PDA

View Full Version : Who uses Epiphany web browser?

Kosimo
October 31st, 2007, 02:39 PM
Just curious... I installed it but I'll keep using Firefox, extensions are very important for me.

By the way, Epiphany uses the same Gecko engine than Firefox?

samb0057
October 31st, 2007, 02:56 PM
I use it sometimes, it's alot more lightweight than Firefox (I almost never use extensions anyway) and yes, I beleive it uses the same rendering engine as Firefox.

Kosimo
October 31st, 2007, 03:05 PM
Confirmed: Epiphany 2.20.1 uses Gecko 1.8 engine

jml
October 31st, 2007, 03:05 PM
I also use Epiphany on my Debian Box. It seems to run a little bit faster on my old ThinkPad than Firefox/Iceweasel does.

Joe

-grubby
October 31st, 2007, 03:10 PM
If you want to keep your extensions try seamonkey. Some extensions are supported by it, my favorite and only extension being adblock plus

urukrama
October 31st, 2007, 03:58 PM
I use epiphany from time to time, and quite like it, though it took me a while finding all the things I could do with it.

There are some extensions available for epiphany (as a separate package in Synaptic/apt), which includes an ad blocker.

MrGnu
October 31st, 2007, 04:02 PM
Our Company exclusively uses Epiphany Browser because of it's ease of use.

bruce89
October 31st, 2007, 05:23 PM
I do, and I hope it uses WebKit in the future. (those Mozilla people have screwed Linux for too long)

n3tfury
October 31st, 2007, 05:30 PM
i've been using it lately, although on my underpowered laptop, i can type a URL just fine, but on my more horsepowered desktop, typing in the URL field is sluggish at best.

FuturePilot
October 31st, 2007, 05:37 PM
I've used it from time to time. It's a really nice browser. I just wish links would open in new tabs instead of new windows.

Vadi
October 31st, 2007, 05:39 PM
I don't get the whole "firefox isn't linux friendly" thing, it works fine for me. Adblock plus and a couple of more extensions make me happy.

undine
October 31st, 2007, 06:05 PM
I've used it from time to time. It's a really nice browser. I just wish links would open in new tabs instead of new windows.

Likewise. Aside from that, and a few other minor niggles, I love it.

bruce89
October 31st, 2007, 06:25 PM
I don't get the whole "firefox isn't linux friendly" thing, it works fine for me. Adblock plus and a couple of more extensions make me happy.

Look at web forms. Epiphany suffers from this too, but that's because of bloody Gecko.

System>Preferences>Preferred Applications>Open link in new tab.

FuturePilot
October 31st, 2007, 06:26 PM
System>Preferences>Preferred Applications>Open link in new tab.

Edit, no this does not work. If you're using Epiphany try getting this link to open in a new tab
http://ubuntuforums.org/

bruce89
October 31st, 2007, 06:34 PM
Edit, no this does not work. If you're using Epiphany try getting this link to open in a new tab
http://ubuntuforums.org/

Middle click on it.

FuturePilot
October 31st, 2007, 06:40 PM
Middle click on it.

Yes, that does work.:)

Lster
October 31st, 2007, 06:44 PM
I use Epiphany sometimes, but mostly I use Firefox 2 or 3.

bruce89
October 31st, 2007, 06:45 PM
Yes, that does work.:)

Middle clicking on "Go", "Forward", "Back" and "Home" work too.

Mr. Picklesworth
October 31st, 2007, 07:19 PM
I use Epiphany exclusively. The bookmarks Topics system is fantastic. (Particularly after eradicating the Bookmarks menu).

While people complain about its lack of extensions, Epiphany does have the advantage of not needing to be restarted when extensions are enabled. It encourages simpler changes by them, thus having extensions behave like smart user preferences.

A Webkit back-end looks to be coming happily, too. That will be fantastic, since the Mozilla back-end is a pain. WebKit seems to be actually designed with portability in mind, whereas Gecko strikes me as something designed for a very specific application.

Rotarychainsaw
October 31st, 2007, 07:49 PM
I use epiphany as my main browser. I love the url bar and I like how the text and stuff looks normal in relation to my desktop. Firefox's text always looks a little screwy.

The only problem I have is that it locks up sometimes. Usually on a forum type page or digg. It's annoying. The new window instead of new tab thing really made me hat it too, but then I got used to using compiz's scale for just the epiphany windows and that works pretty well.

GrayWizardLinux
October 31st, 2007, 08:03 PM
I hate firefox and I hate thunderbird too.... I use epiphany and am very happy with it. I tried Galeon but that lasted about 5 minutes. Epiphany it is!

I must have had an Epiphany when I decided to use it! Geeeez!

killaray
November 1st, 2007, 03:53 AM
i use it... i would like to know if theres a way to make backspace go back... i know theres an about:config fix on FF i tried it on epiphany but it doesnt change the setting

sunexplodes
November 1st, 2007, 04:45 AM
I used to use Epiphany, when I was a GNOME user. Very simple, straightforward, and lightweight. I switched for a number of reasons, though. The big one was that I switched to KDE, but aside from that, the version of Epiphany in Gutsy seems to break a lot of epiphany extensions, such as middle-click tab close and resizable tabs. Which are very important. I used Konqueror for a while after, but have since settled on Opera.

a12ctic
November 1st, 2007, 04:50 AM
I use it exclusively, the firefox memory management is a joke.

undine
November 1st, 2007, 05:01 AM
I use Epiphany exclusively. The bookmarks Topics system is fantastic. (Particularly after eradicating the Bookmarks menu).

While people complain about its lack of extensions, Epiphany does have the advantage of not needing to be restarted when extensions are enabled. It encourages simpler changes by them, thus having extensions behave like smart user preferences.

A Webkit back-end looks to be coming happily, too. That will be fantastic, since the Mozilla back-end is a pain. WebKit seems to be actually designed with portability in mind, whereas Gecko strikes me as something designed for a very specific application.

I'm having trouble understanding what the actual advantages of Webkit will be :confused:

sunexplodes
November 1st, 2007, 10:04 PM
The big ones will be:

-quicker rendering. gecko's a bit of a resource hog, and webkit is traditionally pretty speedy.

-lack of the firefox dependancy. to use epiphany with gecko, you need firefox installed. this wouldn't be the case with a webkit backend.

n3tfury
November 1st, 2007, 10:08 PM
i use it... i would like to know if theres a way to make backspace go back... i know theres an about:config fix on FF i tried it on epiphany but it doesnt change the setting

? rightclick>backspace

bruce89
November 1st, 2007, 10:59 PM

Removing the bookmarks menu? Why would you want to do that?

I wonder how many Firefox crashes are caused by bad extensions.

Eating memory?

-lack of the firefox dependancy. to use epiphany with gecko, you need firefox installed. this wouldn't be the case with a webkit backend.

In fact, this is Ubuntu's fault. Debian use XULRunner instead (just Gecko without a browser) to build everything that Ubuntu builds with Firefox.

I use it exclusively, the firefox memory management is a joke.

Epiphany at this time uses Gecko, so it uses almost the same amount of memory. (slightly less as it doesn't need XUL for the interface)

FranMichaels
November 1st, 2007, 11:22 PM
I do like Epiphany, but I still use Firefox as my primary browser, actually the firefox 3 nightlies. :)

I do not use any firefox extensions, I find the base features sufficient, and some new behavior that is so spiffy I cannot ditch it:

Remembering which tabs are open even after closing.
Gecko engine (I think, and I hope the feature makes it to Epiphany) ctrl +/- zooms in/out the page, not just the text, and it remember it for the whole domain. So literally once you have zoomed in or out, you don't have to do it each time you visit.

Things I would like to see improved in firefox:

Never ever open something in a new window (unless I right click to force it), always open in tabs. I have this feature checked, yet, new windows still get opened from time to time.
The icons should match my theme, like in Epiphany.
The Tools-> Page Info entry only seems to list images, if I go to archive.org in Epiphany, and look at the info, it will list all the links of ogg's etc.

I do like the layout of Epiphany more (as well as the icon order in navbar), so I removed the narrow little Search box in firefox, if you right-click on any search box in firefox, you can "Add a keyword to this search"

So for google I just type
g whatever
in the Address bar.
gf some game for gamefaqs
wp some term for wikipedia

Very handy, I wonder, does Epiphany offer something similar?
Also, firefox 3 allows tagging of the bookmarks, although the interface does not seem to be finished yet...

Both are good browsers, I'll keep using both on and off until one is perfect fit ;)

motang
November 1st, 2007, 11:26 PM
I am really waiting for Epiphany to start using WebKit as the redering engine. Then I can use Firefox which runs on Gecko engine, and Epiphany which will run on WebKit. :-D

Mr. Picklesworth
November 2nd, 2007, 02:03 AM
I removed Epiphany's bookmarks menu because that type of interface does not suit tagging at all. What's nice about tagging bookmarks is that it really helps to weild huge numbers of them that people tend to collect, as opposed to a folder layout which just turns into a mess.

Unfortunately, the menu is a linear search and the bookmarks dialog is no better (except that it has an easier to use scrollbar). Hoping for a smarter interface soon!
I instead use the address bar to open bookmarks. That way I do not need to sift through all those darned bookmarks. I don't like thinking about, or seeing, how many I have; the linear menu interface feels weighted down by any number exceeding 10 bookmarks. The metaphor of "bookmarks" for locations accessed by a computer is very flawed, since, in the case of the web especially, it may be under a single cover, but there are a lot of pages about a lot of different topics, and some of them may only matter way down the line. The software should help more to organize these things, but all web browsers do at the moment is mock us with a mind-bogglingly huge list of forgotten thoughts and destinations that screams psychological issues.

undine
November 2nd, 2007, 02:08 AM
The big ones will be:

-quicker rendering. gecko's a bit of a resource hog, and webkit is traditionally pretty speedy.

Oh great, thanks for clearing that up. I'm a bit of a Gnome-a-holic, and try to rely solely on a 'pure Gnome' desktop as much as possible, so it would be kinda fun not to have Firefox :P

voteforpedro36
November 9th, 2007, 01:21 AM
I've been using Epiphany since Firefox broke on me (before I started using it, actually), and heard about it. I was using Opera, and used them both until today I was trying to send an email w/attachment out of Yahoo Mail (in Opera), and it returned a whole bunch of code. I tried again, same thing. Epiphany gets it right and is faster, imo.

Zipster90
November 9th, 2007, 01:23 AM
I use it every now and again, and I've noticed it's quite a bit quicker than Firefox, but I can't tear myself away from Opera.

The only thing I don't like about Epiphany is that making a bookmarks toolbar is a royal pain.

Rmantingh
November 15th, 2007, 10:25 AM
I would like to give Epiphany a go as it seems to be faster than Firefox but I'm running into problems transferring my bookmarks from Firefox to Epiphany. Firefox only allows me to export my bookmarks as HTML file. Epiphany only allows an import from file. When I try to import the HTML file generated by Firefox it complains about it being corrupted or of an unsupported type. Any ideas as to how I can import my FF bookmarks into Epiphany?

igknighted
November 15th, 2007, 10:48 AM
The big ones will be:

You forgot the most important one -> WebKit is far more standards compliant, and as a web developer, I abhor FF and IE for their wretched rendering of my perfectly good code at times. Almost never do I have issues with Opera or WebKit/KHTML (webkit/konqueror), except when I have had to use some crappy workaround to appease one of the other browsers.

I feel like there is some law of inverse proportions between userbase of a browser and its level of standards compliance... IE is by far the worst, and FF is a clear second, followed by the others in a fairly close race. Why can't we all just follow the rules!

likemindead
November 29th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Firefox did the job for me in Feisty, but when I upgraded (via fresh install) to Gutsy, Firefox=Icesnail. I don't know why. Ephiphany runs 4x faster for me, so I'm sticking with it.

sports fan Matt
November 29th, 2007, 04:44 PM
Epiphany for me also..Firefox runs slower then a turtle even with the speed tweaks and things tuned versus epiphany straight out of the box imho..

insane_alien
November 29th, 2007, 04:57 PM
epiphany all the way. the only time it ever took up as much space as firefox tends to end up with(a few hundred Meg of RAM) was when i forgot to close tabs and ended up with a few hundred open.

argie
November 29th, 2007, 05:21 PM
This may sound silly but I love WebKit and I will switch completely to Epiphany the second there's a Webkit+Epiphany available simply because I like shadows. The CSS shadow attribute looks so lovely on Safari! And looks nice in Konqueror just for being there.

Dimitriid
November 29th, 2007, 06:59 PM
I would use epiphany exclusively except I haven't been able to get my bookmarks to show up chronologically. I keep saying one day I'll just organize em by category instead but i never actually get to it, so I keep going by memory to know where to click.

tehkain
November 29th, 2007, 07:55 PM
I use epiphany and love it, cant wait for webkit. One of the reasons I use epiphany is because I created alot of custom code to do many things specific to my needs with the quality python bindings. Also the webkit version, while not nearly functional, makes firefox seem even heavier.

I must say midrori looks cool and I would love for their to be multiple GTK webkit browsers.

prodigalson666
November 30th, 2007, 12:42 AM
Its not bad but firefox is still the best.

Mateo
November 30th, 2007, 12:49 AM
I do.

smartboyathome
November 30th, 2007, 12:54 AM
I keep it on my computer for those moments where firefox "freaks out", but the web page loading is to slow for me, and the lack of extentions send me back to FF.

BTW, I am using FF3.

Mateo
November 30th, 2007, 01:08 AM
Epiphany does have extensions by the way. It just doesn't have a lot of frivilous ones.

smartboyathome
November 30th, 2007, 01:13 AM
Exactly, I was missing the extentions I use in Firefox (mainly download statusbar and User Agent Switcher).

bruce89
November 30th, 2007, 01:14 AM
If you knew Python or C, you could write your own extensions.

euchrid
November 30th, 2007, 02:19 AM
If you knew Python or C, you could write your own extensions.

If I knew Python or C, I would take over the world. Bwahaha!

But yeah, I also use Epiphany, but mainly for when Firefox is naughty. Have to say, I'm loving Kazehasake at the moment... like Epiphany, but with bells on. But I like Epiphany because it doesn't have bells.... hmm. Maybe I'll just keep them all.

bruce89
November 30th, 2007, 02:24 AM
If I knew Python or C, I would take over the world. Bwahaha!

But yeah, I also use Epiphany, but mainly for when Firefox is naughty. Have to say, I'm loving Kazehasake at the moment... like Epiphany, but with bells on. But I like Epiphany because it doesn't have bells.... hmm. Maybe I'll just keep them all.

It's the GNOME browser, so what do you expect?

Il semble que la perfection soit atteinte non quand il n'y a plus rien à ajouter, mais quand il n'y a plus rien à retrancher.

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

euchrid
November 30th, 2007, 03:42 AM
It's the GNOME browser, so what do you expect?

Huh? I mean, have you taken offense? I'm not sure what you're getting at. I was being silly, but I wasn't taking the 'mickey'; I think your suggestion to write your own extension was a good one. And I said I liked the fact that Epiphany didn't have loads of extras... Or did you mean that you don't like Epiphany? Did I not understand you or did you not understand me, or a bit of both?

TearDownAllSigns
December 16th, 2007, 03:14 AM
I switched to Epiphany about a month ago after getting tired of hearing the girlfriend cry "the internet's gone grey again". Haven't really had it happen again, at least where it was the browser's fault.

As far as people looking for Webkit with Epiphany, there is a test webkit GTK+ that can be built with Epiphany with a little work.

http://live.gnome.org/Epiphany/WebKit

TearDownAllSigns
December 16th, 2007, 03:34 AM
Even better, Epiphany Webkit packages

http://phorolinux.com/how-to-install-epiphany-with-the-webkit-backend-on-ubuntu-710.html