PDA

View Full Version : Consumer Ease of Ubuntu or other Linux Distribution

kroynos
October 31st, 2007, 04:16 AM
removed

aysiu
October 31st, 2007, 04:20 AM
I'm curious as to how you could have been playing around with Linux OSes for the past twenty years when Linux has been around since 1991.

1991 + 20 = 2011

It's only 2007 now.

I don't see why Ubuntu's installer should ask questions of people who don't know what kinds of programs they want. Ubuntu installs sensible defaults. And then how hard is it to go to Programs > Add/Remove and select more programs to add or some to remove?

-grubby
October 31st, 2007, 04:20 AM
that was your wife's first time looking at Ubuntu. I was just like that when I started using Ubuntu

kroynos
October 31st, 2007, 04:25 AM
My bad on the years thats correct it has been around 1991, so 16 years give or take. But the point i am trying to make, everything is set to defaults on most installations. Think of it right at the beginning of the installations, let the consumer decide what installation they want.

Example:

Home Linux Edition
Linux Pro
Ultimate Edition

yea i am using Microsoft crap name but it just an example...

Kroynos

-grubby
October 31st, 2007, 04:36 AM
we don't need more editions of Ubuntu. We have desktop and server. Done.

aysiu
October 31st, 2007, 04:39 AM
My bad on the years thats correct it has been around 1991, so 16 years give or take. But the point i am trying to make, everything is set to defaults on most installations. Think of it right at the beginning of the installations, let the consumer decide what installation they want.

Example:

Home Linux Edition
Linux Pro
Ultimate Edition

yea i am using Microsoft crap name but it just an example...

Kroynos
I believe other Linux distributions do have such a choice at the beginning of the installation (Xandros, Fedora, and Mandriva come to mind).

Ubuntu doesn't want to confuse users with a lot of choices. It believes in sensible defaults the user can change later once she's familiar with the system.

PmDematagoda
October 31st, 2007, 04:43 AM
Ubuntu already has those features built-in doesn't it? I mean, normal users can now install plugins and applications using Add/Remove, plugins for FF can be installed very easily and the X-server is more simplified, this is the simplistic part.

Ubuntu is also powerful, people who like to do things manually can still do so since the compiling installation methods are still there and people can tweak Ubuntu to fit their needs for performance.

And anyway, if it's applications you are looking for, then there are 3rd party derivatives of Ubuntu such as the famous Ubuntu Ultimate, Linux Mint and so many others.

What do we need Home Linux and Linux Pro for?

MrFSL
October 31st, 2007, 05:26 AM
that was your wife's first time looking at Ubuntu. I was just like that when I started using Ubuntu

And I was the same way when I first used Windows or any other OS.

Unless you programmed yourself you need to learn how to use it.

And if anyone has been using Linux for even 3 years you would see how Ubuntu has philosophically evolved to be more and more user friendly and is IMHO a easiest and most logical Linux distro to date.

Lastly, as a long term Linux user you would think that you would setup your desktop environment and customize it to your family's particular expectations. Unlike other O/S's both Gnome and KDE are HIGHLY adjustable.

macogw
October 31st, 2007, 09:38 AM
And if anyone has been using Linux for even 3 years you would see how Ubuntu has philosophically evolved to be more and more user friendly and is IMHO a easiest and most logical Linux distro to date.

I don't see it as being any easier than Debian. Maybe Sarge's installation was harder (don't know, never tried oldstable), but Etch's text install is the same as Ubuntu's and it has a GUI installer now (but I've never used it).

kroynos
October 31st, 2007, 12:36 PM
I never said Ubuntu system was a poor OS, I love it to death, i suggested Ubuntu to be more desktop simplified less tools and programs, there is things that a desktop should carry for a consumer side. thats why have a selection at the beginning of the installation and let the consumer decide what would be best for them. Go for no experience to the most experience user. I agree with all your comments, cause i feel the same way as all of you.

kroynos
October 31st, 2007, 12:44 PM
Ubuntu already has those features built-in doesn't it? I mean, normal users can now install plugins and applications using Add/Remove, plugins for FF can be installed very easily and the X-server is more simplified, this is the simplistic part.

Yea I agree with you there.

Ubuntu is also powerful, people who like to do things manually can still do so since the compiling installation methods are still there and people can tweak Ubuntu to fit their needs for performance.

I Agree with you there again, people should have capabilities to do that, I can do that for my wife no problems there at all, but i am looken through consumer side of things.

And anyway, if it's applications you are looking for, then there are 3rd party derivatives of Ubuntu such as the famous Ubuntu Ultimate, Linux Mint and so many others.

What do we need Home Linux and Linux Pro for?

It was an example.

MrFSL
November 1st, 2007, 02:19 AM
I don't see it as being any easier than Debian.

As far as the initial installation I would agree. However, I used to be die-hard debian. It is what I used at work and it was on almost all the servers I used to manage, the problems arose out of hardware support post installation (which could be arguably still called part of initial installation although outside the installation program or wizard.)

There is one initial reason why I switched to Ubuntu (again - initial reason) and it was hardware support.