PDA

View Full Version : I have a dream: copy images between host and guest!

neogenesis213
October 31st, 2007, 10:55 AM
I installed VirtualBox 1.5.2 recently so i can
1.use Word 2007 (nothing int he open source realm comes close to this im sorry)
2. MSN Messenger (pidgin doesn't allow me to send and receive messages when i or others are appearing offline/invisible)

Now the problem comes when i attempt to copy a PICTURE or take SCREENSHOT ubuntu host and PASTE it into the guest (XP).

Has anyone been able to achieve the copying and pasting of pictures between guest and host. If so please shed some light on this matter.

AusIV4
October 31st, 2007, 05:52 PM
Do a search for seamless virtualization. It uses an RDP interface, and integrates the Windows windows with your Ubuntu desktop. I know you can copy text between windows, and I think pictures may work as well.

bodhi.zazen
October 31st, 2007, 11:09 PM
There are many ways to transfer the file, why get stuck on having to copy-paste ?

Use a network protocol like nfs, scp, sshfs, samba ...

Delvien
November 1st, 2007, 02:08 PM
Or.... map to the network drive to your pictures 'shared folder'

neogenesis213
November 2nd, 2007, 07:05 AM
Can anyone confirm what ASUSIV is saying. Because ig got seamless RDP working can copy text but images is still a nada. itnerestingly i can't seem to copy images between linux apps as long as virtualbox is running. Copying images between windows appz (guest) works jsut fine

What i need to do is print screen of a pdf document and then paste in word. A very fast process if done as said. Otherwise its too tedious and i might as well get rid of ubuntu if it can't do something as simple as that.
Ironically despite all the fancy effects of compiz fusion open source fails at the basic needs.
Someone should tell the developers to fix the clipboard system up. Its one area linux is miles behind than windows.

kosmic
November 3rd, 2007, 02:48 PM
MSN MESSENGER ??? Jesus christ, virtualization because MSN ?? are we all crazy ?

Just try something real like Mercury Messenger or Kopete...

I tink i'm becoming sick

rustalot
November 3rd, 2007, 03:01 PM
What i need to do is print screen of a pdf document and then paste in word.

Can't you just embed the pdf into the word document?

UbuWu
November 3rd, 2007, 03:13 PM
2. MSN Messenger (pidgin doesn't allow me to send and receive messages when i or others are appearing offline/invisible)

Why don't you use emesene (http://emesene.org)?