PDA

View Full Version : Intel graphics and mythbuntu?

blairm
October 31st, 2007, 09:47 PM
Have a few computers gathering dust in the spare room, so I'm toying with the idea of upgrading one for Mythbuntu. Read the sticky on minimum requirements but just want to be sure...

SYSTEM SPECS
Pentium 4 2.6ghz
256 ram
40g hard drive
intel 845GL integrated graphics :( (not clear from the sticky whether that will work, although I've read on some Myth sites that integrated graphics are okay)

Also, any recommendations on a tv card? Would need to be capable of picking up channels from a set-top box (pay tv). Done a bit of reading and still unsure.

Would the above (with the tv card) work for standard definition (NOT high definition) television?

Thanks!

laga
November 1st, 2007, 09:01 PM
Hi,

I'd recommend upgrading the system memory to at least 512M. 256M will likely work OK, but I've found that it works better with 512. If you run into issues, eg with swapping, try setting your theme to Iulius.

You're not gonna record much with 40G of disk space, but you probably knew that already.

Wrt a tuner card: a PVR 150 should be OK, read up on "IR blaster" - that's what you use to control the Set Top Box.

Your VGA chipset will likely be OK.

So, yeah - you're pretty much good to go. Good luck :)

srem
April 10th, 2008, 09:06 PM
I was wondering if I can watch TV even with an old AMD 1400 GHz...
HVR3000 has just an MPEG encoder but not a decoder... is it needed to watch digital TV?