PDA

View Full Version : Ive got a little... OS crisis...

xequence
August 25th, 2005, 08:16 PM
Installing ubuntu has made me interested in other OSes... I had a 19 GB HDD and ubuntu installed on 16 GB and ME on the other 3 GB. Grub worked fine and everything... Then I decided to delete ME and install XP. I did that fine but then after doing I realised I couldent have it working with the drivers and stuff soon so I deleted it, thinking id try again in a week or so. I have no way to get back into ubuntu again :( It seems grub got deleted or something. I have the ubuntu installer CD, a mepis LIVECD/INSTALLER, and stuff. I can download something from mepis live cd and save it on my mp3 player.

I am on another computer now, I cant download anything on it...

Does anyone know how to fix this? I want to get back to ME on 3 GB and ubuntu on 16. I have the ubuntu partition all good and everything, id like not to delete it as it has my music. There is 3 GB of non partitioned not used space.

My CDs to do stuff with are: ME Recovery CD, Mepis installer/livecd, ubuntu installer.

I have some floppies to do anything with...

](*,) Ive messed up bad this time ](*,)

aysiu
August 25th, 2005, 08:24 PM
Reinstall ME.
Then, do this

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=24113

KingBahamut
August 25th, 2005, 08:25 PM
Damn aysiu, beat me to the punch.

sigh.

xequence
August 25th, 2005, 08:27 PM
THANK YOU VERY MUCH =D =D =D =D =D =D =D

I thought I had messed my computer up bad :grin:

Stormy Eyes
August 25th, 2005, 09:02 PM
No, it's just that Windows is unforgivably rude and insists on overwriting GRUB with its own ****** boot loader.

xequence
August 25th, 2005, 10:26 PM
I feel stupid... But it didnt work o.O It says there isnt a certain place to put it or something... Same thing with LILO.

Then I decided to go to mepis because it has something to put grub on the MBR... I also put it on a floppy disk.

When I turn on the computer grub looks like the one used to start mepis and I have two choices: Windows w3 or something, and memtest. They both dont work and when I hit one it takes me to a text grub (like ubuntu) but I think with different colours...

It is me doing something wrong here... I think... Maybe...?

:(

xequence
August 26th, 2005, 12:15 AM
Oh, and my final goal is probably going to be having XP and ubuntu dual boot... Though that just depends on how I can get XP running :P

EDIT: Ive got it fixed =D That link worked, it was just me that messed up :)