PDA

View Full Version : I made a drunk Linux bet...

Hortinstein
October 31st, 2007, 08:07 AM
So this summer I was drinking with some of my nerdy buddies back from high school, and we got into the topic of Windows Vista and Linux. I had just installed ubuntu 6.10 a few months earlier and was amazed by just about every aspect of it, and didn't really (and still don't) understand why it hasn't taken off on the Home PC market. The ease of apt-get and synaptic, security, price, and Beryl (at the time) didnt seem to appeal to them at all.

Anyway, I bet him 1000 dollars that by 2015 Windows will not be the dominating operating system, and it will be a Unix based system. I still think it is better than the drunk times I have been hustled at darts, pool, poker, or any of the other terrible rum-influenced decisions.

Opinions?

loell
October 31st, 2007, 08:14 AM
there was this guy who also made a bet, I bet you can read the thread "the bet is on" or something, and now, this? ;)

I seriously think that some of the new ubuntu users lately have a gambling problem.

MonkeyBoy
October 31st, 2007, 08:15 AM
Start saving now...

You are quite right that Linux should be much more popular than it is but while the Windows tax continues, people just aren't going to even be aware of the other options.

Frustrating and wrong but true.

Hortinstein
October 31st, 2007, 08:15 AM
haahah the funny thing is I totally didnt see the bet is on topic untill right after this was posted I am going to delete this topic if I can....my bad