PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to Evolution for birthdays

Nonno Bassotto
October 31st, 2007, 02:33 AM
I'm using Evolution and I like the way it works. The only problem is that I'm constantly struggling to have birthdays reminders.

A known bug prevents Evolution to play an alarm for the Birthdays calendar, even if it should, so you have to manually check the calendar from time to time. This was annoying enough, but now I'm not even able to use the Birthdays calendar. It suddenly became blank (the birthdays are still set for the contacts). Whenever I modify a contact, his birthday appears in the calendar, only to disappear the next time I launch Evolution.

So I'm looking for an alternative. I just need any application that
1) Is able to remind me a birthday
2) Can synchronize with Evolution contacts

2) is fundamental: I don't want to manually write every birthday, and update the list every time I add another contact to Evolution. Then it maybe a web app, a cli application or whatever, provided it works. :)

Any ideas?

msubzwari
October 31st, 2007, 07:06 AM
I use google calendar. It can import your existing data from a CVS file. You can set up reminders to be SMS'ed to your cell phone in addition to email and pop-ups.

Nonno Bassotto
October 31st, 2007, 07:17 PM
Can I import birthdays from Evolution Contacts to Google Calendar? Otherwise it is completely useless to me.

msubzwari
November 1st, 2007, 09:59 AM
I don't use Evolution so cannot confirm it.
Google calendar can import calendar data from any calendar app as long as it can be exported as CSV file.

Nonno Bassotto
November 1st, 2007, 08:58 PM
Thank you for your suggestion, but the whole point of the question and the reason why I'm looking for a replacement is the fact that Evolution doesn't create a Birthday calendar anymore. So I need to import the data from the Evolution Contacts directly. :(