PDA

View Full Version : Do you use Tomboy?

Sand Lee
October 31st, 2007, 08:04 AM
Does anyone use Tomboy? I have tried multiple times to use it but it just seems so unnecessary. Every task I would do in Tomboy, I could accomplish in Gedit in less time.
If you use Tomboy, could you please describe how you use it and possibly the advantages of using it over apps like Gedit? Thank you for your time.

Sensenseppl
October 31st, 2007, 09:00 AM
I use it quite often, since I don't like to have multiple files with notes lying around. Furthermore, one file with all the notes would become quite confusing after a while.

Most often, I save lists with new movies I would like to see, new music-cd releases or todos.
The main advantage of tomboy is, in my opinion, the fast and easy accessibilty combined with easy organisation of the notes.

macogw
October 31st, 2007, 09:19 AM
I love tomboy. I use it for note-taking in classes. The wiki stuff and the outline-style bullets are great, because i can put the outline the teacher uses on the board as one thing then link each item to a note. That results in having a sort of Table of Contents for each lecture. Key terms can get their own notes, and then when they are referred to by another note (for ex, i have "state" as one note since the state is different from the regime or government, and when i reference the state) it links to that note so you can look up the vocab word as you study.

tubasoldier
October 31st, 2007, 09:29 AM
No, i dont find any use for it. If it was like an OSX widget I would understand using more.

ajeffreys
October 31st, 2007, 10:31 AM
I use quite a lot actually and it has proved quite useful. :)

PartisanEntity
October 31st, 2007, 10:47 AM
I usually don't use it, but recently, after installing Ubuntu 7.10, I used it to keep track of customizations, installations, tools, set-ups and apps I wanted to add. So far it has been quite helpful.

EdThaSlayer
October 31st, 2007, 11:08 AM
You can do things faster with Gedit? In Gedit don't you have to worry about saving the file and typing the name for each file you want to save. Also, with Gedit you will have to open the file etc... Tomboy does all of that for you. It organises basically everything for you. You can't search your "notes" in Gedit can you?

graabein
October 31st, 2007, 11:24 AM
I use it quite often, since I don't like to have multiple files with notes lying around. Furthermore, one file with all the notes would become quite confusing after a while.

Most often, I save lists with new movies I would like to see, new music-cd releases or todos.
The main advantage of tomboy is, in my opinion, the fast and easy accessibilty combined with easy organisation of the notes.

I agree whole heartedly. Tomboy is great. I wish they find a way to sync it online so I can have the same notes on different computers.

Maybe with an option on each note for "public access" so I can browse my notes with a cell phone. Make a simple layout with note names on the front page for each username (i.e wap.tomboy.com/username) and a click to open them.

FurryNemesis
October 31st, 2007, 11:31 AM
I love it. I cross-wiki lots of little notes, just like you would with post-it notes. The advantage is that I can see immediately what I've crossliinked and how it fits together, and they're in one space. Also, they don't fall off the wall.:popcorn:

AndyCooll
October 31st, 2007, 01:52 PM
Yeah, I use it often.

It's great for keeping little snippets of notes etc. Anything more advanced and I create howtos using gedit, but for something quick Tomboy can't be beat.

:cool:

Polygon
October 31st, 2007, 03:11 PM
i use it and have about 100+ notes with it. its great for small things like todo lists, and i also use it to keep track on how do do certain things, like what packages to install for DVD playback, what console commands to enter to get something to work right, its great :D

daynah
October 31st, 2007, 03:35 PM
How is gedit easier? Gedit you have to save. Yes, you can ctrl+s but that is one small thing you don't have to do in TomBoy. Anywho.

I use TomBoy for ToDo lists. If my todo lists are hidden away in a folder I don't see them. If they're BAM on my menu bar I groan and am more likely to perform the task.

(For those who use TomBoy for notes, Basket is much better)

Incense
October 31st, 2007, 04:19 PM
Tomboy is great for school. Super easy to take notes, no worries about saving, it's easy to link notes together, and I can get them back with one click. Spell check isn't too bad either!

crimesaucer
October 31st, 2007, 05:27 PM
I put terminal commands in there that are difficult to remember, I also use it for notes and reminders...

Vadi
October 31st, 2007, 05:46 PM
I really like it, I use it as my "todo" list, among other various notes and useful terminal commands.

My only complaint is that I really dislike the forced bulleted list, as I don't like it, and I can't find an option to turn it off. That, and it seems somewhat big for just a note-taking app.

Otherwise, yep, good thing :)

WinterWeaver
October 31st, 2007, 06:12 PM
Wow thanks guys!

I have been using Tomboy notes.. but just for quick things, like terminal commands, and quick telephone number notes etc. but I never bothered with links etc.

because of this thread, I fooled around with some note linkage just now... and it's actually sooo nice! I should have played with it aaages ago lol

:KS:KS:KS:KS:KS

WW

conehead77
October 31st, 2007, 06:13 PM
no, i use zim :)

sanderella
October 31st, 2007, 06:21 PM
This thread is irritating me so much, I just have to say NO!

Why didn't you make it a poll?

GGrrrrrrr:twisted:

FranMichaels
October 31st, 2007, 06:23 PM
I agree whole heartedly. Tomboy is great. I wish they find a way to sync it online so I can have the same notes on different computers. *snip*

This feature is available.
Are you running Ubuntu Gutsy? :)

:KS

Tomboy is fantastic, I use it for notes and To-Do's.
Anytime I need to jot something down fast, Tomboy is the application to use.

rowanparker
October 31st, 2007, 06:39 PM
No I have a pack of PostIt notes right next to me instead :)
It's just more likely to get done if its there.

Spr0k3t
October 31st, 2007, 07:57 PM
I can't use Tomboy as I refuse to use any application which utilizes mono as the underlieing source. Instead I use google notebook. I like it quite a bit as it does the same thing Tomboy does, only across any computer I use. That's critical since I access anywhere from 5 to 50 computers any given day.

I wait for the Tomboy replacement.

ticopelp
October 31st, 2007, 08:04 PM
Yes, all the time, for reasons already given -- I like having notes readily available that I don't have to save or find. I can open it up, jot something down, and I'm done. No muss, no fuss.

I don't use it for heavy-duty text editing, but it's very useful for its intended purpose: note-taking.

Incense
October 31st, 2007, 08:05 PM
I can't use Tomboy as I refuse to use any application which utilizes mono as the underlieing source. Instead I use google notebook. I like it quite a bit as it does the same thing Tomboy does, only across any computer I use. That's critical since I access anywhere from 5 to 50 computers any given day.

I used to use google notebook as well, until I realized that I needed those notes, and I was not online.

Lord_Dicranius
October 31st, 2007, 08:07 PM

Pardon my ignorance, but what's wrong with mono? (I'm not programmer, so this is just an honest question :))

Sand Lee
October 31st, 2007, 08:14 PM
This thread is irritating me so much, I just have to say NO!

Why didn't you make it a poll?

GGrrrrrrr:twisted:

lol, I didn't expect this thread to garner so many replies :) . I don't think I can add one now, but I'll make a note of it for the future.
And wow, this thread has many interesting uses for Tomboy that I would've never thought of. I think I'll give it a try :guitar:

daynah
October 31st, 2007, 08:15 PM

I don't like to use Google. They're taking over.

diskotek
October 31st, 2007, 08:20 PM
i'm using it sometimes...but not very often.

Rustafur
October 31st, 2007, 08:51 PM
Tomboy, I love it. I use it for: To-do lists for my website, To-do list for "RL", jotting down notes that seem to pop-out and explode from my scattered brain, saving essential step-by-step guides for my Ubuntu machines, a quick copy-and-paste "clipboard," if I was still in college Tomboy would have made my life 1,000 times easier for note taking.

And like it's been said before in this post, Google Notebook is awesome, so long as your internet is up and running.

... No muss, no fuss.

On a side note, I use this phrase often too, but what the heck is a muss?

ticopelp
October 31st, 2007, 08:53 PM
I used to use google notebook as well, until I realized that I needed those notes, and I was not online.

That's my barrier as well. Maybe if there were some sort of offline version, but even then... meh.

Sand Lee
October 31st, 2007, 09:07 PM
On a side note, I use this phrase often too, but what the heck is a muss?

I don't know man but it sounds quite nasty... maybe a mixture of dust and some liquid?

ticopelp
October 31st, 2007, 09:16 PM
http://www.answers.com/topic/muss

getaboat
October 31st, 2007, 10:46 PM
I don't like to use Google. They're taking over.

Yeah - I know where you are coming from . I was going to use Google as my bridge for syncing calendars across platforms but I got an uncomfortable feeling about them - weird.

Vadi
October 31st, 2007, 11:39 PM
Actually one thing that bugs me, that I remembered of, is that you can't Redo. Or is there some odd key combination for it that I'm not aware of?

earobinson
October 31st, 2007, 11:41 PM
Im a fan of tomboy I heard they would have a google notes intergration one day ... cant wait for that.

dmber
December 17th, 2007, 04:12 PM
anyone have a decent tutorial on how to really get the most out of tomboy? i'm trying to figure it out but i'm not seeing it's use other than as sticky notes.

for example: how do you guys use the features that make it more than sticky notes (linking, etc.)

Depressed Man
December 17th, 2007, 04:14 PM
I love tomboy. I use it for note-taking in classes. The wiki stuff and the outline-style bullets are great, because i can put the outline the teacher uses on the board as one thing then link each item to a note. That results in having a sort of Table of Contents for each lecture. Key terms can get their own notes, and then when they are referred to by another note (for ex, i have "state" as one note since the state is different from the regime or government, and when i reference the state) it links to that note so you can look up the vocab word as you study.

I should do that..but I need to find a way to sync it between my desktop and laptop. Plus it's not accessible between the two operating systems. Partially why I take my notes in ODT format.. so both Vista and Ubuntu has access to them.

Vadi
December 17th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Partially why I take my notes in ODT format.. so both Vista and Ubuntu has access to them.

+1.

That's the whole point of the format.

noelvh
December 17th, 2007, 04:50 PM
New Guy here.

I am moving over from Freespire and I used a app called Basket. It's for KDE but it works in UB, as I tested it out last week. For me it is more like keynote a windows app. I use it for keeping commands, and other linux stuff I learn in one location. I then back up the file and sent it to my gmail account using Gspace. this way i have a copy of the notes at home and work.

Noel Vh

atomkarinca
December 17th, 2007, 05:16 PM
Tomboy is very useful for me, not just note-taking but the linking notes in between is excellent.

I don't know man but it sounds quite nasty... maybe a mixture of dust and some liquid?

If I'm not mistaken muss means confusion :)

hanzomon4
December 17th, 2007, 06:34 PM
I use it to create linked notes on topics I'm researching. These notes might be a general overview of my research project with links to people I need to contact for more information. On the notes with the contacts I may have name, phone number, email address(clickable), positions/company, and a link to a note containing questions that I need to ask. I may also include a little bio with links to other topics this person may be connected too wikipedia style.

That's just one example but tomboy has many uses.