PDA

View Full Version : Speed Reading Program for linux?

Afkpuz
October 31st, 2007, 05:57 PM
I have an idea for a way to get a nice speed reading program for Linux. I bought a copy of a program called "speed your read". It was very cheap ($15, but a great program). I checked the copy write/license info and it turns out that this program is free to share, use, and edit. At least, this is my understanding of what it said. If thats the case, I strongly think that someone should reverse engineer this program for linux. It seems very simple. The install.exe is very small (13megs), so I could post it or send it to anyone who could help. However, I do need some help as to a good place on the net to store it. But yea, I think that this program could do alot of good. So, let me know

1.) If anyone is willing to convert this program to linux
and

2.) A good place to store the file so others can access it

3.) or, how to get wine to make it work

kline
February 17th, 2008, 02:18 AM
I'm interesed in helping you with this "edutainment" type program. I did a few weeks work in this several years ago when I realized that to do speed-reading correctly would probably mean lisp or another AI language.

Thing is that I'm busy wiith my Master's thesis and it may not be done for another 12 to 15 months. Essentially, this is a "yes-but" reply.

Another thought I had recently is using the Accessibility [K-Mouth, &c] text-to-speech suite which, I think, reads in the text and parses it before speaking.

gary kline
kline@thought.org

bodycoach2
February 17th, 2008, 03:48 PM
There is an excellent website I use for studying everyday. You copy and paste text to the window, adjust the setting to your preference, and read. Being ADD, it helps a lot!:

http://spreeder.com/

ToyKeeper
February 25th, 2008, 04:18 AM
I have a similar program for Linux...

http://toykeeper.net/programs/flash/

It does a bit more than the spreeder site, but is the same basic concept.

tekgeek-
September 20th, 2009, 12:36 PM
I know this is an older thread but it came up when I was looking
up this type of information for linux

I just found a plugin for firefox that allows you to highlight
text on any page and play it in your tool bar one word at a time
with the ability to adjust its speed and size and amount of words
at a time

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2149

they have a link to youtube that shows how the plugin works

linux18
August 11th, 2010, 09:44 PM
I have an idea for a way to get a nice speed reading program for Linux. I bought a copy of a program called "speed your read". It was very cheap ($15, but a great program). I checked the copy write/license info and it turns out that this program is free to share, use, and edit. At least, this is my understanding of what it said. If thats the case, I strongly think that someone should reverse engineer this program for linux. It seems very simple. The install.exe is very small (13megs), so I could post it or send it to anyone who could help. However, I do need some help as to a good place on the net to store it. But yea, I think that this program could do alot of good. So, let me know

1.) If anyone is willing to convert this program to linux
and

2.) A good place to store the file so others can access it

3.) or, how to get wine to make it work
unfortunately they use the windows API for much of their program, its not 13MB it 13+windows API MB and its a compressed binary file so 13MB ~ 39MB source code

ki4jgt
March 19th, 2012, 01:34 PM
Anyone got any more information on this? I would enjoy a good speedreading program. What techniques would one include?

onepostonly
May 2nd, 2012, 01:08 AM
hi,
my fist and only post :)

the xfce4-dict comes with an build in speed reader

hth