PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a media PC? If so what is your setup?

clancymf
October 30th, 2007, 08:22 PM
I have been thinking about building a media computer to replace my rented DVR box and to have a pc in the living room.

However my budget is very limited. I wanted to see what/how everyone else had theirs set up.

After googling I found many how tos and use these parts, but all seem to be dated. What is your setup and how much would it cost if bought today.

Thanks!

JBAlaska
October 31st, 2007, 04:55 AM
Have a look at Mythbuntu, it's based on Ubuntu Gutsy with MythTV. I've been building mediaservers for friends and family for a couple of years, I first started using ******* for the OS because early MythTV installs were a little shaky.

Since I started using Mythbuntu I've been able to use computers with much lower specs and still get good performance.

I built one recently from a old dell 4600s (1.7-GHz Celeron & 384 RAM), I added a 200GB HD and installed Mythbuntu. The friend I built it for is very happy with it although he doesn't use it for a DVR, just for storing and playing movies and music on his TV. Cost: about $130.00us

My personal mediaserver is based on a HP Pavilion a737n (AMD64 3200+ with 1GB ram) that was given to me. I added 2-500GB and 1-400GB HD's and a ati tv wonder pro (also given to me) and used a old 9600 pro video card that I had lying around. I had to add a 80mm side fan to keep the HD's cool, other than that it's stock. I use a softmodded xbox classic running XBMC as a second frontend in my bedroom.

I only intended to use it until I could afford to build a custom box, but the darn thing works so well that I'm going to keep it until it dies. It's been running 24/7 for over six months without a hiccup. I figure I have about $550.00 in it (the cost of the HD's and fan).

If you hunt around for hardware you don't have to spend $1000+ to get a decent box, and Having 1200+ movies and lots of music available at the click of a wireless mouse or a IR remote is very sweet!

clancymf
October 31st, 2007, 02:41 PM
Thanks for reply. I think this is going to be my next project and from what you have said it doesnt sound like I will have to drop a ton of $$.

<Quote> I use a softmodded xbox classic running XBMC as a second frontend in my bedroom </Quote>
Wow. I have an old xbox laying around I should look into doing this!

l.capriotti
October 31st, 2007, 02:52 PM
Wow. I have an old xbox laying around I should look into doing this!

..or better: try to jump into XBMC for Linux :)

http://www.xboxmediacenter.com/wiki/index.php?title=Linux_port_project

It's still in its infancy, but it promises a lot! If only there would be some more developers it could annihilate MythTV.

Cheers
Luigi

Jose Catre-Vandis
October 31st, 2007, 03:18 PM
I use GeexBox (www.geexbox.org)

Not a fully fledged media PC (no TV recording) but is easily setup, will run on just about any old PC, and handles anything I throw at it.

I do my TV recording on a separate box, and GeexBox pulls all the medai from an NFS server in the garage :)

cyclefiend2000
October 31st, 2007, 03:21 PM
have any of you ever tried freevo? i downloaded a freevo live cd the other day, but havent tried it yet.

JBAlaska
November 1st, 2007, 12:44 PM
@clancymf, The xbox classic makes a fine standalone media server or frontend for one. It's very simple to softmod it using either the game exploit method (opening the case not necessary, but you have to have one of the supported games and a memory card) or the hotswap method (requires opening the case and connecting to a PC with a special boot disk).

Both methods will give you a fully modded xbox that does everything a chipped xbox does with a $0 cash outlay! The only downside to using a xbox for a MS is that the fan is rather loud, this can easily be remedied by replacing the fan with a silent one. This site has everything you need to do the softmod;

http://www.xbox-scene.com/ or PM me if you want more info.

@l.capriotti, I've been watching XBMC for linux for some time and I truly hope it continues to develop. The XBMC interface and ease of use is second to none imho.

@Jose Catre-Vandis, thanks very much for the link. When I looked at the screenshots for GeexBox, it seemed a bit simplistic but after looking at the iso filesize of 10MB, I looked closer!. Also the PPC version is just what I need for the old G3 I have gathering dust. I'll be trying it tomorrow.

@cyclefiend2000, I've never tried freevo but from what I've heard, Mythbuntu is a better option.

Have a good one guys!

clancymf
November 1st, 2007, 07:00 PM
@JBAlaska- Believe it or not, I have never even considered modding my xbox and had no idea what xbmc was. I have spent my free hours after reading your posts looking into it and I think I am going to give it a try.

The only problem that I foresee is that all the how-tos for the ndure softmod (not the game exploit) have been written for windows users and require the running of a .exe file. In order to learn ubuntu I completely got rid of any and all windows systems. I have never used wine, so i have been looking for a linux how-to and have not had much luck. I may just use a friend machine to make the required iso cause I would really like to mod the xbox this weekend.

Ill let you know how it went and thanks for putting the ideas into my head. :)

clancymf
November 7th, 2007, 06:16 AM
@JBAlaska,

Wanted to let you know that I successfully hotswapped and now have ndure 3.1 mod installed.

My question is how did you compile the source code, as well as install XBMC.
I have seen many tutorials, but all seem to again be written for windows users. I cant seem to figure out a way of googling it without getting all the info on the Linux version of XBMC.

Any help would be appreciated..

Thanks,

markp1989
November 15th, 2007, 09:40 PM
mine is currently a work in process, i use geexbox, doesnt to recording, but plays everything i have tried, and it works with my ati remote wonder

porschify
November 15th, 2007, 10:36 PM
I bought the "Green PC" from Walmart, bought an external tv tuner from newegg and threw Mythbuntu on it. It works surprisingly well.

browneye253
November 16th, 2007, 02:42 AM
Have a look at Mythbuntu, it's based on Ubuntu Gutsy with MythTV. I've been building mediaservers for friends and family for a couple of years, I first started using ******* for the OS because early MythTV installs were a little shaky.

Since I started using Mythbuntu I've been able to use computers with much lower specs and still get good performance.

I built one recently from a old dell 4600s (1.7-GHz Celeron & 384 RAM), I added a 200GB HD and installed Mythbuntu. The friend I built it for is very happy with it although he doesn't use it for a DVR, just for storing and playing movies and music on his TV. Cost: about $130.00us

My personal mediaserver is based on a HP Pavilion a737n (AMD64 3200+ with 1GB ram) that was given to me. I added 2-500GB and 1-400GB HD's and a ati tv wonder pro (also given to me) and used a old 9600 pro video card that I had lying around. I had to add a 80mm side fan to keep the HD's cool, other than that it's stock. I use a softmodded xbox classic running XBMC as a second frontend in my bedroom.

I only intended to use it until I could afford to build a custom box, but the darn thing works so well that I'm going to keep it until it dies. It's been running 24/7 for over six months without a hiccup. I figure I have about $550.00 in it (the cost of the HD's and fan).

If you hunt around for hardware you don't have to spend $1000+ to get a decent box, and Having 1200+ movies and lots of music available at the click of a wireless mouse or a IR remote is very sweet!

Do you use this setup as your DVR (Tivo) for you house too?? I'm in the process of planning out my system and your post will be a nice starting point I think.

@JBAlaska,

Wanted to let you know that I successfully hotswapped and now have ndure 3.1 mod installed.

My question is how did you compile the source code, as well as install XBMC.
I have seen many tutorials, but all seem to again be written for windows users. I cant seem to figure out a way of googling it without getting all the info on the Linux version of XBMC.

Any help would be appreciated..

Thanks,

The best bet is to grab it from the FTP that is compiled nightly. You can get the address from an irc channel or shoot me a PM and I'll pass along all the details for you. XBMC is an awesome media player... I'm floored at all they can do w/ the little bit of hardware that is in a classic XBOX.

erimar77
November 16th, 2007, 06:39 AM
mines a mac mini with front row and azureus being fed with an rssfeed to grab my favorite shows

clancymf
November 16th, 2007, 03:34 PM
Do you use this setup as your DVR (Tivo) for you house too?? I'm in the process of planning out my system and your post will be a nice starting point I think.

The best bet is to grab it from the FTP that is compiled nightly. You can get the address from an irc channel or shoot me a PM and I'll pass along all the details for you. XBMC is an awesome media player... I'm floored at all they can do w/ the little bit of hardware that is in a classic XBOX.

Thanks for the advice. I used T3ch compiled installation and it seems to be working just fine. Now I have to replace the fan since its a bit loud. THis has definitely revitalized my xbox.