PDA

View Full Version : Forum regulars: discussion

pmasiar
October 30th, 2007, 10:33 PM
I'd like to place discussion about merits of thread Who is who: Forum regulars (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=597210) into this thread. So months late, when emotions and dust settled, newcomers don't have to browse and skip over non relevant misunderstanding.

Now I have even better title:

"Forum regulars, or 'Let me introduce myself' "

pmasiar
October 30th, 2007, 10:55 PM
Slavik had good comment in main thread:

the bridge between an expert and a beginner is the intermediate one. Experts were once beginners, a very long time ago. Intermediate people were beginners a few years ago. It is easier to for someone of intermediate skill to teach stuff to the beginner than an expert.

In a mathematics professor's mind, integration by parts is obvious, not so to the beginner.

Very true. It is rare expert who still remembers how hard it is to be a beginner! :-)

tenmillionmilesaway
October 30th, 2007, 11:04 PM
Someone once told me that and 'ex' is a has been and a 'spert' is a drip under pressure (and i know that expert doesn't have and s in it)

dataw0lf
October 30th, 2007, 11:13 PM
Someone once told me that and 'ex' is a has been and a 'spert' is a drip under pressure (and i know that expert doesn't have and s in it)

Not to mention it's spelled 'spurt' ;)

hecato
October 30th, 2007, 11:16 PM
I think it is more good those names....or "show off".

Like I said, I like the idea of know more about the people (though it will be a brief look).

But I will like also to have things specific to programming, like links, people blogs, tutorials, references for refresh my weak areas (or areas that I don't remember), on programming and things like that, but we only have a subforum for a subject that I dont know (lol). You know in fact handle a programming community is a big thing ;). Also will be nice if you post programming places, I remember win32asmcommunity, flatassembler board, masm forum (thought Im not an expert at assembly), but you see, those boards are to oriented, and even there, they have lots of subsections (still they dont have more infrainstructure than a board, like blogs, FAQS, tutorials, references, etc).

I vote for the introductions of people. Dont know if that help people answer or ask more or less, but is a nice thing.

tenmillionmilesaway
October 30th, 2007, 11:19 PM
Artistic license.

Seriously though, i find it hard explaining things to a beginner although i am by no means and expert :) and would have to agree with the quote from Slavik.

matthew
October 31st, 2007, 12:48 AM
We don't have karma in these forums for a reason. Taking it upon yourself to "fix" a problem that we don't consider a problem is either arrogant at worst, or thoughtless at best.

There are people in these forums with a total of 15 posts to their credit that can code circles around anyone that might be mentioned in a thread like this one. There are others with thousands of threads, all good responses from intermediate programmers to beginners. There are also some wannabes hanging around. I trust our community to help newcomers sort through advice given, in a way that is respectful and that doesn't smack of elitist attitudes.

I've never seen a thread like this end well, and I don't care to see if this one can be the first. I'm closing the discussion with a gentle reminder that it may be beneficial to reread the Forums Code of Conduct (http://ubuntuforums.org/index.php?page=policy) and consider if there are better ways to accomplish the positive goal of helping users than the creation of lists of good/bad advisors, etc.