
nice.....i will add my site when i have something ubuntu specific..
are you planning on hosting some content yourself or is it linking only?

All the documentation I write for Ubuntu, I put on the wiki.

This idea is simply to show links and to rate them by popularity. That way, you can get the best article by subject and not only have to stick with one site's offerings.

That project needs some ideas before it gets off the ground. See the discussion thread...

aptanet
November 3rd, 2007, 02:12 AM
Took me a while to decide which way to vote, but I decided that using it read only was the closest. If there was one for "I have used it but not much, and haven't really been back since" it would have been closer. I don't specifically dislike it, but everything I've looked for information on has been very out of date (mainly wifi stuff) or lacking in the detail I need. When I do get my wifi working I'll try to remember to pop back and update things,

All that said, I've never found either Launchpad or the Wiki to be that intuitive to navigate or use, and forums are something I ask a question on and then forget to go back to. I'm much more of a mailing list person :)

diana.artemis
November 3rd, 2007, 08:49 AM
Like many, I refer to the wiki - among other sources of info - when stuck. It's a bit of a maze; and you can never really tell whether all the bits of information in the help articles are up to date, so it's rather hit-and-miss.

viking777
November 3rd, 2007, 11:47 AM
I don't use it because like others have said, it it virtually impossible to find anything on it. Mind you the forums are no better. I wouldn't like the task of rationalising either of them mind you, although it desperately needs to be done.

23meg
December 20th, 2007, 02:54 AM
I use the wiki a lot, at least as much as I use the forums. I also find it easier to find things on it, partly because the forum search doesn't work as well as it should.

For documentation, people should use help.ubuntu.com/community (https://help.ubuntu.com/community) rather than the main wiki. All the documentation is being moved there (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CategoryDocumentation), and should be created there.