PDA

View Full Version : Gnome + KDE inconsistencies

tubasoldier
October 31st, 2007, 11:49 AM
I'm not usually one to rant but I think this deserves at least a little attention.

Both the GDM and KDM developers seem to have quite a few inconsistencies with their own projects.

First of all, I love GDM. I like that I can have themes that are "random from selected". You can even log into your desktop from another computer with XDMCP. GDM is more functional and more configurable than any other available login manager. However, GDM does have a lot of configuration options. Isn't this contrary to the Gnome ideal of making things as simple as can be even if it means removing some functionality? Take for instance the Gnome view of random wallpapers on your regular desktop. It isn't their job. There are 3rd party apps that can do that for you... Call it what you will but to you I say Hypocritical.

Now on to KDM. The whole idea of "random from selected" in KDM is completely ignored. No, we don't want that! At least that is the general feeling of the users and devs I have chatted with. WHY NOT?! This completely goes against the KDE view of things where the user has the option to change everything. In the Kcontrol menu a user can change damn near anything. To most users this is unnecessary. But KDE also has random wallpaper built into it. Random by X number of minutes. And random by desktop as well. So why not random from selected login themes? Call it what you will but to you I say Hypocritical!

Thats just my thoughts on the whole subject.