PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations: Gutsy is the best yet.

Jhongy
November 1st, 2007, 05:24 AM
Did a clean install of Gutsy x86-64 last night. Been running 32-bit Ubuntu since Dapper. Aside from a small problem getting the LiveCD to boot (had to add extra boot options), the install went smoothly, and I had quickly copied over settings from the last install.

I'm VERY impressed with Gutsy. No problems with the 64-bit version at all. Firefox works just fine, installed Flash with a single click. Compiz-fusion has decent initial settings and works perfectly (although I admit the latest nVidia driver that is provided is a pain on my laptop with a GeForce Go 7300).

All in all it looks like a lot more spit and polish has gone into this release. Less nuisances, lots of minor improvements that just make the experience more enjoyable -- the Gnome panels feel more solid, drag and drop from archives works, everything feels a bit snappier (although I'm sure the clean install helps).

I'm really looking forward to Hardy Heron -- as an LTS release it will likely have even more polish. I found Feisty a bit too buggy, but things look to be back on track.

Congratulations to the community, and everyone involved!

J

Chilongola
November 1st, 2007, 05:29 AM
One thing I have found is that I no longer have random restarts. Somehow I feel that Gutsy uses less resources.

jpittack
November 1st, 2007, 07:45 AM
Gutsy is great. I like that everything almost falls into place now. ATI is a pain to have have, and I still am waiting on another driver release to clean up the only problems that I have now. Wireless is broadcom. Those are my only two issues with running Ubuntu, but it doesn't matter which version I install.

Gutsy does use less resources on my laptop, but it does take longer to boot up (still faster than vista!). Sometimes I don't boot past grub, but I think thats my fault at the moment. Can't wait for the stability of Hardy!