PDA

View Full Version : Building and selling a computer for profit?

fd9_
October 31st, 2007, 09:01 AM
Does anybody here build and sell computers as a hobby, or know anyone that does? I was wondering if it would be profitible to sell custom machines on places like craigslist (with Ubuntu pre-installed, of course :)).

Just guesstimating here, but I'd reckon it's possible to easily get a $300+ profit per machine, given that you invest in higher-end components, which is certainly not bad for an hour of work. The only issue would be if your selling a gaming machine, in which case it might be worth it to get a windows license. Any thoughts?

az
October 31st, 2007, 11:11 AM
Does anybody here build and sell computers as a hobby, or know anyone that does? I was wondering if it would be profitible to sell custom machines on places like craigslist (with Ubuntu pre-installed, of course :)).

Just guesstimating here, but I'd reckon it's possible to easily get a $300+ profit per machine, given that you invest in higher-end components, which is certainly not bad for an hour of work. The only issue would be if your selling a gaming machine, in which case it might be worth it to get a windows license. Any thoughts?

A windows license costs a large reseller about $10.

It is very hard to compete with large resellers. You will certainly not be competitive by making a $300 profit on each machine.

speedwell68
October 31st, 2007, 11:43 AM
Most large PC manufacturers make their profits based on large volume sales, stack it high and sell it cheap.

songshu
October 31st, 2007, 05:07 PM
think it will all be about the box if you want to sell it.

can you make something that is not available already? then there is always the change its something somebody has been looking for.

i am looking for a case myself lately to fit into a 19"rack cabinet. almost any case with enough 3,25 bays is simply to deep to fit, the only thing suitable i can find on-line would be the thermaltake mozart tx

so i'm left with the choice of using badly cooled rack mount servers or a box that actually is 20cm too high for my taste....